No announcement yet.

Man of Science, Man of Faith (201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a casual viewer of the show - I watch, but am obviously out of touch as I'm like Jater? What's that?

Anyway, was watching it while watching CSI's wonderful two hour episode, and was sorta annoyed that the end of the LOST episode was sooo predictable. Did anybody NOT guess that the guy Jack ran into on the bleachers would be the guy in the bomb shelter place?

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
      It doesn't matter whether it's true of false; it's still really cool that Rousseau's theories are being used in the show.

Now that's true science fiction! <applause!>
      What I mean is, is it from the show, or pure fan-created mumbo jumbo?

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
        Didn't see that twist coming at the end, very surprised by that. I was just like "holy ****" when he said "brother" and realized who it was.
        As soon as I saw him in the stadium with jack and the length of his hair, and that he was training to go around the world, I turned to my wife and "jokingly" said; "that's the guy in the hatch!" Holy sh*t was I surprised!!!

I love the show, and this ep was great. I am glad the writers answered the question of "what" was in the hatch early, and not let it hang in the end.

I still say to myself, I don't see how this can be a show that lasts for several seasons though.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGeak
          As soon as I saw him in the stadium with jack and the length of his hair, and that he was training to go around the world, I turned to my wife and "jokingly" said; "that's the guy in the hatch!" Holy sh*t was I surprised!!!
          I was thinking he'd be one of the survivors from another part of the plane.

So do you think Hatch Guy is the same guy Jack met in the stadium? Or is it some kind of cloning project?

Comment

I'm guessing it is because I haven't found anything about a real-life Marseille Roussau. A Jater is someone show is a Jack/Kate Shipper, or someone who wants to see Jack and Kate get into a relationship. Skater is someone who supports a Swayer and Kate pairing.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              So do you think Hatch Guy is the same guy Jack met in the stadium? Or is it some kind of cloning project?
              I never gave cloning a thought, but it could make sense. If he "stadium guy" was some intense training athelete, then he could have been selected for a cloning project by the military. OR, he is the same guy and he was training for some project which brought him to the island.

The question that I keep asking myself is what is the hatch part of:

A bunker deliberately built underground for some project?
              A "craft" of some kind that crashed and was salvaged to created a bunker? (The room with the computers seemed "helm like")

And lastly, where is it getting power from?

Comment

Thought I would just throw this out. But DESMOND means:

Desmond
                Name Gender: Male
                Name Meaning: Gracious Protector
                Name Origin: Anglo Saxon

Gracious Protector, interesting, yes interesting indeed......

Comment

Originally posted by manybleemsago
                  Unless his destiny is to become the next Hatch Guy? <shivers>

This show is so incredible. We almost didn't get to see it here because of tornado/severe thunderstorm weather. They completely pre-empted the hour long special that ran before the season premiere. Was that any good?
                  The hour before the premiere was basically a recap of the highlights of Season 1. A little boring if you watched the eps several times already or have been watching the DVDs, but it was detailed enough for someone who hadn't watched S1 to understand what was going on.
                  sigpic

Comment

Based on what other people have said on what they think the bunker is used for, I can't wait to see how this pans out. I'm guessing Danielle is not as crazy as she first sounded. In some sense, we're sort of made to believe she killed her fellow crew members because she thought they had become infected by some imaginary illness that was all in her head. As some other people have said, the word quarintine was on the inside of the hatch, not the outside, which may mean that anyone on the island was quarantined and not the contents of the bunker itself.

Dresdon mentioned he almost became a doctor. I'm guessing it may have somthing to do with this, whatever this is. At first I was thinking that maybe he was placed there to monitor this disease or plague that was quarantined on the island, but that seems kind of silly. He seems to be a very adament about excercise and training, which I guess is something more than just wanting to keep in shape (though I guess locked up in an underground bunker makes it difficult to get outdoor excercise). As soon as Dresdon said the line "See you in another life time" during the flashback, I knew he was the bunker guy. I'm still confuse on the whole time concept. When we saw the flashbacks to when Jack was treating his future ex-wife, he was made to look much younger. Now we know a year later he eventually marries her and they sepperate/ get divorced, but how much time was that? Was it about 16 years, or less?

Originally posted by tomduo
                    The magnetic source in the hatch could be a nuclear reactor, or something else. It could be why the compasses are off upon the Island.
                    You know I completely forgot about that. When I went to bed later after watching Lost, I had a dream about this strong magnetic field inside an underground tunnel that was used as a security system. I completely forgot about that scene and the dream untill I read your post.
                    Last edited by VirtualCLD; 22 September 2005, 11:31 AM.

Comment

There has been speculation that the island is more like "Island of Dr. Moreau". Scientist tinkering with DNA/nature, with disasterous results.

Wonder if Desmond is living alone underground, or if he has pals around somewhere (the "others"?). Is there another exit to the surface? Is he "observing" our survivors? What's in Desmond's drug stash and what happens when he runs out of it? How extensive is that bunker? What is the magnetic catch? Is there nuclear power? What other record albums does Desmond have?

Dang. .I want answers, dammit! This show drives ya nuts.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Desmond could have ended up on the Island on his "race around the world" and been infected with the same disease or maybe brought the disease to Rossauo(thats not spelled right but o well, u know wat i mean) and the other people on the Black Rock. Maybe what he injected himself with was a cure for the disease. Still so many questions though ahhhhhhhhh
                        Mentally unstable like a fox!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          The set-up of the place is very sixties in terms of tech and accoutrements, but now we know the guy has only been down there for a couple of years at most. The hypospray thing was rather more modern, though. Or did they have those back then?
                          I wouldn't say a couple of years at most. If he met Jack about 3-6 years before Jack was married. The marriage lasted for 3-6 years and jack was divorced for 3-6 years it could have been much longer...I would say he met jack atleast 10 years prior to this. Possibly more...also...both of the characters look much older now than they did then.

I'm very anxious to learn more about what is down there!
                          sigpic

Comment

Really fantastic episode. The Lost writers have a great talent for finally answering questions and revealing mysteries in a way that only prompts 10 more questions and deepens the same mysteries. We're left satisfied yet desperate for more!

The title really set us up for a Jack vs. Locke story, or at least a contrast. Season One ended with Locke observing that Jack is a "man of science," while he himself is a "man of faith." Jack ends with the ominous note to Kate that, if they survive the night, "We're going to have a Locke problem." Yet the episode isn't about that -- it's entirely about Jack. Maybe Jack is the man of science and the man of faith, as he is prompted by his father, his encounter with Desmond, and his entire experience with the paralyzed Sarah to look for hope in the midst of hopelessness -- to look for the miraculous and unexplainable.

The teaser blew me away. What a brilliant and brash way to show that there really is some sort of secret installation buried on the island, with at least one guy living down there. It's obviously run-down and virtually abandoned, filled with 60s-level tech -- except the stash of high-powered weapons. There is a powerful magnetic source -- is this what brought the plane down? Is it part of the defense system?

Who the heck is Desmond? Why is he living down there? Is he alone? Is he one of "the Others?" Is he really the same guy that Jack met years earlier? How long has he been there? Does he even know the island is recently populated with plane crash survivors? Is it yet another giant coincidence, or is it evidence that someone(s) deliberately brought these people here to the island for some unknown purpose(s)?

It's interesting that the word "QUARANTINE" is on the inside of the hatch. What that implies is that the island, and not the underground facility, was at one point under quarantine. Rousseau spoke of a sickness that took the members of her expedition. Could the facility have been built as a protected research station to study the illness? Perhaps the drug he is taking is a daily treatment to boost his immunity to it, a la radiation meds.

Me -- I'm convinced now that someone has deliberately worked in the pre-crash lives of our heroes in order to orchestrate their being on Flight 815, to bring them there for something. But I don't think Desmond is one of "the Others." I'm sticking with my "secret black ops military installation" theory for the island and the Others.
                            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Hi guys, my first post go easy.

After getting over the excitement of watching a brand new episode of Lost last night something occurred to me. During Jack’s first flashback when the two crash victims are brought into hospital, the male patients surname (who immediately dies) is Rutherford. Isn’t Shannon’s surname Rutherford? Could this be her Father, after all we know very little about her, other than her and Boone had different Dad’s!

May be nothing, but knowing this program....

Also, did anyone else find it funny how different Shannon’s hair was since the end of Season one, it seems to be twice as long.

Brilliant episode, awesome television, how I am supposed to wait a week for the next one.

Comment

If the crash victim's surname was the same as Shannon's, I'd say it definitely wasn't a coincidence.

Does anyone have good screencaps of the twins from the raft? The ones who took Walt? All I remember is that they were shaggy-headed like Desmond, but I think their hair was in worse condition.

Originally posted by Darren
                                Jack ends with the ominous note to Kate that, if they survive the night, "We're going to have a Locke problem."
                                Good catch, Darren. So does that mean there's going to be a Locke problem or a faith problem? Probably both, knowing this show.

Comment

Working...
                                X