• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yessika
    Awesome flashback, we need more of those in the series
    I was just rewatching Hunted so this fluff is most appreciated
    Totaly agree with you yessika i hope we get some in season 3
    Thankyou Ares and yessika
    sigpic
    (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

Originally posted by helenmagnus23 View Post
      Totaly agree with you yessika i hope we get some in season 3
      Thankyou Ares and yessika

I so want more Helen and john in S3.... *fangirl sigh*

And here is a spoiler to my new John and Helen fanfic...

Spoiler:
      SUBWAY:

It was mostly dark except for the flickering of one back of over head lights. Helen walked slowly down the wide steps and made a quick sweep of the room with her flash light, resisting the urge to draw her gun. The only life to be found was a man sitting against a support strut, slumped over. Probably a homeless person passed out. Helen moved further out onto the platform, further out into sight and found no one, not even Nikola. ‘Surprise surprise,’ Helen thought. This had only been one of Nikola’s stupid games and Helen had been lured into it. A groan, pain filled, echoed on the silence. Helen turned and drew her gun, instinct rising. She shown her light on the man and moved closer. It was John. Helen rushed to him, all thoughts of caution fleeing her mind. Crouching down in front of him, she barely had time to examine his wounds before his hands shot out, cupped the back of her head and pulled her close so he could anchor his mouth to hers. His lips were something that Helen would never forget, not even. She placed her hands on his chest and pushed away from him, severing the connection their lips had made. Helen felt something warm and sticky on her right hand, it was his blood. Looking down at his chest, John’s shirt front was covered in blood.

“Oh, John,” Helen’s fingers flew to his pulse point, it was weak and thready. If she didn’t get him out of here, he might not make it. There was too much blood for her liking and more covered his chest, soaking into his shirt and oozing down to coat his trousers as well. This was the worst she had ever seen John and she hated it, hated seeing him bloody and broken lying on a dirty floor, and she hated suspecting that it was Nikola who had inflicted John’s injuries.

“I see you found my gift.” Nikola stepped out of the shadows, much like he had in Bhalasamm and was nearly face to face with Helen’s gun barrel. For a moment Nikola thought that Helen might shoot him. He could see the slight tensing of her trigger finger and he felt fear slither up his spine. Just then if he made the wrong move Nikola feared that Helen would indeed shoot him.

Here is the link to the finished first Chapter.
      http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5672452/...ling_the_Demon
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AresLover452
        I so want more Helen and john in S3.... *fangirl sigh*

And here is a spoiler to my new John and Helen fanfic...
        Spoiler:

SUBWAY:

It was mostly dark except for the flickering of one back of over head lights. Helen walked slowly down the wide steps and made a quick sweep of the room with her flash light, resisting the urge to draw her gun. The only life to be found was a man sitting against a support strut, slumped over. Probably a homeless person passed out. Helen moved further out onto the platform, further out into sight and found no one, not even Nikola. ‘Surprise surprise,’ Helen thought. This had only been one of Nikola’s stupid games and Helen had been lured into it. A groan, pain filled, echoed on the silence. Helen turned and drew her gun, instinct rising. She shown her light on the man and moved closer. It was John. Helen rushed to him, all thoughts of caution fleeing her mind. Crouching down in front of him, she barely had time to examine his wounds before his hands shot out, cupped the back of her head and pulled her close so he could anchor his mouth to hers. His lips were something that Helen would never forget, not even. She placed her hands on his chest and pushed away from him, severing the connection their lips had made. Helen felt something warm and sticky on her right hand, it was his blood. Looking down at his chest, John’s shirt front was covered in blood.

“Oh, John,” Helen’s fingers flew to his pulse point, it was weak and thready. If she didn’t get him out of here, he might not make it. There was too much blood for her liking and more covered his chest, soaking into his shirt and oozing down to coat his trousers as well. This was the worst she had ever seen John and she hated it, hated seeing him bloody and broken lying on a dirty floor, and she hated suspecting that it was Nikola who had inflicted John’s injuries.

“I see you found my gift.” Nikola stepped out of the shadows, much like he had in Bhalasamm and was nearly face to face with Helen’s gun barrel. For a moment Nikola thought that Helen might shoot him. He could see the slight tensing of her trigger finger and he felt fear slither up his spine. Just then if he made the wrong move Nikola feared that Helen would indeed shoot him.

Here is the link to the finished first Chapter.
        http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5672452/...ling_the_Demon
        I love your story Ares
        sigpic
        (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

Good morning all.

Write an H/D ficlette, a fill-in scene for Haunted, Regrets.

Also made new avatar (see above).

That is all. For now...

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
            Good morning all.

Write an H/D ficlette, a fill-in scene for Haunted, Regrets.

Also made new avatar (see above).

That is all. For now...
            What a great fic Jenn. I really agree with the sentiment in there that she was heading towards the edge of an emotional cliff. To have been betrayed by the man she loved years ago... there had to be such desperation in her to want to believe that she hadn't been lied to - that her heart hadn't been so abused.

I wonder if that's part of what inspired her to carry Ashley to term. Not only was she deeply and forever connected to John but perhaps she also had wanted to see some piece of him looking at her the way she thought he once had with love. Some untainted piece of him. Although it was so painfully angsty I felt such relief for Helen when John told her that he loved her and gave her something to hold on to now that Ashley was gone.

Am I making sense with that? Oh! I think I just got my idea for my first Sanctuary fic!

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight506 View Post
              I wonder if that's part of what inspired her to carry Ashley to term. Not only was she deeply and forever connected to John but perhaps she also had wanted to see some piece of him looking at her the way she thought he once had with love. Some untainted piece of him. Although it was so painfully angsty I felt such relief for Helen when John told her that he loved her and gave her something to hold on to now that Ashley was gone.
              Oh, that makes total sense. I don't know if you've read my 'why Helen bore Ashley fic' yet, Frozen. Not that I touch on that idea specifically... But go for it!

There's not nearly enough good Sanctuary fic of any kind out there *sigh* (though you know I'm incredibly picky lol )

Spoilers for Haunted:
              Spoiler:
              I really agree with the sentiment in there that she was heading towards the edge of an emotional cliff. To have been betrayed by the man she loved years ago... there had to be such desperation in her to want to believe that she hadn't been lied to - that her heart hadn't been so abused.
              Oh, yeah. The moment for me which is just astonishingly beautiful and evocative is when John first suggests it was all the creature inside him, and Helen gives this little half-sigh/half-sob. You can just feel her hunger to believe that... And of course, though, it's only at the end when he tells her he loves her right before sacrificing his humanity itself for her that she really understands and believes. Right before it's almost too late. But at least, as her final words to him say - that rather than being part of the creatures violence he'd actually been keeping it at bay (which is why it almost became a mass murderer rather than 'simply' a serial killer once outside his influence) - she finally understood.

Though I also agree with your comment that at least now she *knows* he really did ... does.. will love her so, even though he's not there and Ashley is gone, at least she has that piece of him - his love - and her memories of their times together which have now been redeemed themselves. I can't help but think, for that reason alone, even that brief time without the creature, painful though it's ending was, was in the end a blessing.

((Helen))

Spoilers for Kali:
              Spoiler:
              And seeing it through my ship-colored glasses, I can't help but believe the fact it was shortly after Haunted - after finding out John really *had* loved her all this time - that she first pushed Will and Kate together (which is what I think she was doing when she sent them to India together) is a symptom of the fact she now has a slightly more positive outlook on the whole idea of love. With Helen, who holds her emotions so close to her chest, you really have to watch her actions to know what she's thinking and feeling rather than what she says or how she looks.
              Last edited by JenniferJF; 17 January 2010, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Oh, that makes total sense. I don't know if you've read my 'why Helen bore Ashley fic' yet, Frozen. Not that I touch on that idea specifically... But go for it!

There's not nearly enough good Sanctuary fic of any kind out there *sigh* (though you know I'm incredibly picky lol )

Spoilers for Haunted:
                Spoiler:
                Oh, yeah. The moment for me which is just astonishingly beautiful and evocative is when John first suggests it was all the creature inside him, and Helen gives this little half-sigh/half-sob. You can just feel her hunger to believe that... And of course, though, it's only at the end when he tells her he loves her right before sacrificing his humanity itself for her that she really understands and believes. Right before it's almost too late. But at least, as her final words to him say - that rather than being part of the creatures violence he'd actually been keeping it at bay (which is why it almost became a mass murderer rather than 'simply' a serial killer once outside his influence) - she finally understood.

Though I also agree with your comment that at least now she *knows* he really did ... does.. will love her so, even though he's not there and Ashley is gone, at least she has that piece of him - his love - and her memories of their times together which have now been redeemed themselves. I can't help but think, for that reason alone, even that brief time without the creature, painful though it's ending was, was in the end a blessing.

((Helen))
                Yes! I did read "Frozen" - I must have forgotten to review it LOL

Haunted
                Spoiler:

I think you're right about it redeeming her memories. And her. It's not often talked about but him being her first *lover* is very significant. They loved in a time period where it was improper to have that sort of relationship outside of marriage and so I have to believe that there are very deep emotional consequences for her. She gave herself to him believing he would be her one and only for her lifetime. Oh! another fic idea... I know what I'm doing today...

Anyway, him being Jack the Ripper had to have invalidated her as a woman somehow and in that brief parasite free time - that tiny bit she carried inside her - that young woman from 130 years prior - was given back to her.

Comment

Yes! I did read "Frozen" - I must have forgotten to review it LOL

Haunted
                  Spoiler:

I think you're right about it redeeming her memories. And her. It's not often talked about but him being her first *lover* is very significant. They loved in a time period where it was improper to have that sort of relationship outside of marriage and so I have to believe that there are very deep emotional consequences for her. She gave herself to him believing he would be her one and only for her lifetime. Oh! another fic idea... I know what I'm doing today...

Anyway, him being Jack the Ripper had to have invalidated her as a woman somehow and in that brief parasite free time - that tiny bit she carried inside her - that young woman from 130 years prior - was given back to her.
                  Oh.. absolutely to everything you've said (though I know you've read my Pandora so you know I agree . Especially given I think it's clear she still loves and always has loved him. So like you said.. I suspect it gave her back some of the hope and belief she'd lost, like you said, 130 years earlier.

Comment

Just realized I forgot to mention:
                    Spoiler:
                    The other thing I thought was brilliant, and an example of how in many ways this episode was so redemptive, was it also fully justified *Ashley*. Now, I don't think Helen herself had issues here (as she tells John at the end of Eulogy, she knew in the end Ashley overcame the influence over her and choose self-sacrifice as *Ashley*), but I think John did. I think, as he says in EoN, he believed the evil that was brought out in Ashley by the Cabal was a violence and rage she'd inherited from him. Only.. she couldn't have. Because that rage wasn't a part of him. Proving not only Helen's belief and faith in Ashley, but also absolving John from culpability in what happened to Ashley - it wasn't an innate part of him the Cabal pulled out and which ultimately led to her death and therefore, her death wasn't his fault. So I think John was also redeemed in his own eyes not only for all the deaths, but for Ashley's fate as well.

And, even more beautifully, IMHO - in those final moments the fate of the father (might have) mirrored the fate of his daughter. Because just like Ashley, John was strong enough to overcome the influence over him just long enough to port away from Helen - possibly to his death. Thus it wasn't in violence and rage that Ashley took after John, but in strength, love and self-sacrifice.

*happy sigh*
                    It's not often talked about but him being her first *lover* is very significant. They loved in a time period where it was improper to have that sort of relationship outside of marriage and so I have to believe that there are very deep emotional consequences for her. She gave herself to him believing he would be her one and only for her lifetime. Oh! another fic idea... I know what I'm doing today...
                    Not that what you're saying isn't absolutely true, but I did want to point out that, really, poor Helen and John would have hardly a chance at abstinence. The number one way to resist temptation is to avoid it, and with his ability to teleport anywhere instantaneously and secretly...

Yeah. Not a chance.

Comment

Just realized I forgot to mention:
                      Spoiler:
                      The other thing I thought was brilliant, and an example of how in many ways this episode was so redemptive, was it also fully justified *Ashley*. Now, I don't think Helen herself had issues here (as she tells John at the end of Eulogy, she knew in the end Ashley overcame the influence over her and choose self-sacrifice as *Ashley*), but I think John did. I think, as he says in EoN, he believed the evil that was brought out in Ashley by the Cabal was a violence and rage she'd inherited from him. Only.. she couldn't have. Because that rage wasn't a part of him. Proving not only Helen's belief and faith in Ashley, but also absolving John from culpability in what happened to Ashley - it wasn't an innate part of him the Cabal pulled out and which ultimately led to her death and therefore, her death wasn't his fault. So I think John was also redeemed in his own eyes not only for all the deaths, but for Ashley's fate as well.

And, even more beautifully, IMHO - in those final moments the fate of the father (might have) mirrored the fate of his daughter. Because just like Ashley, John was strong enough to overcome the influence over him just long enough to port away from Helen - possibly to his death. Thus it wasn't in violence and rage that Ashley took after John, but in strength, love and self-sacrifice.

*happy sigh*
                      Not that what you're saying isn't absolutely true, but I did want to point out that, really, poor Helen and John would have hardly a chance at abstinence. The number one way to resist temptation is to avoid it, and with his ability to teleport anywhere instantaneously and secretly...

Yeah. Not a chance.
                      The Lover Thing: Oh, no I don't think there was any chance at abstinence either LOL. But she still grew up in that time period (and I imagine was much more 'liberal' because of her forward thinking father and classmates - but still, it takes a lot to break social morays) - and again, he was her first and she had hoped, her only.

Haunted
                      Spoiler:
                      Ashley really is more like her father than her mother. She's more hot-tempered - in fact one of my favorite moments is when John and Ashley do that whole fight sequence (and he teleports them to several places). They are both incredibly strong - Ashley for overcoming the Cabal brainwashing, John for choosing to live with the darkness (and as you pointed out, teleporting away). "Haunted" really is that redemptive episode - one that overall the story needed - if Helen was to the point that she would search for an Elixir to shorten her life, how much longer before she chose much more drastic means? I don't think she was suicidal by any means, but one can only be pushed so far. How close was she to being so utterly crushed that her work, her life would fade into obscurity? As angst-ridden as this episode is, it is perhaps one of the most *hopeful* episodes I have seen. So yeah I agree with you. LOL

Comment

Haunted:
                        Spoiler:
                        Ashley really is more like her father than her mother. She's more hot-tempered - in fact one of my favorite moments is when John and Ashley do that whole fight sequence (and he teleports them to several places). They are both incredibly strong - Ashley for overcoming the Cabal brainwashing, John for choosing to live with the darkness (and as you pointed out, teleporting away).
                        It was suggested to me today Ashley may actually get that hot-temper - her thrill of the hunt, as it were - from Helen herself. After all, isn't that what Helen does? And while Helen doesn't exhibit Ashley's brashness, she's also a product of a very different era when any propensity towards that was likely to have been trained out of her at an early age. Helen seems to constantly have emotions broiling under the surface which she is keeping firm control over. It may simply be in that restraint and control - not the intensity and heat of the emotions themselves - that Helen differs from Ashley. Because Ashley, being raised in the modern world and trained from an early age (cause, lets face it, she was 'young' when she died) to hunt and fight, wouldn't have been taught to control those impulses in the same way Helen had.

Which is fairly ironic, because the passion John saw in Ashley - which he blamed himself for - may in fact have been what had attracted him to Helen in the first place.

Comment

Haunted:
                          Spoiler:
                          It was suggested to me today Ashley may actually get that hot-temper - her thrill of the hunt, as it were - from Helen herself. After all, isn't that what Helen does? And while Helen doesn't exhibit Ashley's brashness, she's also a product of a very different era when any propensity towards that was likely to have been trained out of her at an early age. Helen seems to constantly have emotions broiling under the surface which she is keeping firm control over. It may simply be in that restraint and control - not the intensity and heat of the emotions themselves - that Helen differs from Ashley. Because Ashley, being raised in the modern world and trained from an early age (cause, lets face it, she was 'young' when she died) to hunt and fight, wouldn't have been taught to control those impulses in the same way Helen had.

Which is fairly ironic, because the passion John saw in Ashley - which he blamed himself for - may in fact have been what had attracted him to Helen in the first place.
                          Haunted
                          Spoiler:
                          I suppose that's possible, but Helen doesn't strike me as a "thrill of the hunt". While you're right that the Victorian age wouldn't have encouraged such brazen emotions from a woman, Helen seems to be more the researcher. Notice that she tends to send out her "minions" to actually capture the abnormals.

There a true pleasure for Ashley when she gets to shoot the hell out of something which is very much something John feels. With Helen it's more a sense of resignation. She doesn't want to harm, doesn't want to cause pain, even when it wants to hurt her. Am I making sense (I'm half watching a football game here LOL).

Unfortunately there are so many itty bitty pieces. Ashley is both a young, typical "American" woman and the daughter of a very impulsive, brash man. Helen is an older British woman who's been emotionally wounded by said man. It's impossible to divorce these characteristics but I don't get the same urge from Helen as I do from John and Ashley.

On another note - do we know much about the relationship between Helen and John post Jack the Ripper days? She hid the knowledge of Ashley from him, did they interact often? Run into each other over the next century and a half?

Comment

I finally watched Haunted and it was perfect (except the fact that Helen and John don't kiss )
                            Nos Must Amitto Vivo En - Helen Magnus

Comment

Haunted:
                              Spoiler:
                              Unfortunately there are so many itty bitty pieces. Ashley is both a young, typical "American" woman and the daughter of a very impulsive, brash man. Helen is an older British woman who's been emotionally wounded by said man. It's impossible to divorce these characteristics but I don't get the same urge from Helen as I do from John and Ashley.
                              See, I don't think John - apart from the creature controlling him - was impulsive and brash. I think that which we see is a result of the creature. In Haunted when it's gone he seems very controlled and deliberate. Yes, he makes a rather quick decision at the end there, but Helen knew as soon as he did what it was he was going to do... That I think was more typical Victorian male rising to the occasion and defending hearth and home, as it were, than impulsiveness and brashness. But you could be right...

And I do think there's a thrill of the hunt about Helen - it just goes into science and research and not physical pursuits. It's more the passion behind it I'm referring to, and I do think we get glimpses of that from time to time.
                              On another note - do we know much about the relationship between Helen and John post Jack the Ripper days? She hid the knowledge of Ashley from him, did they interact often? Run into each other over the next century and a half?
                              Not much, no. I've heard TPTB refer to the fact they must have encountered each other over the years, but IIRC Helen says in the pilot that she only let Ashley come to term once she thought John was dead, so they can't have run into each other in the last thirty years or so at least, I'd guess.

Comment

Haunted:
                                Spoiler:
                                See, I don't think John - apart from the creature controlling him - was impulsive and brash. I think that which we see is a result of the creature. In Haunted when it's gone he seems very controlled and deliberate. Yes, he makes a rather quick decision at the end there, but Helen knew as soon as he did what it was he was going to do... That I think was more typical Victorian male rising to the occasion and defending hearth and home, as it were, than impulsiveness and brashness. But you could be right...

And I do think there's a thrill of the hunt about Helen - it just goes into science and research and not physical pursuits. It's more the passion behind it I'm referring to, and I do think we get glimpses of that from time to time.
                                Not much, no. I've heard TPTB refer to the fact they must have encountered each other over the years, but IIRC Helen says in the pilot that she only let Ashley come to term once she thought John was dead, so they can't have run into each other in the last thirty years or so at least, I'd guess.
                                Haunted
                                Spoiler:
                                I can agree with that sentiment. I think that Helen is incredibly passionate about her work, you don't make the kinds of sacrifices she has without feeling some immense amount of emotion associated with it. And I would also agree that the decision to retake the darkness into himself was that Victorian honor and not brashness...

ARGH we need *more* LOL. I guess I've thought of the darkness as taking the personality traits that are there and turning them into something evil. Sort of like how Helen deals with being wronged by throwing herself into her work (oh hey, here's the life analogy again) and John's is to take out the bad guys (death) - I think free of the darkness John would have still sought out the Cabal and caused harm but he may not have found the pleasure in it that the creature gave him (and which used to urge him onto a killing spree to continue to have that pleasure).

Perhaps it's not so simple as one or the other - in the end they're both passionate in different ways - it would only be natural that their daughter would be just as passionate...

Hmm, I was just wondering because as I was contemplating writing a fic on the second lover Helen has I wondered if she would encounter John. Did she run? Did he run? What happened?

On another random note - do you think John goes with the bald look for teleportation aerodynamics?

Comment

Working...
                                X