No announcement yet.

The Avengers (Marvel) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't even know that 'larger demographics' holds water, to be honest. I was four years old when the Burton/Keaton Batman movie came out, and watched it over and over. And TAS. And even the Adam West series. Superheroes are superheroes, regardless of the lighting or colour palette; they're meant to appeal to large audiences, or else they wouldn't sell and their franchise would die off.

However, turning a bit more back on topic:

This past weekend, The Avengers raked in enough more cash to bring it up to the 9th highest-grossing film of all time. Sitting below it now are Star Wars Episode I (10), Alice in Wonderland (11), The Dark Knight (12), and Harry Potter 1 (13). Still sitting above it are Pirates 4 (8) and Toy Story 3 (7) (Table of positions here). Note that these stats don't account for inflation.

I also came across an interesting look by Hollywood Reporter on some of the factors that likely have played a role in The Avengers' stunning success.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

And has now moved up to #6 highest-grossing of all time. Holy crap!

(Again, not adjusted for inflation)
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        And has now moved up to #6 highest-grossing of all time. Holy crap!

(Again, not adjusted for inflation)
        Beat me to posting that.
        How much more is this film going to make???

Comment

It will probably level off soon. We are aproaching Week 3 for domestic.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

I rather liked it. I wish I'd seen some of the other movies.

Spoiler:
            My favourite part was when Loki called himself a god, then the Hulk smashed him into the floor... calling him a puny god. It made everyone in the theatre laugh.
            sigpic
            Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

just saw it . i really felt like a nerd, since i somewhat forced my boyfreind to go with me, and i knew more than he did about the comic movies, since he hadn't seen any but iron man (i'm a girl fyi). so i was worried that he'd be confused, but he said he really enjoyed it.

anyhow great movie, i loved all the character reactions, expecially tony with any of the characters lol. i really hope they make a sequal.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                I rather liked it. I wish I'd seen some of the other movies.

Spoiler:
                My favourite part was when Loki called himself a god, then the Hulk smashed him into the floor... calling him a puny god. It made everyone in the theatre laugh.
                Spoiler:
                same in my theatre lol. and most of what Tony said. and the part where captian america is like "i get it!" to the fly-monkeys

also can anyone tell me what the last scene was after the credits?
                Last edited by blueray; 18 May 2012, 08:15 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

The post-credits scene was

Spoiler:
                  The team sitting in a little shwarma joint, eating in silence. Nobody says a word. Ruffalo is clearly trying not to laugh, as Hemsworth is taking GIGANTIC bites out of his food

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    same in my theatre lol. and most of what Tony said. and the part where captian america is like "i get it!" to the fly-monkeys

Spoiler:
                    Tony was hilarious. I somehow missed the shawarma thing.

Now I must watch Ironman.
                    sigpic
                    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

The post-credits scene was

Spoiler:
                      The team sitting in a little shwarma joint, eating in silence. Nobody says a word. Ruffalo is clearly trying not to laugh, as Hemsworth is taking GIGANTIC bites out of his food
                      The one I saw was different. Like the previous movies post-credit scene, it is related to what happens next. But it was nice of them to take the Wolverine route and do something different at the end.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        The one I saw was different. Like the previous movies post-credit scene, it is related to what happens next. But it was nice of them to take the Wolverine route and do something different at the end.
                        Both of those scenes were there. The foreshadowing one was in the middle of the credits though.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                          Both of those scenes were there. The foreshadowing one was in the middle of the credits though.
                          Yeah...people need to learn what "after the credits" or "post credits" means.
                          The graphical "credits" showing the main cast aren't what I would ever consider "after the credits" and it baffled me to see people leave after them. It's like they've never been to a Marvel movie before.

I've said credits so many times now that it sounds unnatural and the wrong word now...ever have that happen?

I very much enjoyed the movie. I absolutely loved the way Whedon did his thing...not a whole bunch of action at the start, but really laying the foundation for the characters and the rest of the movie. The man knows how to write. I hope he'll get some more long overdue credit as a filmmaker. Joss is the man.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by dacooker
                          The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

I assume you're referring to the mid-credits scene, the one that hints to the next Avengers film. I was talking about the post-credits scene. AFAIK Europe didn't get both; the post- scene is just in North America.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                              Yeah...people need to learn what "after the credits" or "post credits" means.
                              The graphical "credits" showing the main cast aren't what I would ever consider "after the credits" and it baffled me to see people leave after them. It's like they've never been to a Marvel movie before.
                              Don't be a dick.

I assume you're referring to the mid-credits scene, the one that hints to the next Avengers film. I was talking about the post-credits scene. AFAIK Europe didn't get both; the post- scene is just in North America.
                              I'm talking about post credits too. I sat through the entire credit sequence and there was no mid credit sequence at all, just a post credit scene involving what should lead into Avengers 2. It would seem that our post credits sequence was turned into a mid-credits scene for elsewhere and you the extra shawarma tacked on at the end.

I know Whedon said his original cut was 3 hours, but that seems like a stupid thing to change for the UK.

sigpic

Comment

I'm talking about post credits too. I sat through the entire credit sequence and there was no mid credit sequence at all, just a post credit scene involving what should lead into Avengers 2. It would seem that our post credits sequence was turned into a mid-credits scene for elsewhere and you the extra shawarma tacked on at the end.
                                Then they've just put them in different spots for our respective releases. In the North American release, the 'tease' for Avengers 2 came at the end of the comic-stylized credits, played, and then the traditional white text scrolling credits rolled. At the end of that was the shwarma scene.

Comment

Working...
                                X