• Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tv-...ith-paid-16978

‘Sanctuary’ Star’s Leap Of Faith Paid Off

By : Chris Tribbey | Posted: 09 Sep 2009
    [email protected]

Never underestimate the power of buzz.

Amanda Tapping knew her Web series “Sanctuary” had big buzz when it was released over the Internet in early 2007. What the show didn’t have was money.

“When we set out to do the Web series, our goal was to do a multiplatform Web site, where there was a social networking aspect and a gaming aspect,” said the actress, who both stars in the show and acts as executive producer. “It was a great idea. Unfortunately we didn’t know how to monetize it.”

So when the time came to sign on long-term for the fifth season of “Stargate Atlantis,” and continue to commit to her most famous character, Col. Samantha Carter, Tapping chose the buzz from “Sanctuary” and her character, Dr. Helen Magnus.

“It was sort of one of those life moments,” she said. “I realized that if I picked ‘Atlantis,’ I was essentially throwing out ‘Sanctuary.’ I had to follow it. I had to pursue it. It was a big leap of faith. Everything happens for the right reason. I know I made the right decision, creatively and emotionally.”

A short time later, the Sci Fi Channel (now Syfy) confirmed her choice, picking up the show for a 13-episode season. The DVD of the first season comes Sept. 15 from E1 Entertainment. The show has since been renewed for a second 13-episode season, which finished filming in August, and includes an episode directed by Tapping.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Comment

http://www.channelcanada.com/Article3445.html

On Oct 9, Take Shelter with SPACE Original Series SANCTUARY Season 2

Finally, a refuge for all species opens its doors on SPACE with the original series SANCTUARY Season 2. Premiering Friday, Oct. 9 at 9 p.m. ET, this 13-part, sci-fi adventure is part of SPACE’s ongoing support of Canadian productions. Each episode is available on demand at www.spacecast.com immediately following its television premiere.

SANCTUARY follows the adventures of the enigmatic scientist Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping) who, with her team, shelter a clandestine population of strange and sometimes terrifying beings. Along with forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), Magnus seeks to protect these imperiled phenomena while unlocking their mysteries.

The Gemini® award-winning first season of SANCTUARY introduced us to a world of rare and special life forms. Full of twists and turns, Season 2 of SANCTUARY raises the bar on the excitement with gripping storylines and new characters. Enter Kate Freelander (Agam Darshi), a witty, sarcastic swindler who begins an uneasy alliance with Dr. Magnus after her relationship with the Cabal dissolves.

Through SANCTUARY Season 2, viewers can experience stunning visuals, incredible special effects and gripping adventures with a big-screen feel. Taking sci-fi storytelling to a new level with breakthrough technology, SANCTUARY Season 2 is shot almost entirely on green screen and is the first series to exclusively use the RED® camera to enhance its awe-inspiring images.

SANCTUARY Season 2 is a SPACE original production, shot in Vancouver. Fraser Robinson is Director of Content for SPACE, Rebecca DiPasquale is Manager of Development for SPACE and Rachel Goldstein-Couto is Program Manager for SPACE and The Comedy Network. SANCTUARY was created by Damian Kindler (STARGATE SG-1, STARGATE ATLANTIS), executive produced by Damian Kindler, Amanda Tapping, Martin Wood with Andrea Gorfolova, Carrie Mudd and Keith Beedie.

SPACE’s ongoing support of Canadian independent productions has been a major contributor to the success of series such as STORMWORLD, RABBIT FALL, CHARLIE JADE, GRAND STAR, SHADOW HUNTER, GIRLY GHOSTHUNTERS and TRIPPING THE RIFT. Documentaries include FAMOUS MONSTER and PRETTY BLOODY

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
        http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tv-...ith-paid-16978

‘Sanctuary’ Star’s Leap Of Faith Paid Off

By : Chris Tribbey | Posted: 09 Sep 2009
        [email protected]

Never underestimate the power of buzz.

Amanda Tapping knew her Web series “Sanctuary” had big buzz when it was released over the Internet in early 2007. What the show didn’t have was money.

“When we set out to do the Web series, our goal was to do a multiplatform Web site, where there was a social networking aspect and a gaming aspect,” said the actress, who both stars in the show and acts as executive producer. “It was a great idea. Unfortunately we didn’t know how to monetize it.”

So when the time came to sign on long-term for the fifth season of “Stargate Atlantis,” and continue to commit to her most famous character, Col. Samantha Carter, Tapping chose the buzz from “Sanctuary” and her character, Dr. Helen Magnus.

“It was sort of one of those life moments,” she said. “I realized that if I picked ‘Atlantis,’ I was essentially throwing out ‘Sanctuary.’ I had to follow it. I had to pursue it. It was a big leap of faith. Everything happens for the right reason. I know I made the right decision, creatively and emotionally.”

A short time later, the Sci Fi Channel (now Syfy) confirmed her choice, picking up the show for a 13-episode season. The DVD of the first season comes Sept. 15 from E1 Entertainment. The show has since been renewed for a second 13-episode season, which finished filming in August, and includes an episode directed by Tapping.

REST AT LINK ABOVE
        Wow, what a great review/interview . This is what I love reading, because it's written prove of how much the work of Amanda and company have really started to pay off, the title alone was one of the best things about the article, and I'm glad it acknowledged Carter as Amanda's best character .

I'm so glad Amanda choose Sanctuary, it's brought her, the cast and crew and the fans a lot of good, and I hope it goes on for a long time . Btw, I really liked this part of th interview-
        Spoiler:
        And for fans of the “Stargate SG-1” character that put Tapping on the map, no worries: Col. Carter will be found in episodes of the new Syfy series “Stargate Universe” and upcoming “Stargate” films.

“Sam Carter isn’t going anywhere,” Tapping said.

Originally posted by prion View Post
        http://www.channelcanada.com/Article3445.html

On Oct 9, Take Shelter with SPACE Original Series SANCTUARY Season 2

Finally, a refuge for all species opens its doors on SPACE with the original series SANCTUARY Season 2. Premiering Friday, Oct. 9 at 9 p.m. ET, this 13-part, sci-fi adventure is part of SPACE’s ongoing support of Canadian productions. Each episode is available on demand at www.spacecast.com immediately following its television premiere.

SANCTUARY follows the adventures of the enigmatic scientist Dr. Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping) who, with her team, shelter a clandestine population of strange and sometimes terrifying beings. Along with forensic psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), Magnus seeks to protect these imperiled phenomena while unlocking their mysteries.

The Gemini® award-winning first season of SANCTUARY introduced us to a world of rare and special life forms. Full of twists and turns, Season 2 of SANCTUARY raises the bar on the excitement with gripping storylines and new characters. Enter Kate Freelander (Agam Darshi), a witty, sarcastic swindler who begins an uneasy alliance with Dr. Magnus after her relationship with the Cabal dissolves.

Through SANCTUARY Season 2, viewers can experience stunning visuals, incredible special effects and gripping adventures with a big-screen feel. Taking sci-fi storytelling to a new level with breakthrough technology, SANCTUARY Season 2 is shot almost entirely on green screen and is the first series to exclusively use the RED® camera to enhance its awe-inspiring images.

SANCTUARY Season 2 is a SPACE original production, shot in Vancouver. Fraser Robinson is Director of Content for SPACE, Rebecca DiPasquale is Manager of Development for SPACE and Rachel Goldstein-Couto is Program Manager for SPACE and The Comedy Network. SANCTUARY was created by Damian Kindler (STARGATE SG-1, STARGATE ATLANTIS), executive produced by Damian Kindler, Amanda Tapping, Martin Wood with Andrea Gorfolova, Carrie Mudd and Keith Beedie.

SPACE’s ongoing support of Canadian independent productions has been a major contributor to the success of series such as STORMWORLD, RABBIT FALL, CHARLIE JADE, GRAND STAR, SHADOW HUNTER, GIRLY GHOSTHUNTERS and TRIPPING THE RIFT. Documentaries include FAMOUS MONSTER and PRETTY BLOODY
        Good article, I've already seen one Sanctuary promo on the Space channel, a promo which I'll be uploading soon . I heard there's another promo on Space, but I haven't seen it yet.

Comment

A Chat with Amanda Tapping
          http://www.bullz-eye.com/television/...da_tapping.htm

EXCERPT: BE: So was it a conscious attempt on your part to step away from the “Stargate” universe?

AT: Yeah, at the point where we had to make the decision to…well, first of all, to create a character that looked completely different from Sam Carter was a very conscious decision. When we were shooting the webisodes, I wanted to completely break out. I didn’t want there to be any vestiges of Sam in the next character that I played, in part to honor Sam Carter, but also to challenge myself creatively. So Damian and I had a long talk about how Helen should look and how she should walk and what she should wear, so that was a conscious effort. And then when we were starting to get interested in the television series, I was still working on “Atlantis,” and I had been asked to do the fifth season. And I knew that if I said “yes” to Season 5 of “Atlantis,” I was essentially shutting “Sanctuary” down. Even though we didn’t have a television order yet, I had to sort of take this leap of faith. I just felt so strongly that “Sanctuary” was going to be something ,even though we didn’t have it for sure for sure, I turned to “Stargate” and I said, “I can’t do it. I have to stick with ‘Sanctuary.’” And they were great. They were very supportive. And shortly after making that decision, “Sanctuary” got picked up as a television series. So, phew! (Laughs) It wa s abig relief, but it also felt like the right thing to do, ceratively. And the beauty of “Stargate” is that Sam Carter is still around, and I’m still getting opportunities to play her, so I haven’t totally left her.

FULL DETAILS AT LINK ABOVE

++++++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Any idea if Amanda, Damian or Martin will be at the Emmys tonight? They are showing non-stop red carpet stuff already & wondered if I needed to be keeping an eyeball out

Fingers crossed for the S3M crew!!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sanctuary4all View Post
              Any idea if Amanda, Damian or Martin will be at the Emmys tonight? They are showing non-stop red carpet stuff already & wondered if I needed to be keeping an eyeball out

Fingers crossed for the S3M crew!!
              My understanding is that they did the technical awards already and Sanctuary did not win.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

well poo. Oh well, at least they got a nomination. next year they can win
                sigpic

Comment

Oh well, here's hoping for a win by Amanda with the Geminis.

Comment

I have seen several references to EU being injured, but no definite facts. has anyone actually seen any news on this or is it all speculation, grapevine, ect?
                    sigpic

Comment

Tune in to Sc-Fi Talk on Monday for an interview with Damian Kindler.
                      http://scifitalk.wordpress.com/podcasts/

From Twitter - Tony Tellado's Sci-Fi Talk :

Interviewed Damian Kindler, Martin Wood and Robin Dunne of Sanctuary today. Damian's interview available Monday..
                      9:51 AM Sep 26th from web
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by sanctuary4all View Post
                        I have seen several references to EU being injured, but no definite facts. has anyone actually seen any news on this or is it all speculation, grapevine, ect?
                        All speculation as far as I know, based mostly on a facebook account that I don't think has been confirmed to be EU's. But no official news releases, I believe.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                          All speculation as far as I know, based mostly on a facebook account that I don't think has been confirmed to be EU's. But no official news releases, I believe.
                          It has to be her. Look at the pics she has from the webis. All backstage stuff.
                          Plus its not just that. No promo pics with her, no mention at all of her, etc

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
                            When I did a search on facebook all that came up was what looked like a fan page for EU, as opposed to a personal page. But I could have easily missed it or done the search wrong.

The lack of promo pics, aside from shots in the trailers, could be due to scheduling/availability or other circumstances as opposed to EU being injured.

I guess I'm just really skeptical of a person being on facebook/myspace/twitter/etc unless they state that they are in an interview or such.

sigpic

Comment

When I did a search on facebook all that came up was what looked like a fan page for EU, as opposed to a personal page. But I could have easily missed it or done the search wrong.

The lack of promo pics, aside from shots in the trailers, could be due to scheduling/availability or other circumstances as opposed to EU being injured.

I guess I'm just really skeptical of a person being on facebook/myspace/twitter/etc unless they state that they are in an interview or such.
                              She doesnt use the same last name. I think in FB she has Emilie Merkel. And she has RD, DK and RR and they have her. She has posted both in DK and RR mural. Plus a few personal pics.

She also posted a bunch of time her site. Specially after it was restyled.

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post

I wouldn't get too worried, one thing that could make y'all fell better is that on Sanctuary's Syfy page, even tough it's changed for the new season, it still has Ashely on it. I like to thank that she's still a part of the show if she's still on the page.

http://www.syfy.com/sanctuary/index.php

Comment

Working...
                                X