No announcement yet.

Baelor (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have high hopes for Tyrion and Arya too, but then again, I once had high hopes for Ned. And Sansa. For some reason, I think Sansa will outlive a few. Whether she lives happy or not... Yeah, time will tell.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
      I have high hopes for Tyrion and Arya too, but then again, I once had high hopes for Ned. And Sansa. For some reason, I think Sansa will outlive a few. Whether she lives happy or not... Yeah, time will tell.
      I really hope that Dany, Jon, and even Tyrion are there at the very end. However, given the interesting pattern GRRM seems to have set in motion, methinks he's clearing the chess board for some new players. If Sansa goes forward, I really hope she learns to be more of a Stark than a... puppet.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
        I really hope that Dany, Jon, and even Tyrion are there at the very end. However, given the interesting pattern GRRM seems to have set in motion, methinks he's clearing the chess board for some new players. If Sansa goes forward, I really hope she learns to be more of a Stark than a... puppet.
        Ha. Well. We can only hope (Pulling for Sansa here. You can do it!). Also, I can only hope that Tyrion makes it to the end, but then I think about this pic and the rumours of who ends up dying in later books, and, well.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Just to expand on an earlier point (re: subtitles):
          While re-watching the episode, I really think that putting subtitles on places and events should be done.
          Something like, when the aftermath of the battle of the Green Fork was being shown:
          subtitle: "Aftermath of the Battle of the Green Fork (in smaller letters: "The Trident, Riverlands")", and later, when Robb was shown arriving: "Whispering Wood (in smaller letters: "Riverlands, West of the Green Fork")"

Or something like that. If they can't show battles, then they can try to maximize stuff that will give a better sense of scale.
          I mean, viewers who watched all those WW2 movies won't remember the name of every general or field marshal, but showing names (at various times), does give that feeling of it being 'bigger', I think.

That and I don't think subtitles will put a big dent on their budget...
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
            Just to expand on an earlier point (re: subtitles):
            While re-watching the episode, I really think that putting subtitles on places and events should be done.
            Something like, when the aftermath of the battle of the Green Fork was being shown:
            subtitle: "Aftermath of the Battle of the Green Fork (in smaller letters: "The Trident, Riverlands")", and later, when Robb was shown arriving: "Whispering Wood (in smaller letters: "Riverlands, West of the Green Fork")"

Or something like that. If they can't show battles, then they can try to maximize stuff that will give a better sense of scale.
            I mean, viewers who watched all those WW2 movies won't remember the name of every general or field marshal, but showing names (at various times), does give that feeling of it being 'bigger', I think.

That and I don't think subtitles will put a big dent on their budget...
            We got a little dose of that in the first episode. When "Winter is Coming" first began, we would see a landscape and then it was labeled as "Winterfell" or "King's Landing, Capital of the Seven Kingdoms" and "Pentos in the Free Cities." So we got a little bit of it but not much. I think the producers assumed that as the viewers would keep up with the series, we wouldn't need the subtitles. Additionally, the opening sequence geographically shows where all of the locations are in relation to each other. Being in the Dothraki Sea, Dany is actually much farther away from Westeros than most people might think. Ned wasn't exaggerating when he said she was half a world away.

As for the individual characters, if you look closely at the opening sequence, each actor's name has an icon next to their name. That small icon happens to be the banner/sigil of their character's house. For example, Sean Bean has a direwolf, Mark Addy has a stag, and Iain Glen has a bear (the sigil of House Mormont).
            sigpic

Comment

We got a little dose of that in the first episode. When "Winter is Coming" first began, we would see a landscape and then it was labeled as "Winterfell" or "King's Landing, Capital of the Seven Kingdoms" and "Pentos in the Free Cities." So we got a little bit of it but not much. I think the producers assumed that as the viewers would keep up with the series, we wouldn't need the subtitles. Additionally, the opening sequence geographically shows where all of the locations are in relation to each other. Being in the Dothraki Sea, Dany is actually much farther away from Westeros than most people might think. Ned wasn't exaggerating when he said she was half a world away.
              Yup. I noticed those...but they should have kept doing it, IMHO. I've read the books, so I know, for the most part, where they are. Folks who aren't too familiar w/ the literature/setting, on the other hand... *shrugs*

As for the individual characters, if you look closely at the opening sequence, each actor's name has an icon next to their name. That small icon happens to be the banner/sigil of their character's house. For example, Sean Bean has a direwolf, Mark Addy has a stag, and Iain Glen has a bear (the sigil of House Mormont).
              Yup. I noticed those, too. It's a nice touch, but not exactly a replacement for giving 'more info' about characters/locations/events, IMHO (and it doesn't exactly fall under 'too much info', too, IMHO).

I mean, it'll only get 'worse' later on when they have to start introducing the Greyjoys (and their bannermen), the Tyrells (and their bannermen), the other 'half' of House Baratheon (and that side's bannermen), the rest of House Tully (and bannermen), and the Martells (and their bannermen)...as well as 'more people' across the Narrow Sea.

edit: I lol'd when I read a person named WinterBreeze's post in the Westeros.org forum:

"Well not to worry Ned fans! His son Rob really takes after him and will likely fill the void in your hearts."
              Last edited by gotthammer; 15 June 2011, 03:00 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Shylo,

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                Walder Frey is supposed to be 90, Maester Aemon is 102.
                You get to meet a very young Walder Frey in the Third Dunk and Egg story.
                All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

If the two of them were to meet one day, now that would be very interesting. I think they'd get along very well. Like you, I think he and Dany will be the only main characters that won't be killed off.
                  I think this is likely to happen at some point. At least I believe this is what GRRM intends, but who knows.

I think they are the only two that I would call safe (but you never know). I'd also like Arya to make it through.
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow! If you're going to kill a main character, this is how you do it. Almost from the beginning, you could see the seeds being set that Ned wasn't going to make it. With each episode it became clear that Ned had a fatal character flaw that would make it almost impossible for him to survive life in King's Landing. He was honorable to the point where at times he almost lacked common sense even though he wasn't a stupid man.

For example, his scenes with Renly and with Baelish, in the episode just before he was arrested were fascinating to watch because although he had reached the conclusion that it was too dangerous for his daughters to stay in King's Landing, he still allowed his honor to get in the way of common sense by warning Cersei that he was going to expose her to Robert and by refusing to agree to either Renly's or Baelish's suggestions while Robert was close to death.

As an honorable man it was abhorrent to him to put Cersei's children in harms way. And I suspect that after seeing Robert hit Cersei, Ned probably felt a bit of pity for her too. Although he was aware enough of the dangers he would face after Robert's death to enlist the aid of Baelish, he couldn't suppress his innate sense of honor (and his anger at Jaime and Cersei's possible role in Bran's injury) enough to see that what was best for the realm was not necessarily what was the most honorable action. His sense of honor left him with no support because having Stannis in power wasn't what Renly, Baelish or Varys wanted. And, even Ned himself didn't seem to think Stannis would make a good king, but he was too blinded by the fact that Stannis was the rightful heir and that he was an experienced soldier to see that perhaps what Renly, Baelish and Varys had proposed may have been better options for the realm - honor be damned.

Renly, Baelish and Varys earlier, all gave him advice that may have kept the realm stable, but would have required Ned to compromise his honor. By keeping quiet about Joffrey not being Robert's birth son, immediate war could have been prevented because, as Baelish bluntly told him, the only way Stannis could become king was if Ned helped him. He also had the option of taking Renly's plan, which was to seize Joffrey immediately and have Renly become king. Since the people loved Renly and hated Stannis. Stannis wouldn't have had much support without Ned.

Maester Aemon's revelation that he was a Targaryen was powerful and it effectively tied into Ned's situation when he told Jon Snow that the Night's Watch were required to give up their ties to their families and never marry or father children so that they wouldn't have to choose between their Night's Watch family and their non-Night's Watch family. He drove that point home by sharing that he was a Targaryen and that even though he was blind and old at the time, he was frustrated at not being able to help his family when the Mad King's children and grandchildren were killed during Robert's rebellion, even though he had sworn to make the Watch his only family.

During that conversation, Jon believed his father would choose honor or what he believed was right over love, but as we saw in the next scene, Jon was wrong. It was painful to see Ned dragged before the crowd and forced to try to protect his daughters by lying and betraying his honor... and all for nothing because of the reckless, bloodthirsty and incredibly foolish, Joffrey.

That entire scene was chilling and unforgettable. And, it was a bold move to have it not happen in the last episode of the season. As one who hasn't read the books yet, I'm looking forward to seeing what the fall out will be.
                    Last edited by maxbo; 15 June 2011, 10:47 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                      Wow! If you're going to kill a main character, then this is how you do it. Almost from the beginning, you could see the seeds being set that Ned wasn't going to make it. With each episode it became clear that Ned had a fatal character flaw that would make it almost impossible for him to survive life in King's Landing. He was honorable to the point where at times he almost lacked common sense even though he wasn't a stupid man.

For example, his scenes with Renly and with Baelish, in the episode just before he was arrested were fascinating to watch because although he had reached the conclusion that it was too dangerous for his daughters to stay in King's Landing, he still allowed his honor to get in the way of common sense by warning Cersei that he was going to expose her to Robert and by refusing to agree to either Renly's or Baelish's suggestions while Robert was close to death.

As an honorable man it was abhorrent to him to put Cersei's children in harms way. And I suspect that after seeing Robert hit Cersei, Ned probably felt a bit of pity for her too. Although he was aware enough of the dangers he would face after Robert's death to enlist the aid of Baelish, he couldn't suppress his innate sense of honor (and his anger at Jaime and Cersei's possible role in Bran's injury) enough to see that what was best for the realm was not necessarily what was the most honorable action. His sense of honor left him with no support because having Stannis in power wasn't what Renly, Baelish or Varys wanted. And, even Ned himself didn't seem to think Stannis would make a good king, but he was too blinded by the fact that Stannis was the rightful heir and that he was an experienced soldier to see that perhaps what Renly, Baelish and Varys had proposed may have been better options for the realm - honor be damned.

Renly, Baelish and Varys earlier, all gave him advice that may have kept the realm stable, but would have required Ned to compromise his honor. By keeping quiet about Joffrey not being Robert's birth son, immediate war could have been prevented because, as Baelish bluntly told him, the only way Stannis could become king was if Ned helped him. He also had the option of taking Renly's plan, which was to seize Joffrey immediately and have Renly become king. Since the people loved Renly and hated Stannis. Stannis wouldn't have had much support without Ned.

Maester Aemon's revelation that he was a Targaryen was powerful and it effectively tied into Ned's situation when he told Jon Snow that the Night's Watch were required to give up their ties to their families and never marry or father children so that they wouldn't have to choose between their Night's Watch family and their non-Night's Watch family. He drove that point home by sharing that he was a Targaryen and that even though he was blind and old at the time, he was frustrated at not being able to help his family when the Mad King's children and grandchildren were killed during Robert's rebellion, even though he had sworn to make the Watch his only family.

During that conversation, Jon believed his father would choose honor or what he believed was right over love, but as we saw in the next scene, Jon was wrong. It was painful to see Ned dragged before the crowd and forced to try to protect his daughters by lying and betraying his honor... and all for nothing because of the reckless, bloodthirsty and incredibly foolish, Joffrey.

That entire scene was chilling and unforgettable. And, it was a bold move to have it not happen in the last episode of the season. As one who hasn't read the books yet, I'm looking forward to seeing what the fall out will be.
                      Good review. I don't know if you read the earlier posts in the thread but Westeros is in for a very bloody future. This is speculation but I think what's already been written is nothing compared to a downright apocalyptic conflict coming, though GRRM hasn't written that conflict yet. We're seeing it unfold and slowly take shape in the background... with the scenes involving the Night's Watch this season.
                      sigpic

Comment

Good review. I don't know if you read the earlier posts in the thread but Westeros is in for a very bloody future. This is speculation but I think what's already been written is nothing compared to a downright apocalyptic conflict coming, though GRRM hasn't written that conflict yet. We're seeing it unfold and slowly take shape in the background... with the scenes involving the Night's Watch this season.
                        I'm reading the earlier posts now. You make an interesting point about how there are probably conflicts in the upcoming books that will be even more significant than what's in the books that are already out. GRRM has what - 2 more books in this series coming out? With the 6th coming next month?

So, in a series like this, there has to be more major conflicts to come and I'm looking forward to them. I just hope the series will be around for all the books so that I can have both the book version and the TV version to enjoy.

EDITED TO ADD:

After reading some of the other posts, I'm reminded that the only reason why GoT even came on my radar was because Jason Momoa was going to be in it and then I found out that Sean Bean and Lena Headey were going to be in it. Then, just before the show aired, I started watching the promos and videos of the actors, writers, etc., and suddenly I was also interested in the show itself.

After watching the first episode, I was hooked because of the show. Despite the fact that Sean Bean's character was killed before the end of the first season and Jason Momoa's character, Drogo, is near death, I'm not concerned because GoT is such an ensemble show that although each death has an impact, the deaths won't cripple the show for me.

I plan to ride this puppy to the end.
                        Last edited by maxbo; 15 June 2011, 11:26 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana

Comment

And just like that, you turn into an awesome person in my eyes. I've very much enjoyed your reviews, Maxbo. Keep 'em up for this last episode and next year.

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post

After reading some of the other posts, I'm reminded that the only reason why GoT even came on my radar was because Jason Momoa was going to be in it and then I found out that Sean Bean and Lena Headey were going to be in it. Then, just before the show aired, I started watching the promos and videos of the actors, writers, etc., and suddenly I was also interested in the show itself.
                            Me too!

After watching the first episode, I was hooked because of the show. Despite the fact that Sean Bean's character was killed before the end of the first season and Jason Momoa's character, Drogo, is near death, I'm not concerned because GoT is such an ensemble show that although each death has an impact, the deaths won't cripple the show for me.
                            I read all the books as soon as Jason was cast and couldn't put them down. Now I am just awestruck at the justice they have done to them in this series so far.

I think I'm looking forward to this TV ride more than I've looked forward to any other. Let's just hope they make the whole series!

Just 26 days until the next book comes out
                            Last edited by Lahela; 16 June 2011, 01:18 AM. Reason: typofail
                            sigpic

Comment

Maxbo,

The 5th book will be coming out 7/12/2011. Buy it, read it, love it.

Lahela,

I think the most moving line I've read in the entire series was in the most recent book A Feast for Crows. It's when Maester Aemon wakes and says, "Egg... I dreamed I was old."
                              All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                                Lahela,

I think the most moving line I've read in the entire series was in the most recent book A Feast for Crows. It's when Maester Aemon wakes and says, "Egg... I dreamed I was old."
                                I do believe I shed more than one tear at that point in the book.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X