What makes Lost so Interesting? No Disrespect Intended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes Lost so Interesting? No Disrespect Intended

What is it that people love about Lost? I believe I am one of the very few who does not really care for this show. I enjoy it enough that I watch it (though I am behind by a few episodes right now), but I have never thought it was that great, nor was I running out to buy season 1 on DVD.

As I said with the title, no disrespect intended - what is it that people like about Lost that makes it one of their top favorite TV shows? I'm just curious.

Oh, and my favorite character is Locke.
    Last edited by Lord Shiva; 03 December 2005, 08:20 PM.

I'll admit it. I only like it because of Ana and Eko. I was watching it before but there was kind of something missing. Plus the plot does tend to ooze along. I guess I like Lost because, first of all I was writing something like it *darn you JJ* and my story began almost exactly like the Pilot episode, and I wanted to see where it went. So far, I have no clue. If Ana is killed off...I'l still watch, just to see the plot play out, but honestly, how mythological, intellectual, spiritual or nail biting can you get with a story that has the gist of "My plane crashed on a creepy island and I can't get off" ? It's like Titanic, the whole point of the show is to see all the people die. or in Lost's case, get rescued or die. Maybe Lost will amount to more, I sure hope so.

And it makes for nice wallpaper scenery.
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I think it's subjective to the individual viewer; however, I speculate that the show strikes one's imagination and wonder. Plus the fact that there really is no clear answer to all this madness on the island makes it interesting and provides the energy to the next episode. The telling of each of the character's lives via flashbacks and how they relate to one another on the island and their past adds some 'character' to the show. Unlike some shows that rely on other aspects to make it work, LOST taps into the paranormal and psyche end of things and strikes the imagination.
      Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

I'd agree with that assessment, Kenstermen. Personally, I'm quite tired of formulaic television. When Lost came on the air it was a nice change of pace. In the age of reality shows and crime dramas, it's good to see a show that still embraces some real creativity. I enjoy Lost largely because of the unpredictability. Characters are (for the most part) interesting and three dimensional. I love the complexities and mysteries of the show. I'm not one who normally enjoys stories that are convoluted or overly complex, but Lost does an excellent job of keeping me on the edge of my seat. A scripted, interesting program is a great addition to today's largely dull and uninteresting television line-up.

Comment

I like the show a lot but I am not as head over heels as some seem to be. But I do get its appeal. I don't think we've seen a show like it with this kind of pacing. It's not afraid to leave stories unfinished to address later. It focuses on character development without turning into a soap opera. It's not afraid to be wierd without going overboard and tossing out wild theories of electromagnetism and gravity shifts. It strikes the right balance of appealing to the viewers without going too far to one side or the other and it can't be easily shoved into any one category.

Basically it's TV of the kind we've been waiting for for a long time an adventurous action soap opera withoutthe romantic relationship melodrama and a slightly more realistically timed pacing.
          Last edited by MarshAngel; 10 December 2005, 07:06 AM.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Well, I'm not stagate-crazy about this show, but it's interesting to find out what will happen and what other mysteries there are. If I had to choose what to cancel, SG-1 or Lost, I would choose Lost! lol.

Comment

The answer is simple really.

Mystery.
              Suspense.
              Imagination.
              Wonder.
              But mostly the mystery.

People love problems and mysteries and enigmas. They want to solve them. It's like a crazy ingrown trait. A mystery has to be solved. And the only way to get our clues, is by watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                The answer is simple really.

Mystery.
                Suspense.
                Imagination.
                Wonder.
                But mostly the mystery.

People love problems and mysteries and enigmas. They want to solve them. It's like a crazy ingrown trait. A mystery has to be solved. And the only way to get our clues, is by watching.
                excellent analogy
                The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

I agree with Vee... mostly...
                  I'm a long time sucker for suspense and for twists, and anything that smacks of intrigue grabs me. While Lost doesn't quite blow me away like BSG does... I do like the underlying premise that no one or nothing is what they seem.

There's so much rubbish and recycling on television these days that anything that has any spark of originality and conviction grabs my interest immediately. While the happily ever after scenario has its place, it's nice to be able to watch something that challenges your preconceived notions gradually unfold.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Kate is hot

LOL

No seriously its all the mystery and twists in the story
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

Ive always liked stories that have sub-plots and watchng these merge into one coherant story. This is what I believe the heart of LOST.

Sure the mystery and suspense is great also keeping you tuned in to next week. Watching the flashbacks and learning the characters past, are a real step away from the linear stories that you see on other dramas.

Comment

plus, on top of what everyone else said, i have to admit i find it to be (usually, especially with season one) a very well written show. better than the stargates, but not as good as, say, the sopranos when it comes to dialogue (no offense to gaters, or anything, but at least jokes on lost are usually funny).

Comment

Working...
                        X