Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    Actually in Canada it's LaboUr Day and it falls on the same day
    it's laboUr day in oz too

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    This sounds good!

From Carole Appleby (Sanctuary publicist) on Twitter:

caroleapple Shot fun station ID's today w #Sanctuary (client) cast for broadcasters around the world. Ever heard Bigfoot promote a TV show?! In German?
    "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

This sounds good!

From Carole Appleby (Sanctuary publicist) on Twitter:

caroleapple Shot fun station ID's today w #Sanctuary (client) cast for broadcasters around the world. Ever heard Bigfoot promote a TV show?! In German?
      Cant wait to see it!

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      Actually in Canada it's LaboUr Day and it falls on the same day
      LOL
      Here (Portugal) is May 1st.

Comment

Well this will be good news for some (Me! Me! ) and bad news for others -

In a recent interview Ryan had this to say :
        RR: We started to do that tiling effect, like comic book tiles, throughout season two, and it carried over to season three.

It's an effect that I really enjoy, used both to transition scenes and depict multiple reactions at the same time, I love that comicbook style. I was hoping that they would continue to use this style however I do realise it distracts and annoys others.
        -

Comment

RR: We started to do that tiling effect, like comic book tiles, throughout season two, and it carried over to season three.

It's an effect that I really enjoy, used both to transition scenes and depict multiple reactions at the same time, I love that comicbook style. I was hoping that they would continue to use this style however I do realise it distracts and annoys others.
          i'm actually one of the fans of this style! for me, it really does offer the opportunity to view multiple images at the same time. i don't mind rewinding to view another one of the tiles in more detail. i guess as long as it's not the only way to watch sanctuary, like the entire show is filmed this way, it's not that distracting for those that don't like it.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

I like it as a transition, or when there's something big going on and it's nice to see a reaction from all 4 characters at once.

just not as your random average transition however
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

awesome! i really like this affect its one of the things i liked about csi miami... so im glad that they are continuing with it... its great for seeing multiple reactions or venues at once...
              "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

Not a big fan. They kinda over did it in S02.

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
                  Not a big fan. They kinda over did it in S02.
                  I agree. I can cope if it's used sparingly, but it tends to take me out of the story.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                    I agree. I can cope if it's used sparingly, but it tends to take me out of the story.
                    Me too. My sister really likes the show and I follow the behind the scenes stuff & fill her in. We were talking about the tile thing & she thought it was overdone. When I explained that they were doing it for the graphic novel effect she said "oh, then it makes sense."

imho, sometimes it's been used really well, but other times you miss something. Like in Veritas, the first time I watched it I was watching Will & the gang's reaction & missed Helen firing the gun! You wind up having to rewatch, like Sally says. Not that I mind rewatching, but you shouldn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                      Me too. My sister really likes the show and I follow the behind the scenes stuff & fill her in. We were talking about the tile thing & she thought it was overdone. When I explained that they were doing it for the graphic novel effect she said "oh, then it makes sense."

imho, sometimes it's been used really well, but other times you miss something. Like in Veritas, the first time I watched it I was watching Will & the gang's reaction & missed Helen firing the gun! You wind up having to rewatch, like Sally says. Not that I mind rewatching, but you shouldn't have to.
                      I never have to rewatch though. Maybe it's a difference in focus/watching technique. I used to be a huge gamer and it's a trick to watch the whole screen and not focus on one part so you don't miss anything. I can still do it even though my eyesight is impaired these days.

I'd actually like to see it used a little more for multiple character reactions/perspectives and a little less for scene transitions.
                      -

Comment

I dont miss anything, when they use it. Its just not original. They had Will's vision and cut that out.
                        Wished they had the idea the guys from Sherlock had. The way Sherlock sees things with words popping up is really cool.

Comment

I did a list of the DVD contents on the DVD thread when they came out if people want to look it up.

Season 2 Podcast list -

1 - Martin, Amanda, Damian
                          2 - Martin, Amanda, Damian
                          3 - Martin, Amanda, Damian
                          4 - Martin, Chris Gauthier
                          5 - Martin, Amanda, Damian
                          6 - Damian, Steve Adelson
                          7 - Martin, Amanda
                          8 - Martin, Amanda, Damian, Lee Wilson
                          9 - Martin, Amanda, Damian
                          10 - Amanda, Damian
                          11 - Martin, Damian, Chris Heyerdahl
                          12 & 13 - Martin, Callum Blue, Lee Wilson, Gordon Rempel
                          Awesome, thanks for the lists.

Fave Helen/Amanda episodes? off the top of my head:

Requiem
                          Eulogy
                          Veritas
                          End of Nights
                          Kush
                          Ditto for me, except I like The Five a bit better than Veritas. And an honorable mention to Next Tuesday for showcasing a side of Helen we normally don't see.

I'm mixed about the tiling. I do like it for the most part and for a show that's going for a graphic novel feel I think it definitely fits as an editing style. I do think they need to use it a bit more judiciously than they did in S2. It's a bit like the bullet-time effect from the Matrix to me, it's a neat effect that can easily become annoying if you overdo it.

I like it best when it's used for multiple reactions/dramatic effect like in the Kate interrogation scene from EON part 1, or transitioning between scenes like bouncing back and forth between Will dancing and Helen and Henry in the helicopter from Kali.

sigpic

Comment

so i watched 'next tuesday' a bit ago (on dvd ). i'm absolutely astounded that this ep didn't win a visual effects award, for the creatures alone!
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

I dont miss anything, when they use it. Its just not original. They had Will's vision and cut that out.
                              Wished they had the idea the guys from Sherlock had. The way Sherlock sees things with words popping up is really cool.
                              I think sometimes they overdid the "Willvision" too. But I think here and there it was a distinctive thing, as you say.

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                              Ditto for me, except I like The Five a bit better than Veritas. And an honorable mention to Next Tuesday for showcasing a side of Helen we normally don't see.
                              Yeah, it was a tough choice. I love those too. Ask me on another day and they'd have made the list instead.

transitioning between scenes like bouncing back and forth between Will dancing and Helen and Henry in the helicopter from Kali.
                              Good example. I think it worked well there to heighten the tension.

Comment

I like the tiling used with moderation.

I think sometimes they overdid the "Willvision" too. But I think here and there it was a distinctive thing, as you say.
                                Martin responded to a question at SE about this (someone who attended SE with a better memory please correct me if I'm wrong or miss something) and he said they stopped doing them because they knew they had an intelligent audience and didn't need "Will vision" to point out the obvious. I believe he said they were trying to think of another way of doing it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X