Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    i actually made it through megasnake...with judicious use of the 'next chapter' button to ff through 5+ minutes at a time for the commercials.

stuff like megasnake, just proves how great sanctuary is and what a wonderful job folks cna do iwth the right resources and dedication (how's that for on topic huh? )

I would love to see some bits and pieces about the supporting characters. also something that we saw in web 8 kinda confirms a suspicion of mine

Spoiler:
    the new city, bright, pretty, 'new'...but there's an abnormal there...but he's undercover so to speak. I think the old city is where all the freaks are SUPPOSED to stay, but those that can cover who they are, well they can go into what im guessing is a nice conformist society where people must fit in and be 'right'

i got the definite impression that that lawyer vampire was hiding who he really was.

and he knew helen to boot, so he'd had run ins before
    I think you’re right.

Spoilers just in case:
    Spoiler:
    It reminds me of what Helen said in an earlier wep about how society “pretend(s) they [abnormals] don’t even exist.” Perhaps they are supposed to stay out of sight in Old City but if they can pass for “normal,” they can sneak into regular society. That dichotomy of “normal”/New City and “abnormal”/Old City in itself would be something interesting to explore. It would really be interesting to see an abnormal rejecting what makes him or her abnormal and struggling to just be like the normal people who live in New City.

Although we already see a bit of that with Helen. She doesn’t consider herself abnormal and she is definitely not a conformist, but she is someone who craves the normality of having a finite life.

What I really like about this show so far is that the possibilities are endless and it has the potential to have a lot of depth and substance (as well as some kick-but action. ).

Comment

For those who didn't see it:

http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/weblog/?p=25
      James Graham: Stage 3 Media: www.stage3media.com
      Support Guru/Evangelist/Audience Relations
      http://www.sanctuaryforall.com

Comment

not only does helen see herself as NOT abnormal

Spoiler:
        look at how she lives. stereotypicaly homey. she has a man servant - throwback to her youth no doubt. ashley's comment about 'wrong wine with fish', the way she acts. helen certainly physically passes as normal, but in the midst of the darkness that is the old city, and the general air of tattered past and grungy darkness, she keeps this well civilized, proper little home.

she helps and accepts the abnormals, but seems to have herself above them in a way. she's keeping to the facade of being normal, even as she works with and accepts the abnormals

there's a level of hypocrisy there. not meanly meant, but i think more as a symbol of helen's own unacceptance of who and what she is. or acceptance while she still denies

I have a cap of the new city from web8 and it's on one monitor at work, the church poster on the other...and you can see the true opposition of them both

shiny and bright and new, dark and dank and old
        you would think that the new city is the bastion of acceptance and tolerance, but i have the suspicion that it's anything but. that, for as pretty as it is, it's really a closed off little society rife with predjudice and intolerance, while the old city, exuding a depressing and unwelcoming facade, is really the most accepting of the two. presuming, of course, that you're accepting and tolerant in return
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Cache cleared, 9th attempt... still can't DL ep 8.

*gives up*
          scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by JamesS3M View Post
            For those who didn't see it:

http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/weblog/?p=25
            Hi there James, any special insights on what to expect in the 'fans will have input' category? I'm really curious...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
              Cache cleared, 9th attempt... still can't DL ep 8.

*gives up*
              Don't give up.

It's them, not you or us.

Don't let the bad guys win!

We will have all of y'all who are having, downloading soon.

Comment

Originally posted by elephantgirl View Post
                Hi there James, any special insights on what to expect in the 'fans will have input' category? I'm really curious...
                Waiting to hear from Damian on the process but he wants your ideas to to the future directions of the show. How we'll sort that is TBD...

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  not only does helen see herself as NOT abnormal

Spoiler:
                  look at how she lives. stereotypicaly homey. she has a man servant - throwback to her youth no doubt. ashley's comment about 'wrong wine with fish', the way she acts. helen certainly physically passes as normal, but in the midst of the darkness that is the old city, and the general air of tattered past and grungy darkness, she keeps this well civilized, proper little home.

she helps and accepts the abnormals, but seems to have herself above them in a way. she's keeping to the facade of being normal, even as she works with and accepts the abnormals

there's a level of hypocrisy there. not meanly meant, but i think more as a symbol of helen's own unacceptance of who and what she is. or acceptance while she still denies

I have a cap of the new city from web8 and it's on one monitor at work, the church poster on the other...and you can see the true opposition of them both

shiny and bright and new, dark and dank and old
                  you would think that the new city is the bastion of acceptance and tolerance, but i have the suspicion that it's anything but. that, for as pretty as it is, it's really a closed off little society rife with predjudice and intolerance, while the old city, exuding a depressing and unwelcoming facade, is really the most accepting of the two. presuming, of course, that you're accepting and tolerant in return
                  I agree.

Spoiler:
                  I hadn't thought of her surroundings as being reflective of her desire for normality. But you're right. She has carefully crafted her environment to be as normal and reminiscent of her past as possible. I think Helen is a deeply conflicted person and there is a bit of unconscious hypocrisy there. She doesn't realize it's there b/c she is in denial about her own abnormalness. It would be interesting to see if Helen comes to terms with her abnormality over time or if she still continues to live in denial.

And about how she relates to the abnormals - I think it can be traced back to growing up in the Victorian period. The late 1800s was a time in which western countries felt the need to "socially uplift" the people of third world (the white man's burden and all). According to the theory of Social Darwinism, it was the duty of the civilized nations of the world to bring social and technological advancements to the "lesser" peoples of the world and to help "civilize" them. There's a little bit of that in Helen's attitude. She is there to help and care for the abnormals. But there is a bit of an air of superiority in her outlook.

Look what she did for Bigfoot. She took an uncivilized "monster" and transformed him into the proper English butler complete with outfit. Although she accepts his abnormality and clearly respects him, she also expects him to conform to certain rules of behavior and propriety. It would interesting to see more of their relationship - how he came to be part of their "family" and maybe delve more into why he chose to adopt his new way of life.

Comment

http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/weblog/?p=28

Somebody let the Insider out of his cage.

Comment

If they want marketing done Ill do the trailers for free

Comment

I love all the details we got from the insiders, especially the info about the out takes. Thanks James!! I'm enjoying your weekly segments!

Comment

Hi James,

Thanks for the info on the tech stuff, hopefully we will be able to DL soon I have faith in you all at S3M that you can kick butt very well

I'm loving the Insider and the hints/answers you give us and the Q+A's are great! But I was wondering how do you actually ask a question (sorry for the dumb question)

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
                            Hi James,

Thanks for the info on the tech stuff, hopefully we will be able to DL soon I have faith in you all at S3M that you can kick butt very well

I'm loving the Insider and the hints/answers you give us and the Q+A's are great! But I was wondering how do you actually ask a question (sorry for the dumb question)

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            Julia,

Conversations with management suggest that things could happen next week, but until someone hands me a date for change over, i can only suggest really soon but not as soon as we'd like.

Questions for the insider can be sent to [email protected]

Comment

Q: Invite Teryl Rothery to guest star on Sanctuary. Amanda and her have seriously good on screen chemistry and she is a wonderful actress.

A: Script it. Again, you guys are going to have the chance to contribute script ideas so if you think Teryl could be a part, write something for her that works.
                              Am I the only one who wants to see Teryl play a character who is a former lover of Helen?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                                Am I the only one who wants to see Teryl play a character who is a former lover of Helen?
                                *waits for the usual suspects to chip in*

-

Comment

Working...
                                X