Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once Upon A Time General Discussion/News/Speculation (spoilers possible)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    So.. Who do we want for Merlin?
    Sir Ian McKellen? But he might be too expensive. Cliff Simon, because that would amuse me greatly. Or maybe Paul McGillion.
    sigpic
    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

The casting call for Merlin is describing him as "an african-american with a british accent and longish hair" Personally I want either Sir Ian McKellen or Jake Gyllenhall myself

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
        The casting call for Merlin is describing him as "an african-american with a british accent and longish hair" Personally I want either Sir Ian McKellen or Jake Gyllenhall myself
        How about Sam Neill (of the Jurassic Park movies)? He played Merlin in a TV movie a number of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
          ?? Why the heck are they going for an African American to play merlin?? That would be akin imo to getting a Pacific islander to play King Arthur, or an Asian lass to play Lady Guenevere.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            How about Sam Neill (of the Jurassic Park movies)? He played Merlin in a TV movie a number of years ago.
            Now there's a good actor, I liked that movie! Plus it makes sense!

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Most of the fairy tale characters we grew up with are white. That's not an accurate portrayal of the world we live in. So it really doesn't bother me from a story perspective to have a minority play Merlin.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I can see that I am a little surprised by that too but if that is what they want...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Most of the fairy tale characters we grew up with are white. That's not an accurate portrayal of the world we live in. So it really doesn't bother me from a story perspective to have a minority play Merlin.
                  But when all the history for that character shows him as a white englishman, it imo does not make any sense to have him played by a black. Just like if say i was going to make a tv show about camelot, i wouldn't cast a pacific islander female to play Lancelot.

Comment

But when all the history for that character shows him as a white englishman, it imo does not make any sense to have him played by a black. Just like if say i was going to make a tv show about camelot, i wouldn't cast a pacific islander female to play Lancelot.
                    Lancelot was portrayed by a black man. So was Poseidon. So, I guess, why not Merlin?

Comment

I'm okay with pacific islander. Female is just you being silly.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Hmmm... Michael Dorn? Avery Brooks? Chris Judge?
                        sigpic
                        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

I'd love to see Terry O'Quinn portray Merlin. I mean, they've probably already picked out an actor(remember, we saw Merlin in that cauldron thing), but if I had to choose any actor, I'd go with O'Quinn. I loved him the most in Lost and the idea of him and Carlyle(who is basically the John Locke of the OUAT universe anyway) facing off is too awesome.
                          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Morgan Freeman or Samuel L. Jackson - if they could afford either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              Morgan Freeman or Samuel L. Jackson - if they could afford either of them.
                              So let me get this right, the voice of God himself playing Merlin.......

I can see that happening

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                                I'm okay with pacific islander. Female is just you being silly.
                                I am not though. Butchering a character by making him another ethnicity, just to (IMO) appease people (which is what this smacks as to my perception) is something i have come to hate. Its why a lot of modern TV comedies i don't watch, cause they all seem to need to have that one gay or transgendered person, to hit a specific 'demographic wicket'.

Comment

Working...
                                X