Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it'll have a chance. time will tell if the torrents are allowed to continue. the first 4 are free, so i doubt they'll do anything, but after that, who knows, tehy may shut the torrents down. And i wouldn't blame them if they did.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      it'll have a chance. time will tell if the torrents are allowed to continue. the first 4 are free, so i doubt they'll do anything, but after that, who knows, tehy may shut the torrents down. And i wouldn't blame them if they did.
      If you mean the SD ones yes they are free, but not the HD ones ! What I don't get it, is how an obviously Amanda/Stargate fan would do something like that to them (it's not like they can get money from something else like advertising like on T.V. and the eventually DVD sales are months away at best)

Comment

i know a lot of people that won't download off torrents. In fact i read one guy on LJ who asked for someone to send him a copy since he's on dialup and the response was 'sure, i'll send you one, but you have to buy the bundle and i'll download it for you'

On the other hand, there was an underground by midnight on the 14th. there will always be an underground. we can just hope that those that pay outweigh those that don't

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
          Er... no. Far from it.
          Color me ignorant.

And I really shouldn't try and do math after a few cocktails. Hopefully, they'll level everything out soon.
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
            If you mean the SD ones yes they are free, but not the HD ones ! What I don't get it, is how an obviously Amanda/Stargate fan would do something like that to them (it's not like they can get money from something else like advertising like on T.V. and the eventually DVD sales are months away at best)
            That's just so wrong. I surely hope that it doesn't continue. Shows on TV make their money from advertising dollars. Sanctuary doesn't have that avenue of income. And especially at this point in the venture, they need as much support as possible, otherwise it just won't continue. That would truly be sad.

I admit to grabbing the SG eps off torrent when they were broadcast in the UK. Too impatient to wait. But I'm also watching them during their current broadcast now. (both viewings) And I'll be getting the DVD's.
            William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
            Anon

Comment

In my opinion, if the person uploaded the HD version to torrent, they weren't much of an fan of Amanda's. If they had been, then they would have realized that doing so will make it much more difficult for this series to continue after the first four webisodes are aired. A true fan would want Sanctuary to continue so that they could continue to see Amanda in an exciting new project. However, without fan support, whether financially or not, there is no way a project like is going to survive. Because if fans are not willing to support the show financially after the first four webisodes, then Amanda and crew may choose to get back as much of their initial investment, and bag the idea of any future webisodes.

Comment

Another question from the resident technology ignoramus:
                Can I assume my old (2000) computer will not handle an HD version? I downloaded the SD version (which looked pretty good to me).

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                  Another question from the resident technology ignoramus:
                  Can I assume my old (2000) computer will not handle an HD version? I downloaded the SD version (which looked pretty good to me).
                  It might have difficulty, as it would require more RAM and processing power to play.

I purchased the SD bundle and when the HD bundle becomes available, my friend is going to get the HD bundle so we can compare. We're both wondering how much of a difference there really is, because the SD looked pretty darn goog to me.
                  William Shakespeare

Anon

Comment

you computer would probablyl have issues. I know mine at work did. i tried to open the HD file and the poor thing just had a conniption

but my apple with more power handled it just fine

sigpic

Comment

The first webisode (HD) is already available on torrents... Kinda sad for the creators and actors that put their hearts in the project ! At this rate and with the 2 weeks between the webisodes I really don't give it a chance !
                      Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      On the other hand, there was an underground by midnight on the 14th. there will always be an underground. we can just hope that those that pay outweigh those that don't

!!@#$%^*&@!!

I don't even know what torrents is, I don't want to know.

How can a new, advertisement-less, deep studio pockets-less venture survive with that going on?

Please let it be a vanishingly small, microscopic minority.
                      Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
                      Quint Studer

Comment

bit torrent, it's a peer to peer file sharing program/means

i think, originally, it was meant to assist in the transfer of simply large files, but folks now use it to upload all sorts of stuff, including shows

sigpic

Comment

i finally bought the ep. i was afraid it wouldn't play well/pretty on my computer. after i bought it, i played it straight off the site. it was choppy but livable. i then d/led the ep to my computer and it played perfectly. BUT, the playing off the site version was brighter, and the d/led one i had probs seeing, even after i upped the lighting. i just can't win!

i also watched (then d/led) the extras thinger, but that thing doesn't play correctly, whether i play it from site or d/l it to my computer. did anyone else have this prob? and, what exactly did the extras show?

so i'm still having issues, but nothing horrible.

LOVED seeing the ep!!!!

oh, something interesting that i *finally* was able to see on a higher quality recording...

when helen handed will her card; while it was still in her hand, it just said 'sanctuary', but when will touched it, it suddenly said 'for all' underneath it.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

the extras are green shots of helen, will and ashley

they say to tune into eps 2 to see what they'll look like finished, but we've already seen them. those shots were in the 5 minute preview

sigpic

Comment

I think releasing the show via Intenet is dicy at best ! The first webisode (HD) is already available on torrents... Kinda sad for the creators and actors that put their hearts in the project ! At this rate and with the 2 weeks between the webisodes I really don't give it a chance !
                              The whole project is dicy. They are trying something new that everyone has been talking about for a few years. Regardless of the great content it is always a possibility that the project could fail but following projects could succeed because of the groundbreaking work down by the Sanctuary people.

As far as being available on bittorrent well that can be looked at several ways.
                              • Seeing as the first 4 are free, letting it alone out there on the net can be seen as free advertising.
                              • After the first 4 though, it's easy and yet time consuming to shut down a lot of the distributers. Most large sites have a policy of if you report a torrent (and are a copy right owner) they will take it down. However you have to report each and every instance, hence the time consuming part.
                              • People on bittorrent habitually, won't pay, so technically they were never a potential customer so no money has been lost.

I'll be interested to what the Sanctuary folks decide as their policy. If they want help I'm sure some fans could assist with dobbing in a torrent.

OK I'm off to the Sanctuary fans chat!
                              -

Comment

Oh yeah - if anyone has trouble getting in to the Sanctuary chatroom (like me) then here is an alternate way.

Go to http://www.chat4all.org/

You'll see a login panel to Channel #lounge
                                Type in a username and enter the Lounge...

then when that comes up, type:
                                /join #sanctuaryfans
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X