Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
    See that stuff I bolded *points up to the bolded rderoch quote up there? That is EXACTLY why his stuff doesn't last. Those damn "middle Americans" would rather watch reality crap, they seem to enjoy watching other people suffer, for money. Greed (sadly) is a big part of what fuels this planet and especially the US.
    I know, it totally sucks.

Luckily, you didn't bold the part with the glaring grammatical error. I went back to edit it wondering if it would carry through to posts in which it was quoted. Nope. Now we know.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
      Been watching this show and it's such an improvement on its "webisode" version
      Hey, nice to "see" you.

I ordered a t-shirt and hoodie today and asked a few questions. First, the 1-800 # is only for North America as we suspected. Second, you should be able to e-mail from anywhere. Not sure what happened in your case F.H.BAGPUSS. They suggested trying again. Also, items ordered, if more than one, should be sent together so there would be only one shipping charge. The only exception would be posters. Due to the shape and the way they are packaged, that would be sent separately. Wasn't thinking at the time to ask more about posters. They are not listed on the website (last time I looked) so I don't know if they are to come or perhaps they were referring to other merchandise they ship.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
        Been watching this show and it's such an improvement on its "webisode" version
        It seems like the webisodes were a good way to "test drive" the show. There are some things I really liked about the webisode Helen, but I certainly like this one too. And I can actually see what's going on, which I often couldn't on my computer. I also like watching from the comfort of my couch.

As for the "middle America" discussion. I think there are plenty of intelligent people out there who would watch more complex, witty shows if the networks gave audiences a chance to find them. One good thing about the growth of cable tv is that there can be a place for shows that might be an acquired taste or are simply in genres not everyone is going to like.

Comment

Okay, just got around to watching "Edward" from last Friday... I would make up an excuse, but I think Kavan Smith and David Hewlett in Burbank counts...

Anywho, I was rolling on the floor when they:
          Spoiler:
          were going through the drawings of the abnormals that were drawn, and the last one was an UNAS.... Just frelling hilarious... It was a great drawing, so great that they used it, but I laughed even harder when they showed it the second time...

Sorry if someone has already said something about this... Just had to throw it in before I went back and caught up all the way....
          sigpic
          awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
            It seems like the webisodes were a good way to "test drive" the show. There are some things I really liked about the webisode Helen, but I certainly like this one too. And I can actually see what's going on, which I often couldn't on my computer. I also like watching from the comfort of my couch.

As for the "middle America" discussion. I think there are plenty of intelligent people out there who would watch more complex, witty shows if the networks gave audiences a chance to find them. One good thing about the growth of cable tv is that there can be a place for shows that might be an acquired taste or are simply in genres not everyone is going to like.
            Long gone are the days of early SG1 where they started off with a guarantee of 44 shows. If they had only shown the first few, as is now often the case, it would have never found a sufficient audience (including me) to keep it going so long.

By the way, did anyone notice the grenades hanging on Henry's self unit in Edward?

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              By the way, did anyone notice the grenades hanging on Henry's self unit in Edward?
              Yup. I've been thinking for a while that they're toys, but considering he has swords and guns in his room, I now think they're real.

Scary.

Comment

The problem is that ALL networks - including cable networks - use the antiquated Nielson Ratings system to gauge who's watching what. The problem there is that those "damn middle Americans" are seemingly the ONLY folks Nielson gives their boxes and forms to (yes folks, people are still using PAPER to tick off boxes of shows they watch) fill out.

What the execs at networks and production houses need to do is:
                1 - abolish the Nielson ratings system
                2 - count all info coming from Tivo's and DVR's, cable company boxes
                3 - count all info coming from their own websites that folks are watching their shows on.
                4 - count all info coming from VeohTV & Hulu that folks are watching shows on.

But no....they still think that using Nielson Ratings is the way to go. It does not take into account the thousands of folks who tape/DVR shows and watch them later, or GROUPS who gather to watch shows together.
                sigpic
                I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                  i'm hoping for that too!

and amanda could come to my house and watch the eps with me, adding more commentary... hmm, i'll have to ask the fat-chance fairies about that
                  LOL. *books flight*

In case anyone cares, I made another Sanctuary related icon:
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eart-Henry.gif
                  Thank you. I HEART Henry (No JanSam, he is STILL MINE! ALL MINE! BWAHAHAHAHA*cough*HAHAHAHAHA! ) a lot.
                  *growls and challenges ye to a duel*

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  taken from a review on the review thread...this struck me
                  I whole-heartedly agree. Sanctuary stands on its own merits. Aside from the obvious sexiness of Magnus, the show is about the stories...and the people...not her looks.

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
                  - Character t-shirts (Bigfoot = bought)
                  - Fancy key chains
                  - Insanely large posters..... fine, you're average sized large posters.
                  - Concept art pictures/book
                  YEAH!

Yup. I've been thinking for a while that they're toys, but considering he has swords and guns in his room, I now think they're real.
                  Well, they're linked like a keychain of sorts...
                  Jenni

Comment

Hey, nice to "see" you.

I ordered a t-shirt and hoodie today and asked a few questions. First, the 1-800 # is only for North America as we suspected. Second, you should be able to e-mail from anywhere. Not sure what happened in your case F.H.BAGPUSS. They suggested trying again. Also, items ordered, if more than one, should be sent together so there would be only one shipping charge. The only exception would be posters. Due to the shape and the way they are packaged, that would be sent separately. Wasn't thinking at the time to ask more about posters. They are not listed on the website (last time I looked) so I don't know if they are to come or perhaps they were referring to other merchandise they ship.
                    Hopefully, the poster comment was a sign of things to come! I need more. I still have some wall showing.

Long gone are the days of early SG1 where they started off with a guarantee of 44 shows. If they had only shown the first few, as is now often the case, it would have never found a sufficient audience (including me) to keep it going so long.

Notice many of the new hits shows are on cable channels and not the major networks. All are well written, well acted shows - Burn Notice, Saving Grace, Sex and the City, The Sopranos, Dexter, Damages, etc. None of them talk down to the audience, they are not bits of fluff. You'd think the networks would get a clue.

They also seem to have very short memories. Just a sampling of shows that had poor ratings their first year, yet found an audience through word of mouth:
                    X-Files (the SECOND longest running sci-fi show thanks to SG)
                    Cheers (on the air for 11 years)
                    MASH (on the air for 11 years and the largest viewing audience ever for a series finale)
                    Just imagine if they had ripped them off the air after half a season because the ratings weren't high enough. All of them were award winning hit shows popular with critics and audiences alike.

You would think they would give quality shows a chance before yanking them off the air. I know I would never have watched Lost if I hadn't overheard some people at work talking about it. I thought it was some kind of dramatized Survivor type show. Then I heard them talking about invisible monsters, purgatory, and polar bears. With my interest piqued, I jumped on the web and read the synopses for the first 4 episodes and tuned in that night. I haven't missed an episode since.
                    Last edited by rderoch; 25 November 2008, 07:48 PM.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                      Try waiting two weeks for more Sanctuary. Darn holiday.
                      Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                      I'm the same chelle its hard waiting those 7 days.
                      Julia(samcarterrules)
                      Don't remind me! ...I only realised that last night when RoX posted it in the Samanda thread...I'm so not a happy camper!! Two weeks to wait for my nest Sanctuary fix...whats the world coming to FCOL!!!
                      *uses her super secret super powers to take Henry away from Chell and stashes him in her super secret lair where no one can find them...
                      You won't have to tell the hubby anything Chell, Henry is MINE! and you'll NEVER find him.
                      *coughs*...I don't think so!!! I bought him on eBay so he's mine!!!
                      Posters??? That would be totally wicked if they had posters!
                      I should probably mention to those who will be having their goods shipped out to overseas countries...it took three months for both my t shirts to arrive. I'm not saying that that is the case with all the packages but it happened to both my orders. But if they have posters then I need to get online and get me one!!
                      Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                      Notice many of the new hits shows are on cable channels and not the major networks. All are well written, well acted shows - Burn Notice, Saving Grace, Sex and the City, The Sopranos, Dexter, Damages, etc. None of them talk down to the audience, they are not bits of fluff. You'd think the networks would get a clue.
                      They also seem to have very short memories. Just a sampling of shows that had poor ratings their first year, yet found an audience through word of mouth:
                      X-Files (the SECOND longest running sci-fi show thanks to SG)
                      Cheers (on the air for 11 years)
                      MASH (on the air for 11 years and the largest viewing audience ever for a series finale)
                      Just imagine if they had ripped them off the air after half a season because the ratings weren't high enough. All of them were award winning hit shows popular with critics and audiences alike.
                      You would think they would give quality shows a chance before yanking them off the air. I know I would never have watched Lost if I hadn't overheard some people at work talking about it. I thought it was some kind of dramatized Survivor type show. Then I heard them talking about invisible monsters, purgatory, and polar bears. With my interest piqued, I jumped on the web and read the synopses for the first 4 episodes and tuned in that night. I haven't missed an episode since.
                      Well said! I only hope that Sanctuary is given a fair go and the room to improve...not that it really needs to improve...but to prove that its worth staying on air for a long long time!
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

you do get very frustrated with the networks' impatience with shows. If it's not a massive 'hit' within 3 episodes, they yank it. I'm like folks, i have 200+ channels, it sometimes takes me 3 weeks to figure out that a show is even on.

I think cable shows, like deadliest catch, dexter, tudors, etc, have the patience to wait for an audience to develop. I know that i'll get my new dose of 'crack' once a year....march for DC, Dexter is on right now, tudors will start after the first of the year....and i wait for it. I will thoroughly enjoy my 12 hours of dexter and then file it away to rewatch later. Heck, i like dexter so much that, when i missed the s2 premiere in re-runs, i tracked down and BOUGHT the boxed set to see it.

I haven't and likely won't buy Deadliest Catch, but it'll be on my 'must see' every tuesday once its season starts.

IMHO, your average broadcast network exec is severly challenged in the intelligence dept....because they want nothing more than an instant hit, and they want it now!!!!

oh, and at the same time, we're not supposed to mind when they only really care about ratings during sweeps and we're supposed to remain loyal to a show when they put it on hiatus for 9 months
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
                          Well, they're linked like a keychain of sorts...
                          Oh, okay. I just noticed that. That's actually kinda scary. One random shaking of the house, and...

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post

I whole-heartedly agree. Sanctuary stands on its own merits. Aside from the obvious sexiness of Magnus, the show is about the stories...and the people...not her looks.
                            True, it just *is*--it's not played up in a salacious way.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post

*coughs*...I don't think so!!! I bought him on eBay so he's mine!!!

You just think you bought him on eBay. That was all part of my clever plan. What you purchased on eBay was a CLONE of Henry. I however have the real deal and I am not sharing him. I will make clones for a select few though. You will have to give me time since I have to work out a deal with Helen. Gotta keep her on my good side you know.
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Oh, okay. I just noticed that. That's actually kinda scary. One random shaking of the house, and...

Hopefully they're inert and just kind of "trophies". Did anyone see if the pins were still in them? But Henry is the weapons and tech expert, so I trust him...I guess. lol

mfw

Comment

Working...
                                X