Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Books (Spoilers for everything)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    Stray Clash of Kings thoughts as I go through, wondering how season two will work out: One, the Battle of Blackwater Bay, with the wildfire and the boom chain, has to be shown in full. Reads as epic, will look epic. Two, Brienne is awesome, and I bet they'll do her justice in the series (Hell, probably have an attractive actress playing her somehow. Bonus). Three, Dany's storyline this book is... pretty out there, and I wonder how it'll look on screen or how they'll translate it as such. Four, I heard Robb and Jaime will be getting some expanded stuff in season two, Jaime's from Storm of Swords and Robb's just so we can see Richard Madden - I think a lot of Robb's will probably be reacting to Theon's betrayals while expositing on the battles he's fighting. I don't mind in the slightest.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Robb's story line, since he's not a POV character and you only hear about his exploits through another main character.

As for the battle, I think most of us have great expectations for it. The battle is critical not only for its epic nature but also for the character actions that take place.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm also going a little crazy wondering what scenes we'll see that are only described and restricted by the POV nature of things, and what new scenes we'll see. If they try and put Jon's or Dany's storylines over ten episodes (Or even eight of the ten), there'll be a bit of fleshing out going on, I'd think, especially for Halfhand in Jon's storyline to make it more tragic by the end. And even not, we'll still have room for more Davos or some Littlefinger or...

Long story short, a lot of people have wondered if ten episodes is too little to show everything from this book. I say it'll do just fine - off the top of my head, the only storyline that might get cut down a little is Bran's and his wolf dreams, but I hope not. Ugh, next year's season is too far away... and I haven't even started the third book yet!
      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Brienne is awesome.
        *nod nod* She very quickly became one of my favourite characters. Awesome indeed
        sigpic

Comment

Long story short, a lot of people have wondered if ten episodes is too little to show everything from this book. I say it'll do just fine - off the top of my head, the only storyline that might get cut down a little is Bran's and his wolf dreams, but I hope not. Ugh, next year's season is too far away... and I haven't even started the third book yet!
          That's nothing to complain about, you've still got 3 books of greatness to keep you busy
          sigpic

Comment

Matt,

Stray Clash of Kings thoughts as I go through, wondering how season two will work out: One, the Battle of Blackwater Bay, with the wildfire and the boom chain, has to be shown in full. Reads as epic, will look epic. Two, Brienne is awesome, and I bet they'll do her justice in the series (Hell, probably have an attractive actress playing her somehow. Bonus). Three, Dany's storyline this book is... pretty out there, and I wonder how it'll look on screen or how they'll translate it as such. Four, I heard Robb and Jaime will be getting some expanded stuff in season two, Jaime's from Storm of Swords and Robb's just so we can see Richard Madden - I think a lot of Robb's will probably be reacting to Theon's betrayals while expositing on the battles he's fighting. I don't mind in the slightest.
            I forgot that Robb is barely in ACOK. You see him in the begining and then he disappears until the start of ASOS.
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

We really need to see the Blackwater Battle rendered... and rendered well. Stannis getting his ass handed to him through Tyrion's plans is too good to pass up. I'm looking forward to seeing Dany in Qarth. We've been treated to Pentos, Vaes Dothrak, and various places in the Dothraki Sea but a large city like Qarth is a good dose of Essos, and seeing how different the eastern lands are from the rest of Westeros, especially with those warlocks.

I'd like to eventually see is Asshai and the Shadow Lands. We've gotten little hints about this mysterious domain. I get the feeling that Dany will end up out there somehow. It may be her way home is to go east and not west. With magical forces brewing in the background, this could very well happen.

On a rather random note: Does anyone else get the sense that R'hllor isn't what his followers make him out to be? He's called the Lord of Light, Heart of Fire, etc. which on the surface might seem like a good thing, especially with how Dany seems to be fulfilling the Azor Ahai prophecy. However, I can't help but think that R'hllor is a deceiver and that neither he nor the Great Other are what we think. Yes, I'm suspicious when it comes to the religious stuff.
              sigpic

Comment

R'Hollaorantgmakfm is the Ori. Hallowed are the Ori.

But hey, if his preistesses are as hot as my mental image of Mellisandre is, I'll sign up.
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                  On a rather random note: Does anyone else get the sense that R'hllor isn't what his followers make him out to be? He's called the Lord of Light, Heart of Fire, etc. which on the surface might seem like a good thing, especially with how Dany seems to be fulfilling the Azor Ahai prophecy. However, I can't help but think that R'hllor is a deceiver and that neither he nor the Great Other are what we think. Yes, I'm suspicious when it comes to the religious stuff.
                  Absolutely - there has been something that has felt... off about the whole thing since the beginning. That may just be my natural suspicion of anyone claiming to be a saviour, but I suspect there are some nasty magical intent-on-world-domination machinations going on. But I don't think Mellisandre is evil, I think she honestly believes in her god.

Mind you, the more I try to speculate or hypothesize, the more I doubt that I'm anywhere close to what GRRM is going to do!
                  sigpic

Comment

R'Hollaorantgmakfm is the Ori. Hallowed are the Ori.

But hey, if his preistesses are as hot as my mental image of Mellisandre is, I'll sign up.
                    Someone partial to redheads?

Comment

Holy **** Sam just killed an Other. Awe-some.

Comment

More stray thoughts as I go through Storm of Swords. If at any time people want me to start using spoiler-tags, for whatever reason, tell me now.
                        So...
                        - Jaime's POV may not have the best events happening in them, but it's probably my favourite character to follow, simply because of the pure snark. The stuff with Brienne is priceless.
                        - Red. Wedding. And what they did to Robb and Gray Wind and Cat afterwards... Beyond cruel. Heart pounding to read it happen, and absolutely brutal to hear about afterwards.
                        - Poor Sansa. Just... Poor Sansa. Thank ye Gods Tyrion's not doing anything force-y with her.
                        - Mormont Sr's and Ygritte's deaths were ouch. I wonder who'll play Ygritte in the series... Another pretty redhead!
                        - I wonder how the show's going to hide Barristan's identity as Artisan. Same actor, prosthetics and a different name at the end credits? Or just let the audience know right away and leave Dany and Jorah to figure it out as they do in the book? Either way, I didn't see that reveal coming, and it was wicked awesome.
                        - Davos man, I love you and all, but I think you're heading the way of Ned Stark.
                        - Back to the Red Wedding (), I wonder how it'll look on screen. Brutal as all hell, I'd bet, and I'd kinda like to see Gray Wind's last stand too...

Ugh, this series. So awesome.

EDIT: Damn. I was hoping Joffrey's death would be more bloody than that, but ahh well. Goood times.
                        Last edited by MattSilver 3k; 25 June 2011, 05:39 AM.

Comment

'Tis mightily fun reliving the books with you as you read them, Matt
                          sigpic

Comment

Lol I'd bet. Just finished up the very hilarious wedding night of Littlefinger and Lysa... God I hope that remains as is in the show. Hilarious.

Also, dat Mountain Vs Red Viper fight. And to think I thought Tyrion would get out of this one...

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                              Matt,

I forgot that Robb is barely in ACOK. You see him in the begining and then he disappears until the start of ASOS.
                              I forgot that too; the events in ACOK and ASOS blend together in my head, and I haven't gotten around to rereading them yet(I can't find where I put my books). I keep thinking that certain things happened in ACOK, but they probaly don't happen until ASOS. I remember most of what happens, but not really when/what book.

When would Robb have met his wife(ACOK or ASOS)? I think(but don't really remember) that Catelyn finds out from Robb when he gets back(in ASOS?)since he doesn't have POV chapters we don't see their meeting(Robb and his wife's), but would it have happened during ACOK? I'm confused lol. I know he met her while he was off fighting; he defeated her father in battle, she treated his wounds(and possibly drugged him with some kind of love potion), he took her virginity, and so felt the need to marry her, despite being in contract to marry someone else; giving Frey the final excuse he needed for the red wedding.
                              Last edited by VampyreWraith; 25 June 2011, 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling and clarification
                              sigpic

Comment

EDIT: Damn. I was hoping Joffrey's death would be more bloody than that, but ahh well. Goood times.
                                Yea I was looking forward to a more gruesome ending, but he still got what he deserved in the end.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X