No announcement yet.

Fantastic Four (2005)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One part I did remember laughing at was when Alba showed up in the suit and it turned out he was more interested in the material than her in it. I thought it was going to one of those cliched gawky moments and it turned out to be a geeky moment instead.

As for the bad reviews... well the review my newspaper panned it for being effects focused and how they didn't focus on the dysfunctional family routine.

I thought they did the dysfunctional family thing well. How often do you see superheroes having a fistacuffs out in public with each other rather than the villian.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic
      If so many people liked this movie, why are the critics panning it so much? Are film critics just that pretentious or something? I really don't get the negative critic reaction vs. positive general public reaction.
      Haven't you gotten it by now? Critics are like... 10 percent right of the time. They probably look for only the cons of the movie and never even think about looking for the pros. MSN did give it 3 in half stars, which isnt too bad since MSN usually gives most movies bad ratings...

Wow, i just love the Storm family. Haha... Imo, they had the best moments in the movie. Johny naming the team, "Invisible Girl" and then Sue throws a little fit about that.
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I do believe it was filmed in Vancouver or thereabout....

Terry David Mulligan was one of the newsies asking them questions...the former Much Music Much West VJ...and i don't think he travels to california/ny that much...prefers to stay home.
        Thanks!
        Jordan

my page
        My LJ
        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
          I think it's the kinda movie you watch, but then forget about. I'm struggling to remember bits of the story and what came where even though I just saw it last night.

The effects for the Human Torch was well done, but Mr Fantastic kinda looked flat and cartoonish, not to mention a little bit freaky (though how to portray stretchy human realistically is beyond me).

Was it shot in Canada? Cause I saw some Stargate guest stars, there was that General from Prodigy, Robert Rothman and Priest Elosha from BSG.
          Yes most of it was filmed in Vancouver - When I was at the Vancouver Stargate Con in April I did the set tour. They had signs in the parking lot for Fantastic Four. I asked Matin Gero about them and he said that they did a little filming at Bridge Studios and they had a post production team working out of Bridge Studio to finish the film. Dan Shea (Sgt. Siler) was a stuntman in the movie. He was telling my table about one of the scenes that he did Friday night at the Burbank Con. I have not seen the movie yet but I hope to go see it tomorrow.
          My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
            Yes most of it was filmed in Vancouver - When I was at the Vancouver Stargate Con in April I did the set tour. They had signs in the parking lot for Fantastic Four. I asked Matin Gero about them and he said that they did a little filming at Bridge Studios and they had a post production team working out of Bridge Studio to finish the film. Dan Shea (Sgt. Siler) was a stuntman in the movie. He was telling my table about one of the scenes that he did Friday night at the Burbank Con. I have not seen the movie yet but I hope to go see it tomorrow.
            Can you tell us about the stunt, I'm curious to see if I remember it.

Comment

Another case of the bad guy outshining the good guys...or gals; much like the earlier Batman movies. Doom is an excellent baddie, and probably where the Emperor and Anubis got their fashion tips.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

A definate step above the 1994 film ... I still gag watching that one.
                The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                  Another case of the bad guy outshining the good guys...or gals; much like the earlier Batman movies. Doom is an excellent baddie, and probably where the Emperor and Anubis got their fashion tips.
                  He is a good bad guy! But throughout the movie, all i could feel towards Doom was depression! His life was going downhill... Wah. i felt bad for him.

Comment

Here's why I think the critics disliked it. They compaired it to Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman Begins, and thought the FF story was lightweight in comparison. It just shows that the critics don't know comic books. I thought the film was written very faithfully to how the comic books is, and always has been written. It's always been lighter. Ben and Johnny always bicker, and Johnny is always trying to pull one over on Ben. Reed has always been the nerd with Sue always trying to push him out of his nerdish science mode. It's a classic 60's comic book thats always retained that feel even though we're 40 years down the road. I loved it and Roger Ebert and Richard Roper can give it thumbs down if they want, but thats because they just don't understand it.
                    Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                    O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                    O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry
                      Here's why I think the critics disliked it. They compaired it to Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman Begins, and thought the FF story was lightweight in comparison. It just shows that the critics don't know comic books. I thought the film was written very faithfully to how the comic books is, and always has been written. It's always been lighter. Ben and Johnny always bicker, and Johnny is always trying to pull one over on Ben. Reed has always been the nerd with Sue always trying to push him out of his nerdish science mode. It's a classic 60's comic book thats always retained that feel even though we're 40 years down the road. I loved it and Roger Ebert and Richard Roper can give it thumbs down if they want, but thats because they just don't understand it.
                      I totally agree with the 'Ebert and Roper' part, their critique's feel uneducated when they are commenting specifically on comic book movies. I have nothing against Spiderman 2, but i am one of those few who really thought it wasn't the greatest movie that people think/thought it was. I can go on with my negativity, but that would just make me look like an ugly person...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry
                        It's a classic 60's comic book thats always retained that feel even though we're 40 years down the road.
                        That's the amazing thing about Fantastic Four. So many comic books have gotten darker over the years. During the 1990s, when Spawn became such a huge hit, the folks at Marvel were under the impression that darkness sells. A ton of other titles became darker, grittier, and less innocent. To this day, a lot of comics haven't recovered.

Fantastic Four stayed true to form. It never swayed away from what it originally was: the story of a weird family with superpowers. It's fun, light-hearted, and wacky. Not too long ago, I was reading a Fan4 graphic novel where the first very thing you see is Johnny refuse to give Ben his paycheck everyday for a full week, followed by Ben dropping a giant water-balloon on Johnny-- a water balloon bigger than the Thing himself.

The sad thing is, darkness does sell with movie critics. Million Dollar Baby was among the most depressing movies released last year, and it took home half of the Oscars. Ebert hated the first Spider-Man movie, but loved the depressing, angst-filled sequel.
                        It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

That's what I've always remembered about the Fantastic Four too... from years ago... I've always thought that it was a light-hearted, mischievous comic book with lots of banter. In fact, I seem to remember that Spiderman had quite a bit of banter too. While I loved Spiderman 2 as a film, it lacks the levity I remember -- the bad puns, cheesy throwaway lines that went back and forth between Spidey and villian of the week.

While I loved Batman Begins, I don't think it is necessarily for everyone. I think it is entirely appropriate for Batman to be grim and realistic considering his backstory. But if every comic book adaptation is going to be angsty and gritty, what are parents going to take their kids to?

Its box office position has defied critical reception overall. People seem to know what they like. After the harrowing WOTW and the angsty Batman Begins (both decent films in their own right), the public seems to be looking for something on the lighter side.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I saw it and I liked it. I did think it was more comicbooky then Xmen or BB but hey its based on a lighter comic book so what do you expect. If I had to chose between seeing this again or WOTW again I would see this. I just had more fun with this movie.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                              I saw it and I liked it. I did think it was more comicbooky then Xmen or BB but hey its based on a lighter comic book so what do you expect. If I had to chose between seeing this again or WOTW again I would see this. I just had more fun with this movie.
                              I think i would too as well. I can just take so much of Dakota F.'s screaming.

Comment

Working...
                              X