Lost is Hurting Itself Badly with these Constant Breaks in Episodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rarocks24
    Thank god someone else hates reality tv. I mean how many times must they do Survivor. The first time was okay, the second time was, okay, they aren't going to do another season...here it is eight years later. It's just incredibly redundant and stupid.
    I detest reality tv as most shows cater to the lowest common denominator. Gems like Fox's Who is your daddy or the littlest groom. About the only reality tv show I watched was the first season of Joe Schmoe but that was more of a scripted show than a reality show. As of now I refuse to watch any reality show, they just don't appeal to me.

But I've noticed over the course of watching tv, that the shows go in cycles, mostly because the networks are completely unoriginal, which is why when one network gets a hit, say the show Medium, the other networks spawn clones. In the early 80's we had the night time drama soap's like Dallas and Knots Landing, then in the late 80's early 90's, sitcom's reigned supreme with the Cosby show and Friends. In the late 90's early 00's, reality tv was all the rage. With the advent of Lost and Depserate housewives, scripted drama is starting to come to the forefront again and hopefully reality tv will fall by the wayside for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
      Its half simple math, half monetary.

1) There's 52 weeks in a year, right? A television season runs from roughly September to May. I'm not counting, but I'd say thats about 35 weeks, give or take. A normal season of a television show is about 20-24 episodes.
      24 < 35. Simple math.

2) They choose to run shows at the beginning of the season, then during the two sweeps periods, Novermber and May.

Okay, (2) I understand, thanks. But (1) doesn't make sense. There are still 24 Sundays of the year where they are showing the series, and 28 where they aren't.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
        Okay, (2) I understand, thanks. But (1) doesn't make sense. There are still 24 Sundays of the year where they are showing the series, and 28 where they aren't.
        It is a total pain, I agree but they are showing episodes every week, just not always new ones, the networks seem to fill the gaps with repeats which makes keeping up with the show even harder.

If only they would be kind enough to make a clip show so us dumb TV viewers could keep up, oh, wait a minute......

Comment

I'm so happy, it looks like fans do have some power after all

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...-Lost-291.html

Comment

The problem is that the 'sweeps' are a hold over from times when they used to do 30-40 episodes a season.
            "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Sorry this isn't a proper reply -
              I found this thread by accident, but this thread doesn't appear on list of threads when I view the Lost board and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my browser...

What else am I missing? grrr...

AT

okay....now that I've posted a reply to it, it appears on the board. Am I only seeing recently posted to threads? Haven't experienced this (to my knowledge) on other boards....~~puzzled~~
              thistledown
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thistledown
                Sorry this isn't a proper reply -
                I found this thread by accident, but this thread doesn't appear on list of threads when I view the Lost board and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my browser...

What else am I missing? grrr...

AT

okay....now that I've posted a reply to it, it appears on the board. Am I only seeing recently posted to threads? Haven't experienced this (to my knowledge) on other boards....~~puzzled~~
                Yeah, I noticed that too. It appears that the Sub-Forum only shows Threads with the Last Post under a Month or so. If you scroll down to the Bottom, you can change that Option & reveal the 'Lost' Threads (Bad Pun )

On Topic (which has been Dead for a While, but on a Sub-Forum this Small...); I live in the UK, & Channel 4 (inc.E4) show it every Week (with a First Glance Ep, The Ep then a Repeat) unless it's the First 2 Eps which they did a Double Channel Parter, or the Last Ep. Which they're going to do a Same Channel two-parter with-out a First Glance ep.

So I don't really have this Problem, but seeing as the US (and other countries) are Main Customers, if the ratings go down there, It might look bad...

Comment

im slightly annoyed that im not getting my first glance for the season finale. Means I have to wait an extra week still I guies its not as bad as what happned with all the jumbling stateside this year.
                  Oh and apparantly Channel 4 are trying to get Lost brought forward over here so that maybe we will start the season only say 6 episodes behind as apposed to the whole season behind.
                  Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

So... early January then?
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

fingers crossed. (That last bit was an estimate by me) well perhaps even earlier as it pulls in just as many figures or more than the Desperate Houswifes. And they bvrought that forward if I remember rightly.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet
                        Yeah, I noticed that too. It appears that the Sub-Forum only shows Threads with the Last Post under a Month or so. If you scroll down to the Bottom, you can change that Option & reveal the 'Lost' Threads (Bad Pun ).........
                        Aha! Thanks!
                        Perhaps that's why people seem to keep saying to me "I think this has been discussed before", yet I can't find a thread that mentions it!
                        The LOST Lost threads!

Much appreciated!

AT
                        thistledown
                        sigpic

Comment

Well hopefully this problem with the breaks and erratic schedule of S2 will be solved this season with the new schedule setup.

I missed about five episodes last season, partly because I had given up on trying to remember it was on Wednesday nights and checking to see if it was new or not, but mostly because I was dog tired after work.

I bought the season 2 dvd set when it came out and watched it over the course of several days so I’m all caught up for the October 4th season premier. I think the show is actually better when you can watch it all at once like that.
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                            Well
                            I bought the season 2 dvd set when it came out and watched it over the course of several days so I’m all caught up for the October 4th season premier. I think the show is actually better when you can watch it all at once like that.
                            Yeah I found that when watching the S1 boxset at a freinds house (havent got it yet ) anyways the main difference is the lack of adverts !!! I hate them !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                              I think the show is actually better when you can watch it all at once like that.
                              I have a buddy here who only watches Lost after its come out on DVD--he tried watching S1 on TV and just got totally lost(pardon the pun ) trying to follow the plotlines and everything. Aaaand anyway, we just finished the S2 finale tonight...the poor guy just about had a heart attack over the last few minutes

10 days and counting baby!
                              sigpic
                              Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
                              "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Originally posted by Jonzey
                                I thought it was the Network that chooses when to air episodes, not the guys who work on the show. So it's ABC that's hurting Lost, in an attempt to drag each season out as long as possible.
                                Don't forget the difference between network tv and cable is that network shows are subjected to pre-emptions at the whim of the network. Sometimes the breaks are in because of holiday programing during those seasons and other times because of sporting events which seem to take precidence over everything and then there's all manner of emergency breaks. Cable doesn't have that kind or problem... unless its some major big thing like the end of the world.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X