No announcement yet.

evaluation of Kate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

add to that that she's Indian, but not with an accent, not in a sari, not a puter geek or working in the service industry....she breaks a few cliches so far anyway
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think Kate is a great charactor. Don't get me wrong Ashley was awesome as well and will miss her always. But am glad they didn't leave a blank spot in the show!!!
      MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
      MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
      POLARIS TORONTO 2007
      CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
      GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
      VCON VANCOUVER 2010
      FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        add to that that she's Indian, but not with an accent, not in a sari, not a puter geek or working in the service industry....she breaks a few cliches so far anyway
        Yep, an Indian on US TV that's not a doctor/computer geek/scientist is a rather rare find, so it is refreshing for me to see something different.

Plus, if they want to, there's a very interesting underground culture in Mumbai the writers could explore via Kate in the S2 finale.

sigpic

Comment

I think, if i were to have anything 'against' Kate, it'd be like any other character that's acting the brat. I don't have much patience for a character - young or old - who just acts the brat. I dont' find them endearing, i don't find them fun, I usually think 'thank goodness I don't have to deal with that character in real life'

Kate started out a bit bratty. But she's mellowed. The avarice has died out - for which i'm grateful. that kind of 'show me the money' gets old fast.
          If by "brattiness" you mean, constantly sarcastic, cynical, negative, back-stabbing, and selfish....then I don't have any tolerance either. I still don't see Kate showing many positive qualities, but I may have been so turned off at the beginning I don't want to look anymore.

It's like they couldn't ship helen and will, tried to ship ash and will, realized that it wouldn't work out, possibly because of the mother/daughter dynamic, so wanted to go for another female taht was shippable.

we're lucky that helen's role on the show isn't the half of any pairing (beyond Helen/Her Job), but it seems that there's a push to get a romantic angle in there, and Kate seems to fit that better than Ash.
          Why can't Will (if that is who they want to "ship") just have a normal girlfriend? Why does it have to be somebody at the Sanctuary?

Doesn't mean i don't like Kate. I enjoy her now. I like how she respects but doesn't worship Magnus. seh calls her on stuff, questions her adn Helen needs that. Helen is so confident with her decades of knowledge and know how that sometimes she needs someone to ask her the tough questions and say 'so?' or 'why?'

I think Helen might enjoy what might be the beginnings of a female friendship. I don't think she's had that for a very long time. She could never be a relaxed friend with Ash, she was ultimately still her mother. and everyone else she's involved with are guys. Kate is a rare female that's close to being Helen's equal - at least in the attitude area - and I think Helen has discovered that she likes it. She likes having a 'girlfriend' that knows what it feels like to be surrounded by guys
          I could see Helen seeking friendship too. There was another thread talking about Helen and I offered up a few names of women pioneers in science and math. I could see this type of character being more equals and friends than somebody at the Sanctuary. Because Helen is the boss at the Sanctuary. Just like she could never be a true "friend" to Ashley, she couldn't be a true "friend" to Kate if she is the boss.

But then I got to thinking about the whole longevity thing and wondered if Helen has learned she has to "grow" her future staff/friends/colleagues? A sort of succession planning scheme for all her personal contacts. She knows she'll be around for a long time and has seen too many people come and go.

So she finds young people, develops them in the capacity she wants/needs, and several years later ends up with staff to run the Sanctuaries (I see Will destined for this task like Declan, maybe Kate too), colleagues who Helen has helped with technological breakthroughs (could be stories using the pioneers I mentioned), and friends who know something about Helen's background and can be friends without getting hung up on her longevity or career.

In this vein, I could see Helen taking in all sorts of people (those with good qualities like Will and those with bad like Kate) to see how they pan out. In her world, people would have to have a little more back bone and hutspah than normal and maybe that is what she sees in Kate, if all of the other "brattiness" can be beaten out of her.

Obviously, I've had way too much time to think on my hands lately

Comment

i can see helen recruiting for the long term.

You know, the qualities that many don't like with kate can be part of what makes her valuable.

we've seen that there's a massive black market for abbys. and it's something that helen & co need to deal with on a consistent basis. deal iwth and combat.

and how better to combat these people than to use 'one of their own' against them?

Kate has the knowledge and experience to allow Helen insight into these groups of bad guys. Kate has contacts that Ash would never have and never be able to develop.

I don't think helen's willingness to bring kate in is all premeditated, but i do think she's seen that she needs to develop for the future, needs to plan, and sometimes you have to dance with the devil to learn how to turn off the music.

sigpic

Comment

I miss ashley and i miss what she COULD have been. IMHO, she spent a chunk of s1 being used as a foil to banter with will, to be a pretty face in a tanktop and to generally just BE.

the mother/daughter part was rarely dealt with, and i miss that potential. i miss what she could have been. thus far with Kate, despite her rather cliched start, they haven't sexualized her. the banter hasn't been overt and flity, her clothing style hasn't been ott revealing..so i can deal. I have a short tolerance for the typical TV 'let's make sure the pretty woman is well shown off' attitude.

Beyond that, I like the potential for Kate to redeem herself. to work towards another future or outcome than 'disposable cabal resource'. I have no strong feelings about her either way, so i'm willing to wait and see what she becomes. Can Damian & co break teh cliched mold and make her unique?
              You are chaneling me... ^^ Wot you said...
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Has the last few episodes changed your opinion of Kate? For the better? For the worse? Not at all?

For me, no my opinion hasn't changed. I still don't care for the character.

Comment

i never hated kate, i was sort of neutral - i was just puzzled by how quickly she changed alliances, but i guess once her brother was safe she was free to do as she thought best ... i really like her now. the scene where ravi flirted/teased her in 'kali' was lovely!

for me, kate is a much better character than ashley (which is no reflection on the lovely lady who played her), i just think ashley's personality didn't seem right for someone brought up in the sacnctuary by helen ... i always felt she should've have been less petulent teen and more demure - still kick ass, but less 'dude/awesome' in her way of speaking, etc ... the street wise thing suits kate as she's from outside if you know what i mean?!

can't wait for season three!

Comment

I like Kate much better now, and I would miss her if she were gone in season 3. As long as she doesn't go back to her former arrogant self, I can enjoy her. However, I totally agree with Tiger:

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
                    I think the whole switch from bad to good isn't believable. She was introduced willing to sell BigFoot to the highest bidder and in one episode she's willing to fight for them.
                    I just don't believe it. Fleeing from the Cabal; yes. Being a member of Sanctuary; no.
                    Her evolution makes no sense. But considering I like her much more now than then, I'm more than willing to forget how poorly she was introduced to begin with.

Anyway, I still want Ashley back. They don't replace each other at all: Ashley was interesting for her relationship with her parents; Kate is interesting for her street knowledge and somewhat external vision of the Sanctuary. We need both!
                    My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                      Has the last few episodes changed your opinion of Kate? For the better? For the worse? Not at all?

For me, no my opinion hasn't changed. I still don't care for the character.
                      i never minded kate coming on the show, b/c i wasn't all that big of an ashley fan to begin with. i didn't dislike ashley, i was just kind of meh about her. i very much loved the mother/daughter relationship, but more in theory than what was actually shown on the series. lots of wasted potential there...

the only thing i was afraid of with kate was she being another vala, like from stargate sg1. but thankfully, she wasn't written (or acted) that way, so i was greatly relieved.

but how do i really feel about kate? i like her. i like her more than i liked ashley. i also feel that the last few eps have really shown that kate is part of the sanctuary *family*, not just a member of the crew.

i give kate a !
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't say I've become a "fan" of Kate, but I've accepted her. Dang it, DK said we would, how dare he successfully manipulate me!

I think they handled her change from "will make a deal with anyone smarta**" to "loyal to the Sanctuary smarta** " pretty well. I liked her scene with Helen in Kali.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                          I wouldn't say I've become a "fan" of Kate, but I've accepted her. Dang it, DK said we would, how dare he successfully manipulate me!
                          They said that the fans were supposed to hate her at first and as the season progress they would come around and start to like her, and that's exactly what happened, so yes it seems they successfully manipulated us, not that I mind. I think Kate is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by LunaSolTierra View Post
                            They said that the fans were supposed to hate her at first and as the season progress they would come around and start to like her, and that's exactly what happened, so yes it seems they successfully manipulated us, not that I mind. I think Kate is awesome.
                            Not everybody. I'm still not buying the "turnaround" nor do I like her attitude.

Comment

^do you think she'll backslide? I think if her family's threatened, her loyalty to the Sanctuary would be iffy.

Poor Agam was in the unenviable position of coming in while we were dealing with the loss of Ashley. And I don't think she was written very well in the early eps--pretty cliched. They're at least trying to develop her character a bit.
                              and I find her more interesting than invisi-girl. I was really afraid they were going to make *her* a regular.

Comment

invisigirl seemed to be a booty call...and a potential complication for any will/ash ship they'd develop. then with ash gone, the complication didn't need to be there, and invisi's power could have been a bit difficult to use regularly from an effects pov

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X