No announcement yet.

Man of Science, Man of Faith (201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked this episode immensly. Desmond inside of the hatch in his yuppie 1970s appartment was a shock. With all that stuff there, he must have been there a VERY long time. OR here's a thought, the island is making jack see desmond there. It wouldn't be the first time it happened, jack did think he saw his dad. The whole theme for the episode seemed to focus on jack's ability to lead and to heal. How does desmond fit into that?

Comment

So far so good show kept me intrested kept my eyes on TV whole time except during comericals. Shoot i still want to find out what the hell is with the chain thing poor Kate. Cant wait till next week, guess Walt does have ESPn.

Comment

Originally posted by Congerking
        I liked this episode immensly. Desmond inside of the hatch in his yuppie 1970s appartment was a shock. With all that stuff there, he must have been there a VERY long time. OR here's a thought, the island is making jack see desmond there. It wouldn't be the first time it happened, jack did think he saw his dad. The whole theme for the episode seemed to focus on jack's ability to lead and to heal. How does desmond fit into that?
        Desmond gave Jack the true inkling that there is hope. Before he met him, Jack had horrible bedside manner, and disliked hope. He was very scientific, though Locke's words rang true; "You believe in Miracles, you just don't know it yet." After meeting Desmond (look up his name's meaning, you'll find it is interesting) Jack is told that he might have cured Sara. Surely enough, when he returns to her, and pours out his failures, she reveals he did not fail afterall. A miracle happened, one Jack forgot about perhaps.

Locke was sort of underplayed in this episode. While I realize this was all about Jack, Locke became weak. The title led me to hope that they would share perspectives in this episode. I hope Ep. 2 shows things from Locke's perspective, including perhaps his meeting with Desmond inside the hatch, and how he knows that Kate is ok.

Comment

Loved this ep. In typical Lost fashion it seems like tons happened when really it was very little. Plus I think I might be even more confused now than before.

I had an inkling Desmond was Hatch Guy when he said "See you in another life." That came off mega creepy.

Can't wait for next week! I'm dying to know about Sawyer, Jin and Michael (hopefully we'll get something on Walt too).

Comment

So do you think that this theoretical second group of survivors will have started off at sixty? Combined with the 48 from "our" camp, that adds up to 108.

Anyone have screencaps of the mural? And is there significance to the number being written on a sun or is that too literal an interpretation?

Comment

About Sara's spinal injuries... I know doctors can be wrong about some things, but Jack acted like he was certain about the extent of the damage, there. Does anyone suppose what happened to Sara is related to what happened to John Locke?

True, Locke didn't start walking til he got to the island, but, consider: Desmond is on the island, and he was in the vicinity of Sara's hospital the day her spine healed.

What did Desmond mean by "I was almost a doctor, once?" Is he an adult version of Walt? Can he make things happen?

All I can say is, I'm glad this is the first ep of the season and not the cliffhanger.
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Oh man. This show makes me want to scream sometimes. Just when you think you've figured things out they hit you with 50 other questions.

Isn't Sara the person Jack married in one of the flashbacks last year?

I was very surprised that Locke had Kate go down first. He could have tied the cable to the ladder to begin with, like he did after she disappeared. After all he was the one who was so hyped up to go down there.

The beginning was definitely a surprise. I was trying to figure out who this guy was and was I actually watching Lost or was this an advertisement for a new show.

Didn't get the connection that Desmond was the guy in the hatch until right at the end when he stepped out and called Jack "brother". So that was a shocker.

Can't wait until next week to find out what happened to the raft people.
                sigpic

Comment

I was so shocked when Desmond was in the hatch, probably because when the show cut to that flashback, I was pissed when it went away from the main story. I don't think that Jack is a pessimist at all, he is a realist. It's just as dangerous to be foolishly optimistic as it is to be foolishly pessimistic. Sometimes miracles happen, but the chances are extremely slim, and 99% of people in similar situations don't have a miracle. If i ever hear that song again that was playing in the hatch I know I am going to get shivers down my spine!

Also, about the numbers I read an interesting post on the ABC message boards.

I recently found an interesting natuarlly occuring thoery found in our world that states everyone has a mirror image somewhere in the world. You may have heard of this. Its called Roussau's genetic mirror theory, and I must say it is very interesting. Roussau's genetic mirror theory says that everyone in the world has an exact twin somewhere, however according to the theory you never encounter this person, by laws of probablitly and other natuaral occuring phemnomen. Its the theory that was devised by a French Mathematician named Marseille Roussau in the year 1988. He used a series of numbers to explain his theory. Now I know you're not going to believe this but here goes.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Let me explain...

The 4 stands for 4 degrees of separation (not 6 or 7 as commonly stated.) Roussau believed that everyone in the world was connected by four different people. So in theory could meet yourself by using four different people connected to you. Example: Your brother's, boss's, neighbor nephew, knows your mirror. Hard to believe, I know but keep reading.

The 8 stands for the eight continent, or the only place in the world where you could meet your mirror. He calculated it to be somewhere in the south pacific. Now we know its not actually as large as the other contintents but its used figurtively because everyone in all 7 continents could meet there mirror on the 8th universal continent.

The 15 stands for the chances of you acually meeting yourself on this place, as in 15 out of 4,815,162,342. Look at the second set "815." Ring any bells? Interesting huh?

The 16 stands for the maximum amount of people that could encounter thier twin all at the same time. Think about the number of main characters.

The 23 is the number of years apart your twin and yourself are. You are not the same age as your twin. By chance and probablity it takes 23 years exactly for the same genes that made you to be connected again to form another you.

The 42 stands for the maximimum number of years your twin and yourself can be alive at the same time. However people do die at diffferent times so thats why everyone isn't dead at 75. For example my twin was born on Sept. 6 2003 b/c i was born on Spet. 6 1980. Now that doesn't mean i will die in the year 2045, I could, but its not set in stone. My twin could die when he is 16, and then the whole thing starts over again.

This is all very complicated and I don't know how well I explained it but the connections with the show are too coinidental to not be real.

Roussau and his team (wife, included) went to the 8th continent. You can figure out how they died and why by the numbers and equations. It also fits with every character. You can predict when they will die. There are others on the island who are twins of the survivors, but have been there 23 years longer.

There is a book Roussau wrote 16 years ago in 1988 when he came up with the theory. Thats where I got it from.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    It's times like this I wish I knew how to lip read. *sigh*
                    Was checking out TheFuselage this morning, but it kept crashing (everyone wants info I guess). I did see a discussion thread on Walt where folks say he is speaking backwards. If you can run the scene backwards, you'll know what he said.

Spoiler:
                    "Don't touch the button. The button is bad"

I dont' have any way to verify, but Desmond does say something to Jack when they meet in the hatch - that is similar.
                    Spoiler:
                    Jack goes to touch a key on the computer, and Desmond says, "I wouldn't do that."

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
                      I was so shocked when Desmond was in the hatch, probably because when the show cut to that flashback, I was pissed when it went away from the main story. I don't think that Jack is a pessimist at all, he is a realist. It's just as dangerous to be foolishly optimistic as it is to be foolishly pessimistic. Sometimes miracles happen, but the chances are extremely slim, and 99% of people in similar situations don't have a miracle. If i ever hear that song again that was playing in the hatch I know I am going to get shivers down my spine!

Also, about the numbers I read an interesting post on the ABC message boards.

I recently found an interesting natuarlly occuring thoery found in our world that states everyone has a mirror image somewhere in the world. You may have heard of this. Its called Roussau's genetic mirror theory, and I must say it is very interesting. Roussau's genetic mirror theory says that everyone in the world has an exact twin somewhere, however according to the theory you never encounter this person, by laws of probablitly and other natuaral occuring phemnomen. Its the theory that was devised by a French Mathematician named Marseille Roussau in the year 1988. He used a series of numbers to explain his theory. Now I know you're not going to believe this but here goes.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Let me explain...

The 4 stands for 4 degrees of separation (not 6 or 7 as commonly stated.) Roussau believed that everyone in the world was connected by four different people. So in theory could meet yourself by using four different people connected to you. Example: Your brother's, boss's, neighbor nephew, knows your mirror. Hard to believe, I know but keep reading.

The 8 stands for the eight continent, or the only place in the world where you could meet your mirror. He calculated it to be somewhere in the south pacific. Now we know its not actually as large as the other contintents but its used figurtively because everyone in all 7 continents could meet there mirror on the 8th universal continent.

The 15 stands for the chances of you acually meeting yourself on this place, as in 15 out of 4,815,162,342. Look at the second set "815." Ring any bells? Interesting huh?

The 16 stands for the maximum amount of people that could encounter thier twin all at the same time. Think about the number of main characters.

The 23 is the number of years apart your twin and yourself are. You are not the same age as your twin. By chance and probablity it takes 23 years exactly for the same genes that made you to be connected again to form another you.

The 42 stands for the maximimum number of years your twin and yourself can be alive at the same time. However people do die at diffferent times so thats why everyone isn't dead at 75. For example my twin was born on Sept. 6 2003 b/c i was born on Spet. 6 1980. Now that doesn't mean i will die in the year 2045, I could, but its not set in stone. My twin could die when he is 16, and then the whole thing starts over again.

This is all very complicated and I don't know how well I explained it but the connections with the show are too coinidental to not be real.

Roussau and his team (wife, included) went to the 8th continent. You can figure out how they died and why by the numbers and equations. It also fits with every character. You can predict when they will die. There are others on the island who are twins of the survivors, but have been there 23 years longer.

There is a book Roussau wrote 16 years ago in 1988 when he came up with the theory. Thats where I got it from.
                      I've seen that, but overall I haven't seen anything to prove any of that is true. Have you found a proper source for that information?

Comment

Originally posted by tomduo
                        I've seen that, but overall I haven't seen anything to prove any of that is true. Have you found a proper source for that information?
                        It doesn't matter whether it's true of false; it's still really cool that Rousseau's theories are being used in the show.

Now that's true science fiction! <applause!>
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                          Locke's gotta be pretty crushed by the reality of the hatch. Not exactly the key to his destiny, was it?
                          Unless his destiny is to become the next Hatch Guy? <shivers>

This show is so incredible. We almost didn't get to see it here because of tornado/severe thunderstorm weather. They completely pre-empted the hour long special that ran before the season premiere. Was that any good?

Good sci fi is about special effects. Great sci fi is about people.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                            It doesn't matter whether it's true of false; it's still really cool that Rousseau's theories are being used in the show.

Now that's true science fiction! <applause!>
                            The problem is that I'm not finding any information relating to this theory or even the aforementioned scientist. Maybe a spelling error is keeping me from finding anything but so far google and wiki have turned up nothing.

Comment

well, i think that last night was a big blow to Jaters. (i'm actually a skater). but i think that it's setting up for a blowout between kate and jack. considering that kate went with jack instead of having "jack's back"
                              Save us from danger, save us from evil
                              Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

I DESPISE WORK WITH A FIREY PASSION
                                i had to work during it and know I know i missed a lot

Comment

Working...
                                X