No announcement yet.

Homecoming (406)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There were about a million times when Magnus almost shot Adam, I can't kow which one you're talking about. If she had killed Adam on the cliff or in Breach, she would never have learned about Hollow Earth. Adam plays a talking game. As for his actions in Hollow Earth, they never would have happened if Druitt and Tesla hadn't let him go. Plus Adam is a fictional case where reason didn't exist in the mind of Hyde.

The bird people weren't hostile and only flew away when Magnus back was turned, there was no need to stun them because at the Sanctuary they would have just talked around in circles like they did everywhere else.

Helen herself doesn't avoid violence when she feels it to be necessary. But it's never her first option. She exhausts every other option first. I would be disturbed by a show where the supposed hero had no qualms whatsoever about shooting people.

Comment

Favourite quote? ''Let's not count our abnormals before they hatch''.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
        Wow, I was very impressed with this episode, and I think it hit it on levels again.

I went in with high-ish expectations, and I wasn't disappointed. Robin did a fantastic job, and I really think that his first time as a director was very well done, and he should be proud of himself. This episode reminded me of Hangover, and I'm glad to see Sanctuary is still as fresh and sharp as it ever was by telling 2 stories. Helen was awesome in this episode, and I loved the humor with the A story, it was very well done. Quite a few things in this episode had connections to RL and even Stargate, the uniforms, the flag with the "Sancts" on it, and I think I saw a little Stargate like thinger next to it. I even thought of Amanda and Robin at Arma when I heard Henry say "The Bickersons" and at the end when Will asked if Helen's always been a brunette, and she said no.

It was very good to see a new side of who Will is, and I think young and "Our" will really showed the troubles he and his dad faced when he was growing up. Bruno and Sheila did a great job in the A story, and they both added a lot of wit and humor to this episode, and they brought out funny sides to Helen, Henry and Biggie. Overall, it was a solid episode, and I'm proud of this, and Robin should be as well.
        Well, we know that from the flashbacks to the Victorian era.

I...sort of liked the episode.
        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
        Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
        If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
        Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackandal View Post
          She's not a soldier. She's not going to shoot someone when talking is an option. An admirable trait, to say the least.
          True but Magnus does tend to hesitate...yet she simpy can't afford to. You only have to look at what happens when she hesitates if only for a second. She may not be a trained soldier but she is one in other ways.

I'm enjoying this ep so far.
          I do enjoy watching Ozzie & Harriet...or rather Bruno & Sheila. But I don't trust them.
          I love when Sheila tells Biggie about the "woman" he left behind in the city & how she still has a lock of his fur...and Biggies reaction - sweet!

The Will storyline was pretty good. I actually didn't mind it except for the part with him stopping in the middle of a riot with a stash of cash on him...anyone could have seen that scenario coming. But I like how they showed us his background with his dad.

Seeing the end & finding out that Bruno & Sheila were telling the truth all long and that the orphans really did exist and they were also bird abby's...just too cute.
          And Henry vrying. Awww.
          And Bruno...awww...he's a daddy now and needs to get a job!

And it's about time we had a happy family reunion...very touching end with Wills dad coming back in time for his birthday...well done!!

I think this ep was lovely...funny & lovely. Not kick a$$ but a nice change.
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I liked the Episode.

Interrestingly, there was a post on the previous Episode about Magnus being one step ahead of everybody is boring. Well, here we have completly oblivious Magnus, not that good either.

I think Bruno and Sheila crossed them so many times, because they tried to get some money on the side. If they had come to Magnus in the first place, she would have simply helped, but they needed to do this running around Game so they would have some money left over for themselfs in the end.

I didn`t care much for Wills Storyline, though that is for personal reasons since I had flashbacks on my own when watching this.
            Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
            Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
            There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
              I get that diplomacy is important, I do. I admit I don't have the patience for it, and so I usually leave it to other people. But there comes a point where you have to cut your losses and do what's in the interest of the common good. She could have saved all of Praxis and the trouble of living a repeated 113 years if she'd just shot him right then and there in the terminal.
              Umm...she did. In Pax Romana Adam stuns Will after he confronted him in the transport station. Without a word of warning, Helen comes in and shoots Adam in the chest. When he doesn't surrender she shoots him again, it was only because of Druitt that Adam survived those injuries.

As for the episode, I rather enjoyed it. The 'Angry Birds' were fun (plus I got a laugh at Henry playing the game in Magnus's office), and I liked seeing Helen and Henry working together as a team again, they work so well together. Couldn't help thinking that if they'd just said they needed Magnus's help saving the abnormal children in the first place things would have gone more smoothly, but they do seem like the types that can't help trying to play someone even when it makes things more difficult. The ending was a bit over the top, but Henry's 'every time' helped cut some of the cheesiness.

Getting more backstory on Will was nice, the set up for Will's injury and flashbacks could have been done better IMO, though I liked the tie in to recent Liberian elections. I do hope these revelations about Will's dad and their relationship have some relevance later in the season, otherwise while interesting they feel a little out of place with the recent storylines.

Great job to RD on his first time directing, I especially like the lighting in the Liberia scenes and the transitions to and from the flashbacks.

sigpic

Comment

just three words needed -

Helen and Henry

Loved Mama Magnus and little Henry. It seems that Mama Magnus has had many moments of praise for Henry in the last few episodes. I love that they're showing more of that relationship. SO much better than Helen/Will.

The mention of Biggie's girlfriend? His reaction to the comment about her keeping a lock of fur was hilarious.

Helen being speechless - twice - was probably the most hilarious part of the episode. It was great to see her struggle with keeping her patience while in their presence. And when she closed the door to the isolation room and said "peace!" - classic!

There were many great Helen moments here, including her comments about being more flexible with their allies and not judging things at face value. Guess there's new rules for the Sanctuary now. Mama Magnus has to do some teaching, it seems.

And I can't forget to mention - Helen & the gang kicking ass is now "The Law of the Universe". Love it!

My full review can be found here
                sigpic

Comment

After the disappointment that Resistance was for me, I was worried about this episode. I now know I shouldn't have been! To me it was the best episode since Tempus!! I loved almost everything about it.

There were some great lines/situations:

- Biggie to Henry after they met the birds: "And you wonder why I'm still single?" :-D

- Loved how Biggie felt embarrassed when the female bird told him about the abnormal who's into him and LOVED the horny face and noises after the girl said "she still keeps a lock of your fur!" :-D

- Helen's look after the birds' story about orphans when they discovered the diamonds was priceless!

- Will to Helen: "Were you always a brunette?"
                  Helen: "Not always"

- I wish A and B-plots were always so complementary. I found Will's storyline interesting and the parallelism with the birds looking for orphans added something to it.

- I thought the flashbacks were very well filmed: the fact that what Will remembered was happening in the same room made it very special to me.

- I liked the end very much: I'm happy for Will and the last scene with the birds was sweet, though very cliché.

- I appreciated that Helen was fooled by the birds, who lied to her without her knowing so twice. That makes her look more human to me me.

- Once again, I hope well get to see Henry more often, I really like him!

- Oh and I was telling myself that Robin is really a good actor. I don't get why they make him act so childishly sometimes! He was touching in this episode.
                  Last edited by Abnormal; 12 November 2011, 02:36 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Abnormal View Post
                    - I liked the end very much: I'm happy for Will and the last scene with the birds was sweet, though very cliché.
                    Exactly...it was a happy ending. I know they keep saying this season is darker than the previous 3 but this was such a beautiful ending...one of the best for me.
                    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                      Exactly...it was a happy ending. I know they keep saying this season is darker than the previous 3 but this was such a beautiful ending...one of the best for me.
                      Exactly! Same here!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                        Umm...she did. In Pax Romana Adam stuns Will after he confronted him in the transport station. Without a word of warning, Helen comes in and shoots Adam in the chest. When he doesn't surrender she shoots him again, it was only because of Druitt that Adam survived those injuries.
                        Okay, I'm curious now. I'm obviously of a different mindset-- maybe because I'm impatient, maybe because I'm military...

But Magnus is obviously a very good shot. She has to be, as old as she is and with the practice she's had over the years. She winged him deliberately on the cliff in For King and Country-- which is okay. At that point, that was a perfectly reasonable plan of action. But after Breach, and in Pax Romana, where he's leaving a trail of bodies through Praxis (at this point nobody knows if those men were dead or alive, right?) I'm wondering when they'd realize that trying to talk him down, or trying to give him second chances to change his mind just won't work. Yes, Magnus shoots him in Pax Romana. But he was barely moving, and so I can only assume she deliberately did not make it a kill shot.

I understand the need to keep him around. He's a good villain. But it's sci-fi. He could die and come back to live no problem, if done right.

And to bring it back round to this episode, the principle still stands. How can a woman who's survived so long, seen the things she seen, done the things she's done... How can a woman like Magnus have repeatedly continued to trust these guys who in this very instance had lied and double-crossed her again and again. Sure, they might have good intentions. But I just can't help but feel that Magnus would be more practical than that. Maybe she didn't need to shoot them-- but she needed to wisen up to the fact that she CANT TRUST THEM.

Oh, and KayLyne-- I love the Magnus/Henry interaction too. I'm glad it continued from last episode. It's one of the things I wanted from Season 4, and they've delivered. Woohoo!

Comment

Will's story was so boring I almost stopped watching altogether

Comment

Originally posted by selene0789 View Post
                            Okay, I'm curious now. I'm obviously of a different mindset-- maybe because I'm impatient, maybe because I'm military...

But Magnus is obviously a very good shot. She has to be, as old as she is and with the practice she's had over the years. She winged him deliberately on the cliff in For King and Country-- which is okay. At that point, that was a perfectly reasonable plan of action. But after Breach, and in Pax Romana, where he's leaving a trail of bodies through Praxis (at this point nobody knows if those men were dead or alive, right?) I'm wondering when they'd realize that trying to talk him down, or trying to give him second chances to change his mind just won't work. Yes, Magnus shoots him in Pax Romana. But he was barely moving, and so I can only assume she deliberately did not make it a kill shot.

I understand the need to keep him around. He's a good villain. But it's sci-fi. He could die and come back to live no problem, if done right.

And to bring it back round to this episode, the principle still stands. How can a woman who's survived so long, seen the things she seen, done the things she's done... How can a woman like Magnus have repeatedly continued to trust these guys who in this very instance had lied and double-crossed her again and again. Sure, they might have good intentions. But I just can't help but feel that Magnus would be more practical than that. Maybe she didn't need to shoot them-- but she needed to wisen up to the fact that she CANT TRUST THEM.

Oh, and KayLyne-- I love the Magnus/Henry interaction too. I'm glad it continued from last episode. It's one of the things I wanted from Season 4, and they've delivered. Woohoo!
                            If I recall correctly, Adam only used a weapon that stunned in Praxis, the one with a sort of shock wave? I agree Magnus deliberately shot to disable and not kill in the shoulder/chest area and again on the opposite side when it didn't do much. But she seemed ready to make the kill shot when he tumbled into the transport-thingy and got away (thank you very much, John). Also, there's a deleted scene from King and Country in which she tells Will to talk to Adam and try to understand his psychosis because if he can be helped and brought back, he could be a powerful ally. So it was clear from the start (well, if they had included the scene that is ) that she still wanted to help Adam. In a way they're not that different after all, we saw how losing Ashley affected her; she was ready to find a way to die but only because of her conscience she left the tomb because she didn't want to be responsible for the zombies. Adam had been closer to being a mad scientist from the get go and it was one of the reasons they were The Five and not The Six; they didn't trust him and his intentions, but he only really lost it after losing Imogene...

Oh and she told John in Into the Black that she would have taken care of things herself if she'd been in the transport module, instead of letting Adam convince her to go back in time. At that point (having shot him twice) she finally realized Adam couldn't be saved and was a danger to society and therefore was willing to kill him.

In this case, I don't think him dying and coming back to life would have been a good move considering he'd already 'died' and come back twice. I like how they handled Adam's character and how the others dealt with him (well, except for John and his foolish ideas to bed Magnus).

As for this episode, I think Magnus made it pretty clear she didn't trust Bruno and Sheila but knowing them, she knew there was some truth in their stories and wouldn't be able to forgive herself had she not gone through with the plans and it turned out our flying friends were telling (some of) the truth all along. Like she said, things have changed and they can't judge everything at face value anymore.

I'll write my impressions of this ep later today as I still haven't made up my mind about it.
                            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackandal View Post
                              Favourite quote? ''Let's not count our abnormals before they hatch''.
                              There were quite a few fav lines in this ep ... that being one of them. The "Ozzie and Harriet", Will asking Helen if she's always been a brunette, Bruno realising he was going to need a job... Great non-verbal reactions too - Biggie when told his ex kept a lock of his hair, Henry's face when he ruined Will's surprise, Helen's reactions to Bruno and Sheila countless times

Is it wrong that when Helen was flashing the light in Will's eyes, my first thought was "Wait, shouldn't that be Janet's job???" Sigh...

Not sure I liked the Will & Dad storyline. The transitions to/from the flashbacks were technically well done, and the kid they had playing him was believable. WTH kinda hairpiece did they use on him as an undergrad??? I really felt for his dad when he told Will to not get involved with his prison case, and Will walked out -- I can understand Will's reaction, but also where his dad was coming from. The reunion at the end though seemed predictable and without real emotion, which was a bit of a letdown, IMO.

I *loved* Bruno and Sheila. Could be because they reminded me of people I used to know... (at one point I almost turned to my mate and ask if they were supposed to be flying chavs, but refrained ) I don't think they were honestly trying to screw Magnus & Co over so much as they had a (highly convoluted) plan and were trying to make it work regardless of what wrenches were thrown in the mix. Yes, it would have been easier to come straight out to Magnus about the orphans, let her check the story and take point ... but it was *their* find, *their* idea, and *their* rescue to make. They just needed Magnus to have it work. It's hard to give up when you want so desperately to be the hero (in Bruno's case), and it wouldn't surprise me to find Sheila was afraid she wouldn't get to adopt the wee ones if the Sanctuary became in charge. Not that I believe that would have been the result - Magnus would surely see the reason to allowing the orphans to stay with Sheila and Bruno as a family - but I *would* believe Sheila thinking the 'high'n'mighty' Magnus wouldn't think they were good enough to be parents. We see a different side to Magnus than the abnormals on the street would, especially ones who were annoyances as opposed to proper allies (at least that's the impression I got from Helen and Henry's conversations about having to not be as picky with their contacts anymore).

Not as kick-arse as some eps, but nice comedic timing from many of the characters, fun abnormals, and a B-plot that while it didn't *add* or necessarily compliment the A-plot, also didn't detract from it. A decently fun ep - and we definitely need those every once in a while!
                              ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                              ames on facebook
                              ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                out of the mouths of babes, my 4 year old niece watching a flashback, 'is that a young harry potter?'
                                I'd been thinking the exact same thing.
                                i was thinking that too (but i thought it was because i was just watching it before i turned sanctuary on.)

refering to the page before. wasn't there a bird guy in season 1 with ashley, but he was killed? i kept feeling like we should have known who they were. but i do love how they had helen, henry and biggie all know them lol.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X