Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suse View Post
    Oh yeah, it was intentional. Amazing attention to detail.

suse
    Yep I agree with Suse

Spoiler:
    I think she purposefully(sp?) used the american accent to Will, like making fun of his accent. To more so taunt Will than anything else.

What an awesome episode, both Amanda and Robin turned in a tour de force performance tonight
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

the thing is that it didn't sound like an american accent to me. it sounded more british.. like even though now Magnus very much has a british accent with her proper grammar and stuff, it sounded to me like she was slipping back into a thicker accent. I dunno, i guess i should watch it again.
      i would love to hear the actual reasoning behind it though... and i loved the scene right before the very last one.. if you've seen it you probably know the one i mean

Comment

Originally posted by Naddy View Post
        I dunno, i guess i should watch it again.
        i
        Excuses excuses...heee
        Jenni

Comment

more argh! when i play online scrabble, it messes with my clock. i have more time to wait than i thought!

i'll go watch the last of atlantis to pass my time.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            more argh! when i play online scrabble, it messes with my clock. i have more time to wait than i thought!

i'll go watch the last of atlantis to pass my time.
            Trust me hon, it'll be well worth the wait .

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              Yep I agree with Suse

Spoiler:
              I think she purposefully(sp?) used the american accent to Will, like making fun of his accent. To more so taunt Will than anything else.

What an awesome episode, both Amanda and Robin turned in a tour de force performance tonight
              Wow! We agree!

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
              Trust me hon, it'll be well worth the wait .
              Most definitely. Watching a second time and enjoying it just as much. I wonder if it will be just as good the third, thirtieth, three hundredth......time.
              Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
              William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
              Anon

Comment

What an incredible episode!

Spoiler:
                Amanda bein' bad. We haven't seen that too much over the years...and wasn't it fun? Tee-hee!

This show just keeps getting better and better.

Comment

BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                  BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                  BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                  BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                  BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                  BRAVO AMANDA!!!
                  BRAVO AMANDA!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA! I saw Requiem on my TMN, and all I can is: W-O-W-- WOW! I've never, seen anything like it, Requiem was Sanctuary's "Line in the Sand", but WAY better. This was hands down, without question, without a doubt, THE best episode this season. I've never seen her act like that, Amanda did a spectacular job showing off Helen's dark and crazy side, she gave so many looks that were just dark, creepy, crazy, devious and totally evil. Amanda was nothing short of phenomenal in this episode, I can see why she thought this was the bravest and toughest she's ever done, Amanda truly gave the performance of her life.

Spoiler:
                  Before I start I just wanna say sorry if I talk about some of the events or facts in the wrong order . It starts with me at the edge of my seat, and with a wet Helen *WOO HOO*, doing something to a few controls inside the sub, as she's doing it, she has that crazy/devious/hot look in her face, then something goes wrong with the oxygen in the room, and she looks at the screen, and she's see that the oxygen levels are dropping fast, and so were a few other things. She tries to open the door, but it's locked, Will was on the other side keeping it locked, she looks at him through the window in the door, and she begs him to open the door, but he doesn't, then she starts to suffocate, and she goes back to the controls to fix the problem but the controls were locked out. She goes back to the window and she begs him again, but he keeps it locked, she suffocates even more and eventually falls to the ground . We get a close-up of her face and she starts taking shorter breathes, THEN we get a close-up of her mouth-- she has nice lips btw , and she takes one final breath, and then we get another close-up of her eyes, and he pupils dilate/get larger-- and she dies , as Will watches . And this is just the beginning .

After the opening credits, we get a shot of the sub, and captions across the screen saying were they are, and that it's 6 hours earlier, in the sub we see that big bolded title "Requiem", as well as Will talking to Helen about all the historical figures she knew, and how she's related to them, she also talks about how hard it was sometimes knowing them and living in the war. They talk about a bit more, and then they got a transmission from Henry, they talk about the mission, and Will talks about how strange it feels being in the Bermuda Triangle, and how it's one of the most mysterious places in the world. Oh Sally, this one's for you , Helen talks about going to see the "Mer folk" and that the Mermaid they have at the Sanctuary told them somethings wrong, and Henry tells them how they named the Mermaid-- you ready for this-- Sally . Contrats hon, you have a Mermaid named after you .

The cut transmission, and Helen and Will go back to talking, this time about the Bermuda Triangle, but Helen tells him it's just ocean. They talk about bit more about each other now, and how they feel about their lives and how Helen can't relate to anyone because she's lived so long and has lost many people she cared about. They arrive at the destination, Will asks Helen in her accent about the "Mer folk" , and something seems wrong, Will looks at a view screen, and he see's something odd, he asks Helen if their at war or something, she says no, and they look through it again and they see a dead Mermaid who's been torn apart just flooding there in the water. Helen who's shocked and what's answers, uses a grappling hook to get the Mermaid inside the sub, on board her and Will do an autopsy, and they come up with a few theories, but Helen finds a strange thick clear liquid but she doesn't know what it is.

Afterwards, Will tells Helen he's going to get some rest, Helen says bye, but when he leaves, she starts getting a headache, and we get a close-up of her hands shaking. A little later after a few little things, Helen's alone in her room, and her nose starts bleeding and then she gets scared, and a little confused, she runs off and goes past Will and he she's her bleeding, and right away she somehow realizes that by ascending, it's causing her pain, tries to take the sub even deeper, as she does, she gets mad at Will and starts getting a little rude . They realize somethings wrong with her, and they start doing some tests, and as they do Helen and Will start talking about how Ashley feels knowing that John is her father, Helen says she's fine, but Will has his doubts, they talk a bit more but Helen gets up and walks away, Will stops her and they argue a bit, but they sort it out and Will gets an idea about what's effecting Helen, they do another test and they find a parasite in her brain They do another autopsy on the Mermaid, and they find that her brain has been destroyed by the parasite, Helen also finds out the reason she has it and not Will is because of that thick clear liquid, Will asks how much more they can deep taking the ship down and Helen said about 2400 something feet, she also told him that as long as they don't share bodily fluids they'll be fine .

In Helen's office, they talk about how sad Helen's been over the years, after losing friends, lovers, etc, and she tells Will she's proud of him and that he's her first real protégé she's had in decades, but then she starts bleeding again, they go back to the control room, and Helen demands they go deeper, but Will says it's too dangerous to take the sub deeper, but she doesn't care, he tries to stop him, but she slams him against a wall, and threatens him, she even takes some of her blood from her nose and tries to put it on him, and as she does, she has a really serious and dangerous look on her face . He agrees to take the sub down, and as he does she feels at ease. Afterwards, when things calm down, Will finds her taking injections to try and stop the parasite, then they talk about what Helen did and she tells him she's scared of what's to happen to her, and she comes clean with him. She tells him that she's lived for a long time, and that if she is going to die, she wants it to be her way, and that she wants Will to do it.

Later when Helen's alone in her room, she see's water leaking from the wall, and she gets this devious look on her face, we then find Will walking around when the sub starts shaking and sparks start flying. Will finds her and they run off to try and fix the problem, in the meantime, the sub keeps sinking, on their way to find the problem, a pipe breaks and they get all wet, they fix that, and make it to the room with the problem, Helen says they need tools, Will goes to find them, but Helen pushes him out of the way, and gets them herself, as she goes toward the problem Will looks around, then BOOM time slows down, and we see Helen with this evil/crazy/devious/insane look on her face like she loves what's happening, but the, as the subs sinking, it stops, Helen looks disappointed, she goes to look outside, and we see the sub lying on a huge rock, keeping it from falling. Will starts talking about what they have and don't have left, then bang, Helen knocks him out with a wrench.

This next scene I thought was amazing- We then find Will tied up to a chair, with Helen doing something near him, and the whole time Helen looks completely unstable, and she asks Will if he can hear what she hears, he says no, and she shouts "Liar, you bloody liar!" Will tries to talk her down, but she's too unstable, she looks at him with an evil look, and mocks Will by making an impression of him by saying "You're just confused, Helen, you're not in your right mind, I can help you, Helen." That was a wicked moment . She asks him if he's trying to probe her, and then she whispers in his ear "I'm not your common criminal", he looks at her scared, and then gets out her gun, and she says, "Maybe I should kill you", but Will's able to talk her down, and then she goes off to a hatch that leads into a room filled with water, she dives in and starts looking for something, as she does that Will's able to get a tool and free himself, he runs over to the hatch, and before he can close it, she pops up and stops him, then she makes him go down under with her. They're able to do what Helen wanted to do, but before they make it back up, Helen pulls off Will's mask, he makes it too the top, and he gets Helen's gun and points it at her. He yells "Fight it Helen, fight it", but she tells him to shoot over and over, he doesn't then she gets the gun, she pulls the trigger, but the bullet case is gone, Helen goes back to the control room, and now we're back to where, when and how the show started, only this time we see what Will's doing outside. After Helen falls to the floor and dies , Will goes in there and tries to revive, but the parasite escapes out of Helen's ear, but Will quickly kills it with nitrogen oxide, he goes back to try and save Helen, but she doesn't respond right away, he keeps begging her not die and not to give up, then he gives her an injection into her heart, that doesn't work, so he goes after another, but before he can inject her, she grab his arm she she thanks him, and they both lie there tired.

In the final scene, we find them together talking about everything that happened, and how they both knew the parasite would leave her body if she was dead, and Will gave her hope by telling her maybe the reason she's been alive for so long is because her work isn't done, and she told him it'll never been done, and that she'll want him to replace her one day, but told her "Today's not that day".

The End.
                  Last edited by Rocky89; 06 December 2008, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Huge amounts of cheering and standing ovations for Requiem!!!!

WOW!!!!!

If this was live theater, the audience appreciation would be overwhelming, deafening.

The best acting I have ever seen from AT and Robin.

FANTASTIC!!!!!

Spoiler:
                    Writing, acting, directing, lighting, props, the creepy sub, vis effects, everything was spot on.

I wrote more in the episode thread, but this episode was something else. The best yet. Possibly the best I have ever seen.

Scifi has no idea how lucky they are to have this team.

Talent out the whazoo, great attitudes, great work ethic.

YAY!!!
                    Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                    Quint Studer

Comment

Spoilers for both tonight's Sanctuary and Atlantis episodes below. Don't open if you haven't seen both:
                      -
                      -
                      -
                      -
                      -
                      -
                      -
                      Spoiler:
                      Tonight we had two episodes about people being trapped in a dangerous situation.

On one show, Atlantis, we learned absolutely nothing new. There was no character development, and all the character interaction was completely predictable, with the one exception of Rodney forced, rather oddly, into being the Daniel-like role of the voice of moral concience. That one moment was the only moment of actual characterization in the entire episode and it was... brief--thrown away without making anything out of it. It was all shooting, monsters, and ship.

What a difference between that, and tonight's episode of Sanctuary! Without losing the element of danger and action, we learned an amazing amount about the characters. Will learned that he is capable of much more than he thought. We saw a completely different side of Helen, and got a lot more insight into her life and feelings. I've been waiting for a script like this from the beginning, one that really let Amanda Tapping and Robin Dunne do what I knew they could, and this one delivered in spades!

Only a couple of nitpicks... I've noticed a tendencey to some rather heavy-handed lines from the writers on Sanctuary. We only got one of these tonight-the one from Will about them being the only family he has ever known. They need to use a smaller stick for things like that. We'll get it even if they don't spell these things out so clearly. Really, we will! I also thought that they probably should have ended it when they were still on the floor of the sub, mainly because it would have been the more dramatic ending, but also because I would have liked to see it end with things still a little shaken up. The epilogue patted every thing back into place a little quickly and didn't really give us anything new in terms of character development.

All in all, a superlative episode. I think these last two have really shown us where Sanctuary is going, and it's a very, very good place.
                      Last edited by amconway; 05 December 2008, 11:40 PM.

Comment

YAY!!!! I finally got the episode in my greedy little hands

*runs off to watch it*

-

Comment

Wow...just...wow! SUCH acting chops. Although,
                          Spoiler:
                          I'm not sure where the discussion of an American accent came from? I heard her slip into a more Cockney English dialect, but never American.

But seriously...
                          Spoiler:
                          Helen...all...*gulp*...wet. And...aggressive....*makes Homer Simpson drooling sounds*
                          Jenni

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeeey!!!!!!! I've seeen it!!!!!!! I love it when Amanda plays different parts of her character because she does it greatly.

Spoiler:
                            I never saw a trace of Helen (or her calm) while she was 'under the influence'. All in all ... AWESOME!!!!! I loved how perfectly crazy she looked when she put a hand on Will's face. That was such a nice touch, and very real.

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
                            Wow...just...wow! SUCH acting chops. Although,
                            Spoiler:
                            I'm not sure where the discussion of an American accent came from? I heard her slip into a more Cockney English dialect, but never American.
                            I agree with you.
                            sigpic
                            Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

This episode definitely gave us a few signs..
                              - although Helen may be immortal, her "deaths" can really channel so much emotion
                              - psycho Helen.. you never saw this coming (could it happen again?)
                              - Will's determination to protect her, and himself (and trying not to succumb to the parasite's need for a host)
                              - Very curious why she gives Will signs of "If I'm not here, could you continue my research?" (there's more to her mission lately, and it makes me wonder if they will ever find more answers)

And a few more bonus thoughts..
                              - does Will have feelings for? (insert thought balloon here)
                              - what was running through Helen's mind during her psychosis with parasite?
                              - Maybe we might meet some of the remnants of the mer-people? (on dry land?)

Comment

Originally posted by kadosho View Post
                                This episode definitely gave us a few signs..
                                - although Helen may be immortal, her "deaths" can really channel so much emotion
                                - psycho Helen.. you never saw this coming (could it happen again?)
                                - Will's determination to protect her, and himself (and trying not to succumb to the parasite's need for a host)
                                - Very curious why she gives Will signs of "If I'm not here, could you continue my research?" (there's more to her mission lately, and it makes me wonder if they will ever find more answers)

And a few more bonus thoughts..
                                - does Will have feelings for? (insert thought balloon here)
                                - what was running through Helen's mind during her psychosis with parasite?
                                - Maybe we might meet some of the remnants of the mer-people? (on dry land?)
                                I caught on that one too. Does she think for some reason that she will die in the near future (which would be in Will's life time). And why not leave her work to Ashly...

As for Will and his feelings I was wondering the same thing, although it comes and goes in a sense that in one ep we see him a little tense with Ashly and in another with Helen... though I'm more inclined to think Will has more of a respectful feeling's towards Helen then anything else.

About what was running through Helen's mind, I couldn't help it to think it brought on some true feelings about her existence.
                                Spoiler:
                                When she says how terrible existence it is (or something like that), and that no body should live (or lives) forever... it's sad and ominous.

Like you said, many questions, and that's part of the charm... waiting for answers.
                                sigpic
                                Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Working...
                                X