Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kes View Post
    Every show get a: "its a cross between this and that"
    So Sanctuary isnt necessarly (for example) Hlighlander with a women on the lead. It just has similar aspects.
    ::chuckle::

I obviously need work on my dry wit - or, at least, a "deadpan droll" smiley!

That's exactly my point. At this point in human history every instance of entertainment anywhere has similarities to something else. It's simply inevitable. And Sanctuary can't escape it, simply because it's made by humans, and humans excel at finding resemblances. So, those resemblance will be found.

So we can say Sanctuary's like Torchwood, or Highlander, or The Immortal, or Friday the Thirteenth the Series, or ForeverKnight or Relic Hunter, or Kindred: The Embraced, or ... what was that with the detectives who tried to keep order amongst the legendary critters/folks but had a little problem because one of them was a werewolf? And that's only the tv series I can think of off the top of my head. One can go on ad infinitum - I even have a valid Buggs Bunny resemblance on tap right now, and, if you give me a minute, I'll come up with some resemblances to the story of Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, too. Lol!

What's important isn't what it resembles - those comparisons are just communication conveniences, mental handles to hang onto in order to offer some kind of description of something that, unfortunately, no one has ever seen. (I don't suppose one could pass off hacking Media 3 as 'flatteringly unmanageable anticipation' at this point, could I? )

What's important is what Sanctuary is - itself, a show with a brilliantly rich universe to inhabit, unique characters who already have depth, power, scope, potential, angst, and the inevitability of conflict built into them and on display before they ever hit the Web, a whole panorama of stories available to tell, a great graphic style, look and feel, way cool music, a revolutionary intersection of delivery system, interactivity, innovative production mechanisms, production and audience integration, and, far from least, a vastly - and intensely - creative, talented and dedicated group of virtuoso professionals to bring it all to life and fruition. I think that the only way it can avoid being absolutely, completely, dazzlingly and stunningly unique, extraordinary and brilliant, is to drop a biblical disaster on the production facilities! The which, all the Gods avert, please!

Sanctuary will be itself, and I think it shows every sign of not only being phenomenal, but of becoming a phenomenon, and an icon. And how very, very cool is that???

Mark my words, years from now, denizens on other forum-like places of discussion of the future will be holding forth about how something new and upcoming is 'just Sanctuary with this and that changed :insert appropriate level of ennui:.'

And I'll bet the newbies on that forum-like place of discussion won't have to go running off to the-successor-of-Google to find out what Sanctuary was, either. They'll already know.

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan View Post
    SWORDS!!!

Yes I know you're joking about the idea of comparing Sanctuary to pick-any-scifi-show because of basic similarities, but I just got a mental image of Amanda Tapping as Magnus, wielding a sword.

Oooooh. That'd be freakin' cool.
    Way more than freakin' cool!!! When I was gently snarking some little ways above in the thread, I was actually having this mental image of Amanda Tapping as Helen Magnus doing some of of the sword fights from HL:TS - or at least the styles -

Rapier, with Main Gauche leading - the lines alone would justify the style visually, ooh, yes...

The Mysterious Circle - ditto (I promise to collapse if they use a flamberge blade).

Ying Cheong Spear against Tai Chi / Jian Sword (only I can't decide which weapon I'd like her to take :whimper: )

Two Jian, Wushu Style - ::drools at the thought::

Glaive Mor! - yes, it's huge sword, but I'm more than confident the woman could not only wield it, but rock her opponent's entire existence with it! :evil grin:

And, of course - Katana! The perfect sword, and a perfect sword for Helen. : passes out from sheer delight at the thought :

It would be beyond incredible to watch - and completely unexpected in this day and age, wouldn't it? (::imagines the scene:: Helen runs out of ammo for the Sigs. The bad guy thinks he has her. Helen whips out her katana, and - no more bad guy. )

In fact, Myrth, Uber, I'll promise them the use of my own Kanemoto katana for the beauty shots if they ever decide to do it. Shipping and insurance to and from the studio, and the blessings of the kami of the blade for using it so, paid for and guaranteed. My word on it.
    Nerd-o-rama: Oh, I almost forgot. Sam also had the power of Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina for a few seasons (can use any alien technology if it suits the script's purpose.) Then they gave it to Jack for some reason.
    So that's why we've seen so little of Sam and Jack in these past two seasons. They're spending all their free time as the Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina League fighting evil in Washington DC.

Comment

Originally posted by MerRu View Post

That's exactly my point. At this point in human history every instance of entertainment anywhere has similarities to something else. It's simply inevitable. And Sanctuary can't escape it, simply because it's made by humans, and humans excel at finding resemblances. So, those resemblance will be found.

So we can say Sanctuary's like Torchwood, or Highlander, or The Immortal, or Friday the Thirteenth the Series, or ForeverKnight or Relic Hunter, or Kindred: The Embraced, or ... what was that with the detectives who tried to keep order amongst the legendary critters/folks but had a little problem because one of them was a werewolf? And that's only the tv series I can think of off the top of my head. One can go on ad infinitum - I even have a valid Buggs Bunny resemblance on tap right now, and, if you give me a minute, I'll come up with some resemblances to the story of Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, too. Lol!

What's important isn't what it resembles - those comparisons are just communication conveniences, mental handles to hang onto in order to offer some kind of description of something that, unfortunately, no one has ever seen. (I don't suppose one could pass off hacking Media 3 as 'flatteringly unmanageable anticipation' at this point, could I? )

What's important is what Sanctuary is - itself, a show with a brilliantly rich universe to inhabit, unique characters who already have depth, power, scope, potential, angst, and the inevitability of conflict built into them and on display before they ever hit the Web, a whole panorama of stories available to tell, a great graphic style, look and feel, way cool music, a revolutionary intersection of delivery system, interactivity, innovative production mechanisms, production and audience integration, and, far from least, a vastly - and intensely - creative, talented and dedicated group of virtuoso professionals to bring it all to life and fruition. I think that the only way it can avoid being absolutely, completely, dazzlingly and stunningly unique, extraordinary and brilliant, is to drop a biblical disaster on the production facilities! The which, all the Gods avert, please!

Sanctuary will be itself, and I think it shows every sign of not only being phenomenal, but of becoming a phenomenon, and an icon. And how very, very cool is that???

Mark my words, years from now, denizens on other forum-like places of discussion of the future will be holding forth about how something new and upcoming is 'just Sanctuary with this and that changed :insert appropriate level of ennui:.'

And I'll bet the newbies on that forum-like place of discussion won't have to go running off to the-successor-of-Google to find out what Sanctuary was, either. They'll already know.

Way more than freakin' cool!!! When I was gently snarking some little ways above in the thread, I was actually having this mental image of Amanda Tapping as Helen Magnus doing some of of the sword fights from HL:TS - or at least the styles -

Rapier, with Main Gauche leading - the lines alone would justify the style visually, ooh, yes...

The Mysterious Circle - ditto (I promise to collapse if they use a flamberge blade).

Ying Cheong Spear against Tai Chi / Jian Sword (only I can't decide which weapon I'd like her to take :whimper: )

Two Jian, Wushu Style - ::drools at the thought::

Glaive Mor! - yes, it's huge sword, but I'm more than confident the woman could not only wield it, but rock her opponent's entire existence with it! :evil grin:

And, of course - Katana! The perfect sword, and a perfect sword for Helen. : passes out from sheer delight at the thought :

It would be beyond incredible to watch - and completely unexpected in this day and age, wouldn't it? (::imagines the scene:: Helen runs out of ammo for the Sigs. The bad guy thinks he has her. Helen whips out her katana, and - no more bad guy. )

In fact, Myrth, Uber, I'll promise them the use of my own Kanemoto katana for the beauty shots if they ever decide to do it. Shipping and insurance to and from the studio, and the blessings of the kami of the blade for using it so, paid for and guaranteed. My word on it.
      wow your enthusiasm is amazing I'd go as far as to say Contagious.

How can this show not do well with fans like you?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by me@sanctuary View Post
        wow your enthusiasm is amazing I'd go as far as to say Contagious.

How can this show not do well with fans like you?
        Lol! Thank you! That's me - jumping up and down while I type.

And as I said - avoid any biblical disasters and I think you have an entertainment revolution on your hands. Bravissimo!!
        Nerd-o-rama: Oh, I almost forgot. Sam also had the power of Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina for a few seasons (can use any alien technology if it suits the script's purpose.) Then they gave it to Jack for some reason.
        So that's why we've seen so little of Sam and Jack in these past two seasons. They're spending all their free time as the Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina League fighting evil in Washington DC.

Comment

Hey, me@sanctuary, do you actually work with the production team? Or are you a friend thereof but not directly affiliated? Before I say "you guys" in reply to your post, I wanted to make sure who I was talking to.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

The way I look at it, if someone says "It's like a cross between show A and show B." then that's just shorthand, a way of giving someone who's never heard of what you're talking about a point of reference.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Awesome post!

I agree that characters change, but stories often remain the same - just like in real life.

The way you tell the story, how it is acted/ directed/ recorded, and how it is ultimately interpreted by audiences has a nearly infinite number of variables.

Human creativity is close to limitless and new ideas are born every day. Some new ideas wow you, some make you think, and some actually change you. I'm not sure if Sanctuary will change me, but it will change entertainment.

GO TEAM SANCTUARY!!!

YAY FOR MAY!
              Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
              Quint Studer

Comment

Right on

Comment

I saw a list of guest stars here. Dunno if it's real or not, but if it is - Racetrack from BSG is gonna be in it

Comment

OK so for all you Canadian residents, discovery channel's daily planet show will be talking about sanctuary in tonight's episode.
                    Its on 8pm.
                    Enjoy
                    sigpic

Comment

OK so for all you Canadian residents, discovery channel's daily planet show will be talking about sanctuary in tonight's episode.
                      Its on 8pm.
                      Enjoy
                      Zoiks! I thought the Sanctuary bit was Thursday? Better check the tele! It'll be 11pm EST, I imagine, then?
                      Last edited by minigeek; 13 March 2007, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Its on 8pm.
                        Enjoy
                        *turns on the puppy dog eyes*

G'day my Canadian friends. Your words for today are RECORD and YouTube

Oh yeah and everyone, don't forget the Slice of SciFi podcast with N. John Smith today

*waiting for new trailer*
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                          Zoiks! I thought the Sanctuary bit was Thursday? Better check the tele! It'll be 11pm EST, I imagine, then?
                          Yah was gonna be, but seems like it today.
                          sigpic

Comment

fail to record and upload this Minigeek, and we'll disown you from this group. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                              fail to record and upload this Minigeek, and we'll disown you from this group. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

LOL - I don't even have the setup here to go from my television into my computer so I've got my new archos hooked into my HD set top, and as long as it doesn't do any kind of auto copy protection, I will ensure that sanctuaryfans.com has all the dish you guys need. I'm also recording it to my PVR, but I'll have to hook things up to get it off of that if the archos doesn't grab it. Might take a short bit. Odd though that Discovery HD does not air the program, only Discovery Cable (the non HD channel). Too bad about that.

By the by, the ARCHOS is (imho) one of the best PMPs on the market, and also does podcast content. The unit I have is 160 GB and has a great sized screen for a palm-held unit. It also has superior battery life and will read almost any video codec I've ever seen including H.263 format, DIVX, XVID and WMV, etc. You name it. I can't plug it enough. Love the thing! And it's a personal video recorder also, direct to digital, so you can carry your television with you on the bus, the train, the airplane, and plug it into any external source and watch in full resolution on a large screen TV.
                              Last edited by minigeek; 13 March 2007, 06:25 PM.

Comment

And if minigeek doesn't get to it for some reason, you guys have a back up: me.

I just recorded the segment and will put it on YouTube...hopefully within the hour.

Comment

Working...
                                X