Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
    I would expect that, but when
    Spoiler:
    a baby doesn't appear after nine months, his expectations had to change. I can't see Druitt wanting to freeze the embryo if the two were still together. Unless he thinks the baby was born in normal time, but Helen can move between times.
    My theory is that

Spoiler:
    it all happened right before the big showdown in wep 1 and she didn't freeze the embryo until after he had disappeared. The JtR stories say that he suddenly just disappeared (I think the suspect John Druit was said to have drowned himself) so I think he simply wasn't around at all after that confrontation. Also, if I were Helen, I would have also gotten the heck out of dodge after that scene. Since he was searching for her, I assume she had fled.

I fear I am making no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
      My theory is that

Spoiler:
      it all happened right before the big showdown in wep 1 and she didn't freeze the embryo until after he had disappeared. The JtR stories say that he suddenly just disappeared (I think the suspect John Druit was said to have drowned himself) so I think he simply wasn't around at all after that confrontation. Also, if I were Helen, I would have also gotten the heck out of dodge after that scene. Since he was searching for her, I assume she had fled.

I fear I am making no sense.
      Oh, I dunno. Makes perfect sense to me.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
        I am assuming that

Spoiler:
        Helen knew she was pregnant before she knew he was a crazy killer and had told him.
        That's what I'm thinking as well.

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
        I would expect that, but when
        Spoiler:
        a baby doesn't appear after nine months, his expectations had to change. I can't see Druitt wanting to freeze the embryo if the two were still together. Unless he thinks the baby was born in normal time, but Helen can move between times.
        Spoiler:
        I think Helen probably told him before (or while) he began killing the first seven women, and then realized that she couldn't "save" him from himself. Then, when he killed that eighth women and disappeared, I'd imagine she fled for... wherever she ended up going for the next hundred years.

Though the whole frozen embryo scenario has me scratching my head. Did they have those capabilities back then? And if they did, surely it wasn't a do-it-yourself job, no matter how talented you are.

Originally posted by scifithinker
        I'm looking forward to the explanation. I predict it will come in a
        Spoiler:
        dramatic outbust on Ashley's part when she confronts her mother for not telling her the truth. Helen, though, may have thought (hoped) John was dead. She certainly must think the person he was when they were together is dead.
        Yeah, the next hour should be interesting. I know they have already established their distribution model, and it's probably for the sake of maintaining a financial model too... But if no more media buzz is going to be surrounding this series in the near future, I really hope they move it up to once-a-week downloads.

Comment

Blog has been updated!

http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/blog/index.html

In short: because of a move they have to bump the next release back a week.

I personally would rather wait an extra week and get quality than have them rush it out while they are dealing with getting their new offices up and running.

Comment

Judging from what we see of the Sanctuary in ep 1 - I'm assuming that Helen has access to some advanced technology of some kind.

So presumably
            Spoiler:
            freezing an embryo
            in the late 1800s wouldn't be beyond her capabilities.
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Actually, I saw it another way....

Spoiler:
              John knew about the baby and he himself was worried about the child being born with abnormalities, or some sort of brain damage spawned from his own foray into temporal and dimensional bending.

In order to try and save his daughter from the same fate that he suffered, and despite the risk, he "bounced" into the future and got hold of some technology with which to freeze the embryo.

This, however, backfired on him when the powers began to take control.
              Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                That's what I'm thinking as well.

Spoiler:
                I think Helen probably told him before (or while) he began killing the first seven women, and then realized that she couldn't "save" him from himself. Then, when he killed that eighth women and disappeared, I'd imagine she fled for... wherever she ended up going for the next hundred years.
                Spoiler:

Though the whole frozen embryo scenario has me scratching my head. Did they have those capabilities back then? And if they did, surely it wasn't a do-it-yourself job, no matter how talented you are.

Yeah this is the part I don't quite understand myself.
                Spoiler:

I'm not sure when they became technologically capable of freezing an embryo; but I do know that the first baby born using a frozen embryo was 23 years ago(1984). Which I would presume is about Ashley's age. Though I had thought she was closer to 25 years old, which would mean she was actually the first child born using a frozen embryo. And the longest time an embryo has been frozen and brought to term is twelve years, so Helen has them beat by about 80 odd years.

Yeah, the next hour should be interesting. I know they have already established their distribution model, and it's probably for the sake of maintaining a financial model too... But if no more media buzz is going to be surrounding this series in the near future, I really hope they move it up to once-a-week downloads.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post

Spoiler:
                  John knew about the baby and he himself was worried about the child being born with abnormalities, or some sort of brain damage spawned from his own foray into temporal and dimensional bending.

In order to try and save his daughter from the same fate that he suffered, and despite the risk, he "bounced" into the future and got hold of some technology with which to freeze the embryo.

That would work as well.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

Spoiler:

That would work as well.
                    I dunno...

Spoiler:
                    Helen said that she, herself, froze the embryo and kept it frozen for over 100 years before she made the decision to carry the child... out of loneliness.

Which is, ya know, really rather depressing when you think about it.

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                    Yeah this is the part I don't quite understand myself.

Spoiler:

I'm not sure when they became technologically capable of freezing an embryo; but I do know that the first baby born using a frozen embryo was 23 years ago(1984). Which I would presume is about Ashley's age. Though I had thought she was closer to 25 years old, which would mean she was actually the first child born using a frozen embryo. And the longest time an embryo has been frozen and brought to term is twelve years, so Helen has them beat by about 80 odd years.
                    Huh, that's actually pretty interesting. I wonder if they did research on that, and chose Ashley's age based on that history, so as to make it more believable?

If not, that's one heckuva coincidence.

ETA: I know I asked this before, but I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure whether or not Helen's father - or the history of the Sanctuary and their relationship - would be playing a role in the series. Is that true backstory that Damian created, or did it come from somewhere else (like my crazy brain)?

Comment

Spoiler:

But then
                      Spoiler:
                      wouldn't he have directly gone to the rigth century where he knew we could defreeze embryos in place of searching for Ashley and Helen for such a long time?

Do you think it's possible Helen may have warped time with John to be sure he was telling the truth? To understand him better.
                      Then she learned she was pregnant and wanted to save her child because John was starting to get beyond her control?

It's all some theories and I'm no good at them. Maybe Helen is actually from now and was left behind there. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                        I dunno...

Spoiler:
                        Helen said that she, herself, froze the embryo and kept it frozen for over 100 years before she made the decision to carry the child... out of loneliness.

Which is, ya know, really rather depressing when you think about it.

Huh, that's actually pretty interesting. I wonder if they did research on that, and chose Ashley's age based on that history, so as to make it more believable?

If not, that's one heckuva coincidence.
                        Spoiler:
                        I have a problem with that because a person can't know beforehand how long she will be able to handle the loneliness so maybe she could defreeze the embryo before it began to be public knowledge?

Or did she know it would take that many years before being able to carry a frozen embryo to term and did she force herself to handle it until there were possibilities?

And then there's still the question: why did she keep the embryo? Knowing John's abnormality. Surely she could have had a child with another man. Maybe it was an experiment at the same time? It's cruel to say it but... Ashley still is John Druitt's daughter. The daughter of Jack the Ripper, the daughter of someone who can bend time and space. It must be... interesting.

Comment

Spoiler:

But...
                          Spoiler:

would someone from Vistorian time even be able to conceive that freezing an embryo was even possible. I don't think so. Though he could have traveled into the future before.

head hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizlove View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            I have a problem with that because a person can't know beforehand how long she will be able to handle the loneliness so maybe she could defreeze the embryo before it began to be public knowledge?

Or did she know it would take that many years before being able to carry a frozen embryo to term and did she force herself to handle it until there were possibilities?

And then there's still the question: why did she keep the embryo? Knowing John's abnormality. Surely she could have had a child with another man. Maybe it was an experiment at the same time? It's cruel to say it but... Ashley still is John Druitt's daughter. The daughter of Jack the Ripper, the daughter of someone who can bend time and space. It must be... interesting.
                            I just figured...

controversial? I dunno...
                            Spoiler:
                            That she couldn't bring herself to have an abortion, but wasn't ready to carry John's child after all that he had done... especially if she determined that it was hereditary, and especially if he threatened to do anything and everything to keep his "family" together.

As for keeping it for so long, she did say she waited until she thought he was gone for good. And if she was living out the rest of her life in various parts of the world, treating each patient in a desperate attempt to make up for John somehow (perhaps out of guilt for not being able to save him), having a child might not have been viable or logical.

I also don't think she could've known how long it would be before she could carry a frozen embryo to term... It could've just been coincidence on her part.

Or here's another question!

Spoiler:
                            Did John really have so much disdain for Helen back then, regarding her wayward behavior and profession, or do you think the dementia has warped his memories and incited so much hate?

Part of me wondered if he didn't have a little bit of a problem with Helen after the things he said.
                            Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 29 June 2007, 02:02 PM.

Comment

A thought

Spoiler:
                              maybe an abnormal had the power to freeze the embryo without harming it...

Comment

Finally saw webisode 4 - better late than never. Enjoyed it tremendously. Does the next one come out in two weeks?

Helen is so confident!
                                Spoiler:
                                She was so sure Will was not going to walk out.

Much credit to Replicatertje and Ann Sgc_Fan for their lovely sigs

Comment

Working...
                                X