Across the Sea (615)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    i'm not sure how i feel about this episode. i'm sick of more questions being given than answered.

i'm going to ask some questions, and i hope someone(s) can answer them.

1- did jacob accidently kill his brother (when he was floating into the light cave)?

2- did the brother ever actually be given a name?

3- why did the woman have to kill the mother of jacob/brother?

4- is smokey really the brother, or did smokey just take on the image of him?

5- why did the woman/fake mom like brother more? was it be/c he was more inquisitive and she thought he'd make a better island protector candidate?

6- was brother really a bad guy? (he didn't appear to be)

7- what language was fake mother speaking to the real mom? (what was real mom's language?)

i know some of you have asked these questions (i read the thread first), but i might have missed something in the ep, or someone might be reading that has a theory of two of answers.
    1. He inadvertently destroyed his brothers body but not his consciousness.
    2. No.
    3. So she wouldn't take the boys back to her people and corrupt them.
    4. It is really Jacobs brother.
    5. Unsure about this one. I think its more to do with he was special in that he could see the dead etc vis a vis Hurley.
    6. I wouldn't say so, not to begin with. He just wanted the truth and to see the world.
    7. The language to me sounded Spanish perhaps Portuguese.

Comment

You got to wonder about this tunnel of light and how it came about, also why didn't the fake mom give Jacob's twin a name, after she killed the real mother. What was in Jacobs mind when he beat up his brother and pushed him into the tunnel of light,so what actually is the answer here to who is the mib and smokey monster, are they the same or are they different and how so. these are the things we wonder about.

Comment

i'm not sure how i feel about this episode. i'm sick of more questions being given than answered.

i'm going to ask some questions, and i hope someone(s) can answer them.

1- did jacob accidently kill his brother (when he was floating into the light cave)?

2- did the brother ever actually be given a name?

3- why did the woman have to kill the mother of jacob/brother?

4- is smokey really the brother, or did smokey just take on the image of him?

5- why did the woman/fake mom like brother more? was it be/c he was more inquisitive and she thought he'd make a better island protector candidate?

6- was brother really a bad guy? (he didn't appear to be)

7- what language was fake mother speaking to the real mom? (what was real mom's language?)

i know some of you have asked these questions (i read the thread first), but i might have missed something in the ep, or someone might be reading that has a theory of two of answers.
        1. No. They made it clear before he threw him in:

ADAM: You can't kill me Jacob (then something about their mother)
        JACOB: Don't worry, brother. I'm not going to kill you.

2. No but they made a point of showing the clip where Locke called the bodies in the cave Adam and Eve (from season 1) so I'm going with Adam.

3. So she wouldn't come after he kids I'm assuming.

4. Yeah it's still Adam. His soul was just separated from his physical body. (He told Richard that Jacob stole his body in 'Ab Aeterno')

5. He was smarter and seemed to understand things better than Jacob and plus he could see dead people.

6. That's subjective I guess, but not in my eyes. I thought he was pushed into becoming a monster as opposed to just being evil.

7. Some people have said it was Latin which would make sense.
        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I really liked what we saw in this episode. I didn't mind getting more clarification on the lives of Smokey/MIB and Jacob. It was nice that we were given a clearer picture.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The language they were speaking at the beginning was Latin, which indicates she could be anything from Greek/Macedonian, Roman, or even Egyptian. But, she did say her name was Claudia which is purely Roman. I do not believe at the time slaves were given Roman names either, and her dress indicated she certainly was no slave.

Comment

I enjoyed the whole episode.

I liked Allison Janey as the "Mother"

I thought I heard "Zane" or "Thane" as M.i.B's name.

When everyone was *timehopping* wasn't there a statue of Anubis? And Jacob and MIB were sitting at the base of it?
              Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

earlier this season? yeah, there was a time when the boys were at the bast of the statue
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post

When everyone was *timehopping* wasn't there a statue of Anubis? And Jacob and MIB were sitting at the base of it?
                  Yes, it was a statue of Taweret, who was the Egyptian god of fertility and birth.

Comment

This episode really changed the perception of Jacob and MIB, to me.

Jacob pretty much still obey his "mother" while he knows she killed his real mother, and a whole village on the island, all this to protect a light he knows nothing about.

MIB, is much more understandable, he almost seems like the good guy, here, if i didn't know what he did in the last few episodes.

But what i don't understand is why didn't they let him go BEFORE he became the smoke monster. I don't thing it would have destroyed the world then.

Another thing is that i remember there was talk about him being a security system, last year, to protect the temple. It makes very little sense now
                    Last edited by flobo; 13 May 2010, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post

Yeah, the statue was of Taweret. But it actually resembles Sobek more than it does Taweret. It's likely we won't see or learn who built it on the show. Which is probably why the producers hinted that it was the Egyptian's long before this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by flobo View Post
                        This episode really changed the perception of Jacob and MIB, to me.

Jacob pretty much still obey his "mother" while he knows she killed his real mother, and a whole village on the island, all this to protect a light he knows nothing about.

MIB, is much more understandable, he almost seems like the good guy, here, if i didn't know what he did in the last few episodes.

But what i don't understand is why didn't they let him go BEFORE he became the smoke monster. I don't thing it would have destroyed the world then.

Another thing is that i remember there was talk about him being a security system, last year, to protect the temple. It makes very little sense now
                        Rousseau only assumed it was a sercurity system because thats what her boy friend who had the sickness told her.

Comment

Mother didn't know that the boy in black could see dead people. To me, she seemed to love him more because he was the most like her, he was smart and could lie, unlike Jacob, who went along with whatever he was told and couldn't lie.

I don't think that the MIB is evil, like most of the characters on Lost, he's shown to have the ability to do both good and evil. The whole show is about the choices that people make. I think Jacob's actions originally, him being violent and casting his brother into the light, is one of the things that change him into being such a pacifist.
                          It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

After debating over this a few times, I've come up with this:

1. Jacobs brother is smokey, fake-Mom said going into the light was a fate worse than death. I take this to mean that his soul was ripped from his body, also since he was "augmented" by fake-Mom and he "died" in a violent fashion that shaped what his soul looked like, but there is a problem with this scenario....

2. We are assuming that fake-Mom destroyed the wheel cavern and the village. Now the only way she could do that (as she was getting frail) is by blowing it up, or becoming a smokey. We do know that the village was burned, not wrecked like smokey does now. Is it possible she was a fire-monster? The other option is that MIB was smokey prior to the light-bath, being knocked out by fake-Mom and the trauma associated with the betrayal caused him to change in his unconscious state and lash out at the first thing he encountered, which was the village next to him.

3. Fake-Mom said Jacob was "like me now". Now, if you go with the assumption that fake-Mom can go smokey, this could infer that Jacob was a smokey too. SO, does this mean that Jacob was the smokey that killed all the people in the earlier seasons? And if one of the Losties takes over Jacobs place, will they become a smokey and then there will be a Lostie-smokey vs MIB-smokey showdown?

4. I think there is signficance in the fact that fake-Mom was killed prior to her saying anything to MIB. We've seen this theme in the show with people being sent to kill MIB, but I think it is just an assumption that Jacob made and may not be correct.

5. The light, notice how the light is "the warmest light" and "bright" and yellow? The light seen coming from the wheel cavern was the same. But last season with the time travel and all, the light was blue-ish and ice, ice cold (parkas anyone?). Fake-Mom said the light was "life, death, everything". When MIB, who was alive at the time, got pushed into the light, he absorbed the "life" part of the light but being "immortal" (Fake-Mom said she made it they could not die), it caused him to be ripped from his body and become energy/smokey. All that was left was the "death, everything" which is why the light is so cold now.

6. MIB. They said he can't take the shape of his original body anymore. I think I know why. HE took Lockes form since his body was brought to the island, basically, he took a snapshot of the dead lockes form and took it. He did the same thing with his body when he went into the light. He cannot go back to his body since all that is left is bones.

7. Timeline. This is messed up. Real-Mom looked Greek/Roman, the other people looked somewhat Viking/Greek. They had a grasp of metallurgy as they had steel tools and blades. THey also somewhat understood magnetism. So this is somewhere near the end of the bronze age? But Egyptians still need to come to the Island, they build the Temple to Jacob/Smokey and have the smokey shrine underneath with the cravings showing Anubis kneeling to Smokey. The life giving pool appeared to be linked to Jacob as it went "dirty" when he died. Not a history buff, but do these events line up with each other?

Comment

Originally posted by mizzoueng View Post
                              After debating over this a few times, I've come up with this:

1. Jacobs brother is smokey, fake-Mom said going into the light was a fate worse than death. I take this to mean that his soul was ripped from his body, also since he was "augmented" by fake-Mom and he "died" in a violent fashion that shaped what his soul looked like, but there is a problem with this scenario....

2. We are assuming that fake-Mom destroyed the wheel cavern and the village. Now the only way she could do that (as she was getting frail) is by blowing it up, or becoming a smokey. We do know that the village was burned, not wrecked like smokey does now. Is it possible she was a fire-monster? The other option is that MIB was smokey prior to the light-bath, being knocked out by fake-Mom and the trauma associated with the betrayal caused him to change in his unconscious state and lash out at the first thing he encountered, which was the village next to him.

3. Fake-Mom said Jacob was "like me now". Now, if you go with the assumption that fake-Mom can go smokey, this could infer that Jacob was a smokey too. SO, does this mean that Jacob was the smokey that killed all the people in the earlier seasons? And if one of the Losties takes over Jacobs place, will they become a smokey and then there will be a Lostie-smokey vs MIB-smokey showdown?

4. I think there is signficance in the fact that fake-Mom was killed prior to her saying anything to MIB. We've seen this theme in the show with people being sent to kill MIB, but I think it is just an assumption that Jacob made and may not be correct.

5. The light, notice how the light is "the warmest light" and "bright" and yellow? The light seen coming from the wheel cavern was the same. But last season with the time travel and all, the light was blue-ish and ice, ice cold (parkas anyone?). Fake-Mom said the light was "life, death, everything". When MIB, who was alive at the time, got pushed into the light, he absorbed the "life" part of the light but being "immortal" (Fake-Mom said she made it they could not die), it caused him to be ripped from his body and become energy/smokey. All that was left was the "death, everything" which is why the light is so cold now.

6. MIB. They said he can't take the shape of his original body anymore. I think I know why. HE took Lockes form since his body was brought to the island, basically, he took a snapshot of the dead lockes form and took it. He did the same thing with his body when he went into the light. He cannot go back to his body since all that is left is bones.

7. Timeline. This is messed up. Real-Mom looked Greek/Roman, the other people looked somewhat Viking/Greek. They had a grasp of metallurgy as they had steel tools and blades. THey also somewhat understood magnetism. So this is somewhere near the end of the bronze age? But Egyptians still need to come to the Island, they build the Temple to Jacob/Smokey and have the smokey shrine underneath with the cravings showing Anubis kneeling to Smokey. The life giving pool appeared to be linked to Jacob as it went "dirty" when he died. Not a history buff, but do these events line up with each other?
                              1. I think we can assume these things.

2. I don't think she was a 'smokey'. We've already seen that MIB/smokey can't be killed- Sayid tried and failed. We see, though, that Jacob and fake!Mom can both be killed. This has nothing to do with whether they talk first or not- as we see that Jacob said a few words before being killed by Ben in "The Incident".

3. I basically answered this in #2. Jacob and fake!Mom can be killed, and thus, are not 'smokies'.

4. Also answered in #2.

5. I'm not sure how much we can speculate on this point. What we do know is: the wheel started to be built back when MIB was still an actual human, then it was destroyed by fake!Mom. Some time between then and the present, the cavern was rebuilt and put into operation. So who rebuilt it? I hope we find this out.

6. I think this makes sense. Not sure how else it would be explained.

7. Who knows lol. There may be some plot holes here. I hope we get some crazy big answers in the next three eps.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Ugh, you guys.

Honestly, I expected something way more believable and solid that "the light." It's lame. Stupid even. And it kills me to say that because I've been gung-ho LOST for 6 years. Reading every dirty detail, chasing every tiny clue, pouring over every theory. And now - we get...this.

Really, the show gave us very little information.

It showed us the following:
                                1) jacob and the original MiB were brothers.
                                2) the brother and fake mother are the adam and eve from the caves (which anyone with half a mind figured out in the first 10 minutes of the episode).
                                3) Jacob's brother began the process of the frozen donkey wheel contraption.
                                4) Jacob (seemingly) released the smoke monster.
                                5) Some weird, lame, "light" is what the island is either a) protecting, b) embodying

What it DIDN'T tell us is:
                                1) What IS the smoke monster?
                                2) When was this? Pre or post statue-building?
                                3) Where did the fake mother come from - was she alone? The group she killed that MiB ended up with were the other survivors of the shipwreck that brought the pregnant mother there. Are there already "others" there too in addition to them?
                                4) What is the "light?"
                                5) And a slew of others I can't think of right now/

Their fake mother said going into the cave is a fate worse than death - as someone mentioned above. So, technically Jacob didn't kill his brother, but he indirectly did by putting him into the light, and subsequently giving whatever the light was holding a vessel to travel out in. We saw that the smoke deposited the body after it took his soul (probably) and memories. Which is why it was able to talkto Jacob about the past, and take on his brother's form. We know it needs a body to scan or take the residual soul from - which is why it was able to appear as Christian (after finding his body out of the coffin somewhere), and then Yemi, whos body has been there for a number of years, and finally Locke. Remember, the whole thing was it needed Locke's body back on the island so it could use it's form and memories to lead our characters.
                                But we still don't know what it actually is. Is it something like Pandora's Box? Is it all the negative feelings and energy in the world? I don't know.

We can also assume the Temple as built upon the spot where the light cave was. We don't know if the light stayed on after the smoke left, but it seemed to go dim before the smoke came barreling out. If that's where the smoke entity was, remember that's where it was hiding and came from both times we saw it around the temple. It was underneath in the caves. And the pool they brought Sayid to was probably built to collect whatever goodness the light had or something like that.

Anyway, this episode really gave us very very little in terms of solid information. Which is too bad because this should have been an easy way to give a lot of island history and story.

Comment

Working...
                                X