'Lost' losing it's touch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
    Simple?, hardly, I respectfully disagree with your assumption that people that who disliked season II did so because they were not "pleased with what the answers to certain questions were." My main problem had to do with the lack of progression in the storyline and the fact that some of the actors seemed like they wanted to be somewhere else. Plus IMHO it went from being unique to ridiculous. Judging by how the shows ratings fell off from season I, especially by the time they got to the second half of season II, I wasn't the only one.
    The season rating s for Lost show only a small drop, going from #15 for 2004 to #18 for 2005. Not a bad thing, really. Plus, the storyline progression seems to be going a bit too quickly, for me. Really, with the rate of their discoveries on the island, I can't imagine the series running much past four seasons total.

And really, characterizing the actors as not being fully in character is rather insulting to them, don't you think? No doubt they are doing as a good of a job as they can, and in a manner that the Director wishes.

...John...
    "I could have sworn that was an aspirin I took this morning...."
    -----

Comment

i also just noticed the title says "loosing"

Comment

Defintiely not. Season 2 was not as good as season 1 overall, but then again that would have been very difficult to beat. The start of the season was a bit iffy with the introduction of the new characters and such but the second half of the season was sensational. The last episode was phenomenal too, right up there with The Pilot and Exodus I&II. The Long Con was also one of the best flashback episodes.

Season 1 - 10/10
        Season 2 -9/10

Alot of people I know who watch the show were really dissapointed in the last episode that they didn't get all the answers. Idiots . Season 3 should be brilliant.
        'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

Comment

Not at all. Yes, the start of S2 was a bit slow, with the introduction of the tailies and getting everyone together. Add to that, the appalling breaks between episodes and it was downright irritating. But the second half of the season was fantastic.

As to the ratings drop, I know some people who just got tired of all the build-up then the breaks for 3 or 4 weeks. With the new schedule for S3, I think it will pick right back up.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG
            As to the ratings drop, I know some people who just got tired of all the build-up then the breaks for 3 or 4 weeks. With the new schedule for S3, I think it will pick right back up.
            That's one of the big reasons I soured to Lost in season II. The long breaks between blocks of episodes was annoying and tiresome. Good point KatG

What kind of schedule are they going to run for season III?.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

6 episodes (a mini arc complete with cliffhanger), a 12 week break, then 17 more episodes with no interuptions
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
              - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

What Ptah said above.

I think it will work much better. It will put Lost on during all the crucial ratings months, but only make us wait for new eps once, even if it's a bit longer than normal. I personally am looking forward to it.
                sigpic

Comment

lost is loosing it touch.

everytime something important happens then they do flashbacks to show suspense then when they get closer to the important thing, they do another flashback and then i think "ok they just making it up now" it sort of killing the show
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one
                    lost is loosing it touch.

everytime something important happens then they do flashbacks to show suspense then when they get closer to the important thing, they do another flashback and then i think "ok they just making it up now" it sort of killing the show
                    How do the Flashbacks (which reveal key parts to the characters background) make you think that the producers are making it all up? You'll need to explain further....

They use Flashbacks as suspense to increase the importantness & drama of the 'important thing'... They use Suspence in most TV shows anywhere! You can't tell em that you don't like any TV show?!

Comment

Well I must say that in S2 Lost lost me, although I did finally now just catch up with all the eps. I frankly am tired of the week to week cliffhanger, only because I know each ep is going to slowly (although not always) give a little tiny bit of the secret out only to end the ep with another one of those wait till next week for the conclusion crap.

It was nice and refreshing for one season, but unless something drastic changes in S3s writing, I can't say I will have much interest in following the show.

Take in the end of S2 where they sail past that crumbled statue with the foot that has like six toes. God only knows how long until we get an answer to that. And by the time we do many will have forgotten or lost interest in that.

Honestly I actually think I might skip next season all together and just wait until it comes out on DVD. I frankly just have no interest in watching network TV anymore with all their idiotic commercials and promotions that insult the intelligence of even the mouse hiding in my cupboard.

...and yes, the mouse will be skipping next season as well

Comment

I have watched both seasons within the last 3 weeks, so both are fresh in my mind.

Imo season 2 is a hell of a lot better than the first.
                        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I have to agree that it's losing it's touch. I find myself constantly thinking things like " Oh, so the plane the Eko's brother was on crashed on this island... what now?"

There are all these "It's a small world" moments where each character seems to have met another at least once in their lifetime, yet it all leads nowhere. Each week the situation gets more ridiculous, each week more characters are involved, and each week I feel like the show is just treading water until they can unveil their bizzare, final plot twist which I will probably think "oh... that's it?"

I will probably still watch it, but it certainly isn't as good as I first thought.
                          An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

Originally posted by Chutzpah
                            There are all these "It's a small world" moments where each character seems to have met another at least once in their lifetime, yet it all leads nowhere. Each week the situation gets more ridiculous, each week more characters are involved, and each week I feel like the show is just treading water until they can unveil their bizzare, final plot twist which I will probably think "oh... that's it?"
                            I share this objection. It just seems like they're building up this revelation that all the characters are connected somehow...and it turns out they're not. It really is all just coincidence. Or maybe it isn't...

It's reminding me of Farscape, and not in a good way. I'm thinking of around the third season of Farscape, when it became clear that the plot didn't matter and the writers were just screwing with us...that's how I'm starting to feel.
                            Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                            I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                            What have these years left to me?
                            Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

I think LOST is losing it's touch by constantly giving us more and more questions but less and less answers

Comment

Originally posted by RuleBritannia
                                I think LOST is losing it's touch by constantly giving us more and more questions but less and less answers
                                I agree, and that is what is getting boring about the show. When I think back now to the last two seasons I think about how long it took just to get so freaking little out there. Almost if this would have been better as a mini-series than a full fledged series that just drags on and on.

Well they had better think of something good for S3 because I think there are a lot of people tiring of Lost, its magic is gone, or shall I say lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X