Helen Magnus/John Druitt Ship/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Artie View Post
    I just read the season ender spoilers. So, you know....

It's so nice to be in a fandom where I'm looking forward to new canon instead of dreading it!

Spoiler:
    Although I'm going crazy trying to figure out who "we thought was dead who is alive" if it's NOT Ashley!
    It is, right?

Spoiler:
    There's a list on the Season 3 Spoilers Discussion Thread of all possible 'thought to be dead' people, if you're interested. As well as some attempt at explaining how it could be him or her... with a lot of uncertainty, but still.

I, for one, hope it is not Ashley, but I sometimes feel like I'm the only one. ^^
    sigpic
    Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
    My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
    Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Okay!! Wow, such great discussion going on here. I haven't been around in like weeks!

Originally posted by Emengee View Post
      What can I say? I'm twisted.

Oh, and new Arty! NOT SNURCHABLE!!!!

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ke-d3a9ono.jpg

I was in a rent sort of mood
      <3 Love it when you can find the perfect text - it is like my drug. LOL

ANYWAY! I come bearing a gift of sorts. I am working on my story for February (my New Year's resolution was to write a story a month) and AH! I just finished the first draft and only have a few days to finish it. So, I thought some thoughts from you all would be great.

It takes place during and around the flashback when Helen shot John in 1888-ish. There are dividers to show when there is a flashback, but I am not sure how understandable it is. When it is all done I am going to add in some song lyrics in the dividers to kind of go with the flow of the story. But any comments would be LOVED!!

Working title: "To Destroy a Lover"
      Spoiler:
      He was distracted, which was the first thing she noticed, because he usually couldn’t keep his eyes off of her when they were together. Recently though, it had become more noticeable that him just being distracted. She had seen what seemed to be him fighting with himself and she grew more concerned as each day passed, until the illness had taken complete control over his body and he was forced to remain in bed. Hours were spent in the lab testing blood samples. She and Watson worked furiously as they tried to discover what had happened to their friend. Between time in the lab, she sat by his bed. It was not a peaceful illness, and watching him writhe in pain caused her more pain than she could bear sometimes. Her blood was a possible cure, but they weren’t altogether sure what the extent of her gift was. Over the last two years, she had found that she had remarkable healing time and with more research had discovered the gift that she had received from the Source Blood.

~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

Looking back at those times made her want to cry and punch someone, neither of which was appropriate at the moment. In one night she had lost everything. She was now out hunting her former fiancé. Even as the thought entered her mind, she shivered. How could she have not seen it sooner? Was her judgment so impaired by how much she was attracted to him? Countless hours over the last ___ years they had spent together. Her only consolation was that none of the Five had noticed it either. She had to push aside these thoughts and just do what she was out here to do. But thinking of him as just another abnormal in need of being captured and contained for the safety of others was not easy. The Five had questioned her ability to distance herself and complete the job 0 to end his life if it came to that point. She had assured them that she could do it, and she had almost convinced herself until she came around the corner.

~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

They finally got to the point where the only option was injecting him with her blood. Enough tests had been done to ensure that at least he wouldn’t die, and anything would be better than the misery that was his existence at the moment. I have more stuff to put here

~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

She came around the corner, sure that this was where he would be tonight. The sound of his voice made her heart flutter, but not for the same reason it had only weeks before. The man who had once been able to take her breath away now struck fear and anger in her. She had been in denial for some time, until the evidence against him proved to be too much and she had confronted him herself. Now, as she saw him pull the knife from its hiding place, she had to focus on the job at hand. It was her fault that this was happening and so it was her responsibility to end it. As if it was bad enough that her serum had brought out these traits in him, but now he had her blood in his veins, and he would continue to wreak havoc long after the police who hunted him were dead.

Though she had brought a gun and would use it if she had to, she didn’t want it to come to that. She thought she could reason with him. A part of her still hoped there was a way to save him. He may be a cold-blooded killer, but he still held a place in her heart – as much as she tried to make it go away. The glint of the knife reminded her of the murders he was accused of committing, and she wondered if there was any John left or if she had any power over him at all. He must know that she would be after him. What else could he expect her to do, especially after their conversation and broken engagement? So, when he called her name, his cool response didn’t surprise her, but the darkness in his eyes was something she had never seen before, even before, when she confronted him. She had lost so much and seeing him handle the girl was just what she needed to forget their past and focus on what she had to do.

~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

There was too much doubt in her mind, and she wasn’t one to ignore the evidence. And the evidence was telling her that her fiancé was Jack the Ripper. It she were honest with herself, she had seen the change in him and probably should have addressed the issue much sooner. But no one wants to believe that someone they love would be capable of something so gruesome. She was surprised he had agreed to meet her tonight. He had been coming up with so many excuses lately, and she didn’t want to think of what he had been doing. The fact that he knew what she wanted to talk about had crossed her mind. And though he hadn’t done anything to hurt her, she couldn’t help think that this was not such a good idea. The details of gruesome killings almost had her changing her mind, but she had to do this.

She had confronted him with the evidence and he hadn’t denied it. She didn’t know what she expected him to say. Of course she had hoped that he would deny it and provide evidence to his innocence. But when she had directly asked him about the murders, she could see the pain in his eyes an she could feel her heart being ripped from her chest. She caught a glimpse of anger, and before she could say anything, he whispered something and teleported.

~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

She had done it. She might have missed him, but she had found the determination to pull the trigger. He had forced her to go to a point that she hadn’t wanted to reach. Though she didn’t know where he would turn up again, the hunt would continue. His words rang in her head, “What else have I to lose?” Did he not think that she too had lost everything? And now, seeing him kill that girl right in front of her – her life had fallen apart when he had admitted to being the killer. Had the power overtaken him so much that he couldn’t see the pain in her eyes?

~ ~ * ~ ~ * ~ ~

The nightmares were something she wouldn’t admit to anyone. As much as she tried, reminding herself that what she had done was necessary, she couldn’t erase all the memories. Her nightmare were full of “what ifs” shattered by images of blood. None of The Five had suspected John. And it was something that would haunt all of them. She avoided the nightmares by drowning herself in her father’s work. It was the only think that made a dent in the void of her life. But she could never get away from it, because he was still out there; still free to murder innocent women. How could she still love this man even after seeing what he was capable of? But she did. It wasn’t like she could just make those feelings go away. She had tried. She was punishing herself and would continue to do so until the day she died.
      sigpic
      || acrazyobsession on AO3 & Tumblr || My DeviantArt ||

Comment

Love the fic CC it's really good <3

Comment

Love it CC Very awesome!!
          sigpic

Comment

Ohhhh! I remember that fic CC! I loved what you did with it so far and can't wait to read the final draft!

AAAAANDDD...*happily claps hands* You made me think of something! (Really, is there any time one of your posts doesn't start a discussion for me? I'm starting to wonder... XD)

So dragging out a little part of your story to better explain myself:
            Originally posted by CC
            The Five had questioned her ability to distance herself and complete the job 0 to end his life if it came to that point. She had assured them that she could do it, and she had almost convinced herself until she came around the corner.
            So, people, let's talk.

We have this situation happening in the 1880's. I must say I completly agree with CC's assesment - The Five questionning Helen about whether or not she's ready to go out and (try to) kill John. Because that was the original plan.

Now, bringing you guys over in 2008 (2009? whatever). Remember that episode called End of Nights? With evil!Ashley? Didn't Will asked Helen the exact same question? Was she more ready to kill her own daughter than she was killing her fiancé? Did she even think about the similar situation that had happened years ago when she was on the top of the North tower? I haven't formed specific thoughts yet, but letting this out for all of you to think about.

Second thing. (CC, I think you just shouldn't post here. It's making me think way too much...) Another John/Ashley comparison for you...

EON again: Helen is clearly unable to kill Ashley, and the episode ends with Ashley sacrificing herself to save her mom. We all remember that, I hope?

Haunted: Helen is clearly unable to kill John, and the episode ends with John sacrificing himself to save her. Haven't seen that plotline already?

That's all campers! Some thoughts for you to grasp and think about.

*squishy huggles CC just because she's awesome*
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thieves View Post
              Love the fic CC it's really good <3
              Thanks! So glad you liked it.

Originally posted by AresLover452 View Post
              Love it CC Very awesome!!
              Thank you! *giggles*

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
              Ohhhh! I remember that fic CC! I loved what you did with it so far and can't wait to read the final draft!
              Yes . . . it has changed quite a bit since the first idea, but I like where it has ended up, too.

We have this situation happening in the 1880's. I must say I completly agree with CC's assessment - The Five questioning Helen about whether or not she's ready to go out and (try to) kill John. Because that was the original plan.
              That was one of the things I wanted to get everyone's opinion on. I am glad you agree with my thinking.

Haunted: Helen is clearly unable to kill John, and the episode ends with John sacrificing himself to save her. Haven't seen that plotline already?
              HAUNTED!!! Great example of this very complicated relationship. I am going to go think about these examples and maybe work some of the emotion into the story since I have a couple paragraphs left to write.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicCouples View Post
                HAUNTED!!! Great example of this very complicated relationship. I am going to go think about these examples and maybe work some of the emotion into the story since I have a couple paragraphs left to write.
                Well, the episode was fresh in my mind. I was supposed to watch Kali today with my mom, and, before we start, she asks me if I mind rewatching the H/J scenes in Haunted. I'm like, "Mom, I watched that episode at least 10 times. Do you REALLY think I'd mind watching it again?!" And we watched it. <3

Oh and now she's stressed over the Kali II finale. Because she went to bed without watching the third part. We're going to watch it tomorrow before I go to work.
                sigpic

Comment

But she did Kill him in HAUNTED.... she just didn't leave him dead.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AresLover452 View Post
                    But she did Kill him in HAUNTED.... she just didn't leave him dead.
                    Which proves my point. She wasn't able to kill him completly.

"Tell me again why you're trying to bring an homicidal maniac back to life."
                    "It's more about compulsion than murder. [...] He wanted me to kill him."
                    "You guys got a seriously messed up relationship."
                    "It's complicated."
                    sigpic

Comment

"It's complicated."
                      When she first went after him (1888) I don't know if she had studied his pattern - maybe later on as she continued to hunt him she realized it was more of a compulsion. After some thought, I think that is why I went with using the "cold-blooded killer" line. At that time all they could see was the gruesome killings, which is why I think she acted so calm on the bridge in "For King and Country". She had been hunting him and realized that there was something different about his killings than other murders.

The sound of his voice made her heart flutter, but not for the same reason it had only weeks before. The man who had once been able to take her breath away now struck fear and anger in her.
                      What about that line -the "fear and anger" part? I always get stuck on those words and know there must be some better way to say it or better words.
                      sigpic

Comment

"It's complicated."
                        But she can still go through with it.... lol!! She'll kill him, just bring afterwords. hehe!! For which I am eternally grateful!

that's one of the things about them no matter how much damage they do to each other, they still want to be near each other.
                        sigpic

Comment

What about that line -the "fear and anger" part? I always get stuck on those words and know there must be some better way to say it or better words.
                          Anxiety perhaps?
                          sigpic

Comment

When she first went after him (1888) I don't know if she had studied his pattern - maybe later on as she continued to hunt him she realized it was more of a compulsion. After some thought, I think that is why I went with using the "cold-blooded killer" line. At that time all they could see was the gruesome killings, which is why I think she acted so calm on the bridge in "For King and Country". She had been hunting him and realized that there was something different about his killings than other murders.
                            I agree with the bolded, and I think you were right to use cold-blooded killer for anything Victorian Era-related.

But, I think the compulsion is a much more recent thing which they discussed in the events surrounding Ashley's death. At that time, John was claiming that his killing weren't of his own accord. I don't know how much she believed him, but they did spent nearly two months together at the time, and perhaps did see each other again in-between Eulogy and Haunted, so I think what John was saying finally made its way into Helen's brain. Enough so that a part of her would agree with him.

How about something like 'paralyzed her in fear' or something like that?
                            Or just twisting it around and saying 'now struck her heart with fear and anger.'

I don't know... I'm not the first language English speaker here, and YOU are supposed to be MY beta. Not the other way around LOL!
                            sigpic

Comment

But, I think the compulsion is a much more recent thing which they discussed in the events surrounding Ashley's death. At that time, John was claiming that his killing weren't of his own accord. I don't know how much she believed him, but they did spent nearly two months together at the time, and perhaps did see each other again in-between Eulogy and Haunted, so I think what John was saying finally made its way into Helen's brain. Enough so that a part of her would agree with him.
                              I agree that it is a recent thing, but I would have to say that she probably thought about it before Season 2 - she's been hunting him for a century, I think she would have noticed the compulsion rather than murder.

I'm not the first language English speaker here, and YOU are supposed to be MY beta. Not the other way around LOL!
                              LOL!! I know, right
                              sigpic

Comment

I agree that it is a recent thing, but I would have to say that she probably thought about it before Season 2 - she's been hunting him for a century, I think she would have noticed the compulsion rather than murder.
                                Maybe. But then, there will be two types of compulsion in my mind. Because something changed in season 2 and that is how I will try and separate them.

The one before season 2 that Helen would find out about is more the type of compulsion 'any' (I'm stretching) serial killer could have. I mean, why does someone kill? Not that I know anything about that. But, to me, it feels as though anyone killing has a certain compulsion to do it. And with John, she might have figured a certain pattern to his killings that indicated it was different with him, or something like that.

What season 2 brings, as I've said earlier, is him being closer to her again, for the first time in more than a hundred years. So, she has another view of him. John surely tried to explain to her that he didn't murder because he wanted to, but because he felt contrained to do so. So, maybe Helen's conclusion on his compulsion towards killing changed a bit after that.

Am I making any sense? It's getting late here and I'm getting up early. Why am I doing on GW again? *sigh*

(Note to self: Do not read CC's posts when you have to sleep. )

LOL!! I know, right
                                Right.
                                Spoiler:
                                But you know I'll answer you anyway in the best of my ability. So, anytime, ok? Just don't expect me to correct any grammatical error.
                                Last edited by LadyGalaxyJ; 27 February 2011, 08:29 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X