No announcement yet.

X-Men 4 - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. This will be Wolverine movie number five!

Nice!

Comment

Maybe it's because I was reading the X-Men comics prior to 1975 when the All-New, All-Different X-Men made the scene, but I still wanted the original X-Men for that film.

imagesCAY30YRY.jpg
      sigpic
      Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
        I was very disappointed that X-Men: First Class didn't use the actual first class of...
        Cyclops
        Marvel Girl
        Angel (The real one, Warren Worthington III)
        Iceman
        Beast
        Given that I didn't follow the comic books, this doesn't bother me the least. Besides, none of them were around back then except for Beast. Well, Cyclops was a teenager in 1979, so it's possible he was around as a baby. Even if the movie had taken place closer to now, there's still the issue that Iceman was a teenage boy in the 2000 film. He wouldn't have been born when Cyclops joined Professor X's school in 1979 (X-Men Origins: Wolverine).

Did anyone really expect any of the X-Men films to devoutly follow the comic books? The mediums are so different; I say take the characters, take the stories, and do something new.

Comment

Well the comic book began in 1963 with all of the original X-Men as teen-agers, including Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, Beast & Iceman. X-Men: First Class was a reboot not a sequel, otherwise how was a much older Xavier able to walk into Jean's house in X-3 if the 20 something Xavier was crippled on the beach in XFC?

31429.jpg
          sigpic
          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
            X-Men: First Class was a reboot not a sequel, otherwise how was a much older Xavier able to walk into Jean's house in X-3 if the 20 something Xavier was crippled on the beach in XFC?
            The movie was neither a reboot nor a sequel. It was a prequel to the original trilogy. Yes, Xavior is up and walking in the 1980's (The Last Stand) and 1979 (Wolverine) yet paralyzed in 1962 (First Class). The producers, director, and writers wanted to reinvigorate the X-Men movies. They wanted the movie to end with Magneto turning on Xavior and Xavior subsequently becoming paralyzed from the fallout. This conflicts with the timing of a flashback in the third film and a brief scene in Wolverine, but the production team didn't care. It's called retroactive continuity. Sometimes, you change something in favor of telling a better story. Later stories go with the retcon as if it had always been that way.

Another example of a retcon in First Class is Magneto's helmet. In the original X-Men film, Xavior was surprised that Magneto can block his thoughts. The helmet was a new tool for Magneto's war on humanity. First Class retcons this to Magneto gaining the helmet in 1962.

Sometimes, prequels play fast and loose with continuity because the people who made the older films didn't anticipate prequels.

Comment

And if done right, I am just fine with continuity changes. Especially if the film turns out as good as First Class did.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                Wow. This will be Wolverine movie number five!
                Nice!
                You ain't lying.
                Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                And if done right, I am just fine with continuity changes. Especially if the film turns out as good as First Class did.
                Exactly. As long as the story is good and the changes aren't completely stupid, I'm willing to live with a reboot or preboot or whatever they call them now.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I just want another quality X-Men movie.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I've enjoyed every movie so far, bring on X4!

Comment

Working...
                    X