The Other 48 Days (207)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheObiJuan
    Also in the teaser, A.L. shoots the gun after shooting Shannon. I thought there was only one bullet in the gun??
    There was. Either this is a continuity problem or Ana-Lucia has another trick up her sleeve...

We learn some things about the Others, though. They're taking people who are "good." I had a theory that the Others took Walt because they thought they needed to protect him for some reason, and that theory seems to have some weight. They thought they were rescuing Walt. We've seen through the flashbacks of our main castaways that all of our main characters have some hidden sin that they must atone for (ironically, Locke may be the most innocent of them all). So the Others didn't take them. Either that, or the tail-end survivors just had the misfortune of landing closer to the Others than the midsection survivors.

Also, it looked to me like the Others that Echo killed were wearing medical scrubs or some variation of it. Perhaps they were Dharma Intiative test subjects? Perhaps their rebellion and escape into the Island interior is the "incident" mentioned in the filmstrip?

I realized now I have misjudged Michelle Rodriguez. I thought she only had two facial expressions. It turns out she actually has FOUR. So she's twice the actress I thought she was.

Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
    What have these years left to me?
    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

I'd like to know what he carved on his Stick of Silence. I've been wondering if he's Aborigine or if that's just more misdirection and he's actually the CEO of some Fortune 500 company or something. And was his vow of silence part of some ritual, or just that he didn't have anything to say?

Comment

I thought the episode was OK, but way too much of it was them telling us things we already knew. The bit with Goodwin was slightly enlightening about the others though.

The trailer for next week almost seemed to me like Ana somehow got a hold of Sayid's gun...

It's too bad because after this episode I still wanted Sayid to shoot her a few times.

Jack also seemed alot calmer at the news of Shannon's death than he was when Boone died - even though now he knows who was responsible.

Comment

Couldn't find much in Greek mythos about a one-eyed god. The closest I came was the Cyclops. However, cross-referencing that with constellations, some sites say that Apollo shot at the Cyclops, but other accounts reference Heracles shooting Zeus's eagle.

One site said the arrow is aimed at Cygnus. Fascinating...

Comment

I found this interesting although a little slow.

I do have a little more sympathy for Ana Lucia now, although I still think she's a little hard-edged. Still, she really cared about the kids, and her promise to the little girl seems to be what's driving her. As to what she did for a living, I think she's had some military/survivalist training in the past. She's in really good physical shape, she knew CPR, how to get Bernard out of the tree, and what the knife was.

I'm loving Mr. Eko. He's just way too cool. He must be some kind of religious dude, hence his comment to Bernard that he would pray for Rose and for a rescue and his silence for "40 days" (a significant number in the Bible), and the way he handled the Bible they found in the bunker.

Bernard is very sweet. I can see why Rose loves him so much. Can't wait to see that reunion.

Also, am I the only one thinking that Goodwyn might actually be Kevin, the guy that was originally partnered with Desmond. If not, I still think he was definitely part of the Dharma project, especially given his comment that the ones not taken weren't good enough. And I agree with whoever said that was pretty creepy.

This definitely would have benefitted from being a two-parter, but I don't know if I could take much more of ignoring our other castaways from the mid-section.

Next week's ep looks really good and intense. Can't wait to see the showdown between Sayid/Ana.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
              Next week's ep looks really good and intense. Can't wait to see the showdown between Sayid/Ana.
              Ah, they'll get on just fine together. After all, they have so much in common.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
                Bernard is very sweet. I can see why Rose loves him so much. Can't wait to see that reunion.
                that's most definitely going to be the best part of next week!
                i loved the eko/ana crying scene. i thought it was touching.
                i don't think that eko made a vow of silence. i think that he was in shock from having killed two people. unless in his religion you have to take a vow of silence after killing people
                and i really liked Ana. i thought it was so sad when the kids got taken.
                i can't wait for libbly and locke to meet. since locke is the resident psychiatrist on the other side of the island, i wonder if they'll have things in common, or if libby will know there's something wrong with locke, etc.
                Save us from danger, save us from evil
                Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Oh Libby could write a frigging doctorate thesis on Locke, man...
                  Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                  I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                  What have these years left to me?
                  Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                    Ah, they'll get on just fine together. After all, they have so much in common.

You know you're right. Given their propensity for shooting and torturing people, they'll probably become soul mates if they don't kill each other first.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cinephilic TV Addict
                      Also, anybody notice the count error? There were 23 tail survivors, according to a previous episode, but we only saw 20 people survive/get taken/get killed. 3 people were missing. Seems like a really bad mistake in a show that places so much emphasis on a series of six numbers…

Well, I wasn't really paying attention to the count, but did you count the dead people Mr. Ecko pulled out of the water? I think I saw three bodies. Also when they were burying broken leg guy I think I counted seven graves total, so maybe some people died and they just didn't show it.

Did anyone see what Mr. Ecko was writing on his stick? The writers said in a tvguide interview
                      Spoiler:
                      that it was very important
                      . And to the person who thought he was a CEO type, he was in a business suit when he crashed, but he also appears to be a tracker when he went out with Jin. And anyone else confused as to why Mr. Ecko wouldn't try and grab the kids (with the bear) when he saw them in the woods with the Others? Even if he was outnumbered, the driving force of that group had been to get the kids... and he didn't even tell anyone when he got back with Ana-Lucia.

And can somebody explain the Apollo connection again with the swan and Shark? I got the whole Arrow of Apollo thing in this episode, but I still don't understand how it connects with a swan or shark.

On a final note: Anyone else feel that the whole "extended" episode part was a big crock? All it was was a recap of the last episode!
                      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                        Couldn't find much in Greek mythos about a one-eyed god. The closest I came was the Cyclops. However, cross-referencing that with constellations, some sites say that Apollo shot at the Cyclops, but other accounts reference Heracles shooting Zeus's eagle.

Thanks a lot. You mention the Greek mythology and I can't think about anything else. So, here's what I've come up with. I just have some facts, but I can't put them together for any meaning.

Constellations: Cygnus (the swan), Lyra (also known as the vulture), Aquila (the eagle), Sagitta (the arrow)

The brightest stars in the first three listed make up the Summer Triangle. They are Deneb (in Cygnus), Vega (in Lyra), Altair (in Aquila).

Sagitta is inside the Summer Triangle.

According to one website (http://www.seds.org/Maps/Const/const_family.html), these constellations are part of the Hercules Family. If you look at the mythological backgound on the page for Cygnus, it says: "Cygnus, the swan, is one of the the two birds (Aquila, the eagle, is the second), which are hunted by Hercules. Yet it seems that the two birds were lucky and have escaped. It is assumed that these birds (together with a third one, the Vulture - nowadays the constellation Lyra) represent the Stymphalian Birds - one of the tasks of Hercules. "

Now, if you look at the 12 Labors of Hercules, you have: (reference: http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Herakles/labors.html)Like I said before, I can't come up with anything (if any of it is significant) but perhaps you can.
                        No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Man-eating birds? Well, that would fit with the "dark cloud" that Jack and crew saw on their journey to the hatch. And flight could also explain how the pilot ended up at the top of a tree. Somehow, though, I think that it's just a coincidence.

Like I said, it's just kinda random stuff, but I have to believe that it ties together SOMEHOW or why mention it? These aren't Stargate's PTB, you know- when they show/tell you something, it has relevance.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

In relation to the arrow: the hatch that Desmond was in had a swan in the dharma symbol. The hatch found by the tailies had an arrow.
                            Mentally unstable like a fox!!

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Atlantis
                              In relation to the arrow: the hatch that Desmond was in had a swan in the dharma symbol. The hatch found by the tailies had an arrow.
                              Yes. Sorry. I was taking that as a given.

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. I felt that the show has been a little less than stellar recently, but this episode, though not without its problems, is hope for a brighter future for LOST. I really enjoyed everything in this episode about the Others. The conversation with Goodwin was particularly interesting. I think that the Others are experiments left behind by the Dharma folks who are kidnapping people and running their own experiments on them. Their interest in children is probably derived from the fact that they're more easily influenced. I also noticed that Goodwin volunteered to check the radio. I wonder why the Others need one. Mr. Eko (Eiko, Echo, Eco, whatever) is fascinating to me and I think he's the tailies' Locke. They'll probably get along great and I look forward to his back story.

On the other hand, I do feel that the other tailies besides Ana Lucia were underdeveloped, particularly Libby, who I want to more about! I mean, if the next episode is an Ana Lucia episode, then why have two in a row about her. However, I do think it was smart of the producers to show why Ana Lucia killed Shannon especially since people aren't warming to her as much as they'd hoped. I hope that the powers that be will begin moving the show's pace up a bit, seeing as some of the episodes have seemed to crawl recently.
                                Spoiler:
                                Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Working...
                                X