• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Series Seeks Sanctuary - Amanda Tapping

http://newsblaze.com/story/200809121.../topstory.html

excerpt:

There's always been the saying that there are things that goes bump in the
    night -- a "bump" known as a monster. But monsters don't exist in our world --
    or do they?

From the writers and producers of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis comes a
    new show that tests that theory. Starring Amanda Tapping, who is also the
    executive producer. Sanctuary is the first exclusive sci-fi series ever shown on
    the Internet, and is now coming to The SCIFI Channel.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

Here's something to keep an eye out for next week (not only from this site, but other web sites as well):

SciFi Meshes

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Scifi Channel Digital Press Tour - 2008 Denver Colorado

Several months ago a sweepstakes was held for a chance to win a trip to Colorado to experience a weekend of ghost tours with Ghost Hunters Jason and Grant, Q&As and top notch accommodations at the famed and haunted Stanley Hotel (Stephen King’s inspiration for the Shining). SCI FI has decided to pair this incredible event with its annual SCI FI Digital Press Event, where you will be able to experience these same great opportunities, as well as some additional Digital Press-only perks centered around some of the most buzzed about upcoming projects. Below, please find a list of the incredible activities that will be happening throughout the weekend.

* Exclusive First Look at the new highly anticipated series, Sanctuary w/ Amanda Tapping
      * Q&A with Top Talent (including panels with some of our most popular reality programming: Ghost Hunters, Destination Truth, and Scare Tactics. As well as a special treat: Amanda Tapping representing Sanctuary!!)

* Nighttime Ghost Tour with Jason and Grant
      * Exciting Welcome Packs
      * 3-course Dinner at the Hotel with Top SCI FI Talent and execs
      * Sneak Peak at new BSG Season 4.5 Episodes

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

As a side note about the editor, Matt Roush made a legion of fans sing to his very name in 2003-2004 when the Save Farscape campaign was active and seeking a continuation/finale. His enthusiasm toward that series turned a lot of heads, and in general he's a pretty cool guy.

In any case, nice little mention. I hope he likes it... I hope I like it, too.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

TubeTime: Sanctuary Debut Brings Tapping to New Starring Role

By Sandhaya Mansfield, Courier Staff Writer

Excerpt :
          "After playing Colonel Samantha Carter for ten years on the hit scifi show Stargate SG1 and appearing on Stargate Atlantis for one season, Amanda Tapping is taking the lead role on SciFi channel's new installment, Sanctuary."
          -

Comment

At Pop Culture Zoo:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

Talking ‘Sanctuary’ With Amanda Tapping And Robin Dunne

By Joseph Dilworth Jr. ? September 15, 2008

At this year’s San Diego Comic Con I had the pleasure of speaking to both Amanda Tapping and Robin Dunne about their new web series turned SCI FI show, “Sanctuary.” Amanda plays Helen Magnus, who was born sometime in the Victorian era and through an as yet undisclosed accident became immortal. In the present day she hunts various terrifying monsters that lurk in the dark. In the pilot she encounters Robin’s character, Will Zimmerman, a respected psychiatrist who eventually becomes Magnus’ assistant. Though he aids her in her battle against the supernatural forces, Zimmerman still holds to a scientific explanation to all mysteries. “Sanctuary” premieres on October 3rd. Check back for our follow up interview with Amanda Tapping and possibly others in the cast and crew in mid-October. For now, here’s what we talked about back in July:

Amanda Tapping

PCZ: Yeah, definitely. So, with “Sanctuary”, you’re Executive Producer still? Are you also involved in doing any of the writing? Maybe possibly directing?

AT: I’m the go-to director. So, for example, Martin was away at a television festival and I directed Sanctuary while he was away. As far as writing, I’m involved in the white-boarding of a story, and the concepts, but I leave the writing up to the people that are good at it. I don’t have the time and I don’t have the aptitude for it. I really enjoy the concept and sitting down and going “Okay, but then what if this happened, and what if this happened.” And then I let other people flesh it out.

Robin Dunne

PCZ: Can you talk a little bit about how you became involved with “Sanctuary”?

RD: Absolutely. Actually it’s a very integral part to the show I think because - you know, Martin Wood called me, we’d worked together years ago. He called me and said “Look, there’s a script, we want to shoot some scenes. We don’t know what it is.” I read the script, I said, “Look, this is great. I’d love to be involved.” We shot, like, a promo. And we waited, you know. We got to do some webisodes. We did a bunch of webisodes and took the show to the next level. After that we waited, and waited, and kind of hung in, and turned down other work because we all really wanted to do this show. Now here we are lending it the perfect home – SCI FI Channel. It really is a dream come true, but more importantly it really galvanized in us a feeling of believing in the show. Really recognizing that this is something different, that this is not just your average job that you get as an actor or director, that this is something different. Hopefully, that feeling, that excitement that we all have – we’re working on the show, but we’re huge fans as well, and for me the excitement of talking about it that I’ve experienced this really cool thing and I can’t wait for you to as well. Hopefully that’s a feeling that comes through and people can - it’ll transcend and people will hook into it as well and say, “Hey, this is different, this is something..” because that’s how we see the show and that’s what we believe in.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Pop Culture Zoo: Talking ‘Sanctuary’ With Amanda Tapping And Robin Dunne:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....77&postcount=1

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

At SciFi Weekly:

(Please follow the link for the complete column.)

REVIEWS: SCREEN

September 15, 2008

2008 Fall Preview: Part I

By Kathie Huddleston

While it wasn't a fun year, it was an important year for television, which kicked off with a devastating writers' strike that killed shows, affected storylines and reminded the studios that writers have the power to bring Hollywood to a grinding halt. Beyond that, the Internet continued to play an important role by offering episodes online and creating original content that has its own entertainment value, including comic books and Web series that added to the mythology of a show.

While we lost a couple important shows (The 4400, The Dead Zone), there were also some series that never really clicked with audiences (Cavemen, Bionic Woman) and those that could have used more time to reach their potential (Moonlight, New Amsterdam). Jericho proved that while fans may have the power to resurrect a series, they can't always gather the necessary viewers to keep that series on the air.

Fall still remains the prime landscape when it comes to launching new shows. And while cable prefers to launch during other seasons, some of the bigger cable outlets felt comfortable going up against the big networks this fall with series like HBO's True Blood and SCI FI's Sanctuary. The other big development had to do with the resurrection of syndication for scripted drama, thanks to Legend of the Seeker.

One of the main trends in new shows has to be the continued use of a sci-fi or fantasy element in otherwise mainstream shows (The Ex List, My Own Worst Enemy). This blurring of what is sci-fi or fantasy and what is mainstream continues to become increasingly acceptable to the mainstream audience.

However, the most notable trend this season involves where the new series ideas are coming from. Most of the new shows are based on foreign television series (Eleventh Hour, Life on Mars, The Ex List), novel series (True Blood, Legend of the Seeker) or a past television show (Knight Rider). Only four scripted series offer original material (Fringe, My Own Worst Enemy, Valentine). We'll throw Sanctuary in the original category even though it started life as a Web series, since the original creative team is still behind the series.

And, as always, irony plays a part this year. Considering it takes years to get a series on the air, how odd that we end up with two shows about cutting-edge science gone wrong (Fringe, Eleventh Hour) in the same year. Or shows about organizations that download personalities into people so they become more effective spies, only to have the personalities become aware that they are not who they think they are (My Own Worst Enemy and Joss Whedon's midseason entry, Dollhouse).

All in all, it seems like a good season with enough variety, even among the similarly themed shows, to give viewers something to sink their teeth into. And better yet, when we add these new series to the continuing shows (Stargate Atlantis, Primeval) and the returning shows (Heroes, Pushing Daisies, Terminator, Smallville), it adds up to a great fall season where our biggest issue will be "How do we find the time to watch it all?" And that's not a bad problem to have.

Check out next week's "2008 Fall TV Preview: Part II" to find out the scoop on all the returning shows, midseason replacements, movies and miniseries.

**snippage**

New Shows

**snippage**

Sanctuary

SCI FI, Fridays, 9 p.m. ET/PT
                Premieres Oct. 3

Sanctuary is billed by SCI FI as the first television series to feature live actors against primarily virtual sets, along the lines of 300 and Sin City. While it began life as an eight-episode Web series, the television show features a two-hour premiere that starts at the beginning of the story. While investigating a murder case, forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne) begins to suspect the explanation offered at a murder scene. Will soon discovers that his suspicions are right. When a woman named Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping) approaches him, she takes Will to a place she calls the Sanctuary and tells him an amazing tale. According to Magnus, the world is filled with Abnormals, fantastic creatures that are the stuff of fairy-tale books and incredible legends. The world needs to be protected from some of them, while others need to be protected from the world. Magnus has made it her mission to find and study these creatures, and to offer them sanctuary if they want it. She is joined on her mission by her fearless daughter, Ashley (Emilie Ullerup), a loyal butler who looks a lot like Bigfoot and their technical wizard, Henry. As Will learns more about Magnus' world and her nemesis, John Druitt, he must decide if he can "dare to believe in the unbelievable." Sanctuary is executive-produced by Tapping, creator Damian Kindler, Martin Wood and Sam Egan.

The Outlook: SCI FI's big new sci-fi entry, Sanctuary, offers to put Amanda Tapping back in action in a very different role than that of Stargate's Col. Samantha Carter, and that's a good thing. Beyond that, it's dripping with mythology and has loads of action and extremely cool visuals, not to mention some nicely drawn characters. Along with Fringe, Sanctuary has more of a fully realized world than any of the other fall offerings. Taking up residence on Friday nights, the series should be an excellent match for Stargate Atlantis. With 13 episodes ordered, look for Sanctuary to do very well for SCI FI.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - SciFi Weekly: 2008 Fall Preview: Part I:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....01&postcount=1

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

http://www.channelcanada.com/Article2467.html

Santuary & Arlington: Section 60 Highlights TMN & MC's Otober Schedule

NEW CANADIAN SERIES

SANCTUARY
                    Sanctuary is a technical breakthrough: a 13-episode series shot almost entirely on green screen using cutting-edge visual effects and the latest in camera technology. The series follows Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping – Stargate SG-1), a 157-year old physician who studies evolutions mistakes and triumphs. She is aided in her work by her reluctant protégé, psychiatrist Will Zimmerman (Dawson’s Creek), and her fearless daughter Ashley (Battlestar Gallactica). Together they seek to find and help the strange and often frightening creatures that populate their world. Dr Magnus is on a mission to finish her father’s work and unlock the secrets behind human evolution using a unique combination of science, medicine and her own knowledge of the supernatural.

In the first episode,
                    Spoiler:
                    while investigating a double murder, forensic psychiatrist Will Zimmerman meets Dr. Helen Magnus. An insightful psychiatrist, Zimmerman displays his unique ability to connect with others when he is confronted by a boy with strange and monstrous gifts. Seeing his talents, Magnus urges him to be part of her team that investigates the strange and often terrifying creatures that secretly populate their world.

Series premieres:
                    Movie Central: Friday, October 3 at 8 p.m. PT
                    The Movie Network: Friday, October 3 at 9 p.m. ET

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      http://www.channelcanada.com/Article2467.html

Santuary & Arlington: Section 60 Highlights TMN & MC's Otober Schedule

NEW CANADIAN SERIES

SANCTUARY
                      Sanctuary is a technical breakthrough: a 13-episode series shot almost entirely on green screen using cutting-edge visual effects and the latest in camera technology. The series follows Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping – Stargate SG-1), a 157-year old physician who studies evolutions mistakes and triumphs. She is aided in her work by her reluctant protégé, psychiatrist Will Zimmerman (Dawson’s Creek), and her fearless daughter Ashley (Battlestar Gallactica). Together they seek to find and help the strange and often frightening creatures that populate their world. Dr Magnus is on a mission to finish her father’s work and unlock the secrets behind human evolution using a unique combination of science, medicine and her own knowledge of the supernatural.

In the first episode,
                      Spoiler:
                      while investigating a double murder, forensic psychiatrist Will Zimmerman meets Dr. Helen Magnus. An insightful psychiatrist, Zimmerman displays his unique ability to connect with others when he is confronted by a boy with strange and monstrous gifts. Seeing his talents, Magnus urges him to be part of her team that investigates the strange and often terrifying creatures that secretly populate their world.

Series premieres:
                      Movie Central: Friday, October 3 at 8 p.m. PT
                      The Movie Network: Friday, October 3 at 9 p.m. ET
                      Nice way to start yet another good review . Thanks

Comment

At Film.com:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Supernatural and Sanctuary tackle the Big Bads

Susan Young, Sep 18, 2008

**snippage**

While Supernatural has some cool special effects,the new series Sanctuary, which airs October 3 (9 p.m.) on the SciFi Channel, takes it to a whole new level with green screen sets and a production that comes out of Sin City and 300.

The technology allows the sets to take on a hyper-reality feel, but there's also a slight disconnect with the actors. Some reactions seem more stilted than with the more easy-going vibe out of Supernatural. The two-hour premiere looks promising, yet doesn't have that instant connect that Supernatural had from day one with relatable characters and snappy dialogue.

Sanctuary has a concept and a style that takes front-and-center priority. We would have liked a little more personality to the characters, which may evolve later after the shiny wears off of the new tech toys.

This series started out more than a year ago as internet webisodes, where we were introduced to Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Topping), a scientist modeled after Jack the Ripper. The 157-year-old doctor operates Sanctuary with the help of her new recruit Dr. Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), while her tough, beautiful daughter Ashley (Emilie Ullerup) and tech whiz Henry (Ryan Robbins) dedicate their lives to studying and protecting odd and terrifying creatures that lurk in the shadows.

Some monsters are hideous, others look like everyday people though they may be the most dangerous of all. Case in point is Magnus' nemesis John Druitt played by Christopher Heyerdahl (Stargate Atlantis).

The script was a pilot written by Damian Kindler who wrote for Stargate eight years ago before he and writing partner Martin Wood decided to take it to the internet.

"(We wanted) to explore ways to shoot it," Kindler says. "It was decided that we would start with just some R&D on the web, build an audience, build a technical shooting style."

Topping says the challenge for the actors was working on this new kind of set.

"It's just getting your head around the idea of being inside a totally virtual set," Topping says. "We talked to our director and our vis effects team, and we often have renderings that we can look at before we actually step onto the stage, so you get an idea of the scope."

Kindler says the close to four million people who saw it on the web won't be getting a rehash. We disagree. The webisodes were fuller and richer than this two-hour premiere.

"(The webisodes) really kind of cut our teeth on how we'd like to try to shoot it," Kindler says. "The series on television is a complete overhaul, like a re-boot of the concept. Even though it has the same cast and the same concept, it's much broader in scope and deeper and the characters are more dimensional. I think it's far more accessible to a wider audience."

Kindler must mean the episodes following the premiere, which is a trimmed-down version of the webisodes already online. A few of the minor characters have been recast for the series and quite a few tweaks have been made. And the premiere actually offers less, especially in the back story between Magnus and Druitt.

The webisodes were much more impressive than this two-hour premiere, which doesn't bode well for the remainder of the 13-episode season.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Sanctuary - Film.com: Supernatural and Sanctuary tackle the Big Bads:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....65&postcount=1

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                            Sanctuary - Film.com: Supernatural and Sanctuary tackle the Big Bads:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....65&postcount=1
                            Does anyone want to register for that site and correct that idiotic writer. Seriously, she can't even get Amanda's name right! And since when is Helen "a scientist modeled after Jack the Ripper"?

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                              Does anyone want to register for that site and correct that idiotic writer. Seriously, she can't even get Amanda's name right! And since when is Helen "a scientist modeled after Jack the Ripper"?
                              Knowing this fandom, some will go by and read them the riot act

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                                Supernatural fans should be aware the top half of the article contains minor spoilers for the upcoming season.

Comment

Working...
                                X