Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
    Also, I got this reply from Dan Woodland in response to a question about format:

I am a big podcast fan and agree with your assessment. Flexibility is key, whether you want to watch it on a mobile device, burn it to DVD or take it with you on your laptop. We don't want to restrict use. The plan is to support RSS 2.0 feeds. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

Of course, I don't think they have anything finalized right now, so who knows what they'll eventually wind up with.
    Well, podcasting is the corporate catch-phrase of the day lately. So I'm not surprised at that. You really don't need a bleeding edge computer to participate either and quite a variety of handheld devices (other than iPod) also support the format.
    Last edited by minigeek; 19 February 2007, 07:55 AM.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
    ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
      Good God in Govan! Where in the name of the sweet chocolate Christ did you find that?
      Where else? Google. I believe it is someone's actual wedding party.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
      ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Thanks for your responses

Much credit to Replicatertje and Ann Sgc_Fan for their lovely sigs

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
          I'm curious about how they are going to do the pricing worldwide, what may be competitive in one country may not be competitive in another.

Question for people that have iTunes in their country - how much does an episode of Stargate or Battlestar Galactica cost in the US, Canada and Britain? (does anywhere else have it?)
          In the US from iTune
          BSG $1.99 per episode and $34.99 for Season 3
          SG1 $1.99 per episode and $37.99 for S10
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

As far as making money, it looks like they wont be soley depending on internet sales, I got this response from Dan about possible DVD sales:

"Yes we are planning on making it available on TV & on DVD. The interactive portions would not work there, and it would look just like a show."

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Watson View Post
              As far as making money, it looks like they wont be soley depending on internet sales, I got this response from Dan about possible DVD sales:

"Yes we are planning on making it available on TV & on DVD. The interactive portions would not work there, and it would look just like a show."
              Interesting- I won't pay for it on the internet, but if I like the first four I'd definitly get the DVD.

Comment

I wonder if they plan to charge per episode or have an option to subscribe to the whole season like on iTunes. I hope its the whole season because I'm pretty stingy and would probably have a problem laying down money everytime a 15 minute episode was released.

Comment

I'm ready for it! Sent back an email saying that I think setting up a forum on the official website is a good idea.
                  sigpic
                  I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
                    I got a reply on the blog from Mark Aubanel about the business model, though I'd quote him here/share.

I'd been rather long winded and asked this question.
                    Spoiler:
                    On another note - I don't know if you're in a position to answer this question via a public blog or not, but what the hey, I'll ask anyway. I was in a meeting about two weeks ago with some colleagues and a few executives from Alliance Atlantis (I say that not to namedrop but because it's relevant to the question).

We discussed SANCTUARY briefly because I brought it up and I wasn't surprised to see a little bit of brow-wrinkling from the "business" end of the table. Which brings me to my point.

I think it's safe to say that SANCTUARY really intends to shake the boundaries of consumer generated media vis-a-vis the internet. However innovative new media is one thing; an innovative means of leveraging an internet audience is quite another. Often times ventures like this are difficult to "sell" (for funding) due to the fact that there's very little established out there in terms of a means to see a return on the revenue invested. The internet is such a "free information" medium that typical commercial ad spots are not always feasible, or may be viewed as simple for the average consumer to block.

Can you talk at all about the format that SANCTUARY is going to take once it begins airing? Will it be subscription based or rely on ad revenue?

As an "art-for-art-sake" experiment, it's a fantastically cool premise, but somehow I think there's more to it than that for you guys. The future of new media truly is convergence, I agree with you. What I'm wondering is ... how have you overcome the business challenge? Or have you?

Cheers,
                    minigeek

You know my husband has been saying something similiar to this for years. He wishes that instead of being required to purchase a package deal with satellite television or cable-- in our case it's like $70.00 a month for hundreds of channles we never watch-- we could simply pay a flat fee each month and pick certain television channels ( or television shows) to watch instead.

I think I can count the number of shows I watch each week on one hand and if it weren't for Stargate and my daughter I'd probably cancel our satellite package all together.

I think cable and satellite packages are great for people who are avid television watchers or for people who simply enjoy vegging out in front of the tube, but for someone like myself, who only watches 2 to 3 hrs of television a week at most, it really is a complete waste of money. So I'm more than happy to help support a show that is moving into a new viewing direction.
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 19 February 2007, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                      You know my husband has been saying something similiar to this for years. He wishes that instead of being required to purchase a package deal with satellite television or cable-- in our case it's like $70.00 a month for hundreds of channles we never watch-- we could simply pay a flat fee each month and pick certain television channels ( or television shows) to watch instead.

I think I can count the number of shows I watch each week on one hand and if it weren't for Stargate and my daughter I'd probably cancel our satellite package all together.

I think cable and satellite packages are great for people who are avid television watchers or for people who simply enjoy vegging out in front of the tube, but for someone like myself, who only watches 2 to 3 hrs of television a week at most, it really is a complete waste of money. So I'm more than happy to help support a show that is moving into a new viewing direction.

I ended up watching so little on my cable package that I cancelled it two years ago. I get what little TV I watch off the net (because they take so long to get to TV here in Aus) and then buy the DVDs as soon as they come out.

I'm also very happy to pay for a new show like this. I look at it this way if they are providing the show in a standard format that you can download / move to portable devices, it's high quality and you can buy a season pass that costs around the equivalent cost of DVD's then I'll pay it.
                      -

Comment

They just e-mailed me back to let me know they'll be selling season passes as well. I can't believe how quick they got back to me. That team is really amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post

Same here. I had pay TV and didn't bother getting it installed when I moved. Free to air covers shows current shows, and I don't watch enough to warrant the expense. Also, I have a fairly hectic schedule this year, so the idea of being able to choose a show and watch it at a time convenient to me is fantastic. Plus, I spend so much time on the net, I'm really excited about the interactive aspects of Sanctuary as well.
                          sigpic
                          My LJ & Fics * Proud Member of W.A.S.P. * Pay It Forward

Comment

Just returned from Physical therapy and found more answers to our questions in my mailbox:

"Dan Woodland (Sanctuary)" <[email protected]> wrote:
                            We have not released any info about fees and costs but rest assured
                            it will be competitively priced.Yes, we will also sell subscriptions. We will be releasing the shows online as quickly as we can make them. It will be available on DVD & TV after the fact. The format of the DVD's & TV show will be
                            different to meet those requirements. Currently we probably have
                            enough Beta testers signed up to meet our needs and I see you are
                            registered all ready so you are signed up. Thanks for all the great
                            questions, keep 'em coming.

Dan Woodland
                            [email protected]

Comment

Hey everyone,

The more I hear about this series, the more excited I get. I am very much looking forward to seeing the first few episodes. I have a feeling this series is going to be quite addictive.

I found some interesting news, although I'm not sure how accurate it is. Damian Kindler mentioned on his blog that he and Amanda did a interview with a radio show called "Slice of SciFi," which is supposed to air next month. I checked out their website and they have a nice little article on the series. The article didn't have anything new but in the comments, someone associated with the radio show mentioned this little tidbit (spoilers just in case):
                              Spoiler:

"Tapping also indicated that the show may get a visit from her former Stargate SG-1 C.O. Richard Dean Anderson."
                              http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/02/...uary/#comments

I have a feeling this is just a possibility that would depend on many factors, but I thought some SG1 fans might get a kick out of it.
                              Last edited by Melora; 19 February 2007, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                                Hey everyone,

The more I hear about this series, the more excited I get. I am very much looking forward to seeing the first few episodes. I have a feeling this series is going to be quite addictive.

I found some interesting news, although I'm not sure how accurate it is. Damian Kindler mentioned on his blog that he and Amanda did a interview with a radio show called "Slice of SciFi," which is supposed to air next month. I checked out their website and they have a nice little article on the series. The article didn't have anything new but in the comments, someone associated with the radio show mentioned this little tidbit (spoilers just in case):
                                Spoiler:

"Tapping also indicated that the show may get a visit from her former Stargate SG-1 C.O. Richard Dean Anderson."
                                http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/02/...uary/#comments

I have a feeling this is just a possibility that would depend on many factors, but I thought some SG1 fans might get a kick out of it.

.... uh..... i think i just
                                Spoiler:
                                had an orgasm.

i think i could handle this guest star!!!

sally *drooling*
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X