Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
    Yeah, it's a concern of mine, too. I hope they strike a balance between catering to the minigeeks, oobers, and Myrths of the world and the not-so-computer savvy people like you and me, tagger. If it gets too complicated, they'll scare a certain percentage of people away.
    Well, as Damian alluded to in the interview with Myrth and Uber, they do also have some distribution interest already. I think they are looking at multiple methods of delivery for the series. I had the opportunity to talk a little with Amanda about this the other week during TVM, but I didn't post anything since I don't want to say anything which could be detrimental to anything they have going on there from a business point of view. So I won't mention the actual content of the conversation or mention names, etc., but it really sounds (to me) like they have a solid forward-thinking plan for delivering the series to as global an audience as possible, and they're being so progressive about it. Their mentality is so collaborative, it sounds like they don't want to limit that. In my personal opinion, they've got incredible vision therein. I was a bit of a skeptic when I entered into that conversation, from a professional point of view. I will admit to that, and I told Amanda as much at the time. But I came away from our chat a total convert. I cannot imagine the series does anything but fly once it takes off. I think it's going to be huge. I'm in awe, really.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

I think you're right Mini. In talking to Damian that was certainly the sense I got. At the moment they're talking alot about the tech because it's a huge point of difference, but Damian himself said... if it's not a good story it really doesn't matter how it's delivered. So I really think a. they're totally listening to what the fanbase are saying and taking things on board and b. Sanctuary will have as much focus on good story telling as it will on the new methods being employed to deliver it.

I think we're all going to be happy.. geeks and non-geeks alike
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
        Well, as Damian alluded to in the interview with Myrth and Uber, they do also have some distribution interest already. I think they are looking at multiple methods of delivery for the series. I had the opportunity to talk a little with Amanda about this the other week during TVM, but I didn't post anything since I don't want to say anything which could be detrimental to anything they have going on there from a business point of view. So I won't mention the actual content of the conversation or mention names, etc., but it really sounds (to me) like they have a solid forward-thinking plan for delivering the series to as global an audience as possible, and they're being so progressive about it. Their mentality is so collaborative, it sounds like they don't want to limit that. In my personal opinion, they've got incredible vision therein. I was a bit of a skeptic when I entered into that conversation, from a professional point of view. I will admit to that, and I told Amanda as much at the time. But I came away from our chat a total convert. I cannot imagine the series does anything but fly once it takes off. I think it's going to be huge. I'm in awe, really.
        Name dropper.

I agree that they have incredible vision, and I think they are taking the right steps to enable it to be a huge success. But I don't think there are any guarantees... too many variables. You know, we're obviously extremely supportive as rabid AT fans (at least, originally), but it won't be a "huge" success until they're turning a profit somehow, and I think that means an extensive fan base.

I've been pimping it to all my real-life sci-fi fan friends, and the response is generally, "oh that sounds cool," but it remains to be seen if they'll actually go to the site to watch the episodes, much less pay for them down the road.

Hmmmm... hope I don't sound like a downer. Just trying to be realistic, I suppose.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth View Post
          I think you're right Mini. In talking to Damian that was certainly the sense I got. At the moment they're talking alot about the tech because it's a huge point of difference, but Damian himself said... if it's not a good story it really doesn't matter how it's delivered. So I really think a. they're totally listening to what the fanbase are saying and taking things on board and b. Sanctuary will have as much focus on good story telling as it will on the new methods being employed to deliver it.

I think we're all going to be happy.. geeks and non-geeks alike
          You, oobs, and Shelley did great on the interview, Myrth. What god-awful time of day did you have to be up for this one?

My LJ

Comment

Lol actually Damian was very kind and he and Shelley copped the brunt of the time difference.

And you are right Strix, but my gut is telling me this is gonna work. Our focus at the moment really needs to be on spreading the word, online, offline and otherwise. That's part of the fun for me, let's see how much power we truly have as a fan base

I've been pondering putting together a launch party for it at a local internet gaming cafe here. Book the place, put on some snacks and invite 100 of my closest of sci-fi friends who will pass it on their friends and so on. I plan to put a how to up on the site so other people can do it too. Would be awesome if we did a world wide co-ordinated event in a few different countries and linked em up via webcam. What do you guys think?

You, oobs, and Shelley did great on the interview, Myrth. What god-awful time of day did you have to be up for this one?
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it's a concern of mine, too. I hope they strike a balance between catering to the minigeeks, oobers, and Myrths of the world and the not-so-computer savvy people like you and me, tagger. If it gets too complicated, they'll scare a certain percentage of people away. While sci-fi fans in general are probably a lot more tech smart than the average population, you can see from the boards here at GW that there are still a lot of people who would probably watch the show, but aren't necessarily up-to-date on the latest stuff.

I think they have to generate excitement by being cutting edge; it's absolutely necessary for their success; but I also hope that they'll make it very accessible to idiots like myself who require clear instructions for even simple things and don't always have the latest hardware and software installed on their computers. You know, my home computer is easily 10+ years old, and I haven't done many upgrades.

I think it would be very easy to get caught up in the geeky joy of it all and forget that there are other people out there who just want to watch a good, innovative show. Although "show" almost sounds like a misnomer now. It's going to be more of an "experience," I think. The Sanctuary experience.

Does that make us early Sanctuarians, do you suppose?
              I second that, Strix.

Comment

Hey, cool, that be my youtube video they syndicated. I feel speeeeshall.
                Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but that little clip you put up on youtube yesterday and Darren snurched for his cover story? Well it's had over 4,000 views today and has been given the following honors...

Honors for This Video:
                #90 - Most Viewed (Today) - Entertainment - All
                #76 - Most Linked (Today) - All
                #18 - Most Linked (Today) - Entertainment - All

Not too shabby, seeing as we are talking about a show that hasn't even aired it's first episode yet. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be taking notice in the days/weeks ahead.

Kat

Comment

Are those Gateworld or YouTube stats Kat?

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                  Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but that little clip you put up on youtube yesterday and Darren snurched for his cover story? Well it's had over 4,000 views today and has been given the following honors...

Honors for This Video:

Not too shabby, seeing as we are talking about a show that hasn't even aired it's first episode yet. I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be taking notice in the days/weeks ahead.

Kat
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet View Post
                    Is there gonna be a way to watch this show on a tv instead of a computer monitor? I know you can't if you download from Itunes...but maybe something you can downlod from the website?
                    Yep, Damian has said that they are not fans of DRM (me either) and that they want to provide Sanctuary in high quality and then you choose where and how you port it to your chosen interface. So you can watch it on your computer or burn it to disc and play on your DVD player. Or in my case I extended my home computer network and built a dedicated player that plugs straight into my sound system and widescreen TV - so straight from the net to the big screen

Yeah, it's a concern of mine, too. I hope they strike a balance between catering to the minigeeks, oobers, and Myrths of the world and the not-so-computer savvy people like you and me, tagger. If it gets too complicated, they'll scare a certain percentage of people away. While sci-fi fans in general are probably a lot more tech smart than the average population, you can see from the boards here at GW that there are still a lot of people who would probably watch the show, but aren't necessarily up-to-date on the latest stuff.

I think they have to generate excitement by being cutting edge; it's absolutely necessary for their success; but I also hope that they'll make it very accessible to idiots like myself who require clear instructions for even simple things and don't always have the latest hardware and software installed on their computers. You know, my home computer is easily 10+ years old, and I haven't done many upgrades.

I think it would be very easy to get caught up in the geeky joy of it all and forget that there are other people out there who just want to watch a good, innovative show. Although "show" almost sounds like a misnomer now. It's going to be more of an "experience," I think. The Sanctuary experience.

Does that make us early Sanctuarians, do you suppose?
                    I don't think you need to worry, there's going to be lots of people to help out the not so tech savvy peeps. Once we get a better idea of the distribution network I know I'll be willing to help anyone overcome any operational difficulties and I know quite a few other people here will too.

I like that expression "The Sanctuary Experience" it fits with Damian & Co's immersive concept, it is much, much more than just a show.

Lol actually Damian was very kind and he and Shelley copped the brunt of the time difference.

And you are right Strix, but my gut is telling me this is gonna work. Our focus at the moment really needs to be on spreading the word, online, offline and otherwise. That's part of the fun for me, let's see how much power we truly have as a fan base

I've been pondering putting together a launch party for it at a local internet gaming cafe here. Book the place, put on some snacks and invite 100 of my closest of sci-fi friends who will pass it on their friends and so on. I plan to put a how to up on the site so other people can do it too. Would be awesome if we did a world wide co-ordinated event in a few different countries and linked em up via webcam. What do you guys think?

First off, great job with the interview over at Sanctuaryfans.com. You all did a great job.

That idea of a launch party is really good. I've been talking with my cousins (well IMing) and we were considering having an online launch party for family and friends. My family is pretty much spread all over the country and the world so most of us utilise the net to keep in regular touch. So far I have tentatively lined up 2 cousins, 1 nephew and 3 friends
                    -

Comment

Are those Gateworld or YouTube stats Kat?

Youtube stats. If you go to the video there is a button called Honors.

Comment

COOL. My first ever video posted to youtube, too. Way to ring in a new account - I feel like, a proud cyber-parent.

Honors for This Video:

Kat

Comment

Name dropper. .
                          Ohhhh shaddap. TVM was three weeks ago and this is the first time I've said a word. And I needed the name to make my point, you meanie!

Comment

Ohhhh shaddap. TVM was three weeks ago and this is the first time I've said a word. And I needed the name to make my point, you meanie!
                            LOL!

Yeah I guess we can't really say she's dropping names until she says stuff like...

'Oh, last week while I was having tea with Amanda...',

OR

'During my visit to B.C, I hooked up with Amanda and she gave me a tour of the area, including an awesome little place to go hiking with the kiddies and the view was spectacular!!'

Comment

'During my visit to B.C, I hooked up with Amanda

... and she gave me a tour of the area, including an awesome little place to go hiking with the kiddies and the view was spectacular!!'
                              Speaking of kiddies, mine have just eviscerated their stuffed starfish and are now sharing in the spongy cotton glory of its innards ... all over my couch... must go moderate their levity.

geek(whose kiddies are four-legged, and furry)
                              Last edited by minigeek; 15 March 2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

COOL. My first ever video posted to youtube, too. Way to ring in a new account - I feel like, a proud cyber-parent.
                                I've seen it linked to a couple of different LJs (including my own).

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X