Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there would only be one discussion thread, I don't think the link is even necessary in the Announcements only threads. But now there are several threads in which news is discussed and several announcement only threads which makes it easier to confuse what goes where. If there's one of each (I still think the twitter/facebook thread could be joined with the news) there shouldn't be any confusion.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

As long as there is understanding that sometimes the 'news' won't necessarily be Sanctuary news. Sometimes it's just the cast/crew/publicity having fun.
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

ok, I've added a poll. Everyone please vote and let your preference be known.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

the poll will be open through the weekend. So if you know anyone that doesn't come that often, you may wish to tell them to come and vote.

Then, based on the results, we'll talk things over next week with the goal of having something relatively settled before the show starts. There is one rub in the timeline, I do have some family stuff going on so there may be some 'off' days for me. Still to be determined on that.

So, going into this, if anyone has any suggestions, or wishes to say 'yeah, like that one', please do so. Let's brain storm ideas and see what we can come up with.

sigpic

Comment

Like this one

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
            In other words
            Episode Folder - like we have now unlocked as the episode is released. - NO spoiler tags needed unless it's a future episode.
            Season 4 folder - With the only News Thread and a Discussion thread - NO spoiler tags needed.
            General folder - (1) discussion thread (can include anything not considered a spoiler - pics/tweets/any season discussion/chit chat- including actor appearances), (#) character/ship threads, (#) game threads, (1) fan fiction thread - YES spoilers tags needed.
            sigpic

Comment

OK here's a suggestion based around what seems to be the two underlying problems (people not being able to find threads easily and people wanting sub folders to tidy things up a bit).

If you have a couple of folders for Character threads, games & fan works etc like in the Stargate section, you'll move over a third of the active threads and people will be able to find the other general type threads easily. Also if you move the live discussion episode threads to the Episode Season folders it will tidy things up a little too (I think some were at one stage).

I suggest leaving most of everything else the same as it is now, minimum change for maximum satisfaction. Maybe merge the Sanctuary -Reviews & Articles #Announcements ONLY# thread and the Sanctuary - Actor News & Appearances into one Sanctuary News Announcement thread. Spoilers need to be tagged as it is now and discussion can take place in the Sanctuary Discussion thread.

The main Sanctuary Discussion thread should be easily found if you move the character & games etc threads to sub folders but for those who still find it difficult then there are several methods to make it easier, subscribe to the thread, sticky the thread or put links to the thread in the posts. All are fairly simple remedies and will result in both sides of the split news and spoiler threads issue being satisfied.

As above, leave the spoiler announcement thread and discussion thread separate and use whatever technique for easy access is decided on above.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                In other words
                Episode Folder - like we have now unlocked as the episode is released. - NO spoiler tags needed unless it's a future episode.
                Season 4 folder - With the only News Thread and a Discussion thread - NO spoiler tags needed.
                General folder - (1) discussion thread (can include anything not considered a spoiler - pics/tweets/any season discussion/chit chat- including actor appearances), (#) character/ship threads, (#) game threads, (1) fan fiction thread - YES spoilers tags needed.
                Again I think for discussion purposes you try to group people together.

Those that don't want spoilers for season 4 - do you read the news sections? What part of the forum do you frequent the most?
                I'm not sure about this - "Season 4 folder - With the only News Thread and a Discussion thread - NO spoiler tags needed." Ann could you clarify how you see this working in regard to posting spoilers? Would they go in the news thread? If so, wouldn't that mean that all spoilers need to be tagged?

I can see having pics and tweets etc in the General thread being a problem. There's good reasons why they have separate threads. Bandwidth (slow connections/low download limits) is a problem for some people and pics are often bandwidth intensive, also pics tend to go with thunking and there's a reason for that having separate threads. As for tweets and Facebook posts that's a thread for people that don't use those types of social media, are you really going to bombard the people that do use it with the same information? That thread has a lot of activity.

"Again I think for discussion purposes you try to group people together." - I generally agree but you group people with the same tastes together and keep the ones with extremely different tastes apart. Spoilers, shipping and thunking are polarising topics and need to be kept separate.

You also need to be able to balance / control the people that just want to be happy, smiley people all the time and post lots of light fluffy posts against those that want more serious discussion / debate. Especially those at the opposite ends of the spectrum, which is why you can't successfully have one happy thread where everything goes (anyone remember when we only had one thread??).

Apart from the few things I mentioned, I liked your simple approach of grouping things together and isolating one of the problem areas for ease of access. However (you knew there was a but coming didn't you? ) it results in a lot of active threads in a general section which seems to aggravate the problem of some people not being able to find threads easily.

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                Like this one
                Yeah, we need more suggestions so we can brainstorm.
                -

Comment

yes, more suggestions are good.

For the record, the sanctuary s4 folder was made by Darren and it's in preparation of the official episode threads going there. If we decide to more more (such as preairing threads for each eps or the such) that'll be up to us.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not in favor of having more than the Official Episode threads for each episode. I believe having episode threads beyond the official ones would just cause more confusion as to which thread should be commented in when the episode airs. The episodes can be discussed in the general discussion thread as long as everyone remembers to tag any spoilers and use the Official Episode thread for any that have aired...just putting in my preference.
                    sigpic

Comment

I guess what i was thinking of was something like the live airing thread, being also a pre airing speculation for each episode, that morphs into the live discussion, which gets closed once the episode airs. just trying to think of a way to confine spoilers to a singular thread per episode to allow for discussion while still protecting others from reading what they don't want to.

maybe something like we have the main discussion thread, we start a pre-airing about a week before, it morphs into the live discussion and then is closed....so each episode specific thread has a week lifespan.

so:

announcements/spoilers only - no discussion
                      discussion thread with spoilers tagged that runs all season
                      specific episode discussion thread, no spoilers tagged for the episode, with a week's life span (with the caveat that if hte brits or canadians want to make their own live discussion as it airs for them they can make one like we did this last year)

sigpic

Comment

I have to agree with JanSam, I don't really see the point of having a pre-air thread. If people want to speculate about the upcoming episode based on previous events, they could just speculate away in the thread for the most recently aired ep...

Something like:
                        Ooh wow, today's episode was awesome! I especially liked *character* in *scene*, although *other character* could have been a bit more *something*. I wonder how this is going to play out next week, maybe *this* or *that* will happen now that we've seen all of this!
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

How about this:
                          Make an episode sticky and get the oficial seasons threads inside;
                          Make and News, Actors apperances, Spoilers sticky and get every thread related to that inside;
                          Make an Charcters, actors sticky and get every thread related to that inside;
                          Then maybe an Art sticky and let the rest of the forum "run wild"

Cleanear yes, but we'd have to go in evey one of the stickies to see new stuff.

Comment

I assume that with thread you mean folder/subforum?
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                              I assume that with thread you mean folder/subforum?
                              I think so, exemple:

Seasons folder, inside S01; S02... inside each season its eps.
                              News, actors and spoliers Inside Spoiles seperated by season, the news and reviews and actor news (for guest and stuff);
                              Actors and charaters is just a folder with all the actor/characters inside.

Comment

the poll results suggest that a majority want things to be restructured a bit. so... between here and Wednesday can folks list their ideas please.

What would be helpful would be if folks could sketch out how they'd like folders to be made.

For example:

SANCTUARY

Season 1 folder
                                Season 2 folder
                                Season 3 folder
                                Season 4 folder

and then how they'd imagine any other folders existing and what would reside in them.

What I'm aiming for is, can folks make it 'dummy legible' for me so everyone is on the same page and we'll run another poll at the end of the week and see which option a majority chooses.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X