Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I said it in another thread but I think this episode has great potential as fic material and I can't wait to see if any are written about it!
    sigpic

Comment

I finally managed to watch Requiem on Tuesday morning before college. And boy oh boy, it was amazing! truly brilliant acting from both Amanda and Robin. As for the story, wow! I wish I had time to write what I thought but college calls again lol. You guys have said all the stuff and I agree 100%. I agree with Titi about...
      Spoiler:
      I think its all Helen we see...scary huh!

I'll watch again when I've done the last show from the pantomime.

Julia(samcarterrules)
      sigpic
      Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
        I have a question...
        Spoiler:
        could it have been the parasite itself that was saying those things...particularly about being alone??? I mean we can take it as being Helen but could it be possible that the parasite was speaking through Helen? I just don't get why she would threaten Will with infection...I didn't buy the whole "I had to convince you" thing. I just can't see Helen ever doing that...but the parasite is a different matter. So maybe she had no control?? Maybe??
        Great question!

Spoiler:
        I wondered that, too. Initially, I thought it was Helen, uninhibited, but then I wondered about her desire to constantly take the submarine deeper - it was more than relieving her headaches, the deep seemed to be drawing her. I thought at that point the parasite must be influencing her. Maybe a mixture of both? Parasite gave her a primal drive to return to the deep, but also unmasked aggressive behaviors that were Helen?
        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
        Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
          [SPOILERS]

Ya know, I almost deleted my comment after I posted it. I just KNEW that one of you would have something to say.
          Hey, it's what we do!

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post

Requiem really gave us some good insights into Magnus because of
          Spoiler:
          the parasite. Under most circumstances she wouldn't admit in such a direct way that she's been lonely or that her gift has been a curse. "Do you think I wanted this life?" I think is what she yells at Will. In the webisodes & in ep 1 I think she says she had Ashley when she couldn't stand the loneliness anymore. But of course she knows she'll probably outlive her. Talk about angst.

On another note, do you think the parasite was already lowering her inhibitions when she she made the comment to Will about him seeing her as some kind of curiosity?
          I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with rderoch. (See below).

Spoiler:
          I think she was definitely being affected already. "Normal" Helen wouldn't accuse Will of thinking of her as entertainment. I don't think that would even cross her mind. It acted pretty quickly on her emotions. Though this makes me wonder now if the things closest to the surface in her psyche were the first to emerge under the parasite's influence. If so, then her fears, losing her relationship with Ashley and not having Will's respect, are the closest to the surface. Her anger and resentment are emotions that are much deeper. Not sure what that means, but this episode definitely gets ya to thinking. The more I watch it, think about it, the more I love it.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

requiem spoilage

Spoiler:

the parasite could create a need or compulsion. Kinda like, one theory about cravings wehn one is pregnant is that what one is craving contains a vitamin or mineral that your body needs, thus you crave it to fulfill that need.

I watched a show on survival once, and a guy was trapped on a raft for weeks. he caught and ate raw fish and started to crave the raw fish, not because it was appetizing, but because it contained the nutrients that his body needed to survive, so his mind 'tricked' his body into wanting to eat what one would normally find repugnant, because the body needed it.

the parasite possibly needed the pressure and depth to survive or reproduce adn pushed the body into going where it needed to be
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
              Spoiler:
              I think it was all Helen. I don't think the parasite could speak, or do anything, all it did was use her as a host and in doing so attack her limbic system. I think Helen without control is a scary person. She's been around for a long time, she's had a lot of power and influence over extremely significant people in her lifetime, which could all go to her head very easily. She's also spent a lot of time getting her own way, both through independence and through it being the right way and having proteges and followers etc. I think without the control she resorted to threats she wouldn't usually employ in order to get things done her way and because of the pain, which affects everyones ability to think rationally anyway. But I think it was all Helen. I don't think the parasite was intelligent, or had a voice at all.
              I agree.
              Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              requiem spoilage

Spoiler:

the parasite could create a need or compulsion. Kinda like, one theory about cravings wehn one is pregnant is that what one is craving contains a vitamin or mineral that your body needs, thus you crave it to fulfill that need.

I watched a show on survival once, and a guy was trapped on a raft for weeks. he caught and ate raw fish and started to crave the raw fish, not because it was appetizing, but because it contained the nutrients that his body needed to survive, so his mind 'tricked' his body into wanting to eat what one would normally find repugnant, because the body needed it.

the parasite possibly needed the pressure and depth to survive or reproduce adn pushed the body into going where it needed to be
              Yes, I think that was the case. It seemed to need
              Spoiler:
              the depth somehow. And it "rewarded" the host with the sunshiny feeling. Without being intelligent it could still exert that compulsion, as you say.
              I think I saw the same science show you did. Fascinating & repulsive.

Comment

a primal 'action = reward' is hard wired in humans.
                Spoiler:
                for example runners or bicylists...if you exercise to a point, your body releases endorphines that gives you a natural high. it's your reward for exercising. and it gets addictive. it may take 1 mile to get it one week, then 1.1, then 1.2, etc, and as your prowess increases, the level needed to get the rush increases

the parasite very likely operated the same way. it would use endorphines to compel the host to do what it wanted, even if it didn't understand or was consciously aware of what it did
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  a primal 'action = reward' is hard wired in humans.
                  Spoiler:
                  for example runners or bicylists...if you exercise to a point, your body releases endorphines that gives you a natural high. it's your reward for exercising. and it gets addictive. it may take 1 mile to get it one week, then 1.1, then 1.2, etc, and as your prowess increases, the level needed to get the rush increases

the parasite very likely operated the same way. it would use endorphines to compel the host to do what it wanted, even if it didn't understand or was consciously aware of what it did
                  The thought of
                  Spoiler:
                  'sunshine' at 4000 ft gave me the giggles. But the memories associated with it make sense. Esp if you happened to grow up in a city that has a good bit of dreariness.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                    I was getting a little concerned that maybe I had to get my ears checked or something...I thought I was only the only one who heard the cockney twang.

Well, when you grow up as an American who is outright intrigued and in love with anything English, you tend to pick apart things like that.

Considering the license plate rim I had made for my first car:

This Girl Brakes
                    For English Accents
                    Jenni

Comment

Re Requiem:

To add to what Sky and jckfan said:

Spoiler:
                      First that was an awesome analogy with the fish.... the body craving what it needs to survive. That adds to that sunshine effect that seratonin levels can drop from having a lack of.... the parasite in Helen did crave the depth... That sunshiney effect was a perfect way to say that...
                      The deeper they went, the more it needed to feed on... Just like a strain of a bacteria or virus... I totally forget which and I could go wiki it, but it's a bit late, and this should still make sense.... It would get to a new depth, and then almost grow immune to the depth needing more....

Does that make any sense or am I seriously just talking crazy....

OT but slight reference to Requiem, sorta, possibly...:
                      Spoiler:
                      I felt like such a geek the other day, I was having a moment with my computer.... Mainly it wasn't doing what I needed it to do so I was 'chatting' with it as my mother likes to now refer to it.... Mainly I felt a little nutty because I thought it was going to crash, and I kept telling it, 'you're okay...you're fine' until I realized how it was coming out of my mouth...and then I felt like a complete dork.... It probably didn't help that the ep had really just finished on my television....
                      I'm not the only one who talks to the computer though right?
                      Last edited by ~Sarah~; 11 December 2008, 09:38 PM. Reason: *I just don't wanna get in trouble for not putting it in spoilers...*
                      sigpic
                      awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

New blog update!
                        http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/index...Join_ID=237207

And WOOT for commentaries on the DVDs!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
                          Re Requiem:

Spoiler:
                          First that was an awesome analogy with the fish.... the body craving what it needs to survive. That adds to that sunshine effect that seratonin levels can drop from having a lack of.... the parasite in Helen did crave the depth... That sunshiney effect was a perfect way to say that...
                          The deeper they went, the more it needed to feed on... Just like a strain of a bacteria or virus... I totally forget which and I could go wiki it, but it's a bit late, and this should still make sense.... It would get to a new depth, and then almost grow immune to the depth needing more....

Spoiler:
                          I felt like such a geek the other day, I was having a moment with my computer.... Mainly it wasn't doing what I needed it to do so I was 'chatting' with it as my mother likes to now refer to it.... Mainly I felt a little nutty because I thought it was going to crash, and I kept telling it, 'you're okay...you're fine' until I realized how it was coming out of my mouth...and then I felt like a complete dork.... It probably didn't help that the ep had really just finished on my television....
                          I talk to my computer too. Did you put your hand on it's monitor and tell it to stay?

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                          New blog update!

Yay commentaries! Now let's hope for bloopers.

Hi, Jan!
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                          Anon

Comment

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
                            New blog update!

Thanks Jan. Great news.

Originally posted by ~Sarah~ View Post
                            Re Requiem:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                            I talk to my computer too. Did you put your hand on it's monitor and tell it to stay?

I talk to mine but mostly just to curse at it.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I don't talk to my computer as far as I know, but I do talk to my car sometimes. I have been known to say "good girl" and pat the dashboard when it starts up on a below zero day...

Comment

I patronise my computer...usually along the lines of, "now stop making a fuss" when the fan starts whirring when I ask it to do two things at once. I talk to the car more...especially in winter.
                                sigpic
                                Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                                My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Working...
                                X