Fugue (408)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by es! View Post
    Ahem it's probably slightly OT but could anybody have mercy and explain a poor foreigner what "tuning" means?
    As one foreigner to another, I think they're talking about auto-tuning of the voices while singing.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
      As one foreigner to another, I think they're talking about auto-tuning of the voices while singing.
      Oh, thank you! But how is one supposed to recognize something like that? I don't know much about music but all of them sounded natural in the ep....
      "Are you like, a crazy person?"
      "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

did any one else notice that in the library Helen is drinking Tea out of a coffee cup - its very obviously a coffee can shape and not a typical British teacup.
        ----------------------------
        You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
          did any one else notice that in the library Helen is drinking Tea out of a coffee cup - its very obviously a coffee can shape and not a typical British teacup.
          No, its not my typical coffee cup.

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
            Meh, you can drink coffee or tea from it. What struck me about the cup was that it was empty and clearly unused!
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Oh, thank you! But how is one supposed to recognize something like that? I don't know much about music but all of them sounded natural in the ep....
              Its pretty easy actually. There are the obvious ones where the Singing voice doesnt match at all with their normal voice, then there are the stronger Autotuned ones like Will and Abby, a rule of thumb for me so far has always been that if you hear the voice vibrate at the end of a note then it is probably tuned since a newbie cant control his voice like that.

Helen for Examle is almost not Autotuned at all, its noticeable that she doesnt sing as clear as Abby. While she is holding her Notes her voice vibrates but not in a constant pattern like when Abby does it. Henry and Wills first time were genuine also, but then they needed to Tune Will so he wouldnt stink to much at the side of Abby.
              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                Its pretty easy actually. There are the obvious ones where the Singing voice doesnt match at all with their normal voice, then there are the stronger Autotuned ones like Will and Abby, a rule of thumb for me so far has always been that if you hear the voice vibrate at the end of a note then it is probably tuned since a newbie cant control his voice like that.

Helen for Examle is almost not Autotuned at all, its noticeable that she doesnt sing as clear as Abby. While she is holding her Notes her voice vibrates but not in a constant pattern like when Abby does it. Henry and Wills first time were genuine also, but then they needed to Tune Will so he wouldnt stink to much at the side of Abby.
                Thank you! So you mean Abby was autotuned? I think I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread that she was a trained singer...

Comment

Thank you! So you mean Abby was autotuned? I think I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread that she was a trained singer...
                  I posted before that I wasnt sure about her. She sounded to good in comparrison to the others, so either she had to have been Autotuned to death or well trained. Maybe its also a combination of both, great singing with a bit of finetuning.
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                  Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

I'm not sure about PH being auto-tuned, I assume that as a trained opera singer she doesn't need it.
                    On FFnet or AO3

Comment

I'm not sure about PH being auto-tuned, I assume that as a trained opera singer she doesn't need it.
                      Trained Opera Singer? Now that explains everything. XD
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                      Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

It was mentioned on twitter, don't know how accurate it is though.
                        On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Meh, you can drink coffee or tea from it. What struck me about the cup was that it was empty and clearly unused!
                          Well you can drink tea from a jam jar but would Helen Magnus drink from anything less except proper wedgewood :-)
                          ----------------------------
                          You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

I just finished watching so this post will be incoherent as hell (my post-sanctuary rush posts always are). And Ive read SOME of your responses but not all so Im sorry if it has already been mentioned

OK this episode was really good no really! I loved the suspense.
                            And OMG the wall in the beginning. I laughed way too loud....
                            But I was bothered by Will in the end.
                            I mean I understand his feelings and all, but the way he snapped at Magnus (and not apologize) was a bit off for me... but ok thats just me. And her being all 'oh Will you're so awsome' WTHELL?! (or, what the Hel-en ... )

The musical aspect of it.
                            As a musician my toes curled up at some of the poor choice of digital instruments (drums sounding like pancakes etc. ). But Im hard to please so... I found Abby by far the best singer. In all I heard some forms of autotuning. You can hear it most clearly when they hold a note for a longer period. When they stray (which is normal for untrained musicians) the autotune brings them back. Its a horrible tool to use on vocalists (ok, its a horrible tool to use in general ). My friend disliked the musical aspect of it, I didn't I really enjoyed the songs.

Jup for sure watching this again laster on this week.. and perhaps posting a more ... thoughtfull(?) review.
                            sigpic

Me @ Livejournal, Youtube, Tumblr Deviant-art and my band: Alantia

Comment

Wiki sez that PH attended a conservatory acting program at a university.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascale_Hutton

Comment

Will's just a boyfriend, not next of kin. If Magnus was going by the book she probably shouldn't even have consulted him or informed him of her status until she'd spoken to the next of kin. We don't know if Abby has any relatives, for all we know she was an only child and her parents are dead and I believe that in such a case the doctor is allowed to make the decision that is in the patient's best interest.
                                Yeah, but given the secret nature of Abby`s condition, Will was really the only one Magnus could consult (she`s sure as hell not letting Gavin make a decision like that!) I feel like even if it was legal it maybe wasn`t the ethical thing to do. And I thought it was kind of cold how Magnus made Will think he could decide when explaining the options, and then when he said no go "well too bad".

Comment

Working...
                                X