No announcement yet.

Thor (Marvel Movie) Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think overall I was let down by The Dark World, I much preferred Kenneth Branagh's interpretation of Thor and Asgard over Alan Taylor's.

Spoiler:
    I also thought that there was a much richer storyline behind the Dark Elves of which the surface was barely scratched. I thought it was odd that Thor and Odin seemingly switched attitudes from the first film to the second. In the first, Thor's the ignorant and warmongering son, but in the second film Odin seemed to be the one eager to go to war despite the cost to Asgard and Thor was instead cautioning his father about rushing into it and suggesting they explore alternatives. I found myself thinking "practice what you preach All-Father".

Also, I thought the film was too campy for my taste. I mean, this is Marvel so things generally seem lighter than DC stories, but I felt like the depth of emotion in the more serious scenes wasn't taken deep enough (e.g. Loki's death).

Basically, the characters didn't grow on me the way they did in previous films, some of them were borderline annoying and the story felt completely underdeveloped.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
      I think overall I was let down by The Dark World.
      I myself was very disappointed. When the credits began to roll I was only a little let down, but that grew into more let down and as I thought about it I was even more disappointed. My dislike can be summed up on two fronts:

Spoiler:
      The Loki death deception scene and the scene where they give the Aether Power Stone to The Collector.

The death scene just made no sense because Loki couldn't possibly predict Kurse's actions and he couldn't possibly have dealt with impalement so easily. He couldn't have speared Kurse as an illusion and he couldn't have been impaled, create the illusion of death, and magically heal himself. I mean he could have because it is a movie, but that just pushes the level of ridiculous too far.

As far as the stone goes, what possible explanation could there be for giving something so powerful to someone who clearly did not have their trust? My only thoughts are that it is a setup up that will be revealed in another movie, i.e. it really isn't a Power Stone.

These are just big examples of my overall disappointment with how the movie turned out. Was it entertaining? Yes it was entertaining. Was it a good story? It could have been but for glaring issues like the two that I mentioned. Is it worth seeing in 3D? I didn't really feel like it added a lot to the experience, but maybe I am just getting used to seeing things in 3D.

On a scale of one to ten:

Cast - 8/10
      Plot - 5/10
      Action - 7/10
      Script - 7/10

Comment

As far as the giving the collector that stone, perhaps the Asgardians felt that since the collector has never been robbed, he was more of a shoehorn for safeguarding it than they were.

Comment

Y'all are harsh. I quite enjoyed the movie.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            As far as the giving the collector that stone, perhaps the Asgardians felt that since the collector has never been robbed, he was more of a shoehorn for safeguarding it than they were.
            I came away with that impression as well. Granted, the two Frost Giant incursions into Asgard in the first film were inside jobs, but that they were pulled off at all probably gave a few people pause. But then,
            Spoiler:
            that begs the question of who gave the order to stash the Aether with the Collector. Odin, or Loki posing as Odin? And if it was Loki, one has to wonder if he's still working for Thanos...

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            Y'all are harsh. I quite enjoyed the movie.
            As did I.
            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm. . . . . I didn't consider the "Who gave the order?" angle. WELL PLAYED ! ! !

Comment

When it comes to Loki's role in the film,

Spoiler:
                I never had a problem with how he faked his death even though it wasn't 100% clear exactly how he would have been able to do it. What I had a problem with was buying that he was able to overpower Odin and hide the body and take his place all without somebody else noticing. In the comic books, Odin is by far the most powerful character that has ever appear in any of the MCU movies. I think if they all had their comic book level of strength, if all the characters who ever appeared in the the 8 movies, including Thanos teamed up to fight Odin they'd probably lose.

Obviously in the movie universe that would be changed in the films and even among all the toned down hero and villians, some have been toned down relative to others (as evidenced by the Destroyer). Still, I'd kinda gotten the impression that Odin was supposed to be a big deal in the movie version of Asgard and that Loki shouldn't have been able to defeat him so easily even with a surprise attack. It also makes his brainless tactic of just standing their and ranting at the Hulk without even trying to defend himself at the end of Avengers even more out of character. Even though narrative I knew both things were about to happen in their respective films.
                Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 27 November 2013, 04:22 PM.
                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Perhaps odin has gone into one of his long slumbers due to mourning his wife's death.. and that's why he has not stopped Loki acting as him..?

Comment

This was quite possibly my favourite of the Marvel Universe films to date, with the exception of The Avengers.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      This was quite possibly my favourite of the Marvel Universe films to date, with the exception of The Avengers.

^I pretty much feel the same.
                      sigpic

Comment

I finally got a chance to see it. I enjoyed this movie though I was confused by the end. How could Loki survive that, as other people said he would have no idea that the guy was going to stab him. And so did he kill Orin, if so how? I wish they had showed this scene

other then that and the disappointing after credit scene. The movie was good. I enjoyed how it showed more of Asgard's average citizens (well until it was destroyed) and the scene where Jane meant his parents.
                        sigpic

Comment

I think the Odin/ Loki end scene was to set up for Thor 3. If there will be one.

One thing I was wondering since seeing both movies. If Thor is leader of his warrior group... is Sif second in command? It sorta seemed like she was, but more so in the second movie.
                          sigpic
                          Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Jane is an annoying character....... Thor should be with Lady Sif.

On the second movie what is with the animated opening and closing credits? It kind of spoils the movie for me.
                            Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                              I think the Odin/ Loki end scene was to set up for Thor 3. If there will be one.
                              What would they make it about though?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                What would they make it about though?
                                Something cool from Norse mythology? One of the comic characters?
                                sigpic
                                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Working...
                                X