Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
    You'll still watch it on TV to help it's ratings too right?
    Dude, not only am I recording it, but I'm going to watch the 15 reruns that SciFi is going to have (except for that one at 3 in the morning... ).

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      Question for those who saw the sneak peek - is it a continuous piece (like the first 30 mins) or is it various segments?

*iz not going to press Melora's spoiler button*
      It's a continuous 33 something minutes, but some of the beginning has been cut for obvious story reasons.

Also, the "behind the scenes" stuff that SciFi had been advertising were indeed just clips from the video already on the site.

Comment

Question for those who saw the sneak peek - is it a continuous piece (like the first 30 mins) or is it various segments?

<<Laughs mockingly at RoX>>

<<Doesn't press spoiler button, but does go to website>>

suse
        grin, duck, run like NETU
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.
        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
          Dude, not only am I recording it,

but I'm going to watch the 15 reruns that SciFi is going to have
          Can you do that for all the episodes?

(except for that one at 3 in the morning... ).
          Falcon, for Amanda I'd stay up with a pot of coffee and watch, if not... you know what I'd do? , if I couldn't watch the episodes, I'll at least have the TV on that channel and leave it on to help it's ratings .

Comment

Falcon, for Amanda I'd stay up with a pot of coffee and watch, if not... you know what I'd do? , if I couldn't watch the episodes, I'll at least have the TV on that channel and leave it on to help it's ratings .
            Well, I have to go to school. But if it were the summer, oh yeah, I'd totally be up. Heck, I'm sure I'm going to do that with the dvd anyway.

As for the reruns, I was over exaggerating by like, double, but usually new episodes of anything are repeated two hours later, and before the new episode the next week. This is being repeated a lot probably because it's a premier.

Comment

Well, I have to go to school. But if it were the summer, oh yeah, I'd totally be up. Heck, I'm sure I'm going to do that with the dvd anyway.

As for the reruns, I was over exaggerating by like, double, but usually new episodes of anything are repeated two hours later, and before the new episode the next week. This is being repeated a lot probably because it's a premier.
              Oh, but watch them anyway .

Comment

Oh yeah, totally. I over exaggerated about how many, not me watching them ALL.

Comment

I am impressed with your self-discipline.

Really, the general spoilers I wrote don't give anything away. It is just my general opinion on what I saw in the preview. I added another spoiler tab for the more specific comments to be on the safe side, but even those comments don't give away any big plot points or specifics about the episode. I just didn't want to upset anyone avoiding all spoilers.

Like Falcon said, it is a continuous 33-34 minutes. I think it was taken from the first hour of the pilot, but it does not start at the very beginning of the episode. Most of the scenes are the ones that were in the webisodes, but they are definitely reworked with added/changed dialogue, different CGI, costumes, etc. There were only a couple of completely new scenes that weren't in the webisodes.

Comment

That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen...
                    Spoiler:
                    I *SQUEELED* like a girl when that EM field kicked in.

Loved Helen's line about being cold being open for debate.

Think I'm gonna like this!

suse
                    caved
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

This may have been answered already, but it's a continuous 30 minutes, though it doesn't start at the beginning.

Originally posted by suse View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      I *SQUEELED* like a girl when that EM field kicked in.

Loved Helen's line about being cold being open for debate.

Think I'm gonna like this!

suse
                      caved
                      Spoiler:
                      I loved the EM field part! In fact I loved alllllll of it!!

This is so dang cool! The show is gonna do great! Amanda looks gorgeous, Will looks great and I love Ashley's snarkiness. It's like the webisodes were a really good trial run, and now they've got it down pat. Too bad the
                      Spoiler:
                      mermaid looked so fake!
                      sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                      Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        i think i'd call it more or closer more to fantasy than scifi. largely due to the monsters aspect and the - i'm gonna think - near magical aspext.

It all depends on your def of scifi. does scifi mean there has to be space ships and ray guns and aliens? Does it mean 'has to be off world stuff and out in space?' or can scifi just be stories based on fiction based on science? (as in science fiction?)

But i think with - as we've seen - vampires and monsters and witches, it's a skewed a bit more fantasy than scifi. I'm not thinking that there'll be as much technobabble and more a focus on the human drama - or abnormal drama
                        X-Files had lots of monsters, ghosties and other mystical aspects, but it was still considered scifi.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        If you think about it, the industry normally groups the genres together, Sci-fi/ fantasy when they categorize shows. So even if it doesn't fit Sci-fi specifically it fits the group.

AT herself said it was more of a graphic novel type show, and looking at these types of shows, I believe the newer Batman movies also fit in this genre and seem to do well

So I have nothing but high hopes for Sanctuay, it seems to be in good company
                        I've always considered fantasy a subset of scifi.

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                        I took a Scifi/Fantasy lit class a couple of years ago where we spent a while on this subject. My rather simplistic take on it is that science-fiction attempts to explain things using science or pseudo-science, while fantasy explains things more as magic or something as mystical. I'm thinking Sanctuary will be a sort of mix of the two.
                        I think your simplistic take, nails it. And there will definitely be a mix of the two genres, seeing as she is a doctor. She'll be a cross between Mulder and Scully. A believer that approaches the beings they encounter with science.

Of course I did!
                        I'm downloading as we speak.

You'll still watch it on TV to help it's ratings too right?
                        Of course! Having a premiere party, complete with scones.

Dude, not only am I recording it, but I'm going to watch the 15 reruns that SciFi is going to have (except for that one at 3 in the morning... ).
                        I'll watch the 3:00 one too.
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                        Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                          It looks as if I am not the only one who couldn't wait until next week.

<-- This is what I look like right now (although not quite as green )

Generalized spoilers followed by slightly more specific ones:
                          Spoiler:
                          I was a bit skeptical about whether I would like the changes to the show. After watching the sneak preview, I have a feeling that I am going to love the TV version even more than the webisodes. It was really, really good IMO. I liked the new costumes, music, dialogue. It really seems richer in terms of story and character development. And I love how AT is playing Helen now (not that I didn't before but...). She still has the same spunkiness, but there is a real soulfulness to her performance in the sneak preview. Same with Robin and the way he is playing Will now - there is just more depth in the performances.

Specific spoilers for Episode 1:
                          Spoiler:
                          Amanda and Robin were so good in that last scene on the parapet. The only thing I didn't like as much in the preview was the CGI. I actually thought the creatures and Alexei's apendage looked more realistic in the webisodes. But it might just be my computer screen and the fact that it was a streaming video. The other CGI (buildings, rooms, etc.) looked really good.
                          I couldn't wait either.

Spoiler:
                          I thought it was great as well, everything just seemed richer. I really agree about the soulfulness of AT's performance as Helen. She still has that edge and wit but it was layered with more depth and meaning. That final scene with Will was great, though it seemed a bit strange for Helen to already be calling him Will instead of Dr. Zimmerman. Loved the cold being debatable line. The extra warmth and concern between Helen and Ashley was also nice to see, and I loved Druitt and the EM field. Robin was also great as Will, I love that we're getting a more complex back story to the character.

Only one more week!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks to everyone who replied (sans suse )

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            <<Laughs mockingly at RoX>>

<<Doesn't press spoiler button, but does go to website>>

suse
                            grin, duck, run like NETU
                            Off ya go; runz away really fast, runz lots and lots but I ain't chasing

Lets suse in on a secret - one of my favourite sayings iz :
                            "Revenge is a dish best served cold...
                            and when least expected"

*insert evil chuckle*

-

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                              I couldn't wait either.

Spoiler:
                              I thought it was great as well, everything just seemed richer. I really agree about the soulfulness of AT's performance as Helen. She still has that edge and wit but it was layered with more depth and meaning. That final scene with Will was great, though it seemed a bit strange for Helen to already be calling him Will instead of Dr. Zimmerman. Loved the cold being debatable line. The extra warmth and concern between Helen and Ashley was also nice to see, and I loved Druitt and the EM field. Robin was also great as Will, I love that we're getting a more complex back story to the character.

Only one more week!
                              Spoiler:
                              Oh yeah, I loved how they added that Will's mother died by an abnormal. Well, not that she died but... well, you know what I mean. I wonder if he still ever met Big Foot, as he's still scared in the same way he was in the webisodes.

Comment

WOAH!

"W: Do you think that sci-fi is going to, or is willing to, do anything like NBC's streaming of episodes with limited commercials?

AT: Yes! They will! [Note: Sci-Fi has not confirmed this]

W: Do you know any type of timeline?

AT: No, that would need to be a Sci-Fi question. It makes absolute sense to do it. I think Sci-Fi.com has already started to discuss the idea of streaming. And it is certainly part of our digital platform when we broadcast and to figure out how to make that work. It just makes so much sense to try to put together a show where you have limited commercials if you are able to. They do it in other countries around the world already, so it makes sense. That is definitely a network question that I can't answer to, but if I had my druthers? Yeah, absolutely."

http://www.whedonopolis.com/articles...view-2008.html

Comment

Working...
                                X