This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also from the Vancouver Film School:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Find Sanctuary

Friday May 11th 2007, 8:41 am

Sanctuary is an upcoming big budget science fiction series scheduled to premiere Monday, May 14 exclusively on the show’s website, and it stars VFS Acting graduate Emilie Ullerup (also slated to star in the upcoming CBC show jPod–but more on that later!). In Sanctuary, Emilie stars alongside Amanda Tapping, Christopher Heyerdahl, and Robin Dunn, and from what we’ve learned about the series, she plays the daughter of Jack the Ripper in this action-packed supernatural, time-traveling story of a family of monster killers.

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - SciFi Crazy: What’s Wrong With Sanctuary?:

At SciFi Crazy:

What’s Wrong With Sanctuary?

Posted by: Jimmy

When Sanctuary premiered a couple months ago I was excited to see the very interesting web series on network television. Unfortunately, the cable series quickly dispensed with the ideas brought up in the web series and turned itself into a poor man’s X-Files with a different creature every week. Sure, there have been spots of interesting television, especially with the creation of the villainous Cabal and delving into immortal Helen Magnus’ history, but for the most part each episode has been mediocre at best.

**snippage**

In January the first season of Sanctuary comes to an end with a two-part episode entitled “Revelations.” I hope the title of this episode means we actually seem some growth for the series and get a jumping off point for a much more interesting second season.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - Associated Content: SciFi Channel: 3 of the Best Shows for '08:

At Associated Content:

SciFi Channel: Three of the Best Shows for 2008

OMG! Can You Say Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis & Sancturary

By Judith Allison, published Nov 30, 2008

When it comes to science fiction and the SciFi channel, there are mediocre shows, good shows and really great shows. I think that the SciFi channel subscribes to the notion that you need all levels of writing in order to find the really great, OMG, that was awesome, must watch again and again series. In that arena falls three shows for 2008, but before I get to those, I must mention one really great show that ran for 10 years and will remain the all time great shows besides Star Trek. That show is Stargate SG-1. In its long run, it introduced us to worlds, realms and ideas that made us pause, gasp and laugh. It stands, in my opinion, as one of those shows that becomes part of pop culture and will remain a memory of a really great science fiction television show.

In 2008, I loved three other SciFi channel entrants: Stargate Atlantis,Battlestar Galactica and Sanctuary. These three shows presented unique characters, universes that were populated by villains and heroes and an overall plotline that made for great fiction and memorable televisions shows.

**snippage**

Last on that list of notable entrants is Sanctuary. It just premiered in the fall of 2008 starring Amanda Tapping of Colonel Carter fame. What makes this show fascinating is in its uniqueness. It is completely different than any show you've ever seen. The premise is about the adventures of Dr. Helen Magnus who is a brilliant scientist who takes care of the fringe people, you know those nightmares you read about but would never like to meet. Her job is to keep the secrets of this clandestine population offering Sanctuary to those who are hiding amongst the human population. Not all of them are that nice, but all of them are different. She recruits a forensic psychiatrist named Dr. Will Zimmerman played by Robin Dunne, and along with her daughter, Ashley played by Emilie Ullerup, and a tech wiz named Henry she looks to unlock their mysteries and why they exist. We have an evil villain played by Christopher Heyerdahl who is out to destroy her operation. The plots, virtual sets and extraordinary special effects as well as the tight characterizations make this show a standout success amongst the other SciFi channel entrants.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - Pop Syndicate: Review - 'Requiem':

At Pop Syndicate:

(Please follow the link for the complete review. The review author rated this episode with 4 out of 5 stars.)

Sanctuary (1.09): Requiem

12/12/2008

by Amber Spence

Requiem is one of the episodes I had been waiting for the group to produce, it felt too short instead of shorted by TPTB. Ironically enough it is in the episode where the least amount of things happened that stands out as the most remarkable. It was neither a big budget nor a display of creatures that brought out the goodness of this episode. It all happened in a sub made from parts of the plane in the Kush episode.

**snippage**

Without a living host, the parasite oozes out of her and Will freezes it with some handy liquid nitrogen nearby. He then frantically tries to revive Helen, who eventually comes back to the land of the living. Will pleads not to be asked to kill her again, and they both agree that day was not meant to be the day Helen’s legacy passed onto Will.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - Pop Syndicate: Review - 'Warriors':

At Pop Syndicate:

(Please follow the link for the complete review. The review author rated this episode with 4 out of 5 stars.)

Sanctuary (1.10): Warriors

12/19/2008

by Amber Spence

Abnormals + Fight Club. Thanks to TPTB that is not what was presented in this past episode of Sanctuary. What we received was more character development, which is always welcome. There is also another taste of the Cabal, funding the fights between new abnormals.

**snippage**

Turns out Charlie is Helen’s father and was brainwashed like everyone else involved via a scarab on the base of his spine. He had created very similar abnormals in the past and the Cabal felt the need to capitalize on it. In his brainwashed state he was set up as a spy for the Cabal, but Helen cut him open and removed his mental captor. Will fights in a four man brawl and is about to put the hurting on Danny when Henry and the crew show up to calm him down. The build-up is done quite well considering earlier episodes, but it is best viewed and not read. Will and Danny are detoxed for the happy ending, but Will is left wondering where the “juice” ended and he began.

Helen’s father turns down the offer to stay with them, attempting to divert the attention of the Cabal. He then exits grandly. Overall, this is still one of the good journeys with the group. It is a hair predictable, but it works for the show.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - TV Spy (UK): Pick of the Day Dec 22 '08:

At TV Spy (UK):

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

Pick of the Day | Monday 22 December

9pm, Sanctuary, ITV4

Magnus’ secret house of monsters is in danger of being discovered tonight after a vicious abnormal attacks a TV news crew at a shipping warehouse. Magnus and Will arrive to save them - but the good Samaritans’ actions backfire when the reporters follow them to the Sanctuary on a mission to get footage of the creature…
              Rekha Sharma, who plays Amy, one of the reporters, will be familiar to Battlestar Galactica viewers as Tory Foster.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - The Hollywood Reporter: TV flips the switch:

At The Hollywood Reporter:

TV flips the switch

Several series played trading places in '08

By Nellie Andreeva

Dec 22, 2008, 09:18 PM ET

Manny Ramirez and Brett Favre aside, there were relatively few sports stars changing places in 2008.

However, you couldn't say the same about TV shows. Several series switched homes this year, including "Project Runway," "Scrubs," "Beauty and the Geek," "Inside the NFL," "Nashville Star" and Tyra Banks' talk show.

And after years of promise, the Internet-to-TV series pipeline finally started to produce (albeit mixed) results with transplants "quarterlife," "Sanctuary" and "In the Motherhood."

**snippage**

The year was touted as a watershed year for Internet content migrating to primetime. The poster child of that transition, Marshall Herskovitz and Ed Zwick's Web drama "quarterlife," lasted just one episode on NBC.

With far less fanfare, HD Internet series "Sanctuary" did solid business in its TV incarnation on the Sci Fi Channel and earned a second season order. Next up is the debut of ABC's adaptation of the online comedy series "In the Motherhood."

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - SyFy Portal: Review - 'Instinct':

At SyFy Portal:

(Please follow the link for the complete review.)

By PAUL AUMAN
                  Source: SyFy Portal
                  Dec-22-2008

Rehka Sharma’s shows step into camera, and there’s an ensuing “Cloverfield” shaky-cam style introduction to our guest protagonists right away. If you’ve sat through the last two or three very slow-moving episodes, this one picks up the pace immediately.

**snippage**

What Worked

This was a fun little venture for the series. I enjoyed the film technique mostly because it broke up the monotony of the last several episodes. The action was well paced, and my whole family sat to watch, riveted to the screen.

Guest star Rekha Sharma was fun to watch. All of the stars had some pretty enjoyable and frequently comic interaction.

The storyline was interesting enough and engaging while somewhat predictable in places in terms of what the "Sanctuary" crew was going to discover along each step of the way/ But sometimes knowing what’s coming isn’t as interesting as how it’s revealed.

I think they’ve got a good thing going here when Damian Kindler (creator) is writing. S.A. Adelson’s direction added a unique look to the show among its other episodes.

Let’s hope they keep this up ... the finale next week looks more on the action side as well, so perhaps the producers have clued into their target audience as the production has moved along. I think this bodes well for a/the second season.

What Didn’t Work

Anyone even remotely connected to the genre will recognize the “Blair Witch Project” and “Cloverfield” film technique, at this point perhaps getting a little old, but I still enjoyed it as a bit of variety for the series. Some occasions, especially during the initial meeting of the "Sanctuary" staff and the film crew, seemed to be lacking a certain choreography that would have made the technique a little more believable, but also perhaps less easy to follow for the average viewer.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - Confessions of a Crunchy Con blog: has your favorite show gone green?:

At Confessions of a Crunchy Con blog:

Monday, December 22, 2008

has your favorite show gone green?

The Concept of Going Green

For fun today, I thought I'd highlight one of my favorite shows, which not only fits in the Crunchy Con criteria of guns and green screen but also manages to hit all the right buttons with this conservative feminist by touting two intelligent, gun-toting ladies in the lead. It's called Sanctuary, and it's just finishing up its first season on the Sci-Fi Channel.

So what makes Sanctuary unique and worth mentioning on this blog? It's the only show on television that is entirely green screen. You wouldn't think that would be possible for a show with a modest budget, but it is -- and pretty darn cool. Not only does it create an immense challenge for the actors (how would you like to act in a green screen environment?), it also completely removes any barriers that would limit imagination. When you go green screen, the environment is created in a computer and anything is possible -- from fire-breathing lizards to mermaids floating in water tanks, from a majestic sunset in Rome to the depths of the sea. In Sanctuary's case, this also includes marble floors, libraries filled with books, and grisly catacombs. Not to mention a guy with an extra face on the back of his head, and a few creepy crawlies guaranteed to haunt your dreams.

**snippage**

My dad raised a conservative feminist who believes women are just as capable as men but who also likes having doors opened for her, not because I am incapable of opening them myself, but because I demand respect. I respect men and expect them to do the same for me. There is nothing I like more than sitting down and rooting for strong, beautiful, capable women who have the courage to be who they were meant to be, who are intelligent and resourceful and respectful of one another, but don't use men for their own purposes.

Plus, there's the whole concept of saving the world, one abnormal at a time. I like that part too...

Sanctuary can be viewed online at scifi.com/sanctuary, or seen Friday nights on the Sci Fi Channel.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - Emilie Ullerup - Comic Book Resources: Paradox:

At Comic Book Resources:

(Please follow the link for the complete press release.)

Arcana Studios announces film deal for "Paradox"

by CBR News Team, Editor

Mon, December 22nd, 2008 at 1:29PM PST

Official Press Release

Arcana Studios, an award winning comic book publisher and transmedia producer, has joined forces with Emmy Award winning production company Legacy Filmworks, and production/finance group Bron Management, to produce a slate of five live-action 'genre' feature films based on Arcana comic book titles, starting with the sci-fi thriller “Paradox”, currently in production in British Columbia.

Deboragh Gabler, through her production shingle Legacy Filmworks will produce the slate, alongside Bron Management's Aaron L. Gilbert. Arcana's Founder/Publisher Sean O'Reilly is Executive Producer. All slate films are based on Arcana published sci-fi, thriller, and horror comic book titles.

“Since Aaron joined forces with me at Arcana, we have concentrating on structuring partnerships with top producers like Deboragh Gabler” said O'Reilly. He continued, “We are excited to be working with her on our films, which will introduce and showcase the work of some incredible independent comic book creators. We are also just thrilled to have these projects financed given the state of the current market. It has been tough but Aaron figured out how to make it happen ” Paradox, which was written by Christos Gage and Ruth Fletcher Gage, based on the comic series by Christos Gage, is being directed by Brenton Spencer (a top sci-fi film and TV director, perhaps best known for his work on Stargate: Atlantis and Earth: Final Conflict). The incredible ensemble cast features a host of sci-fi stars, lead by Kevin Sorbo (Andromeda, Hercules); Steph Song (jPod, and co-star with Val Kilmer in the upcoming The Thaw); Christopher Judge (Stargate); Alan C. Peterson (Shooter, Narc, Beautiful Joe); Alisen Down (Battlestar Galactica); and Emilie Ullerup (Sanctuary).

Paradox introduces homicide detective Sean Nault, a cop on a parallel Earth who is investigating a baffling series of murders committed by a means his Earth has never seen before: the power of science. Sean uncovers an apocalyptic plot that will lead him to another dimension and the realization that, unless he prevents it, both earths could well be destroyed.

Legacy' s Gabler said, “I've known Aaron a long time but this is our first endeavor together”. She added “what a great way to start a working partnership on such an exciting and timely series of films, from a dynamic and creative comic book mind like Sean O'Reilly”. Other comic-to-film slate projects include; Chopper, a horror/thriller based on a Martin Shapiro comic going to camera end of January 2009; and Sundown, a western/vampire thriller based on the comic by Jay Busbee, scheduling for April/May 2009. Future slate projects will be announced in the coming months.

The films are being sold internationally by Myriad Pictures who will be working alongside Arcana, Legacy, and Bron to brand these comic-to-film 'genre' films.

**snippage**

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - The Hachiko: Review - 'Instinct':

At The Hachiko:

(Please follow the link for the complete review. The review author rated this episode with 3 out of 5.)

'Sanctuary' (1.11) "Instinct" - Review

Mon, 12/22/2008 - 09:35 — Vrej Hezaran

Gotta hand it to Sanctuary. On the limited budget and production values affording to it by Sci Fi Channel, they tried as they might to pull off a Cloverfield-style thriller episode and it was a partial success.

**snippage**

I say this episode was partially successful because it started out with a lot of promise. It was touted as a Cloverfield-style episode, but what I loved about Cloverfield was the scale. Huge iconic buildings in New York were destroyed, cars and landmarks thrown around like toys, all the while only catching fleeting glances of the creature. Here, what we quickly realize is that there will be no such mesmerizing destruction. What we realize is that the scale is contained within a single building. Once we figure that out, the sense of awe is gone. They did manage to have some thrills while we didn't see the creature but only caught hints of it, letting our imaginations do the work. But once it was revealed that the creature was an under whelming praying mantis-like bug, it wasn't that scary anymore.

**snippage**

I'm having a hard time being very critical of "Instinct". On the one hand it became less interesting as it wore on, but on the other, they tried to do something very ambitious and probably initially had bigger plans than what ended up on screen. So should it be like Olympic diving where scores are adjusted based on difficulty? If so then this episode would get a great rating. However, I think we would have been better served by a completely different episode. Something like this should only be done if it could be knocked out of the park.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - SFX Magazine: Leah’s Picks of 2008:

At SFX Magazine, they have a feature where the editors are announcing their picks of 2008. The following if from Leah Holmes, SFX Editorial Assistant:

TOP 3 TV SHOWS OF THE YEAR

The Middleman
                          Merlin
                          Sanctuary

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                            Team Tapping eh? I like the sound of that.
                            Me too . Can I join the team?

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                            NBC Universal Village -
                            SCI FI SCORES BEST YEAR EVER IN ALL KEY DEMOGRAPHICS

Published: December 17, 2008

Program Highlights for 2008

Sanctuary
                            · In its first season on SCI FI, the original series Sanctuary has averaged a 1.9 Household rating; 1,044,000 Adults18-49; 1,371,000 Adults 25-54 and 2,366,000 total viewers, the best first season for a SCI FI scripted series on these measures since Eureka debuted in 2006.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...33#post9414633
                            Now that's always what I like to see . Oh man I still feel like dancing, what about you Spider-man?
                            Spoiler:

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                            Sanctuary - Associated Content: SciFi Channel: 3 of the Best Shows for '08:

At Associated Content:

SciFi Channel: Three of the Best Shows for 2008

OMG! Can You Say Battlestar Galactica, Stargate Atlantis & Sancturary

By Judith Allison, published Nov 30, 2008

When it comes to science fiction and the SciFi channel, there are mediocre shows, good shows and really great shows. I think that the SciFi channel subscribes to the notion that you need all levels of writing in order to find the really great, OMG, that was awesome, must watch again and again series. In that arena falls three shows for 2008, but before I get to those, I must mention one really great show that ran for 10 years and will remain the all time great shows besides Star Trek. That show is Stargate SG-1. In its long run, it introduced us to worlds, realms and ideas that made us pause, gasp and laugh. It stands, in my opinion, as one of those shows that becomes part of pop culture and will remain a memory of a really great science fiction television show.

In 2008, I loved three other SciFi channel entrants: Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica and Sanctuary. These three shows presented unique characters, universes that were populated by villains and heroes and an overall plotline that made for great fiction and memorable televisions shows.

**snippage**

Last on that list of notable entrants is Sanctuary. It just premiered in the fall of 2008 starring Amanda Tapping of Colonel Carter fame. What makes this show fascinating is in its uniqueness. It is completely different than any show you've ever seen. The premise is about the adventures of Dr. Helen Magnus who is a brilliant scientist who takes care of the fringe people, you know those nightmares you read about but would never like to meet. Her job is to keep the secrets of this clandestine population offering Sanctuary to those who are hiding amongst the human population. Not all of them are that nice, but all of them are different. She recruits a forensic psychiatrist named Dr. Will Zimmerman played by Robin Dunne, and along with her daughter, Ashley played by Emilie Ullerup, and a tech wiz named Henry she looks to unlock their mysteries and why they exist. We have an evil villain played by Christopher Heyerdahl who is out to destroy her operation. The plots, virtual sets and extraordinary special effects as well as the tight characterizations make this show a standout success amongst the other SciFi channel entrants.

WOO HOO . Go Sanctuary, go Sanctuary, Sanctuary .

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                            Sanctuary - SFX Magazine: Leah’s Picks of 2008:

At SFX Magazine, they have a feature where the editors are announcing their picks of 2008. The following if from Leah Holmes, SFX Editorial Assistant:

TOP 3 TV SHOWS OF THE YEAR

The Middleman
                            Merlin
                            Sanctuary
                            Now that rocks . I love how the show is getting a lot of good, and great reviews and it's getting into magazines and articles and what not as the top best shows of 2008 . *Squee*

Comment

http://scifi.about.com/od/tvnewsandp...eturnDates.htm

WHERE SHOWS LEFT OFF...

Sanctuary returns Jan. 2 on Sci Fi with a two-parter. Where we left off: Ashley is dealing with her father being Jack the Ripper, while Magnus discovered another of "the Five" with whom she performed augmentation experiments was trying to gain power for himself.

more at link above

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                                http://scifi.about.com/od/tvnewsandp...eturnDates.htm

WHERE SHOWS LEFT OFF...

Sanctuary returns Jan. 2 on Sci Fi with a two-parter. Where we left off: Ashley is dealing with her father being Jack the Ripper, while Magnus discovered another of "the Five" with whom she performed augmentation experiments was trying to gain power for himself.

more at link above
                                Cool .

Comment

Working...
                                X