Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    You mean the NK's Tomahawk missile?

Well Martin did say they're just ice + WW magic. I'd say the NK could very well pickup a new chunk of ice on the floor and throw another missile at Drogon.
    those spears look special not ordinary ice maybe the equivalent of valyrian steel not something that can be made ad hoc
    (MArtin? so the walkers use those spears in the books too?)

And technically, even a dragon's bite could not kill him. Only Valyrian steel can. He's like old people's candy, you can't break him.
    we never see any of the walkers subject to this sort of direct physical attack the best that's shown is swords impact on them & shatter because of the cold

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
      those spears look special not ordinary ice maybe the equivalent of valyrian steel not something that can be made ad hoc
      (MArtin? so the walkers use those spears in the books too?)
      That's right, Martin confirmed WW weapons are just ice imbued with cold magic whereas valyrian steel is steel forged with Dragonfire and blood magic infused. No Spears as of yet, but still unknown how they craft their weapon, all we know is that it's magic ice.

we never see any of the walkers subject to this sort of direct physical attack the best that's shown is swords impact on them & shatter because of the cold
      I guess it's possible, but if you think about it, one small spear can kill a dragon, imagine eating a NK whole.
      Spoiler:
      I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

I guess it's possible, but if you think about it, one small spear can kill a dragon, imagine eating a NK whole.
        no need to eat it then just tear him to shreds. or pin him down till Jon can poke his sword
        iirc those spears were explosive somehow
        at any rate the weapons are not like the makers

btw didn't Arya's dagger have a dragonbone handle? gotta be a reason why they chose this when any material would've sufficed (it's just a hilt)

Comment

Dude this episode was the sketchiest by far, just look at the previous seasons nothing makes sense anymore.

Why did the Giant pickup Lyanna ? He literally crushed everything but her, maybe he wanted to play a game of peek-a-boo?
          Where did Jorah come from? Ghost is a true ghost now.

As for Arya's dagger, it's the same that LF had, not sure what it's made of.
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Dude this episode was the sketchiest by far, just look at the previous seasons nothing makes sense anymore.

Why did the Giant pickup Lyanna ? He literally crushed everything but her, maybe he wanted to play a game of peek-a-boo?
            Where did Jorah come from? Ghost is a true ghost now.

As for Arya's dagger, it's the same that LF had, not sure what it's made of.
            valyrian steel blade + dragonbone hilt
            original owner unknown but probably famous back in their time like maybe forged by the fire of a strong dragon like Balerion anyone's guess is good

giant picked up Lyanna so she could fulfil her destiny as Lyanna the real giant's bane (and rumoured daughter of Tormund)

and most importantly: Ghost says not today
            (implausibly tough doggy to have survived that suicide run but I won't complain on that one)

Comment

Yea well that dagger is definitely one important blade of Valyrian origin, although how it ended up in LF's possession is unknown. All those family heirlooms are pre-doom era.
              Spoiler:

Comment

so how did Melissandre fulfil her destiny anyway

both her interventions turned out to be bleh...

first trick, impressive but emboldened the dothraki enough to charge ahead & cost Dany most of her army (unless that was her intent like a sort of sacrifice)

second trick, light up the trench big deal & the undead "got over it" quickly

Comment

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post
                  so how did Melissandre fulfil her destiny anyway
                  She fulfilled her poorly written conclusion destiny. They probably realized she needed a purpose for the battle so they gave her the barricades. It's sad to say but you can't use GoT lore to explain the show really, so many characters are absent or storylines changed.

Honestly there was a huge story going on with Azor Ahai and they pulled the Arya BS at the last moment, I'm disappointed.

For one, there is the true heir to the throne, Aegon Targaryen IV, son of Rhaegar and his first wife (Elia Martell), who was in hiding all those years and is now landed in Westoros to claim what is his by right. He lives under a pseudonym and escaped the rebellion with a few elite guards of the Crown, the baby that we all thought Gregor smashed to bits wasn't actually the real Targaryen.

Nothing about that guy in the show.
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Again, book canon is nothing more than a suggestion of how show canon may be. There will be details in the book that never make it to the show, and there are aspects of the show that were never in the books.

One cannot be used to validate or invalidate the other.

Even if GRRM gets around to finishing the books (something I doubt he’ll do honestly) he will have hundreds/thousands of pages to use while these guys had a few hundred script pages to wrap up the whole season.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      Even if GRRM gets around to finishing the books (something I doubt he’ll do honestly)
                      has he got someone in the family to take over? (like JRR had Christopher)

Comment

I don’t know. If he had finished the books before they would forever be comparing the show to his books, but now they will be comparing the books to the show...and to many the show canon is what they see first, so some will prefer it, others will wish for more.

Things did divulge enough that if the books are ever done, they will be far different works. He’s had 8 years to write a sequel and has not.

sigpic

Comment

It's not about books vs show. It's about the execution, many things seemed forced and so obvious to me. I'd say the same if such obvious last minute saves were made in any show or movie.

Jorah teleported to Dany, the giant studying Lyanna, Ghost isn't important anymore, Mélissandre resurrecting Jon so he can dance with the dragon, the NK generals literally did nothing at all, etc.

The episode was good I watched it twice, it's the long night alright but nobody should have to pump the brightness settings to the max in order to actually see what's going on.
                          Spoiler:

Comment

I do agree with you on the technical aspects of the episode. Too danged dark. I get that they filmed at night to get it looking ‘right’ and night timey, but I also feel that was a mistake in that so much is lost.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              I do agree with you on the technical aspects of the episode. Too danged dark. I get that they filmed at night to get it looking ‘right’ and night timey, but I also feel that was a mistake in that so much is lost.
                              Meh, it's not a ''mistake'' it was done intentionally for a very simple reason. Saving on CGI cost.

That's also why we don't see Ghost as much, supposedly he's very pricy to CGI, much more than dragons. Something to do with animating his fur.

FYI unless you have a very old TV, I'd suggest re-watching it with brightness settings at 100, it really does a big difference and I enjoyed the episode much more the 2nd time around.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Didnt GRRM give the show writers an outline of how the books were going to go?

Comment

Working...
                                X