Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The series and books - How will they do it? (Spoilers for books and series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's POSSIBLE that GRRM is under some 'finish the danged books' contract....as in finish the story by such and such date or we reserve the right to finish it for you'

HBO is smart enough not to get themselves in a corner, so I'm sure they have some sort of out.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      It's POSSIBLE that GRRM is under some 'finish the danged books' contract....as in finish the story by such and such date or we reserve the right to finish it for you'

HBO is smart enough not to get themselves in a corner, so I'm sure they have some sort of out.
      I don't think he is. I think HBO have the rights to do the adaptation, I think GRRM can go as fast or slow as he wants with the books. But HBO can do what they like with the adaptation, they can if they want change everything. They consult with GRRM, but that's a courtesy, they don't have to if they don't want to, and they could very well ignore him completely if they want.

Hence I don't think HBO are too worried about been stuck in a corner. They'll just change things if necessary with their stuff.

As for budget I don't think we need to worry too much, the ratings countries to go up, and they have a lot of leeway to fluctuate. Rome which cost HBO much more, and got less viewers, was still profitable for HBO, and though they cancelled it, they then said they regretted doing that as they were actually making money. Now bearing in mind that GOT gets more than twice the ratings than Rome, and there isn't too much to worry about.

More importantly what HBO really care about are subscribers, and since most people are subscribing for GOT, it's a safe bet that HBO will keep it going for a good while yet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
        I don't think he is. I think HBO have the rights to do the adaptation, I think GRRM can go as fast or slow as he wants with the books. But HBO can do what they like with the adaptation
        This is essentially what GRRM said in an interview that I read. GRRM also said he'd given the producers an outline of where he intended to take the story, and how we wanted to end it. He said he hoped the series wouldn't catch up to his writing (yeah, right! dream on.) but that the producers had everything they needed to move forward without him.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
          This is essentially what GRRM said in an interview that I read. GRRM also said he'd given the producers an outline of where he intended to take the story, and how we wanted to end it. He said he hoped the series wouldn't catch up to his writing (yeah, right! dream on.) but that the producers had everything they needed to move forward without him.
          Indeed and I think this is what will happen, they'll use that outline to end the series at some point. If anyone thinks otherwise (and to be honest I think that's very few people, people here for example are quite realistic about the pace and current quality of GRRM's writing) then they are pretty damn naive.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
            Indeed and I think this is what will happen, they'll use that outline to end the series at some point. If anyone thinks otherwise (and to be honest I think that's very few people, people here for example are quite realistic about the pace and current quality of GRRM's writing) then they are pretty damn naive.
            Well, I'd LIKE to think the books will come out first...

Of course...I'm not naive...Lol
            sigpic

Comment

he may get the next book out in the next year or so but I don't see the one after that for at least 2-3 after that

I can honestly see HBO wrapping it up in 5-6 years and then the kerfluffle will be 'who ended it better, HBO or GRRM?' because it will likey be said that his last books are an adaption of their show

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                Well, I'd LIKE to think the books will come out first...

Of course...I'm not naive...Lol
                Ok well there's a difference between what we would like to happen, and what we think will actually happen.

Comment

I think it could actually be kinda funny to have the show finish first, then have GRRM either live up to or excel beyond what the tv writers do. I'm not in the fandom so no worries about surviving a fan war(cause you know there'll be one)

It'll be interesting if a visualization of a book eventually becomes a novelization of a show. Don't think it's ever happened. The closest was harry potter, but she had the books done well before the movies caught up

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X