The Long Night (803)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
    No worries, I just happened to watch that bit again just now. Still trying to piece together everything.

Is it me or was there many a time when a character seemed to be swarmed by the dead and screaming then a few minutes later back up and fighting again. The way they swarmed the castle shouldnt they have been overwhelmed?
    Yes but I think partially this is due to the dead seemingly getting in their own way. We saw it when they were chasing Arya and there were two or three that were simply stuck in a door frame from trying to get past at the same time. Some of them also aren't armed so while it's overwhelming for our characters when they get swarmed the huge mass of Wights is simultaneously an advantage and disadvantage to the army of the dead.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

there were several undead giants maybe most were taken out by the dothraki horde

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Yes but I think partially this is due to the dead seemingly getting in their own way. We saw it when they were chasing Arya and there were two or three that were simply stuck in a door frame from trying to get past at the same time. Some of them also aren't armed so while it's overwhelming for our characters when they get swarmed the huge mass of Wights is simultaneously an advantage and disadvantage to the army of the dead.
        True, hadnt thought of it like that.

So will losing Jorah make Dany more crazy do we reckon? Could drive more of a wedge between her and Jon...

Comment

anyone else LOLed at the stupidest military tactic ever?
          right-click on dothraki army, click on fog-of-war
          even in an RPG this is dumb

plus even if the dothraki use fear as a tactic they should've known they were fighting dead men who know no fear so rules change

so that's over 10k dothraki soldiers down the drain (but hey at least they got the badass death they want - in combat)

Comment

True, hadnt thought of it like that.

So will losing Jorah make Dany more crazy do we reckon? Could drive more of a wedge between her and Jon...
            It certainly won’t improve matters.

Originally posted by SoulReaver View Post

plus even if the dothraki use fear as a tactic they should've known they were fighting dead men who know no fear so rules change

so that's over 10k dothraki soldiers down the drain (but hey at least they got the badass death they want - in combat)
            The thing that occurred to me is that the flaming swords will have ruined their night vision. Like they will have been standing there, letting their eyes adjust to the dark and then suddenly this Red Woman comes along and sets all their swords on fire so they can’t see Beyond the head of their horse. Mellisandre basically killed them...
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              Mellisandre basically killed them...
              funny thing is right after that fire spell she said "all men must die" hehe

not even sure the fire helped much since they already had dragonglass weapons

maybe the dothraki needed to be eliminated cause they're an unreliable asset (just like the ironborn whose culture's similar) if they're alive once there's peace who's to say they won't go back to their usual ways & cause chaos in Westeros
              the only thing holding them back is a sort of superstitious devotion to Dany but for how long

Comment

I strongly suspect that the Dothraki - like the Unsullied - most of them anyway, would want nothing more than to just go home where it’s warm. (and to the suspicious cultures, a land where the dead do not walk)
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

An interesting watch, especially the bit about the dagger going in exactly where the children of the gods originally stabbed him...

Comment

I've been gone for a long while. Hi.
                    even when Dany survives fire her clothes still burn off

it's almost like the NK created some sort of deflector shield around himself (but that's just the Star Trek/Star Wars fan talking)
                    We saw something like this at Hard Home. The Night King walked through fire. Or rather, the fire snuffed out as he approached it.

Updating skydiver's list: Jamie, Brienne, and Pod fought together as the NK neared Bran & Theon. Tormund and Gendry (I think it was him) were shown standing after Arya killed the Night King. It was brief, and I'm not 100% certain it was Gendry. Grey Worm and the Hound were shown alive some 10-30 seconds before the NK's death. Sam was holding Lyanna Mormont seconds before NK death. I think it's safe to say they're all alive.

Jorah - Dead
                    Sam - alive
                    Tormand - alive
                    Ghost - alive
                    Dany - Alive
                    Jon - alive
                    Brienne - alive
                    Pod - alive
                    Gendry - probably alive (standing beside Tormund? not 100% sure it's him)
                    Sansa - alive
                    Davos - alive
                    Red witch - dead (or whatever it is with her, she finished her tasks and left the world basically)
                    Grey Worm - alive
                    Tyrion - alive
                    Jamie - alive
                    Bran - alive
                    Hound - alive
                    Theon - most likely dead, seemed to be a mortal wound
                    Varys - alive
                    Lyanna Mormont - dead (took out a dragon, good girl, feisty little thing)
                    Beric - dead
                    Arya - alive and killed the freaking night king....you go girl
                    Gilly and little Sam - likely alive

I feel like TPTB should have killed 2-3 more from the group of Jamie, Brienne, Pod, Hound, Gendry, and Tormund. I guess they needed Davos for the last scene. Otherwise him, too. It's not that I want to lose any of them. I like them all. It's just that when so many of them escape a near-certain death that appears to claim everyone around them, well, my eyes reflexively roll in disbelief.

But that's a quibble. It was an epic episode. I was impressed by the pacing that the show runners discuss in the "Inside the Episode" segment afterward. The ebb and flow, the switch to different mini-stories, and other decisions they made so that we don't grow weary of 80 minutes of battle. They succeeded.

Comment

As much as an 80 minute battle would have been awesome, I agree it would have got wearisome especially as it is literally the dead. Its not like there are meaningful battles between characters like The Hound vs The Mountain (which I think we all know we will probably get at some point...). The character moments were a nice breather.

I also agree it was a good decision to go from the wide open battle to the tight corridors of Winterfell, that bit was tense!

Comment

DId you mean that Sam was holding Gilly? Cause Lyanna was totally dead. the NK revived her, so she surely died when he did
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Gendry is alive, I spotted him in the trailer.

Also, anyone think Aryas run is really weird after her scene with the red witch?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                            DId you mean that Sam was holding Gilly? Cause Lyanna was totally dead. the NK revived her, so she surely died when he did
                            Good point. I don't know, then, who was beside Sam when we see him for a second or two. Gilly and little Sam stayed in the crypt. They're okay unless an undead Stark grabbed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                              Good point. I don't know, then, who was beside Sam when we see him for a second or two. Gilly and little Sam stayed in the crypt. They're okay unless an undead Stark grabbed them.
                              Didnt Gilly get dragged off by a wight? She wasnt with the crypt group at the end.

Comment

I rarely get surprised but they played it well on Arya killing the NK. I thought it would be Jon also. I had suspected her weapon was somehow connected to killing the NK. (idk if you saw the theory but many speculated she'd throw her spear, the NK would catch it between his hands and then the head part would pop out like a crossbow, headshotting the NK).

I don't know if you guys noticed, but the dagger Arya used to kill the NK has been through a lot of stuff. Remember the hired man sent to assassinate Bran? That was the very same dagger.

Lol I admit they could've at least waited till the dead were closer. Dothraki can't fight in ranks though so at some point they'd need to be set loose. They went full zergling rush, bad call.

Didnt Gilly get dragged off by a wight? She wasnt with the crypt group at the end.
                                I thought she got grabbed too.
                                Spoiler:
                                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X