Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
    For those of you who missed the scifitalk interview, it was very good, done by a guy who really knows his stuff.

Some interesting little bits

Spoiler:
    PdL *will* be back as Ernie

Amanda discussed Helen's pain at bringing Ashley into the world when she knows she will outlive her daughter.

They discussed using RED camera technology and how it makes a better quality picture even for analogue TV sets.

And Amanda has suggested doing an in character interview with them as Helen Magnus! And potentially Robin as Will as well. How cool will that be?

The guy just asked us for questions, but we're struggling.
    Yeah I thought the part in the SciFi Talk where
    Spoiler:
    Amanda talked about the emotions Helen had in deciding to bring Ashley to term was very nice and I hope we are able to see Helen make that decision on screen. I also liked the part where she said that Ashley is probably the one that could hurt Helen the most. I think it just goes to show how strong their bond is. I can't imagine watching your child age and you don't... knowing you're going to out live your child.

I'm looking forward to more interaction between Ashley and Helen. Oh and the Amanda as Helen and Robin as Will interview sounds awesome!

I like the flashbacks... but I'm kinda glad they are scattering them through out the season and not having them all in the 2 hour pilot. I think if the new fans have no idea where Helen lived 130 years ago until later maybe there will be less of a accent debate? LOL who knows.

We don't know where the New and Old City is today but I'm 100% sure it's not in the UK. Will, Henry, Ashley, Hospital staff, Police, The old guy that was Helen's partner I forget his name none of them had a British accent. I think the only one that should sound as if they are from London is John... for him it's still the 1800's London. In Modern day I can see why Helen's accent is more eclectic, especially if they show all the cities where Helen started different Sanctuaries. Which Damian said they wanted to do in an early interview... I hope they were able to do that in this season

I look forward to more interviews with the SciFi Talk guy

Comment

Ok, here's the deal.

Having recently gotten into Hellboy (I picked up the DVD cheap), I've got the bare bones of a Hellboy/Sanctuary story rattling around in my skull.

It'd work, cos Helen and the guys at the BPRD (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence) are pretty much in the same line of business.

As Prof. Broom said in the Hellboy movie: "There are things that go bump in the night, Agent Myers. Make no mistake about that. And we are the ones who bump back."
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
        This interview is now for available for download
        Thanks marjana
        For those of you who missed the scifitalk interview, it was very good, done by a guy who really knows his stuff.

Spoiler:

Amanda discussed Helen's pain at bringing Ashley into the world when she knows she will outlive her daughter.

They discussed using RED camera technology and how it makes a better quality picture even for analogue TV sets.

And Amanda has suggested doing an in character interview with them as Helen Magnus! And potentially Robin as Will as well. How cool will that be?

Spoiler:

Doing interviews in character would be soooo cool! I hope they are able to do it, it would be really interesting and fun!

Julia(samcarterrules)
        sigpic
        Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Wow those interviews make me even more optimistic about how the show will go. Character stuff is my thing--effects are secondary.

Comment

Sanctuary - SciFi Magazine October 2008 Issue:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....51&postcount=1

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
            SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
            Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              I hope i'm wrong about the site and scifi isn't being pushy. ..........

...Some handle it well. Such as Kate and the rdanderson site. She protects her contact and respects rick, but never lords it over others.
              Re: the first part, I don't think SciFi will have any say over the site since S3M still has executive control of the show. It's not be corporately run like SG-1 and SGA.

About the latter...I shall remain mute. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all.

Thumper taught me that. Smart bunny.
              Jenni

Comment

As for suse.... why are you using the word rabid and waving at me? *raises eyebrows menacingly*
                <<points at TJ's eyebrows and laughs uncontrollably>>

Loved the interview. Is this the same interview bit with Damian that was released last week?

ETA: I can't tell. Some stuff seems very familiar then I get new stuff. Maybe I wasn't paying attention before.

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Why put a FOX show on the cover instead of Sanctuary?

Comment

A reminder:

At Blog Talk Radio: SciFi Talk Live:

UPCOMING SHOW: 8/18/2008 7:00 PM

Sci-Fi Talk Live

Episode Thirteen - Sanctuary Special - Damian Kindler

Show Length 30 Minutes

Show Description

A look at the new Sci-Fi Channel ground breaking series with its creator, Damian Kindler plus comments from the cast, Amanda Tapping, Robin Dunne and Emille Ullerup and its ace director, Martin Wood.

Call-in Number: (718) 664-9884

Sci-Fi Talk Live is a talk show on sci-fi, horror and fantasy movies and TV. Listeners are urged to participate in chat room and calling in. Visit http://www.scifitalk.com
                    Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    I'm very excited for this show to get started already. I can't wait to see it on TV.
                    Well, I just listened to the interview, mainly to hear Amanda of course , and I liked a lot of what I heard , even though she only spoke for a short time. I'm really looking forward to this show even more now . I just hope I can see it on TV enough to help it's ratings .

The link doesn't work .

Spoiler:

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                    Yeah I thought the part in the SciFi Talk where
                    Spoiler:
                    Amanda talked about the emotions Helen had in deciding to bring Ashley to term was very nice and I hope we are able to see Helen make that decision on screen. I also liked the part where she said that Ashley is probably the one that could hurt Helen the most. I think it just goes to show how strong their bond is. I can't imagine watching your child age and you don't... knowing you're going to out live your child.

I'm looking forward to more interaction between Ashley and Helen. Oh and the Amanda as Helen and Robin as Will interview sounds awesome!

I like the flashbacks... but I'm kinda glad they are scattering them through out the season and not having them all in the 2 hour pilot. I think if the new fans have no idea where Helen lived 130 years ago until later maybe there will be less of a accent debate? LOL who knows.

We don't know where the New and Old City is today but I'm 100% sure it's not in the UK. Will, Henry, Ashley, Hospital staff, Police, The old guy that was Helen's partner I forget his name none of them had a British accent. I think the only one that should sound as if they are from London is John... for him it's still the 1800's London. In Modern day I can see why Helen's accent is more eclectic, especially if they show all the cities where Helen started different Sanctuaries. Which Damian said they wanted to do in an early interview... I hope they were able to do that in this season

I look forward to more interviews with the SciFi Talk guy
                    I agree with you both
                    Spoiler:
                    I've never heard Amanda talk about that before, and I actually never thought about that either, considering I'm always thinking about Amanda/Sam . But yeah, poor Helen, she wanted a kid so she wouldn't have to be alone, yet at the same time she knew she'd probably outlive her daughter , and the fathers a seriel killer. I agree Ann I hope we see some of those emotions in the show, and I also agree how hard it'd be watching your child age, and eventually dying before the parent

I can see the conflict in the Magnus character, and I like characters like that, characters with hurt, pain and conflict about who they are, and I think I'll like that a lot about Helen, plus since she's played by Amanda .

Apparently Damian has just finished the last script of the season. And another update says that...

Spoiler:
                    Henry is gearing up to go on the hunt (ep 10, I believe)

They're doing a week of night shoots this week
                    Oh cool, I can't wait to see, my it'll also be a 2 hour.

Oh that is cool, I'm so buying that, thanks .

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                      The link doesn't work .
                      Yes, it does work.

You are clicking on "save link as" and saving the file to your computer right?

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Actually, I think he does the Facebook thing more for personal updating his friends and stuff. I think the days of "Fan come first" may be long gone. Actually, no, I don't think that's fair. But I do think that they have higher priorities at the moment. Damian updates his Facebook status just because it's something he does in the five minutes he's checking up on what his friends are doing.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the whole sfa.com is down, Damian and the Insider blogs have long since disappeared and the forum is now the fan forum and no longer the official forum. The latter makes no real difference, seeing as the same people still play there, more or less, but I'm just pointing out that there is a lot less involvement from TPTB these days.

I get the impression that since they got the greenlight, things have moved pretty quickly and they've been under a lot of pressure. I mean, compare this to Doctor Who - Moffat is already doing the story arcs and things for the 2010 series. So I think there's a lot of pressure there.

Meh, I'm all out of excuses. All I'm saying is that they don't really have a "general forum" to post on anymore and, at the end of the day, Facebook is more his personal thing. Back when it was less "us and them", he did add loads of fans. But I think priorities have changed.
                        I guess what I was worried about was being forced to join Facebook to get show info. At one point, a behind the scenes video was only going to be shown on the Sanctuary Facebook site until people asked for it to be shown on the generally available Sanctuary site.

Fan involvement/ interraction - gone for now. Is it necessary? No. Is it nice? Yes. Fan involvement was one of the basic ideas S3M had when they started. Not trying to beat a dead horse here. I do understand they are busy!

I want the show to continue for years, so I agree, I hope they put all their energy into making episodes that will completely floor the old and new viewers!

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                        The facebook status is one sentence. It's take a lot less time than keeping up with a blog.

I am just saying.
                        Which is why I suggested that the same sentence be copied and pasted to a general forum.

I don't want to be forced to join Facebook.

But, I forgot the main Sanctuary site was down.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        we also have to remember, scifi is calling the shots now. and i'm sure they would much rather have the 'official' forum be theirs, not another's.

my personal and totally unfounded opinion is, the only thing that kept scifi from shutting GW down once they took over the show is that it was too well established adn would have caused too much bad press.

a smaller, fledgling, forum. couple network pressure (which may/may not exist) with a very busy schedule...i mean seriously, 13 episodes written since when? may????? not to mention taping and editing and all that

they got their hands full

and yes, i do think the 'hey look, you're our fans' days are over. Not out of meanness, just out of sheer necessity of time and possible network pressure.

honestly? after all the kerfluffle i've seen with the stargate fandom since a certain exec producer started to play online, i'd rather they keep their distance. Keep that 'sense of fan entitlement' under control a bit
                        Yes, fan entitlement is uncalled for.

But, for me, little blurbs from the production team increase my excitement for upcoming episodes. For instance, all the behind the scenes stuff on shooting Continuum in the Arctic, the excitement MW and AT had about being up there made me enjoy and look forward to Continuum even more.

And actually, I think we've seen a great deal of that in the Sanctuary fandom. I have a feeling that it's one of the reasons (one of many, though) that we've seen a withdrawal in recent months.

There's quite a difference between fans saying they don't like how things are being done, saying their unhappy with broken promises etc (however misinformed or under-informed they may be) and those fans who start obsessively emailing and complaining and DEMANDING their God-given rights.

It may well have been a wise move to step back a bit, although perhaps the time they did it and the distance might have been too far too soon? We we were essentially very spoilt and it went from all to nothing, pretty much instantly.

As for suse.... why are you using the word rabid and waving at me? *raises eyebrows menacingly*
                        I don't have the time or energy to worry about it all.

I did enjoy the interraction when it was there, though.

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                        I don't know about that... You are correct the Sanctuary Main Site is down right now (although, the forum is still running) because they are working on the main page. They took it down right after Comic Con, but even before that it was only the Social Networking not the entire site that was up and running. They said back then that site wouldn't be back completely until the show was closer to premiere. I suspect it will not be back up until mid to late September when they have the time to devote to the website.

From what I remember watching the Comic Con Video - Martin and Amanda said they are going to be working on it (website), but they just haven't had the time to devote to the website because they are producing the show. Small companies don't have the man power the large companies do so those at S3M wear a lot of different hats. Damian even said in an interview a couple of months ago that once production was complete they would start working on the website again. I agree with you I think a certain EP of another show spends too much time on the web that it causes even more problems than solves them. So a little distance is not all bad either.
                        I also take the website being down as a good thing since they wanted to premiere the new website at about the time the Sanctuary pilot premiered?

YAY!! Great interview. Tellado loves the show, so it makes for better questions.

Spoiler:
                        Can't wait for the first season. Sanctuary's first season. See how nice that sounds!

More backstory on the Dad! Burns is great and that whole aspect of Helen's life is such an unknown. What am I saying? Her entire life is an unknown.

The RED camera sounds interesting. Don't quite understand it all, but I can understand how more visual information (even more than hi-def) gives more material for the vis effects people to work with.

I loved the beauty of the city shots in the webisodes, so am looking forward to more of those cityscape views.

Ernie is coming back!! YAY!!! And PDL has been behind camera! Whee!!!

I like the attitude of excellence in everyone. MW, AT, DK, RD, EU - all involved! I hope Sanctuary takes off.
                        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                        Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                          Me either. In fact, I would miss out on the material rather than have to join.

Yes, fan entitlement is uncalled for.

But, for me, little blurbs from the production team increase my excitement for upcoming episodes. For instance, all the behind the scenes stuff on shooting Continuum in the Arctic, the excitement MW and AT had about being up there made me enjoy and look forward to Continuum even more.
                          I'll second that on both counts.

None of us are entitled to anything regarding the scope/path of the show or the characters. They are the vision of the people making the show. It's their creative expression, not ours. We have the right to voice our opinion, but only in the "I was really hoping they would do this" type of thing. Beyond that, our opinions don't matter, except as conversation starters to exchange ideas with other fans.

LOVE all the extra stuff for Continuum. Just wish we could have gotten deleted scenes or outtakes.
                          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                          Anon

Comment

Which is why I suggested that the same sentence be copied and pasted to a general forum.

But, I forgot the main Sanctuary site was down.
                            Ummmmm... isn't that exactly what happened? As soon as someone tracy saw the blurb on Facebook, she copied and pasted it not only here on GW, but also on the sanctuaryfans forum.

Unless you want Damian to do that himself? That would involve him signing onto a completely different site (two if you want the info at GW). But what's the difference if he does it or one of the fans does, you still get the information either way.

Comment

Actually, to be fair, it was Ferret who did it on the sanctuaryfans site.

I didn't realise it was such a big deal to people, a little sentence here and there. Had I known, I would have done the c/p thing earlier.

Sorry I caused so much trouble.

Just for the record, there's nothing sanctuary related on any of the guys' profiles tonight.
                              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

For those that don't want to join Facebook here's the Sanctuary/work related bits from Damian's mini-feed on Facebook. It's spoilered for length and where there is a possible cryptic spoiler about Sanctuary I've spoilered it again for those that want to stay spoiler free.

Spoiler:

Yesterday
                                Damian is working nights. And days....

August 19
                                Damian is watching Stevie A. make his TV directing debut... Very cool, he deserves it.

August 18
                                Damian just faded out on the last script of Season 1, Sanctuary. And is kind of stunned....

August 17
                                Damian is writing the season finale.

August 15
                                Damian is hitting a wall.

August 9
                                Damian is breaking the season finale with Sam. Quite frankly, I believe it's going to rock...

August 7
                                Damian is really proud of Amanda and Robin. Ep. 9 will blow people's minds...

August 6
                                Damian is closing in on a draft of Ep 11 and is fairly fried...

August 5
                                Damian is reading Sam's script -- and liking it a a lot.

Damian posted a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj5lGjQAxDY
                                Sanctuary Promo
                                Sci-fi's promo for the new series Sanctuary, airing October 3rd at 9:00.
                                "For those who don't live in the US, or subscribe to Sci Fi Channel... A taste of things to come.
                                - DK"

August 2
                                Damian will, yet again, be writing this weekend....

August 1
                                Damian preparing for a loooong night shoot....

July 27
                                Damian is stressing over the right act breaks in episode eleven.... (Epsiode 11??!! Dear God, where did Season one go to....????

July 25
                                Damian is all about freakin' cool transitions... 5:44pm
                                Damian is doing a lot at once -- including eating trail mix.... 3:29pm
                                Damian is back at home and kinda bummed at the whole lost weekend concept... 2:55pm

July 22
                                Damian cannot spot celebrities, even when they are standing right next to him. 4:26pm
                                Damian won't be at Comicon this year. And is jealous of all those who will... 8:22am

July 19
                                Damian is heading to LA this weekend for TCAs...

July 17
                                Spoiler:
                                Damian is thinking that news crews should be careful what stories they cover in Old City....

July 16
                                Damian is thinking about a cool title for his next epsiode...
                                Spoiler:
                                How about "Night at the Screwseum"?

July 14
                                Spoiler:
                                Damian is wondering what kind of bomb needs to be defused....

July 7
                                Spoiler:
                                Damian is at crush depth -- and sinking.

June 28
                                Spoiler:
                                Damian is planning a submarine trip from hell....

June 25
                                Damian is wondering why reality is so different for other people...

June 24
                                Damian needs 48 hours in every day...
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X