Revolution (NBC) : News/Speculation/General Discussion SPOILERS S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post
    1) Ignoring the obvious point that you're getting at, string - poke two sticks in the ground, tie it between them and you have a straight line.
    Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    I thought that too

Spoiler:
    try digging a massive hole with hand tools and see how even you get it. That grave was way too neat for something hand dug, which is what it'd have to be.
    Spoiler:
    Ian, getting the straight line wasn't the problem. If I recall, the strings used to layout the grave were still there (weren't they?). I suppose my point is what Skydiver has said, the hole is too neat to have been dug with hand tools, unless they took a very long time doing it.

So, is this just a nitpick on my part, or was the intent by the producers of the show to indicate some kind of military respect by the rebels towards Danny for his part in taking out the helicopter? I can't say that I saw anything in that funeral scene which led me to feel that there was a military funeral with full honors going on. So I'm going to have to go with nit-pick.

Originally posted by Ian-S View Post

2) Yes, a new shirt, and bra too by the looks of it (or at least one that's been through a wash cycle).
    Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    Just caues they don't have modern washers does not mean they can'twash their clothes..

Not really my point that they couldn't/wouldn't/shouldn't/can't wash their clothes.

Spoiler:

From the looks of things, Charlie wasn't in a sitting around kind of mood, and she didn't go out on patrol until after the funeral, so are you suggesting she dealt with her brother's death, by going on a cleaning spree?

It just seems odd to me that Charlie would continue to wear something that had been soaked in her brother's blood, even if she had washed it out. The writers/director went to the effort of showing Charlie trying one last act of protecting/saving/comforting/sheltering her brother by having her take off her coat and draping it over his body. She can be seen trying to use it to staunch the flow of blood. If the writers wanted her to wear that coat after, as some kind of memorial to her brother, then they probably should have had a quick line or two added to the script:

Other character - "Say Charlie, why are you wearing that jacket which was soaked in your brother's blood? Here, I got this nice new one that's just your size. Even looks the same as the one you've got on."
    Charlie - "Thanks, but no thanks. I'm wearing this until I kill Monroe. It's a way for Danny to still be part of the fight."

And with those few simple lines there's another little bit of back-story added to the character. As it is, it looks like a wasted opportunity for a bit of character development, because they have a particular look for Charlie which they want to keep. One might say, it's a case of style over substance.

It will be interesting to see if Charlie is still wearing that same jacket next season.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

I think the jacket
      Spoiler:
      is something along the line of 'we want the image' and the writers etc didn't think it through. If her jacket was as wet as I think it was, danny was bleeding quite a lot, well blood stinks. It spoils and rots, especially when continually exposed to the heat of a human body. Now she could have ripped out the liner and likely gotten rid of most of it, but honestly, 15 years since they last had manufacturing, her jacket never really should have existed in the first place. Even if someone had that kind of skill - and there are people around that can do leatherwork - the cost would be very prohibitive.
      Of course that's like a lot of stuff on the show. They just toss a few rampant plant viney things on everything and presto chango, it's 15 years later.

I was thinking about the character earlier in the season, with the pictures of her kids on her iPhone...a battery is still going to have a residual charge 15 years later?

Overall they do an okay job showing the passage of time, but sometimes they kinda forget just how primitive things would be
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        I think the jacket
        Spoiler:
        is something along the line of 'we want the image' and the writers etc didn't think it through. If her jacket was as wet as I think it was, danny was bleeding quite a lot, well blood stinks. It spoils and rots, especially when continually exposed to the heat of a human body. Now she could have ripped out the liner and likely gotten rid of most of it, but honestly, 15 years since they last had manufacturing, her jacket never really should have existed in the first place. Even if someone had that kind of skill - and there are people around that can do leatherwork - the cost would be very prohibitive.
        Of course that's like a lot of stuff on the show. They just toss a few rampant plant viney things on everything and presto chango, it's 15 years later.

I was thinking about the character earlier in the season, with the pictures of her kids on her iPhone...a battery is still going to have a residual charge 15 years later?

Overall they do an okay job showing the passage of time, but sometimes they kinda forget just how primitive things would be

Good points.

Spoiler:

Not only would the pre-existing clothing be starting to wear out, but as you have noted, leatherworking for the making of shoes and the like would be a very rare and valuable skill. Should we not be seeing these guys wearing moccasins, or even going barefoot in some cases?

I am willing to suspend disbelief, to a point. Certainly none of what we've seen has been so bad that it makes me not want to watch the show. Sometimes the dialogue and direction does get me close, but I digress. I suppose I just find it a bit frustrating to see the producers (of any program) miss simple things which, to my mind, would add a great deal of depth to the story.

And it is a good point about Maggie Foster's iPhone. If nothing else, it certainly can be seen as a nice bit of subliminal promotional work for iPhone.

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

The Song Remains the Same
          Spoiler:
          For Revolution, it certainly does but hear me out when I say that this is the best episode of the season so far. Several key choices have to be thanked for that, including a massive focus on the second best character of the show Nevil, an incredible performance and a sense of pace that's definitely one of Revolution's best.

For so long Nevil has been this militia guy of great power, one who brings down entire people to his whim, one with exceptional skills, one who cannot be stopped so to see him get captured and all is almost brilliant in itself; it was expected but it's still brilliant. Within the episode's 45 minute time frame, you get to see the many sides of Nevil, you get to see the cold, calculated side; you get to see the emotional, lose side, you get to see the compassionate site and you also get to see his determined side; the way the actor who plays Nevil delivers his emotions and his lines are great, you can truly see that he's invested in his character, that he's actually Nevil himself; the way that he moves his face and flexes the muscles that control emotion, the very infliction of his voice, that right there screams quality material.

Nevil in a sticky situation.

And in addition, you also get some character growth. To see Jason and Nevil face to face, talking about loyalty and the actions of a father; you can see that he truly cared about him, that he didn't want him to be taken from the world so early and Jason plays that pissed off son well, so well in fact that any traces of bad performances from him early on in the first half of the season seems to have dissipated. Nevil is earnest and humble and Jason is rebellious but also tender at the same time. In fact seeing the new revolution based Jason, he's actually helpful, he's actually seeming like he's been part of the rebels from the start, he's actually starting to seem interesting.

This doesn't mean that Nevil is the only character who gets focus around here. Rachel continues her streak from the last few episodes by focusing on the sad side of the mother/daughter relationship. Rachel is in tip-top shape shedding tears and tearing through emotions as if she were Dr. Juliet on Lost all over again; even though the character of Charlie interferes with the process by not emoting properly and seeming a bit displacent about the situation, (the good news, she's in a lessened role here.) Rachel treats her as if she was her own daughter, as if she was afraid to see her go into the good fight, the good highly choreographed, dull as butter, indulgent fights. Additionally, placing her on a mission that's sure to enhance the plotline was also a nice decision; if anything "The Tower" is keeping me interested and let's hope that her journey there won't be in vain.

There is a notable thing about this episode and that's the discovery of the cause of the blackout; I said before that whatever the cause of the blackout would be, it'd definitely be stupid and that's the cause here. I mean parasites. It explains why they can't use wind or solar power but come on, energy isn't something that can be consumed, it's a force of nature, it's a current that's constantly flowing, it's even flowing inside of us. While I admit this will certainly pacify the mainstream audience who watches the show, it won't pacify those intelligent people who pick this show apart piece by piece. If the things sucking up the energy are tiny particles than do those pendents repel the creatures, do they put out more energy than they can consume? And why aren't those particles affecting the human body? At least we got a reason why the power went out.

Miles and Rachael, together.

There's another thing that brings it down, they still haven't fixed the issue of involvement. Whenever I see these people out on the streets, fighting for the greater good; I don't care a single lick about them. Yes they're fighting to bring back the United States but what makes me care about these characters, what makes me care when Monroe kills one of them, what makes me care when one of them dies on the battlefield?; in order for this show to work, they need to start dialing the emotional centers of the characters and giving us sufficient reasons as to care for them instead of just being the good/evil fight. I like how we got more of a look inside the rebellions working but I didn't like that they kept forcing these characters on screen, expecting us to care just because they have a connection to the main characters.

Still, despite this; this is still the best episode of Revolution so far. It has above average character performances, it has some soul and it's definately satisfying to watch. However, it's still muddy in the departments of involvement and that reveal is sure to leave you yelling at your TV in frustration but at the same time, "The Tower" is hooking viewers in and it's sure to look interesting when the time comes around. Great job Revolution, you're improving.
          6.5/10
          Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
            The Song Remains the Same
            Spoiler:
            For Revolution, it certainly does but hear me out when I say that this is the best episode of the season so far. Several key choices have to be thanked for that, including a massive focus on the second best character of the show Nevil, an incredible performance and a sense of pace that's definitely one of Revolution's best.

For so long Nevil has been this militia guy of great power, one who brings down entire people to his whim, one with exceptional skills, one who cannot be stopped so to see him get captured and all is almost brilliant in itself; it was expected but it's still brilliant. Within the episode's 45 minute time frame, you get to see the many sides of Nevil, you get to see the cold, calculated side; you get to see the emotional, lose side, you get to see the compassionate site and you also get to see his determined side; the way the actor who plays Nevil delivers his emotions and his lines are great, you can truly see that he's invested in his character, that he's actually Nevil himself; the way that he moves his face and flexes the muscles that control emotion, the very infliction of his voice, that right there screams quality material.

Nevil in a sticky situation.

And in addition, you also get some character growth. To see Jason and Nevil face to face, talking about loyalty and the actions of a father; you can see that he truly cared about him, that he didn't want him to be taken from the world so early and Jason plays that pissed off son well, so well in fact that any traces of bad performances from him early on in the first half of the season seems to have dissipated. Nevil is earnest and humble and Jason is rebellious but also tender at the same time. In fact seeing the new revolution based Jason, he's actually helpful, he's actually seeming like he's been part of the rebels from the start, he's actually starting to seem interesting.

This doesn't mean that Nevil is the only character who gets focus around here. Rachel continues her streak from the last few episodes by focusing on the sad side of the mother/daughter relationship. Rachel is in tip-top shape shedding tears and tearing through emotions as if she were Dr. Juliet on Lost all over again; even though the character of Charlie interferes with the process by not emoting properly and seeming a bit displacent about the situation, (the good news, she's in a lessened role here.) Rachel treats her as if she was her own daughter, as if she was afraid to see her go into the good fight, the good highly choreographed, dull as butter, indulgent fights. Additionally, placing her on a mission that's sure to enhance the plotline was also a nice decision; if anything "The Tower" is keeping me interested and let's hope that her journey there won't be in vain.

There is a notable thing about this episode and that's the discovery of the cause of the blackout; I said before that whatever the cause of the blackout would be, it'd definitely be stupid and that's the cause here. I mean parasites. It explains why they can't use wind or solar power but come on, energy isn't something that can be consumed, it's a force of nature, it's a current that's constantly flowing, it's even flowing inside of us. While I admit this will certainly pacify the mainstream audience who watches the show, it won't pacify those intelligent people who pick this show apart piece by piece. If the things sucking up the energy are tiny particles than do those pendents repel the creatures, do they put out more energy than they can consume? And why aren't those particles affecting the human body? At least we got a reason why the power went out.

Miles and Rachael, together.

There's another thing that brings it down, they still haven't fixed the issue of involvement. Whenever I see these people out on the streets, fighting for the greater good; I don't care a single lick about them. Yes they're fighting to bring back the United States but what makes me care about these characters, what makes me care when Monroe kills one of them, what makes me care when one of them dies on the battlefield?; in order for this show to work, they need to start dialing the emotional centers of the characters and giving us sufficient reasons as to care for them instead of just being the good/evil fight. I like how we got more of a look inside the rebellions working but I didn't like that they kept forcing these characters on screen, expecting us to care just because they have a connection to the main characters.

Still, despite this; this is still the best episode of Revolution so far. It has above average character performances, it has some soul and it's definately satisfying to watch. However, it's still muddy in the departments of involvement and that reveal is sure to leave you yelling at your TV in frustration but at the same time, "The Tower" is hooking viewers in and it's sure to look interesting when the time comes around. Great job Revolution, you're improving.
            6.5/10
            Quick response: I agree. More later as time allows.

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

The wife and I are really enjoying having this show back. This continues, IMO, to be a great first season.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The pendants probably

Spoiler:
                disable the bugs ability to absorb energy.

But I totally agree some things are totally silly, yes the holes were not dug by hand (I was being slightly sarcastic in my reply) and I'm pretty sure they still have rivers they can wash their clothes in, but the reason for the blackout is lame when you consider that...

Spoiler:
                by going by the answer she gave, it would kill anything with a brain on the planet too...

Still, I'm enjoying it even with it's scientific and logical flaws.

Comment

i've decided to give up on the show. I haven't watched the last 2 episodes yet, even though they are there just ready for me to watch I just can't bring myself to do it. The show hasn't held my interest enough, and it certainly had far too many cringe worthy moments to make me keep coming back despite it's campiness.

That said, I do expect to peek back in here at the end of the season and have someone tell me what all the good info about the mystery is!

Comment

Bad news everyone. No Revolution tonight. NBC has decided to due a new coverage at 10 PM on the Boston tragedy
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      Bad news everyone. No Revolution tonight. NBC has decided to due a new coverage at 10 PM on the Boston tragedy
                      I hardly think an episode of Revolution is as important as this real life tragedy.

Comment

I would never claim that TV is more important than real world events. Sorry if it seemed that way
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I must remember to stay away from the spoilers...

I have a few episodes to watch on my Sky+ box. So it looks like I'll be having a marathon watching session this weekend...!

I think we are up to episode 5 or 6 here in the UK.
                          "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                          Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                          Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                          Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                          I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                          To thy own self... Be true
                          May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            I hardly think an episode of Revolution is as important as this real life tragedy.
                            I agree, but no one stopped network television for the people injured/killed in West, TX. From the initial numbers...more people were hurt and killed than in Boston.

Plus...I watched the episode on OnDemand!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                              I agree, but no one stopped network television for the people injured/killed in West, TX. From the initial numbers...more people were hurt and killed than in Boston.

Plus...I watched the episode on OnDemand!
                              True.. Heck from watching all the TV news spots, we had roughly 4-1 ratio of time spent on the BMB compared to texas.. then NADA on texas almost for 3 damn days...

I Do hope though that the powers that be shift the eps 1 week back to compensate for this so those of us who DON'T get on demand etc, can still watch last weeks ep..

Comment

So, who's excited for the new episode of Revolution?

The fact that they're going outside of the Monroe Republic definitely makes this interesting.
                                Back from the grave.

Comment

Working...
                                X