Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone give me a brief synopsis of this show?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YodaMate
    Season 2

Spoiler:
    The new season begins with the hatch door blasted open. Inside they find an underground facility (the Swan), complete with living quarters and a small arsenal. Here the survivors meet Desmond, an athlete who crashed his boat on the island and who has actually met Jack once before. He asks if they have come to replace him in his task, entering a numbered code into an old computer terminal every 108 minutes. Disturbingly, the number code is comprised of Hurley's cursed numbers. He tells them that by entering them, they are “saving the world”, before he runs off into the jungle.

Meanwhile, Michael and Sawyer (the con man, who was shot in the shoulder) are adrift at sea but a current brings them back to the island. Once on the beach, they are met by their Korean comrade Jin, who is running from people he calls “Others”. The Others are chasing him and they capture all three survivors, throwing them into a pit. After some initial misunderstanding, the men learn that their captors are in fact also survivors from the other half of their own plane and are brought to their own, much smaller and un-powered hatch facility (the Arrow). They are much worse off than the main section survivors and are living in fear due to attacks by the Others. In a flashback episode, we learn that they too were infiltrated and that 12 of them (including two children) have been kidnapped by people wearing ragged dirty clothing, leaving only 5 survivors remaining. At one point, a hidden Jin and the burly African man, Mr Eko observe a line of dirty legs pass silently by, including one pair of smaller legs dragging a teddy bear.

The new group decide to trek across the island and join the main group, but in the process, another member is kidnapped and they hear whispers in the jungle. Their spooked leader Ana Lucia, having confiscated Sawyer’s gun, accidentally shoots one of the main survivors, Shannon (the deceased Boone’s sister and Sayid’s love interest). Interestingly, Shannon was lead straight to her death by visions of the kidnapped Walt in the jungle. Despite the tragedy, the new survivors are welcomed and absorbed into the main group.

Meanwhile, the hatch is reluctant to give up its mysteries ; they determine that a large magnet is buried in concrete, supporting the 1980s orientation film they watch telling of an ‘incident’ involving magnetic fluctuations and setting out the protocol for ‘pushing the button’ ; which involves entering the numbers. Jack and Locke have an ongoing debate as to whether to push the button, for the moment Locke’s pro-button views hold out. Among the items from the other hatch retrieved by the other survivors (including a short-wave radio), there were missing fragments from the orientation film that reveal the computer can be used to communicate. At the same time as this revelation is revealed, Michael sees a message from Walt on the computer.

Without telling the others, Michael secretly communicates with someone he thinks is Walt and, taking his advice, steals a gun and heads north across the island. Jack and co. try to follow him but are stopped by the Others. They, via the captain of the boat that took Walt, give an ultimatum to Jack to stay on his (southern) half of the island. Reluctantly, Jack returns to camp but immediately starts to plot a way to attack the Others. He gets an opportunity when Rousseau delivers a man she caught in a net. After some initial confusion, whereby the man claimed to be a crashed balloonist named Henry Gale (confusion that ended when Sayid finds the real Gale’s body), they confirm he is an Other and Jack heads out to the line to make an exchange for Walt. Instead, they make no response and Michael turns up out of the jungle.

Michael has in fact been imprisoned by the Others in a fishing village, which he accurately describes to the survivors, but he neglects to mention his captivity. Originally, they wanted to question him about Walt, as it appears he has special abilities (he seems to occasionally read minds and makes things happen). Michael’s absence during Walt’s upbringing doesn’t help but they do find another purpose for him ; sending him back to infiltrate the survivors, free ‘Henry Gale’ and return with further hostages in exchange for Walt and his freedom. In the process of freeing the prisoner, Michael shoots and kills Ana Lucia and fellow tail section survivor Libby (Hurley’s love interest with a secretive past). Passing it off as an Others attack, he rallies a group to strike back. Sayid, however, sees through him and makes plans to turn the treachery into a triple-cross and hopefully take out the Others.

Meanwhile, other Season 2 highlights include Claire regaining her memories and discovering a third hatch, a medical station (the Staff), where she was held during her abduction. In the station, they find costumes that look suspiciously like the garb worn by the Others. It is revealed that Mr Eko planned the heroin smuggling flight that crashed on the island, (and that his brother’s corpse is on board) before changing professions to become a priest. Locke is injured when the hatch goes into lockdown and a large bundle of supplies is dropped into the jungle at night. During the lockdown, he briefly sees a map of numerous hatches on the island written in invisible ink and becomes intrigued by the question mark in the map’s centre. We learn that one survivor, Rose, had a terminal illness and appears to have been cured during the plane crash and she knows Locke was in a wheelchair. Also, we finally see the monster in broad daylight ; it is comprised of black smoke and contains flashes of target people’s lives inside it. It is unclear at this stage whether it’s a living creature.

In the lead-up to the finale, Mr Eko sees his dead brother in a dream and follows his instructions taking Locke back to the crashed smuggler’s plane. They discover the ‘question mark’ etched in salt on the ground and another hatch (the Pearl) right underneath the plane. Inside it, they discover tv monitors that display views from inside their own hatch and a film stating they are watching a psychological experiment and requiring technicians to take copious notes on the subject’s activities. They also print out a system log and take it with them. Crushed, Locke loses his faith in the button and the island, but Mr Eko’s faith is redoubled and he announces that he will keep pushing the button.

In the finale, Desmond returns. His sailboat was actually repaired and he’s been attempting to sail away from the island but the currents keep bringing him back. Sayid sees in the boat the tactical advantage they need to attack the Others, whilst Locke sees in Desmond an ally to stop Eko from pushing the button. Desmond triggers a lockdown, trapping Locke and himself in the computer room. Michael, unaware that his treachery has been uncovered, takes Jack and a small group out into the jungle on foot whilst Sayid sails to the fishing village ahead of them. But when Sayid gets there, the place is empty. Meanwhile, Jack realises Michael has outsmarted them and lead them away from the village moments before they are attacked by darts, right next to a huge pile of discarded notes from the Pearl Station.

Back in the Swan hatch, Desmond reads the log from the Pearl and realises the one day he was late pressing the button (when the place began to shake and the computer displayed “system failure”) coincides with the exact day Jack and co.,’s plane crashed. However, it’s too late, time is up and the entire hatch begins to shake. All sorts of metallic items (including dishwashers) fly through the air towards the magnet. As a stunned Locke looks on, Desmond grabs a hidden key and enters a crawlspace under the computer room. He inherited the key from his previous button partner and it turns a dial for ‘System Termination’. Both we and he are uncertain what it does ; when he turns it, a bright light and noise envelopes the island. After it subsides, Michael concludes his business with the Others on jetty, in front of his bound and gagged friends. A senior Other appears, surprise surprise it’s ‘Henry Gale’. He’s not happy that his comrades offered Michael both a boat and Walt in exchange for him but allows them to go anyway. He claims the Others are “the good guys” and tells Michael the heading he’ll need to find rescue, but assures him he won’t be able to find the island again. Michael and Walt set sail, leaving Jack, Sawyer and Kate captives of the Others.

Meanwhile, in some icy region of the world, two technicians are playing a game of chess when they are interrupted by their computer reporting an “electromagnetic anomaly detected”. One of them immediately places a call and Desmond’s girlfriend answers the phone. He tells her “we think we’ve found him”.
    wow, thanks
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

i can't believe you wasted all that time typing that out.

just buy the DVDs, jeez. i linked to both in my post above.

Comment

Morbo, time spent typing about Lost is never wasted
        <gasp> you must not be a true Lost fanatic !

Actually, it didn't take all that long and was a very useful exercise for getting my thoughts in order prior to the new season. I think that the stroyline involving the Others deserves more attention than say the various supernatural/spooky things going on, since i don't believe the producers are willing to risk their mainstream audience by delving into the more sci-fi aspects of the show... yet.

Commander, you're welcome

Comment

Originally posted by YodaMate
          <gasp> you must not be a true Lost fanatic !
          you must be new to this part of the forum.

Comment

Yep. I don't even lurk in this section and you should be aware that whenever the tongue is out like so, my tongue is firmly in cheek.

So, what are we expecting for Season 3 ? Or should that topic be reserved for a different thread ?

Comment

Well of watching the current episodes i feel season 3 could be heading to unveiling some more mysterys as i've already heard supposedly what will be happening won't mention as not to spoil it, but if your desperate to know you can pm me

But what i think will happen is more of the black smoke will be revealed, and something happens within the hatch.

Comment

Nah, that's cool. Thanks for the offer, i've already caved and taken to browsing spoiler sites. But my untainted opinion is that it would be a good idea for them to explore the Others in depth next season, but i suspect that the writers/producers will, as usual, pull their knowledge-tidbit punches a bit shorter than we'd like.

Needless to say, we're going to need some more hatch explanation/coverage and there is simply far too much represented by Locke, Desmond and Eko for the 'system termination' to be lethal

Comment

Desmond ghopefully he returns sometime, but well hopefully in season 3 there will be more stuff explanied or some more mysteries relvealed, like to know more of these others, and well the hatch could have some more like what happens if the button is not pressed

Don't read the below if you don't want but well its something i feel will happen and off what i've heard it will not sure if its this season 3 or the season after...
                  Spoiler:
                  Theres a research team out in the antartic and they discover the island. Also the button is not pressed.

Comment

Originally posted by woody
                    Don't read the below if you don't want but well its something i feel will happen and off what i've heard it will not sure if its this season 3 or the season after...
                    Spoiler:
                    Theres a research team out in the antartic and they discover the island. Also the button is not pressed.
                    uhhh that happened in the finale of season 2.

desmond, locke, and ecko will all be back. no worries.

Comment

Ah well got the wrong season thats all i heard happened, but well Ecko is a great character and well one of my favs. But well just wondering here what did the thing in my spoiler do just pop it in more spoiler tags.

Comment

Working...
                      X