Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok here's a question for you all. When ITV4 replayed all the episodes I re dvr'd them all to enjoy later and have been working my way through them all when I get a moment. I've just rewatched Edward but managed to watch The Five the same night and the 'previously on Sanctuary' for The Five made me think of something.

As the series has now finished and we know a lot more about stuff that at the beginning of the series seemed so intriging, there are bits that seem odd in hindsight.

In the first episode when Helen gave John the tainted blood, after he injected it and started fritzing he said "The others......The Five......they will come". At that point we where all thinking about who where the five amongst other things.

However, now that we have seen the series what exactly did John mean by this? At the time it seemed like he was saying that the Five would come as a response to Helens actions, that by giving him the tainted blood she was setting a group into motion that would take action against what she had done.

However knowing what we know now The Five is not what it seemed at the begining. The Five consisted of Helen, John, Nikola Tesla, John Watson and James Griffen. Of The Five, John was talking to Helen so it counts them out, Griffen is dead (Granted John might not have known that but they had to have assumed it seing as he didn't have longevity, or a device for keeping him alive like Watson did), Tesla was in the wind but still technically on their side at that point and Watson works for Helen. Granted he seemed to have issues with working for a woman but it wasn't significant, not enough to turn against her.

So what exactly did John means by that statement when of The Five, one is dead, one works for Helen, one is neutral/self interest oriented, and the other 2 are Helen and John themselves? Was it just an oversight in the writing? Something to make the episode more dramatic, to lead into the Cabal?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
      Ok here's a question for you all. When ITV4 replayed all the episodes I re dvr'd them all to enjoy later and have been working my way through them all when I get a moment. I've just rewatched Edward but managed to watch The Five the same night and the 'previously on Sanctuary' for The Five made me think of something.

As the series has now finished and we know a lot more about stuff that at the beginning of the series seemed so intriging, there are bits that seem odd in hindsight.

In the first episode when Helen gave John the tainted blood, after he injected it and started fritzing he said "The others......The Five......they will come". At that point we where all thinking about who where the five amongst other things.

However, now that we have seen the series what exactly did John mean by this? At the time it seemed like he was saying that the Five would come as a response to Helens actions, that by giving him the tainted blood she was setting a group into motion that would take action against what she had done.

However knowing what we know now The Five is not what it seemed at the begining. The Five consisted of Helen, John, Nikola Tesla, John Watson and James Griffen. Of The Five, John was talking to Helen so it counts them out, Griffen is dead (Granted John might not have known that but they had to have assumed it seing as he didn't have longevity, or a device for keeping him alive like Watson did), Tesla was in the wind but still technically on their side at that point and Watson works for Helen. Granted he seemed to have issues with working for a woman but it wasn't significant, not enough to turn against her.

So what exactly did John means by that statement when of The Five, one is dead, one works for Helen, one is neutral/self interest oriented, and the other 2 are Helen and John themselves? Was it just an oversight in the writing? Something to make the episode more dramatic, to lead into the Cabal?
      Another aspect you should consider is that at the time Druitt wasn't sane so...
      -

Comment

See, Tesla was clearly insane, as was Druitt. Interesting little point to make is that Sanctuary has James Watson, not John Watson (however, this is no oversight as in one Sherlock Holmes story, Mary - Watson's wife - calls him James) and Griffin is Nigel Griffin (this is because the character Griffin in The Invisible Man, the novel by HG Wells, had no first name).

If you look to the novel and comics as inspiration for Nigel Griffin, you can see that after he becomes invisible, he becomes insane, raping schoolchildren (in the comic), burning down buildings and stealing (both in the novel).

Could it be, then, that the vampire blood, when altering the physiology, affects the chemical balance in the brain in a way that is detrimental? Helen said to John, "let me treat you" and also commented to Tesla, "Have you stopped taking your medication?" With three of the Five being marginally less than the socially accepted concept of stable and balance, could we perhaps assume that Watson and Helen were affected in the same way but are on medication? Or perhaps Watson was exempt from this, given that it was his intellect affected.

How does this link you your question, Mousie? If John thought the others shared his condition, then he might also assume that they would seek her out for her blood, seeking longevity. Bear in mind that longevity was Helen's gift no-one elses. I honestly believe that Griffin died of old age. Watson's longevity was due to the power pack he wore, Druitt's was due to Helen's blood and Tesla's is more complexed because he became a vampire at a basic level. Or alternatively seeking retribution for her actions. Which is possibly the more likely.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

it's also possible that helen wasn't supposed to have the blood. she broke the rules by having some, and john was like 'yeah, how that they know you got this, they're gonna come for thier share'

which might be what tracy was aiming towards

Helen seems to be a pro at breaking/interpreting the rules to suit herself and her needs
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Helen seems to be a pro at breaking/interpreting the rules to suit herself and her needs
            Hehe... House? House is in on it all, isn't he? Her brother? Son? Lover?
            Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Made with love and chocolate brownies by Spacegirlnz

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
              Oddly, I had a friend ask me the exact same question last night.

I honestly wouldn't read too much into it. Given Druitt's insanity at that point from a storytelling point of view, and given AT's words about how they added and shifted the storylines throughout the season, I suspect it's a writing thing - 'they' changed their mind about making The Five threatening and Druitt's having been insane at the time makes it possible to not take his words at face value.

That said, it is possible the 'they' in the last phrase: "The others.. The Five.. they will come" is actually refering to the Cabal and that he's warning that the Cabal is moving against abnormals in general and therefore The Five (the others) are in danger... Maybe he's warning The Five, not warning about The Five.

How's that for a complete non-answer? Though either way I still wouldn't read too much into it.

Comment

Sky... sort of partially what I had in mind but I'm notoriously bad at expressing myself and I had a brain block when posting! You always put things so well.

And Neep, I think that has the potential to be the most hilarious crossover crackfic in the history of the multifandom.
                Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

That's interesting Tracey and it might also be that maybe Damian and the others hadn't quite decided on the exact role of the Five at that point, and having to tie John in in conjunction with the footage salvaged fromt he webisodes. It might explain why the box Helen got the blood for John from seemed to contain a few other vials as well. Why have them if she's not expecting the others to turn up for them?

I don't know if I would classify them as insane though. Phsycotic and sociopathic probably, but not insane.
                  sigpic

Comment

it's also possible that helen wasn't supposed to have the blood. she broke the rules by having some, and john was like 'yeah, how that they know you got this, they're gonna come for thier share
                    Except I thought the blood was supposed to be her blood, not The Source blood. And I can't imagine it would come as a surprise that she had access to her own blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post

And Neep, I think that has the potential to be the most hilarious crossover crackfic in the history of the multifandom.
                      Why thank you, I do try. *bows head*
                      Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
                        Hehe... House? House is in on it all, isn't he? Her brother? Son? Lover?
                        she is very much like Gregory House, just far, far less abrasive

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferJF View Post
                          Except I thought the blood was supposed to be her blood, not The Source blood. And I can't imagine it would come as a surprise that she had access to her own blood.
                          true, it may have been hers. but she'd obviously saboutaged it somehow. she seemed to think and feel that it'd hurt him or be deadly.

having that 'poison' on hand, along with the EM shield of the sanctuary suggests that she'd been expecting him to track her down. she knew he was going to come eventually and was preparing for it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                            Could you imagine? Wouldn't that be sweet if Amanda and little Olivia made a movie together? Or better yet, could you imagine if Olivia became a cast member in a future Stargate show? Carter Jr .
                            Please! Grace O'Neill

Comment

she is very much like Gregory House, just far, far less abrasive
                              And she doesn't make so many "afternoon delight" or "quickie" jokes... or gesture with her cane and mention that Cuddy likes her "hard wood."

Just saying. Would be an entirely different show
                              Neep, NZBG, Eileen!

Pooh-Bah/Ko-Ko FTW!

Comment

having that 'poison' on hand, along with the EM shield of the sanctuary suggests that she'd been expecting him to track her down. she knew he was going to come eventually and was preparing for it
                                Which is rather interesting if you think about it. Why did she have vials of her own blood? I mean, I get why she did, that it was so it could be ready-poisoned in case John showed up. But I think he'd have been suspicious.

Comment

Working...
                                X