Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will anyone be capturing the audio or video streams from the expo site?
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

Keep your eyes peeled for the Jedi Chefs.

I dunno if they're going, but they're easy to spot - Jedi robes, lightsabers, chefs hats.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

There's an article in The Wall Street Journal today that caught my eye. It's titled "Make-It-Yourself 'Star Wars'", and it's written by Sarah McBride, just in case anyone can find it online... I'm pretty sure you have to have a subscription to access their articles online though.

Anyway, what's so interesting about this article is that George Lucas, who evidently is well-known for being very protective of his work, is allowing fans of Star Wars to go online and edit various clips of the film series at will from here on out.

George Lucas, creator of "Star Wars," has never hesitated to protect his intellectual property, which is why some call him "Lucas the Litigator." But this week, his LucasFilm plans to make clips of "Star Wars" available to fans on the Internet to mash up - meaning to remix however they want - at will.

The clips - about 250 of them, from all six Star Wars movies - will land on the Starwars.com website tomorrow, part of this week's 30th-anniversary celebrations of the release of his hit movie.

<snip>

They can then post their creations to blogs or social networking sites like MySpace. More clips will come out from time to time over coming months.

In essence, Lucasfilm is going to legitimize and streamline a pastime that has become increasingly popular on the Web.

<snip>

While Lucasfilm could fight what amounts to the theft of its property, it has now decided to take the opposite tack. In doing so, it is tackling an issue that faces all media companies today: how to keep some semblance of control over intellectual property in the digital age.

"We see what's going on at YouTube," says Jeffery Ulin, senior director for distribution and business affairs at Lucasfilm, who says the company began to think about allowing mash-ups last sumer. "We see what's going on out there on the Web generally. And we wanted fans to come to Starwars.com as the center of fan activity."
        And it goes on.

But it was interesting to me, because this is just another example of what Damian Kindler and the rest of the Sanctuary crew are doing in terms of utilizing the internet for, not only allowing "intellectual property" to exchange hands easily and without litigating the fans to death, but also getting valuable marketing data for their company.

While George Lucas may never be OK with going the exact same route that the Sanctuary folks are going (looking at the rest of the article, he really does have a reputation of being a harda**), it's still a step in the right direction.

ETA: And while they're still being really restrictive about it (kinda like NBCUniversal has become with their stuff), it's still nice that the big guys are making an effort.
        Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 24 May 2007, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
          Tapping Eager For Sanctuary

"There really wasn't a second choice," Kindler said. "If she had said 'I can't' or 'I'm not interested' or 'I don't think so,' I don't think it would have worked. She has a huge international following. She's an executive producer on the show, which she's very good at. She was very powerful in front of the camera and behind the camera, and all of it was very important and helpful and necessary."

Read full article at SciFi.com

when i read stuff like this... i'm just so danged proud of amanda and to be an amanda fan!!!!!!!!

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

does anyone really think will looks like michael shanks/daniel jackson? my mom thought it was him. i don't think they look alike at all. the only thing i can see similar is will wears glasses.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              does anyone really think will looks like michael shanks/daniel jackson? my mom thought it was him. i don't think they look alike at all. the only thing i can see similar is will wears glasses.

sally
              I don't see any similarities either Sally.
              sigpic

Comment

does anyone know how much money the sanctary show has made so far? i know the first four weps are free, but there are some ppl (myself included) that bought the ep(s), so... i'm asking because i want to know how many hits their premier ep had. it might bode well for its future.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

One more thing from the WSJ.

Spoiler:
                  There was an article about the trailing network, the CW, which was published yesterday. In it, journalist Brooks Barnes asked Bill Morningstar (CW's executive vice president of network sales) specifically about the Web components surrounding a new series called "Gossip Girl." It's apparently one of a moderate list of new series that actually have advertisers interested in the network for the next season. The series, which is evidently written by Amy Sherman from "Gilmore Girls", is said to be based off of a novel by Cecily von Ziegesar (that's from wikipedia, though, so take that with a grain of salt).

WSJ: Media buyers are already expressing interest in the Web components of "Gossip Girl." What are you offering that is different.

Mr. Morningstar: The hub for this show is going to be a virtual bedroom, where people can access different product areas by clicking on things. So if you're interested in music, you can click on the "Gossip Girl" iPod and see lists of songs to download. Or if you're into fashion, you can click on the closet. Another unique element involves interactive billboards. In L.A. and New York, there will be "Gossip Girl" digital billboards where people can share their gossip with the world by texting or emailing it in.
                  There is a website that seems to feature characters of the same names as the ones listed at imdb. However, I think it may be seeing an overhaul soon.

It'll be interesting to see how CW approaches marketing this new web content for their series, how it's received by their target audience, whether or not they stick with the same web-focused concept this fall, and whether or not the other networks follow suit.
                  Last edited by the dancer of spaz; 24 May 2007, 03:04 PM. Reason: spoiled just in case...

Comment

sally

I'm with dipsofjazz, I don't see it either. To me he looks a little like Balthazar Getty from Brothers and Sisters. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                      Completely understandable

I watched the HD version, not the low-res youtube in the end.
                      You're right in that it's fnuny, because every time the had an exterior background shot, the kind that are quite often are done in CGI - or at least invovle some computer graphics, a-la mat paintings - felt like a computer game to me. I'll be honest, I don't know how what they're doing with the big backgrounds is differnet from mat paintings, but it felt different.
                      Another bit was one of the rooms... I can't remember which scene, the nightmare one or the cops one, but one of them had a coach and a wall behind it and somewhere there, perhaps the contrast, or the setting, or I dunno.... it really really bothered me visually. Again, I'll have to rewatch to tell you exactly why.
                      Some of the backgrounds were just fine - the hospital scenes were no problem whatsoever, with perhaps the exception of the morgue scene. Generally the insides were alright. But as I said, all the exteriors felt computer-gamish. - Againas FroeverSG1 rightly said, they were aiming at that and never tried to hide it

You're right in saying that the majority (I have seen some incredible blue/green screen shots that the onyl thing hinting they're done with computers is the fact you jsut can't achieve that in real life... butt hat's a very small minority) of the scene can be spotted rpetty easily - as I said, the first 17 minutes for me lacked in story, but that's alright, it's just 17 minutes. I would say that knowing they're cutting downt he story for 17-minute-webisodes I feel they shuodl have went for a different introduction and a differnet way to approach the story - it really feels like the first 17 minutes of an hour long episode, not something that stands on its own - and it's a problem if you pre-release just that. Just like regular two/three/arc parters in a regular television shows do have the "this is the beginning, this is the story we're telling, this is the (partial) end" pointers for the different parts, I think they should have gone for that route in Sanctuary - and I dunno, maybe they feel they have I just dind't feel that way - it felt the beginning and end pointers were fine, but everything in between begged to be a part of a longer episode.
                      And of course, added is the fact that, what can I do, I'm not a big fan of fantasy. Usually my tolerance for the genre is for the very, very best - Tolkien, Zelazny, Pratchett, and their peers, and I find myself having very little patience to any fantasy that isn't top quality.... but as I said, that's up to differnet tastes and it's definitely not their fault, rather my problem!
                      Thanks for that, I do enjoy hearing other peoples perception of what they are seeing. Unfortunately most of my friends go "huh? what?".

I think you are correct with the length of the webisodes though and maybe using a different approach. I've found that people that go in with the expectation of it's a 2 hour pilot broken into 8 pieces and others who see it as an episode seem to have different responses as to how good it was. It will be interesting to see how things develop in the future both with Sanctuary and the concept as a whole. I know there is a concept out there of short attention spans with the web but the sci fi genre has a sub culture attached to it with very intelligent people and they don't fit the regular mold of fans. So should they be applying that particular thought to projects like this?

Once the pilot has been shown completely maybe Damian can get the fans to complete a survey or something to provide a bit more indepth feedback on various aspects of it.

Originally posted by Purpleyin View Post
                      Got my Dr. Magnus costume together today thanks to my mum (go charity shops and impromptu home sewing). Sadly lacking the hat but I think the costume looks decent enough without that or the coat, besides the wig will make my head bouil enough as it is. Will post some photos up, might take a few tomorrow before the con as I'll be showing it to my friend who I'm going with.

The badges arrived at my work today too but it was my day off, so my friend has them and don't know quite how they turned out but at last they are existant in some form now.
                      Have lots of fun.

sally
                      No, I don't. I think he looks like Robin Dunne

And thanks Spaz, those articles were really interesting. I like hearing about background stuff about where the industry is heading and things they are experimenting with.
                      -

Comment

Webisode 2 preview on fansite!!!

http://sanctuaryfans.com/site/index....=159&Itemid=68
                        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                        Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                          Thanks tagger, that looks great

Is it Monday yet?
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                            Yup!!!

It's also been DUGG...so go and DIGG it too! Let's get those numbers up!

http://digg.com/television/Sanctuary...2_Preview/blog

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I need a little help, how do i get a saved file of Sanctuary in WM player to play on my tv? I'm running Windows XP and i've got DVD+RW disks but having trouble in getting it to download and to play in my DVD player.
                              Just to let you know this is the first time i've done this so i'm very clueless as to what i should be doing!
                              Thanks
                              ......TARA......

Comment

Yay! My Sanctuary t-shirt and hoodie arrived today! I just had to share.

Comment

Working...
                                X