Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO renews Game of Thrones for a third season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from his livejournal account
    Yes, it's official.

HBO has ordered a third season of GAME OF THRONES.

Like the first two seasons, it will be ten episodes long. This one will cover (roughly) the first half or thereabouts of A STORM OF SWORDS, the third novel in the series.

I'll be writing the seventh episode, with the working title "Autumn Storms."

Full details can be found at a dozen other places on the web, so I won't rehash 'em here. Just wanted to pass along the news to my faithful readers.

We had a grab event tonight at the Bloomsbury Theatre. Now I'm tired. night, all.
    http://grrm.livejournal.com/
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Bam, confirmation. Awesome.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        Bam, confirmation. Awesome.
        Yeah the showrunners, David and Dan confirmed that some time ago. It was always their intention to split up a Storm Of Swords. The major rumour going round was that the show would be renewed for seasons 3 and 4 and they would be shot back to back, but they both shot this idea down, as it would be an unfeasible amount of work for them.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Hopefully. Though I imagine that for (at least) books 4 and 5, they'll probably try to intertwine the stories of both books instead of doing the geographical separation thing. I imagine it would make that part of the story take at least two seasons/years, if not more.
          So the fourth and fifth books cover roughly the same timespan, just from different perspectives?

And yay for 3rd book being split between 2 seasons. That means even more GoT awesomeness, but probably means I will have to read the books instead of doing my plan of reading the book after each season, since I haven't read the books.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah. Feast of crows? And dance with dragons take place during the same time, which was kinda funky to read. Like, jan - August or whatever for a few of the characters, then jan - august all over again. And with dragons the reader knows characters fates before the other characters do.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              Yeah. Feast of crows? And dance with dragons take place during the same time, which was kinda funky to read. Like, jan - August or whatever for a few of the characters, then jan - august all over again. And with dragons the reader knows characters fates before the other characters do.
              Well maybe they will still have 1 season for each book, they will just intertwine the stories, and have the approximate halfway point in each book as the end of the first of those two seasons.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm very happy that it's been renewed
                I'm glad they're splitting ASoS into 2 seasons. I'm pretty sure they'll blend books 4 and 5 together, but hopefully they won't try to squash everything in those two books into one season. Some stuff could be cut out or condensed, but I still think it would be too much for one season only. I hope the show does well enough to make it through all the way to the end the series(I think it will); GRRM just better be finished with the series by then though .
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                  I'm very happy that it's been renewed
                  I'm glad they're splitting ASoS into 2 seasons. I'm pretty sure they'll blend books 4 and 5 together, but hopefully they won't try to squash everything in those two books into one season. Some stuff could be cut out or condensed, but I still think it would be too much for one season only. I hope the show does well enough to make it through all the way to the end the series(I think it will); GRRM just better be finished with the series by then though .
                  I hope so too. With Seasons 1 & 2 taking up Books 1 & 2, Book 3 being split into Seasons 3 and 4, potentially books 4 and 5 getting two seasons, and then book six and seven getting a season apiece, that's 8 seasons. And that's if no more books are split.
                  sigpic

Comment

What I hope they're going to do with 4 and 5 is do what GRRM started with, chronological order. He then divided it up when the book was just too massive, and chose to split it up along character lines instead of timeline.

Well if there's a good middle point event maybe 4 and 5 are two separate seasons, but the story is told chronologically instead of basically not seeing Jon and the Night's Watch for a season then doing a 'oh, by the way.....'

Retelling will be confusing and frustrating to many and could hurt ratings right at a vulnerable point in the show (season 3+ is when ratings tend to start dropping off)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                      Well maybe they will still have 1 season for each book, they will just intertwine the stories, and have the approximate halfway point in each book as the end of the first of those two seasons.
                      What I hope they're going to do with 4 and 5 is do what GRRM started with, chronological order. He then divided it up when the book was just too massive, and chose to split it up along character lines instead of timeline.
                      Yeah, that's what I said earlier in the thread, would probably be a good idea
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I can't say that I agree with how GRRM divided it up. Book 5 was kinda hard to read having to remember to rewind history. You sorta started book 5 having a general idea where it'd end.

sigpic

Comment

I can't say that I agree with how GRRM divided it up. Book 5 was kinda hard to read having to remember to rewind history. You sorta started book 5 having a general idea where it'd end.
                          I found it difficult to get through LOTR because books 2 and 3 were divided between 2 points of view. I can't imagine a whole book being from one essential perspective with another book being from another.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                            we landed on the moon?
                            underrated post

Comment

Sure, Morbo...Lol
                              sigpic

Comment

I do need to get back to the books.

I took a break after finishing the second so I wouldn't burn out...I was at the point where if I read "milk of the poppy" or "a man grown" one more time I would've personally hunted down GRRM and smacked him on the head with a thesaurus a couple (dozen) times

But that aside, they're such good solid entertaining books....really need to get back to them.

Comment

Working...
                                X