Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the seasons so weird in the show and why are the people so backward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post

Aside from that, it was far more likely (given what we know) for the good guys to be the better fighters in Lord of the Rings (books) rather than the complete opposite in the movies, where there were few if any casualties on the side of the Mordor at, say, Minas Tirith before Rohan showed up...For a civilization that had existed for 3,000 years, even in decline, the soldiers of Gondor were pretty useless.
    I don't recall that, reading the book all those decades ago. Most of the fighting was VERY one sided.
    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
      Without any connection to the real world , It serves little purpose, but to occupy time.
      Hi, welcome to "fiction."
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Hi, welcome to "fiction."
        Yes but like it or not, all writers draw from their real life experiences to write and say something. So it is important to explore what the medium of 'fantasy fiction' brings to his story.

Why change the seasons at all?

Life in the medieval world was absolutely horrible unless you were some one of power. Even then if winter lasts long enough; most plant life will die off as will most large animal life and then the population that depends on that will die off in massed starvation.
        Last edited by psl1; 17 April 2013, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Yes but like it or not, all writers draw from their real life experiences to write and say something. So it is important to explore what the medium of 'fantasy fiction' brings to his story.

Why change the seasons at all?

Life in the medieval world was absolutely horrible unless you were some one of power. Even then if winter lasts long enough; most plant life will die off as will most large animal life and then the population that depends on that will die off in massed starvation.
          Again, all will be explained.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes but like it or not, all writers draw from their real life experiences to write and say something.
            That's a lie perpetuated by high school English teachers.

Writing never, ever has to "say something." People read and write for pleasure every bit as much--if not more than--to climb up on the proverbial soapbox.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              That's a lie perpetuated by high school English teachers.

Writing never, ever has to "say something." People read and write for pleasure every bit as much--if not more than--to climb up on the proverbial soapbox.
              Exactly. I'm a firm believer in that if a writer says that the curtains were blue...he didn't mean that to reflect his inner sadness or some bs like that. He meant that the curtains were freaking blue.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                Exactly. I'm a firm believer in that if a writer says that the curtains were blue...he didn't mean that to reflect his inner sadness or some bs like that. He meant that the curtains were freaking blue.
                That’s not what I'm talking about. Either a writer is just writing to make money and has nothing to say but cone gullible people into buying his books [might work in short term but never lasts] or he has something he/she feels a deep enough need to communicate. It could not last 7 books without some kind of basic driving point behind it.

Comment

That's absurd.

Comment

All life will not die every winter....hasn't for thousands of years. Heck, even on this planet all life didn't die during the ice ages. In the GoT world, those that can migrate where it's warmer.

If you look at life forms on this world, we have animals with antifreeze in their blood so that they can live in the antarctic year round. LIfe is persistent.

A person can't make this fictional world be 'normal' any more than they can hold VUlcan or Dagobah or Bespin to earth standards. Look at the giant space slug in Star Wars, applying 'earth' standards, that critter shouldn't be able to exist in a vacuum, but it did.

It's FICTION. Thus 'reality' is whatever the author decides reality is.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Then this is exactly where the suspension of disbelief dies....oh while life may live on- civilization [as we know it] would collapse and only raise again based on invention and innovation; but that’s a human thing. Then there’s ‘Nuclear Winter’ or E.L.E.

If the world is all in winter for 10 years, where is life going to migrate to?

Comment

...To the south? Where winter is less harsh.

Again, it is fantasy. It does not have to make complete sense.
                        sigpic

Comment

Then this is exactly where the suspension of disbelief dies....oh while life may live on- civilization [as we know it] would collapse and only raise again based on invention and innovation; but that’s a human thing. Then there’s ‘Nuclear Winter’ or E.L.E.

If the world is all in winter for 10 years, where is life going to migrate to?
                          Perhaps that's why they're still so "backwards" to use your own words...
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            Perhaps that's why they're still so "backwards" to use your own words...

I guess I'll have to wait and see. I like little Robb Starks command skills ; good decoy maneuver to steal away Jaime Lannister in the first season. If this keeps up it might still be worth watching.

Comment

That’s not what I'm talking about. Either a writer is just writing to make money and has nothing to say but cone gullible people into buying his books [might work in short term but never lasts] or he has something he/she feels a deep enough need to communicate. It could not last 7 books without some kind of basic driving point behind it.
                              If you want some deep basic driving point behind the books and the series, then here's something for you: There are no black and white characters. No character or house is completely good nor evil. Every single character and organization has elements of both, which is a good reflection of real life. In reality there has never been a person that has been completely good or completely evil and the books and series are indicative of that.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              I thought I had heard/read a theory once
                              Spoiler:
                              the GOT world isn't like ours in that it's not big, planets revolving around a sun, but an inside solar system...as in the 'sun' is inside a massive sphere, and the people walk inside the outer shell...that's what's represented by the open, those revolving bands.

I'm honestly expecting....anyone remember the old Clash of the TItans? I'm talking the one in the 80's, with Harry Hamlin and BUrgess Meredith. Where zeus put playing pieces down into the stadium of life...that that's what we'll end up with in the end, that the whole show has been nothing but a RPG, a game that two people were playing. And what we were watching as 'reality' was them playing their game. ANd it gets played over and over and over. and maybe one reason the seasons are so unpredictible...they are as long as a roll of hte dice dictates they are.
                              Spoiler:
                              I had the same thought as you, that the Game was being played out by R'hllor and the Great Other in a celestial setting.
                              Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 24 April 2013, 07:17 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Oh crap, its no longer on Showcase- in Canada. The show has been replaced by 'Boring Walk Empire'.

I wonder if its ratings fell?

Comment

Working...
                                X