Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh. I've had enough of the stunt casting. If people are guests, I reckon it should be for the right reasons: the fact that they are talented and right for the role, not because they're a big sci-fi name. Big name guest stars and stunt casting cheapen the whole thing, and can be rather distracting.

I will accept that fact that a lot of the actors that they use in Sanctuary will have been in other genre shows because, let's face it, once in Vancouver Sci-Fi, always in Vancouver Sci-Fi, right? But do we really need facing with them every week? I would much rather see these existing names blend into the show like Leah Cairns, rather than the in-your-face "Look at me, I'm from Battlestar" of Kandyse McClure or the other one.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
      Meh. I've had enough of the stunt casting. If people are guests, I reckon it should be for the right reasons: the fact that they are talented and right for the role, not because they're a big sci-fi name. Big name guest stars and stunt casting cheapen the whole thing, and can be rather distracting.

I will accept that fact that a lot of the actors that they use in Sanctuary will have been in other genre shows because, let's face it, once in Vancouver Sci-Fi, always in Vancouver Sci-Fi, right? But do we really need facing with them every week? I would much rather see these existing names blend into the show like Leah Cairns, rather than the in-your-face "Look at me, I'm from Battlestar" of Kandyse McClure or the other one.
      Yeap, but they also can lead to better ratings (or at least Sci-fi execs think so); since Sanctuary is still a new show and is not backed up by a major studio like MGM how much influence do you think Sci-fi has over the show?

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
        Yeap, but they also can lead to better ratings (or at least Sci-fi execs think so); since Sanctuary is still a new show and is not backed up by a major studio like MGM how much influence do you think Sci-fi has over the show?
        Yes, they can lead to better ratings, but that's in the short term rather than the long term as a rule. Fans of show B will tune into show A to see their favourite show B actor. But when it's a genre show like this where there are already a hell of a lot of show B fans watching show A, will it make that much difference? I don't know... as you say, I'm not the studio exec.

This is something I've often wondered... the control bit. Damian, Amanda, Martin and the gang have said time and time again that Tricon are distributing and they are totally independent and Sci-Fi don't actually own them etc, etc and they won't compromise the show. Now... I can understand them taking notes from an experienced network (even if it IS skiffy!) but at the same time, things like the stunt casting makes me think that perhaps Sci-Fi have a lot more control than the Sanctuary guys are will to admit.

I forgive them the stunt casting in season one. They need to establish themselves. Though I think they went overboard with it, even then (I know two girls who stopped watching because the stunt casting was such a cheap gimmick and very distracting). However, I would hope that they at least LESSEN that stunt casting in season two.

Comment

Just because you recognise the actor doesn't mean it is stunt casting. Quite frankly I don't class any of the casting I've seen so far as stunt casting.
          -

Comment

I was just thinking ... who was I supposed to recognize lol. But then ... I just started watching SGA season 1 and it took me like 3 eps before I realised Christopher Heyerdal is in it. Hehe.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
              Just because you recognise the actor doesn't mean it is stunt casting. Quite frankly I don't class any of the casting I've seen so far as stunt casting.
              I agree. I think closer to the truth may be a comment I read somewhere that it's relatively hard to cast the show because, given the nature of how it's filmed, not every actor has the experience or willingness necessary to even act in that environment which means they're actually casting from a subset of the acting community in the first place.

Comment

Hmmm... I call it stunt casting because Sci-Fi specifically requested those actors in those roles to boost ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                  Hmmm... I call it stunt casting because Sci-Fi specifically requested those actors in those roles to boost ratings.
                  Do you have proof of that?

I personally don't see any evidence of stunt casting. Kavan Smith was in the webisodes and Kandyse McClure is hardly a member of the main cast of BSG. If they had been going for a stunt cast, they would have gone for Katee Sackhoff or Tricia Helfer in that role. Just because they were advertizing that she was from BSG doesn't mean that she was cast solely for that reason. For me, stunt casting is having Brad Pitt on "Friends".

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post

I personally don't see any evidence of stunt casting. Kavan Smith was in the webisodes and Kandyse McClure is hardly a member of the main cast of BSG. If they had been going for a stunt cast, they would have gone for Katee Sackhoff or Tricia Helfer in that role. Just because they were advertizing that she was from BSG doesn't mean that she was cast solely for that reason. For me, stunt casting is having Brad Pitt on "Friends".
                    Gargh.... Amanda said it at some point in an interview, I'm sure. She said something about Sci-Fi wanting these actors from other shows. But I really can't remember where it was.

Comment

Or a two-parter of SGA dedicated to Michael Shanks , but I digress. When it comes to Stargate actors appearing in Sanctuary, these people have worked together for years. They know each other well and from what I gather from interviews, they tend to be friends. It seems natural they look first for people you know and appreciate, especially, as other people have said, when choices are limited in the first place.

Edit: And actually, even if Sci-Fi wanted specific actors for the role, as long as they fit in the story I don't mind.
                      My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
                      Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
                      sigpic

Comment

LMAO! I doubt they have the money for either of them (remember DK, AT and MW had to forfeit their EP earnings)

Comment

guest cast or stunt casting (sorry when I see "stunt" I think if the folks who do the dangerous stuff that actors can't do due to insurance issues) in a show like Sanctuary is going to be from folks who live in Vancouver since unlike the US, Canada's acting pool isn't as HUGE as it is in the US.

As for SciFi wanting to boost ratings, we should be thankful. At least they (for now) still want Sanctuary to do well. Wait until they get tired of it (like they did with Farscape). Then you should worry about which guest cast they want on the show.
                          sigpic
                          I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                            I didn't really recognize anyone so I guess if there was stunt casting it didn't work on me!
                            (I take that back I did recognize Kavan Smith, but he was in the webisodes too and I don't see him as a big star from SGA.)

I think we'll see a lot of Vancouver actors we've seen in other productions just b/c they're known to the producers and don't have to be flown in.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                              I didn't really recognize anyone so I guess if there was stunt casting it didn't work on me!
                              (I take that back I did recognize Kavan Smith, but he was in the webisodes too and I don't see him as a big star from SGA.)

I think we'll see a lot of Vancouver actors we've seen in other productions just b/c they're known to the producers and don't have to be flown in.

Have you been sharing my brain again? I didn't regognize anyone either. I haven't watched BSG since they moved it to Sunday nights a few years ago.

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

jckfan lives in her own little world.

My take on seeing familiar faces is a combination of factors mentioned by others. First, the Canadian acting pool is smaller than that of the US. Second, scifi (the genre not the network) tends to use the same pool of talent and that may be in part because it does take a special skill to do green screen work without looking silly. Third, it just makes sense to use people you are familiar with, that you like and who you know are not going to cause trouble on set.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X