• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good Shepherd (205)

GRIMM - SEASON TWO
    THE GOOD SHEPHERD
    EPISODE NUMBER - 205
    Monroe investigates a Wesen church after a robbery occurs there; Nick is followed by a menacing adversary as he works to reconnect with Juliette. (TV Guide)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 14 September 2012, 02:47 PM.

A good episode. I especially liked the ending, very Being John Malkovich(sorry if I misspelled that).

Monroe was wonderful as always.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

OMG! I'm still laughing my ass off!
      First, line of the week, this time .... *droomroll* ... Renard:
      "One man attacked twenty-five people?"

Phew! Calm down now *take another deep breath* ...
      Great ep! It started great, sometimes, especially with the church, it was (again) a little slowpaced, but it was fine with me. Really liked it.
      Hank was good with his suspicious looks at everyone they met and his whispered question all the time: "Did he/she change?" Poor Nick!
      To me it was clear who the killer was - first! But when this Megan showed up ... well, after what Monroe told Nick and Hank about "Wolf inside a Sheep" I had a suspicion but that turned out as wrong.
      Monroe undercover was so cute! Awe, how he entered the church and all the Seelenguter turned to him full of fear and he ... so sorry that Mi is on vacation, she will LOVE this episode! Especially the Monroe-scenes.
      Nick/Juliette next chapter. Now the mysterious "if you would be happier ..." scene from the trailer is clear, and it looks like they are moving forward to something. Nick was a lot calmer and, of course after that talk, happier than before *reliefed sigh*. So I was right with my theory and the stronger a Grimm is, the more he loses his emotions. Good to see him slowly come back to normal and I hope that this invitation from Juliette will lead to something.
      Besides, anyone else noticed that Nick's socks are vanished but he left the ring behind? Wondering where his clothes are now ...
      Another Hank, defending Nick, was another AWE!-moment for me. "He's not that kind of a ... well ... Grimm. He's a cop!" That was a great line and so true. Seems also here it's going back to normal . And it seems like the partnership is growing stronger now.
      The Nuckalevee and Nick ... I liked the beginning of the ep when Nick became aware that he was watched and my heart stopped for a second when the Nuckalevee was later in Juliette's house while she also was there. One moment I really feared he would attack her. But than the fight at the trailer ...

Great one! I really like the fight-choreographies in season 2 so far. David is more and more into it and especially this one was great because of the limited space they had for the fight (besides ... I LOVED that chair! ). Here it was great that Nick was, for the first time since 1.19, fighting with one of the ancient weapons. Well done! I hope this Emmy-people will take a second look and put Grimm for a second time on their list. Whatever the staff behind the camera did (especially the stunt-coordinator) he did it right!
      What I also liked was that this time there was a lot German in the ep ... well, again (like always) a little weird use but after all the French it was good to hear something familiar . Did I ever mention that, no matter how weird the use of the words is, the actors do mostly a great job with the spelling? Hehehe, again poor Hank! He doesn't look too happy about his ... state in the Wesen-world.
      Oh, and don't forget about Monroes disliking digital clocks. So cute how he always looked at that watch and finally turned it down. Wondering if he also put that pic of the referent aside .

That is was after watching the ep for the first time. I fear this will again turn out as learning it from the inside out till next weeks ep (Angelina! YAY!). I love this ep!
      Last edited by Hyndara71; 29 September 2012, 02:57 AM.

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
      Sig & Avi by Josi
      sigpic
      LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
      I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

I wasn´t a fan of that criminal plot, to be honest. It was a little slowpaced, as you said, but also the characters were too scatchy for me to care about them. However, the ending with Megan and Harmony at the beach was like "wife and her husband´s former lover went against him" style that made me smile.

But the other stuff, *that* was interesting.
        To Nick - I don´t think "normal" is the word I would use. He has changed. A lot. When he killed the guy without a blinking an eye and then put him in the river? It was like the third body he dumped in a few months.
        Also, he obviously doesn´t tell Hank everything. As easier as it might be for him to work as a detective when Hank knows - I think Hank is not only uncomfortable but also, he seemed, a little scared. Reactions of Wesen to Nick must make him wonder what exactly did Nick do (He didn´t do much...well, except killing two Reapers and the guy in the trailer and...um). He isn´t sure and with Nick telling him half-truths, not helping. What if Hank finds out that at least TWO murder cases were manipulated by Nick (with a help of Monroe) and that Nick actually killed some of them or helped to cover a murder? And let´s not forget Adelind who used Hank. There just a lots of things Hank doesn´t know and I am not sure if Hank will accept that.
        And Nick doesn´t even say everything to Monroe now - since he killed that guy who went after him, killed him, put his body into a river and didn´t tell anyone. I feel his Grimm side is taking over, whetever he wants or not. Him lying to everybody is a big change since last year when he ran with everything to Monroe. I doubt he would go wild and start killing Wesen but his darker side is very much visible now and he probably realized he should keep more for himself. But I can´t help it....I love Nick´s Grimm side
        I am glad they didn´t break the trailer much

I liked that scene with Juliette. They seemed uncomfortable around each other so far but when they cleared up that neither of them isn´t going anywhere, it was good. I think Juliette starts to remember, or at least feel something.
        The scene when she came home and the guy was hiding there, was very well done.

I know that the "criminal case of the week" is necessary and that it was the original concept - I don´t think the story-arc itself would be able to carry 22 episodes just yet - but it is time to show us the bigger threat instead of these little hints. Someone always comes for Nick but I want to see Nick fighting the big battle, maybe even with local Wesen covering his back. Or other Grimms besides his mother.

Also, how big can Portland be that there are still Wesen (if they are as connected as they are trying to tell us) who are surprised there is a Grimm in the city?
        Not enough scenes with just Nick and Monroe. Yes, this dynamic is great and I love how Hank feels awkward around Monroe, while Monroe babbles names that he doesn´t understand But there are things that Nick can´t tell Hank and there should be Monroe for his Grimm stuff. They should probably define it and mix characters more. I miss Rosalee and I am curious how long will she be absent. With a maternity leave, a few weeks gap, so maybe 4, 5 episodes?
        Last edited by Klenotka; 29 September 2012, 03:15 AM.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Mh, wasn't it four cases with the last two "killers"? Besides the Reapers Monroe and Nick seemed to buried somewhere out near the Eisbibers large?

You are right, Nick doesn't tell Hank everything. There's no need to. He told him enough that Hank knows what could be going on. True, Hank is still scared, here you are right. Just watched that scene at Monroe's home again and Monroe is everything but no threat to Hank!
          Yes, Nick is changed, he isn't so innocent as he was in season 1. But he's not that angry Grimm anymore, or at least not in this episode. About him killing the Nuckalevee ... I don't think that was so much coldblooded. He fought for his life here and simply had to kill the attacker. And whatelse should he do after that? Call the police and have a hard time to explain what the hell he was doing in that trailer-park? Better dump the body in the river, it's not the first time he has to cover. This is only getting more ... uhm ... business as usual .

Nick doesn't tell Monroe everything ... what should he tell him more? Monroe knew about the case, he knew what he had to look for and that he keep his phone better with himself all the time. True, there are not so much Nick/Monroe-scenes anymore - or at the moment, I hope for a change when Adalind will return. Besides, both, David and Silas, stated that in an interview they'd given a short time ago. Unfortunately they don't have so much screentime together for now *sighs*.

Okay, about the Wesen do not know about Nick ... I think the races are pretty much living for their own, like Monroe stated several times in season 1. Eisbiber staying with the Eisbiber, Blutbaden doesn't mix except to become a pack, Jagerbärs usually don't mix with other Wesen. I think the only real connection could be those Wieder-churches but this one was unfortunately only run by Seelenguters. Well, besides those rest homes they talked (and showed) in 1.11 Tarantella I don't see any real connection between the different "species" of Wesen.

Sig & Avi by Josi
          sigpic
          LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)

Comment

i liked this episode a lot.

especially the scene where Nick fights that guy, and uses one of the weapons (instead of the gun). and of course when Renard finds out the guy is dead, the look on is face, he knows Nick killed him . I think that Nick is getting good at killing who he has to and not giving it a second thought (which I like actually). I like Nick's Grimm side, it shows why people would see him as a threat. and the fact that he covered it up and didn't tell anyone, shows that he is becoming a stronger Grimm and has changed a lot since last year.

and the main storyline was good too. and the end was great.
            Last edited by blueray; 29 September 2012, 06:02 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Wow, Nick is really slipping into his 'Grimm' heritage.

It's almost like a second nature that has until recently been suppressed by his blissful ignorance. The by the book cop is not so much now after he just dumps the assassin's body in the river, that was a surprise to me. The 'sweet' guy seems to be getting tougher, and it's interesting how it coincides with Julliette's loss of any memories of him as that guy with their previously ideal loving relationship. It emphasises the fact that this isn't the life for Nick, his is a lonely one whether he wants it or not. It is nicely counterbalanced by his growing group of allies in the Wessen world, I like how the fact that a Grimm isn't killing every one of them he comes across confuses the Wessen.

This is a great bit of character development, I'm fascinated by what kind of road Nick is heading down. Munroe is great as always, I like how he's stepping up more to help Nick, he's not so reluctant as a great sense of trust has been building between them.

The wolf and sheep idea was so wonderfully played here. The 'flock' who attend the church are literally 'sheep', it was funny to watch them all fearfully react to Munroe. Also I liked the idea that it's never an idea to underestimate a bunch of generally mild mannered people who are pushed too far and get angry enough! The wolf being turned on by the sheep, and out smarted by two 'sheep' was a great way to turn the accepted fairy tale image on its head!

Comment

I agree with you. After I rewatched the episode, I made a few more observations about Nick.

The scene where Hank and Nick interviewed Megan was so great in many ways - I noticed Nick´s "Oh,God, not again." look he got and even didn´t bother to stand up and let Hank to handle it. I think Nick is a good guy but his Grimm side is very visible even when he doesn´t want to.
                He has a group of allies in the city but is it thanks to his genuine attempt to show them he is good or (very deeply subconsciously) manipulates people? Like Hank during that interview. I think it is about a personal opinion here and how you read that scene but Hank DIDN´T look like he believed that Nick really was that nice Grimm and seemed scared - from Megan´s reaction, yes, but he sneeked a look at Nick, who nodded and then Hank said "Grimm". A subtle scene that can be explained in many ways.

And is it me or it looks like Nick is developing some kind of a sixth sense? I mean, he can sense when he is followed. It happened a few times but it seemed strong enough this time to make him uncomfortable. I wish some old Grimm would come to help him to learn these things

The second time Nick behaved as a Grimm was with the reverend. He didn´t even try to hide it. He switched into that "I could jump at you and kill you but I am not going to" expression he does, with that dangerous, dark smile.
                I really love this change and I hope somebody asks writers if we will see more of this.
                With the body count growing around him, I am not sure he can stay as "an honest cop" for much longer. But I don´t know how would it work as some "private investigator" thing so it wouldn´t be too much as Angel.
                I think when he finds out (and it´s "when", not "if") that Renard manipulated him, it could be a real "fun"
                Also, Nick is a loner. It is very obvious. He has Juliette and Hank and now Monroe (we wrote about his friendship with Monroe in the friendship thread) but he never goes out with friends. He seems to be pretty easygoing, even a leader-type but he prefers to be alone with people he is comfortable with and even after he finds them, he doesn´t tell them everything.

But I honestly think the monster of the week wasn´t that interesting. Maybe they should move away from the "criminal case of the week" a little, with longer stories involved - like more difficult crime that would take two or three episodes to solve.
                Last edited by Klenotka; 30 September 2012, 11:54 AM.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                  But I honestly think the monster of the week wasn´t that interesting. Maybe they should move away from the "criminal case of the week" a little, with longer stories involved - like more difficult crime that would take two or three episodes to solve.
                  THIS!

About the scene in the interogation room ... I see that the other way. True, Nick wasn't amused that Megan panicked after noticing him but that he let Hank calm down her was (for me) more about not to drive her more crazy but to calm her down. And Hank ... I think he's still confused and instable and only barely able to really get what Nick had told him. True, I don't think he's believing Nick the same way as he did in season 1 but ... I think he's more fighting with himself.

Sig & Avi by Josi
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Klenotka View Post
                    The scene where Hank and Nick interviewed Megan was so great in many ways - I noticed Nick´s "Oh,God, not again." look he got and even didn´t bother to stand up and let Hank to handle it. I think Nick is a good guy but his Grimm side is very visible even when he doesn´t want to.

And is it me or it looks like Nick is developing some kind of a sixth sense? I mean, he can sense when he is followed. It happened a few times but it seemed strong enough this time to make him uncomfortable. I wish some old Grimm would come to help him to learn these things
                    first part. I think that there is so many ways to look at that scene. I took it as Nick is starting to get used to people acting this way when they realize he is a grimm. I think that his grimm nature (i guess) is beginning to become more dominate. and while I never what to see him go to the dark-side (for a lack of a better way to put it), I do really like the little bit of darkness shown in season 2 so far, and I really hope it continues. I also think that Hank is still in doubt about completely trusting Nick.

second part, that is something that I wondered since season 1. it seemed like Nick was able to read people a lot better than his co-workers. which is probably part of being a grimm. he also definetly sensed that he was being followed in this episode more than any other time. I wonder if this "power" is growing as he becomes a more experienced grimm. I hope they go in to this in the show.
                    sigpic

Comment

I hope so, too. They answered the question about "How do they know he is Grimm" partially when Hank asked. There was a theory about that some time ago and Nick had that theory (which they I think proved), that Nick and the Wesen don`t know about each other until they morph and they can then somehow sense him in their natural form - I think it is a correct theory because Nick doesn`t show any surprise now since he learnt to control it. So it is, I think, the only explanation.
                      So I hope we will get answers to the other questions as well. I actually think Renard could help if he reveals himself to Nick one day.

Comment

it is definetly be interesting to see how Nick reacts when (or if) he finds out about Renard. but if that does happen, as I've said before poor Hank will just be trapped in the middle lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

I still would love to see what the Wesen see when they are looking at Nick. I bet it isn't the nice guy everyone "normal" sees in him ...

Sig & Avi by Josi
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, there was a theory about Grimm beings "higher" version of Wesen but I don´t think it´s truth. But I bet he looks different. Maybe he "smells" different to them

Comment

I hope we at some point get to see what they see and I agree, he probably doesn't look as nice. as for smell Monroe smelled Nick in that season one episode lol.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X