Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awwww......*sniffs*......

https://twitter.com/MichaelShanks/st...17613397913600

Deeds xx
    sigpic
    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

I think it's a shame Sanctuary got canceled but at least a Farscape wasn't pulled on them where the show got renewed for a 5 season and then canceled.

It would be nice if they did get a miniseries down the road like Farscape did but in Sanctuary's case it would be nice if was a 3 part series so MW, AT, DK would all have a chance to direct a part of it. A miniseries because I too wasn't totally satisfied with ending as there are some questions I'd like answered:

Are Druitt, Biggie and/or Gregory Mangus dead or alive?

Can abnormals go up to the surface if they wanted to like Henry or Tesla?

but if a miniseries doesn't happen then the fate of Biggie and Druitt and anything else we might have wanted to know or see, so that it would have canon, wasn't meant to be. I know there probably a great chance we won't get a miniseries but I like to think there's a small chance.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

Once again Syfy sets the record for being idiots. Get with the times Syfy, not everyone watches it on tv!

Comment

Originally posted by Steff View Post
          Snow Patrol did not obtain and leak the info before the people of Sanctuary knew of the cancellation.
          Well no, Snow Patrol probably have no idea what we're talking about
          Show Patrol on the other hand....
          "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            Once again Syfy sets the record for being idiots. Get with the times Syfy, not everyone watches it on tv!
            It's kinda a tough thing - the way people are viewing shows today isn't the same as 10 years ago - I think all networks need to catch up with the times....they probably have no real idea of how many people are actually watching.
            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
              Well no, Snow Patrol probably have no idea what we're talking about
              Show Patrol on the other hand....
              Cheeky Monkey . Seriously, at least everyone found out over the weekend. It wasn't SGU revisited.

It's kinda a tough thing - the way people are viewing shows today isn't the same as 10 years ago - I think all networks need to catch up with the times....they probably have no real idea of how many people are actually watching.
              It's hard for them to do because ad sponsored shows are dependant on that revenue. They may measure and get some revenue (minimal) from people watching from their website BUT Hulu revenue and iTunes go to the production companies. So, it's difficult for them the 'catch up' with the times.
              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                Cheeky Monkey . Seriously, at least everyone found out over the weekend. It wasn't SGU revisited.
                It's hard for them to do because ad sponsored shows are dependant on that revenue. They may measure and get some revenue (minimal) from people watching from their website BUT Hulu revenue and iTunes go to the production companies. So, it's difficult for them the 'catch up' with the times.
                I do try my best.

I'm wondering if there is another way to guage audience numbers others than the old way - given todays technology, I would hope they would be able to figure this one out. Any brainiacs out there with an idea how we can do this????
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

The biggest advertising models are still on broadcast. Yes, websites can keep track of who's watching, but it's not that easy. There are people like me that run adblock on a continual basis, there is the belief (and I can't say that it's wrong) that internet viewerships are easily forged and tricked. Couple that with invasions of privacy to track said internet viewers and the itsy bitsy ad rates for internet ads.....you have old school execs that only trust set and proven means of viewership and measurement, you have a generation that hates ads with a passion and will do anything to block and avoid them and that leads to tiny ad rates (advertisors want to get the most views with the least amount of money.....always want a bargain, or their money's worth at least) and online ads are simply not profitable and dependable.

Networks can charge thousands or hundreds of thousands for an on air ad, hundreds for an ad on the website if not less.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I do try my best.

I'm wondering if there is another way to guage audience numbers others than the old way - given todays technology, I would hope they would be able to figure this one out. Any brainiacs out there with an idea how we can do this????
                    There is no easy, nor cost effective way to measure what all people watch (not to mention the privacy issues). Also it's about who is watching the ads not the show.

I think that it wouldn't matter what system was used, you'd still have an element of fandom running around saying the system is broken because it's not giving them the results they think it should; just like they are now.
                    -

Comment

I do try my best.

Sure there are other ways to gauge whether or not a set-top is tuned into a channel, that being said the information Neilson collects is much more,well... Informed. Demographic information is every bit as important as general bums on seats. This isn't just limited to age and gender but it includes regional information, socio-economic status, race etc. all of these things inform advertisers who watch the show and whether or not their ads are well placed. For example, advertising condoms during Dora isn't going to be as effective as advertising the newest coolest doll on the market.
                      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by Steff View Post
                        Rumor Control: Snow Patrol did not obtain and leak the info before the people of Sanctuary knew of the cancellation. They where informed several days before. MAD told the cast and crew over the weekend. They just didn't tweet till the information was released to the public. Sanctuary and the people of Syfy have been very close through this 4 year adventure. You will never hear anything but friendship between them.
                        Well at least that is good.

I do try my best.

Someone should be able to figure out a better way.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                        There is no easy, nor cost effective way to measure what all people watch (not to mention the privacy issues). Also it's about who is watching the ads not the show.
                        And that's the sad part. It doesn't matter how good a show is, or how loyal the followers are, just who is watching the dang ads. "Who cares about a good program, so long as we can try to sell something."
                        sigpic
                        Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          The biggest advertising models are still on broadcast. Yes, websites can keep track of who's watching, but it's not that easy. There are people like me that run adblock on a continual basis, there is the belief (and I can't say that it's wrong) that internet viewerships are easily forged and tricked. Couple that with invasions of privacy to track said internet viewers and the itsy bitsy ad rates for internet ads.....you have old school execs that only trust set and proven means of viewership and measurement, you have a generation that hates ads with a passion and will do anything to block and avoid them and that leads to tiny ad rates (advertisors want to get the most views with the least amount of money.....always want a bargain, or their money's worth at least) and online ads are simply not profitable and dependable.

Networks can charge thousands or hundreds of thousands for an on air ad, hundreds for an ad on the website if not less.
                          Another route for great TV series is the HBO model - they the greatest shows and probably the most expensive like "Game of Thrones" with zero ad rates

Comment

Just a quick question, I have not seen season four yet but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger right ? Does it work as an overall finale for the show ? Or are there many loose ends left ?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                              Just a quick question, I have not seen season four yet but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger right ? Does it work as an overall finale for the show ? Or are there many loose ends left ?
                              It can definitely function as a show finale.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by siles View Post
                                Another route for great TV series is the HBO model - they the greatest shows and probably the most expensive like "Game of Thrones" with zero ad rates
                                Yeah, premium cable does that because they charge a 'premium' to cover advertiser revenue. Not everyone would be willing to pay that for every channel. Imagine how expensive cable packages would be of that see the case. They'd be priced out of business.

Comment

Working...
                                X