Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    Honestly, it'd be good news if skiffy officially cancelled sanctuary. That means they could then shop it at another network. Right now skiffy seems to be playing the 'we got your show, we're keeping your show, and by the way, you need to pay more for the honor of us airing it so we can maintain our profit margin'. Skiffy has sanctuary over a barrel and they know it. They're basically hoping that MAD will give into the pressure to get their show back on the air and play things skiffy's way (we pay less, we dictate more control and we laugh all the way to the bank'
    Unfortunately, with steadily declining/not growing ratings, MAD doesn't have a lot of pull and likely not a lot of other networks clamoring at their door to give them a home. If Sanctuary had been pulling 2+ then Skiffy would know 'we need to keep it cause we don't want TNT or USA or someone else to get this show'. but with their mediocre ratings Sanctuary isn't very appealing to networks. they're the 'kid that can't throw well' in the class and neither ball team is eager to get them.
    Now, honestly, I think a lot of those declining ratings have a lot to do with skiffy's 'guidance and consultation' in season three, but that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if skiffy dictated changes in story adn theme and direction had an adverse effect on the ratings. Skiffy doesn't care and won't be held accountable, all they care about is the end result. They may dictate 'mistakes', but they are never at fault.
    It would be good news if sanctuary were officially cancelled. cause Skiffy would be officially ending their 'dibs' on the show and MAD could shop it to another network.
    Hah! I kinda said that but was obviously on the middle of typing my post when you posted yours...great minds eh!!
    I agree, SyFy dropping Sanctuary may actually end up being a blessing for the show.
    Originally posted by Deevil View Post
    But as you said Skydiver, I'm not sure any other network would pick it up. The ratings have been poor as of late, there is no critical acclaim. It's just another edgeless show (mind you it *was* edgier before Skiffy started to really get involved, but as you said it just doesn't mater).
    Do we know whether or not Skiffy will be able to prevent MAD shopping around? I wouldn't be unhappy for a cancelation and direct to DVD movies. They'll have much longer to make the 'show' they intended too. Plus I think the show is very suited for that outcome...
    I wonder if the futzing with the days that SyFy were airing Sanctuary had anything to do with ratings? We all know that Monday was a no go day yet SyFy put it there when they should have kept it on the Friday. I do believe SyFy has a lot to answer for for the ratings...certainly not entirely but a lot. Add to that the ratings aren't very reliable nowadays given we have all moved ahead with the times while television networks are still living in the 60's.
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I think Monday airings didn't help , but what precipitated the poor ratings doesn't really matter if shopping around. Networks will just see the trends and will realise it may be a bad investment.

Whether or nort ratings are accurate or not (which they are for what they're needed for), they are still important to advertisers and every show is in the same boat.
      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
        I've said that about SyFy for a number of years...in fact I think a lot of tv networks are run by people who have no idea what the real world wants to see. Of course this is just my humble opinion.

I know this may sound childish of me but since SyFy axed SG1 and probably more in the way they axed SG1, I have never held faith in SyFy and was quite concerned when they picked up Sanctuary, despite how happy MAD appeared to be with them.

I agree. Sanctuary improved over the course of the 4 seasons.

I guess it comes down to a matter of opinion. I personally think Sanctuary has a lot more potential than half the shows on tv. For me, SyFy has a nasty habit of pulling the plug on shows that are still in the process of blooming. It's kinda like throwing out a vase of flowers as soon as the first flowers blooms. I understand it all comes down to money & its a business thing but also, in the end, there's a fan base out there that have followed SyFy simply because of those shows and with cast members like Amanda Tapping who have promoted SyFy to the moon & back, it does feel like a stab in the back. Again, just my humble opinon. I've not trusted or held faith in SyFy for many years now. And while I have never subscribed to SyFy, and never will, I have to wonder what the hell goes through their brains when they are selecting which programs to air, coz I seriously think there's something hinky going on behind closed dooors at SyFy.
        THIS! When I got involved with the network because of Sanctuary, I read comments about how Syfy isn't "sci-fi" anymore, but I didn't pay attention to it because I was happy with how things were for the 1 show I watched on the network. Then things took a dark side. I overlooked a lot because it didn't effect Sanctuary, but then what they did in S3, that was the final straw, and the lack of promotion and other things they did to the show, both on and off air...

You sound as though you have a foot in the Sanctuary door Steff.
        It's not quite what Amanda & Damian told me last month about the situation...it's not just about them getting the funding but also waiting for SyFy to make a decision.
        As I told Amanda & Damian, they certainly did a great job with the season 4 finale...should the show never be renewed, they ended it well. But they are hoping to be on air next year though they did say it will not be 2012. I hope they don't get renewed with SyFy and that another network picks them up instead...now that would be wicked awesome.
        Go, Chelle!

It's not quite what WHR had to say either, but they also did say that it could air sometime in 2013, which matches what you're saying from the skype convo. Btw, that was nice of you to tell them they did great.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        Honestly, it'd be good news if skiffy officially cancelled sanctuary. That means they could then shop it at another network. Right now skiffy seems to be playing the 'we got your show, we're keeping your show, and by the way, you need to pay more for the honor of us airing it so we can maintain our profit margin'. Skiffy has sanctuary over a barrel and they know it. They're basically hoping that MAD will give into the pressure to get their show back on the air and play things skiffy's way (we pay less, we dictate more control and we laugh all the way to the bank'

Unfortunately, with steadily declining/not growing ratings, MAD doesn't have a lot of pull and likely not a lot of other networks clamoring at their door to give them a home. If Sanctuary had been pulling 2+ then Skiffy would know 'we need to keep it cause we don't want TNT or USA or someone else to get this show'. but with their mediocre ratings Sanctuary isn't very appealing to networks. they're the 'kid that can't throw well' in the class and neither ball team is eager to get them.

Now, honestly, I think a lot of those declining ratings have a lot to do with skiffy's 'guidance and consultation' in season three, but that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if skiffy dictated changes in story adn theme and direction had an adverse effect on the ratings. Skiffy doesn't care and won't be held accountable, all they care about is the end result. They may dictate 'mistakes', but they are never at fault.

It would be good news if sanctuary were officially cancelled. cause Skiffy would be officially ending their 'dibs' on the show and MAD could shop it to another network.
        THIS! Actually, I've talked to Space about that, and so have other fans, and they said Space couldn't afford the show. Also, Space is more limited in terms on viewership, whereas (and I hate to say it) Syfy is more out there.

About the ratings, see, each show on Syfy has it's "magic number" and that's determenined by how much it costs to make. Eureka's for example was 1.8, because it cost so much, and even though it was getting that number, it cost lots to make, and to pay the people on the show--it cost Syfy lots, so they cancelled it. Sanctuary is a little different, there number was/is 1.3 because it's mostly self-funded. It's clear Syfy doesn't want to be a accountable, I still believe the decline in ratings was because of the BAD Mon move, and if Syfy is holding that over the show...

Sadly I get the whole concept of business & the need to make money but still doesn't make any sense why they would let it hang for so long unless they want to sabotage it to the point that the audience gives up and then they drop it quietly with little backlash. I guess I'll always be sceptical of SyFy & see no good come from them with they way the "do business"
        I'm not quite sure that I agree that SyFy is Sanctuary's only real hope. I don't think SyFy is all that great for many shows with the direction they have taken as of late. I wonder if there is actually another network ouy there where grown ups actually run the place and maybe they can grab it if the opportunity comes along
        I do agree with your statement that should Sanctaury return, I hope it come back revitalised and that certain characters are changed for the better. Not that I like to be over critical coz I'm no writer, actor, producer or anything like that. I'm just the viewer who looks for entertainment value in a show. Sanctuary is one of very few that I am entertained by...hugely because of Amanda Tapping and Jonothan Young but still, the show is different from all the remakes & reality tv that is suffocating our air time.
        Hah! I kinda said that but was obviously on the middle of typing my post when you posted yours...great minds eh!!
        I agree, SyFy dropping Sanctuary may actually end up being a blessing for the show.

I wonder if the futzing with the days that SyFy were airing Sanctuary had anything to do with ratings? We all know that Monday was a no go day yet SyFy put it there when they should have kept it on the Friday. I do believe SyFy has a lot to answer for for the ratings...certainly not entirely but a lot. Add to that the ratings aren't very reliable nowadays given we have all moved ahead with the times while television networks are still living in the 60's.
        Indeed. Like I said above, if it moved to Space, it'd be limited by how many people could see it. As for the bold, I was talking to a friend about what's going on with the show, and they actually don't want the show on Syfy if they're gonna treat them like this. Same with B&C, Syfy has just done so many things over the years, and now with all these new reality shows? Quite a few people on multiple boards weren't happy at all. For me, then the show is done with Syfy, so can we, and that's a blessing.

*Hugs Chelle*

Comment

I find it really interesting that SyFy is getting positive press today. I09's article is titled," How SyFy Will Bring Science Fiction Back to Television!" Now is that a laugh or what? The article is based on what they, "SyFy" has in development, not what they have ready to air. New programming in the ready to air category is represented by 1 show, Defiance. Thinking that SyFy is ready to turn cartwheels with their new programming is nothing more than a dream, IMO.

One last thought, I'm sure that most of you that are posting in this thread realize that we aren't even close to what SyFy is looking for in a viewer demographic. We are a, (pardon the pun) pain in the neck, fringe group. I'm sure if they could pick their viewers they would be a SciFi loving Dancing with the Stars type. At 8pm the viewer would religiously tune to SyFy, drop their remote and then be too lazy to bend over to pick it up. During the next 3 hours said viewer would scarf up whatever garbage SyFy decides to churn out and then rave about it in the morning.

Really, I think SyFy is scared of viewers with live brain tissue. hehehe!

Comment

While a lot of what has been said about Syfy is true (showing less actual scifi, futzing with Sanctuary's air dates, etc) I just want to add that without Syfy, Sanctuary would not have made it to TV. For that matter, SG1 would have ended after season 5 and there would have been no SGA or SGU. I don't live in a Syfy country but am nevertheless grateful to them because , without them, I would never have seen some shows that I love. Have they been perfect? No. Give me an example of a network that is. Are they getting worse? Can't judge that because I don't see the network. However, I remain grateful whatever the ultimate fate of Sanctuary.

BTW, I have seen first hand the mutual respect for the Sanctuary gang and the Syfy rep. I have no doubt that there are many in the Syfy organization who are champions of Sanctuary but they may not prevail over the business decisions made by TPTB.

Let's face it, none of use knows exactly what is going on. If it is the financing that is the issue, again, I thank the Beedie Group for 4 years of Sanctuary and will not condemn them if there is no season 5.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              While a lot of what has been said about Syfy is true (showing less actual scifi, futzing with Sanctuary's air dates, etc) I just want to add that without Syfy, Sanctuary would not have made it to TV. For that matter, SG1 would have ended after season 5 and there would have been no SGA or SGU. I don't live in a Syfy country but am nevertheless grateful to them because , without them, I would never have seen some shows that I love. Have they been perfect? No. Give me an example of a network that is. Are they getting worse? Can't judge that because I don't see the network. However, I remain grateful whatever the ultimate fate of Sanctuary.

BTW, I have seen first hand the mutual respect for the Sanctuary gang and the Syfy rep. I have no doubt that there are many in the Syfy organization who are champions of Sanctuary but they may not prevail over the business decisions made by TPTB.

Let's face it, none of use knows exactly what is going on. If it is the financing that is the issue, again, I thank the Beedie Group for 4 years of Sanctuary and will not condemn them if there is no season 5.
              Well said!

Criticism is good and constructive, but let's not forget the positive sides as well. (Yes, the fangirl inside me is rolling her eyes, but still...)

Comment

I was thinking exactly the same about SG-1. (See the S10 Critique and Contemplation thread for what I thought of S9/S10 though. )

I'm grateful for the good stuff we got and sad for what *I* deem a bad turn. I'd like to point out that I didn't bother with 2 eps of S4 because they dealt with Hollow Earth and Will. Not a fan. I'll see them when I buy the DVDs. If we get a S5 I hope that reset button gets rid of some of the less interesting (to me) storylines. I'll wait and see. Heaven knows I can't do anything to change the situation.
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  If we get a S5 I hope that reset button gets rid of some of the less interesting (to me) storylines. I'll wait and see. Heaven knows I can't do anything to change the situation.
                  Well, clearly Will has to dump Abby because she can't know where the new Sanctuary is or that Magnus is still alive and that means we'll at least be spared those awfully juvenile, embarrassing and awkward (for the viewers at least) scenes of them "having sex" half-clothed on the couch. And thank god for that considering they might want to christen all the rooms in the new Sanctuary!
                  Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Unlikely. They like the actress too much. Scaling back that sort of behaviour would be nice though. Hopefully they will use CH more. Depends what is doing on with his other projects. I missed Druitt, though BTH it wasn't quite the same once they created that energy being possession. I could also do without all the politicking. That seems likely. Hollow Earth, if they end up more like allies than a terrorist group I suppose would be okay in small doses. Ah well. Whatever will be, will be.

Honestly, after the mixed up comments regarding Ashley's departure in the DVDs and later interviews I don't trust much of what anyone says.
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I hope they don't get renewed with SyFy and that another network picks them up instead...now that would be wicked awesome.
                      i hope 1- that if sanct is renewed, it brings back some fan favorites and drops what's not been working for years, and 2- that they just leave sanct as is and move on to a new venture.

the two don't work together, but i can't make up my mind which one i want more.
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm doing something something special for my BFF () and I need to know, what cons will Agam and Chris be at this year? And if possible, Robert and Jonathan.

Comment

i honestly think that 'skiffy bringing back scifi' is nothing more than whitewash and distration from the fact that about all their new shows for the fall are unscripted junk.

'oh, wait people are noticing we're the 'crappy reality show'channel, quick, someone write us a piece on these shows we might eventually make some day adn we'll see if we can distract them'

They shoulda changed their name to REALTY
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skydiver View Post
                              i honestly think that 'skiffy bringing back scifi' is nothing more than whitewash and distration from the fact that about all their new shows for the fall are unscripted junk.

'oh, wait people are noticing we're the 'crappy reality show'channel, quick, someone write us a piece on these shows we might eventually make some day adn we'll see if we can distract them'

they shoulda changed their name to realty
                              This!!!!!!

Comment

No way it'll be announced at upfronts and NOT have hit twitter at least. Folks from the media attend upfronts too, so while it *may* be canceled, the upfront story doesn't make much sense.

Did the rumour come from WHR *cough*
                                Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                                X