Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Books (Spoilers for everything)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm wondering how I'm going to interact with the rest of the world until after I've finished reading ADWD.

VW,

I can't wait for A Dance with Dragons to come out; I'm also kind of tempted to go to the book signing in nyc on July 14th.
    Go, GRRM is really great with fans. I'm going to get my copy signed in August at the Reno Worldcon.
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Took me about 2 weeks to finish all 4 books. The fourth book I was just as engrossed in, however I felt cheated a bit. The lack of "main" character arcs was frustrating to me. Even some of the "secondary" characters were missing, and I was slightly displeased. What happened with Davos made me somewhat bitter because I could't validate in my head whether it was really him or not, due to lack of his character chapters.

I've already pre-ordered Dance with Dragons through the Apple Bookstore.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
        Took me about 2 weeks to finish all 4 books. The fourth book I was just as engrossed in, however I felt cheated a bit. The lack of "main" character arcs was frustrating to me. Even some of the "secondary" characters were missing, and I was slightly displeased. What happened with Davos made me somewhat bitter because I could't validate in my head whether it was really him or not, due to lack of his character chapters.

I've already pre-ordered Dance with Dragons through the Apple Bookstore.
        A Feast of Crows and A Dance with Dragons were originally supposed to be one book but he broke out into 2 separate ones. I'm sure all the main characters you missed will be present in ADWD.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
          A Feast of Crows and A Dance with Dragons were originally supposed to be one book but he broke out into 2 separate ones. I'm sure all the main characters you missed will be present in ADWD.
          I'm wondering, given the 6 years that have passed, if that's really how he's going to play it out. I find myself less interested now in rehashing those events with the others perspective versus a continuation of the storyline.

Hopefully we'll just get flashbacks from the missing characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
            I'm wondering, given the 6 years that have passed, if that's really how he's going to play it out. I find myself less interested now in rehashing those events with the others perspective versus a continuation of the storyline.

Hopefully we'll just get flashbacks from the missing characters.
            I think to advance the story line we would still need to see the perspective of those characters. The main characters that were omitted in AFOC can't just be skipped over, it isn't his style.
            sigpic

Comment

OK, I'm about 40% of the way through A Feast for Crows. At first I found the book a little tedious given the change from all the huge battles in books 2 and 3. However, I'm finding Cersei very... amusing.

Major spoilers for all the books:

Spoiler:
              I was laughing quite a bit with her getting drunk (shades of Robert there!) and then her wondering whether Margaery is the one in that witch's prophecy. What wonderful irony that Cersei seems to be on her way to acting like the man she most hated.

Now this is speculation, with all the intrigues at court, it suddenly occurred to me that by the time Dany crosses the Narrow Sea with her brood of dragons, she might not have any human enemies to oppose her. I think when she finally returns, she'll probably think, "WTF happened to my homeland?!" because:
              • She'll likely find all the nobles who would block her move are dead because they annihilated each other.
              • The Wall finally tumbled down from the Horn of Winter and the Others have obliterated an already weakened Westeros due to the War of the Five Kings and the endless political wrangling.
              • Most of the land north of the Twins is shackled in ice.
              • Instead of fighting the other nobles, she'll be shocked to be fighting an army of the living dead, lead by nearly invincible creatures of ice whose only 2 vulnerabilities are obsidian and fire.
              In light of all this, she'll be viewed not as an invader but as a savior. Dragonfire won't be viewed as a threat to the people but a powerful weapon against the Others.
              Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 15 June 2011, 08:56 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post

Spoiler:
                I was laughing quite a bit with her getting drunk (shades of Robert there!) and then her wondering whether Margaery is the one in that witch's prophecy. What wonderful irony that Cersei seems to be on her way to acting like the man she most hated.

Now this is speculation, with all the intrigues at court, it suddenly occurred to me that by the time Dany crosses the Narrow Sea with her brood of dragons, she might not have any human enemies to oppose her. I think when she finally returns, she'll probably think, "WTF happened to my homeland?!" because:
                • She'll likely find all the nobles who would block her move are dead because they annihilated each other.
                • The Wall finally tumbled down from the Horn of Winter and the Others have obliterated an already weakened Westeros due to the War of the Five Kings and the endless political wrangling.
                • Most of the land north of the Twins is shackled in ice.
                • Instead of fighting the other nobles, she'll be shocked to be fighting an army of the living dead, lead by nearly invincible creatures of ice whose only 2 vulnerabilities are obsidian and fire.
                In light of all this, she'll be viewed not as an invader but as a savior. Dragonfire won't be viewed as a threat to the people but a powerful weapon against the Others.
                Regarding Dany I was thinking the same thing starting back from the 3rd book. I realize she had her own adventure but it felt like she was totally sheltered from everything. And with characters dropping like flies it wouldn't have been surprising.

Ultimately, my thinking (and others as well) is

Spoiler:
                That the Others and Wildlings will eventually invade and it will be up to Jon and Dany to go into battle together to save the Seven Kingdoms.
                sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                  That the Others and Wildlings will eventually invade and it will be up to Jon and Dany to go into battle together to save the Seven Kingdoms.
                  Yep, that's how I see it too.
                  Spoiler:
                  I see Jon and Dany leading the fight, with Arya and maybe Tyrion (and possibly Bran too) helping out in a major way.
                  sigpic

Comment

Regarding Dany I was thinking the same thing starting back from the 3rd book. I realize she had her own adventure but it felt like she was totally sheltered from everything. And with characters dropping like flies it wouldn't have been surprising.

Spoiler:
                    Spoiler:
                    Yep, that's what I was thinking too. It'll be downright apocalyptic and I don't see any room in this war for the likes of Littlefinger, Varys, or most of the remaining nobles. I think they'll all destroy each other or be destroyed when the invaders from beyond the Wall finally come into Westeros. I have a feeling Tyrion still has a role to play though. I think he'll be helping Jon and Dany, with Jon leading the battered remnants of the Night's Watch as infantry, Tyrion and perhaps Ser Barristan Selmy leading cavalry, and Bran and the remaining Starks using their increasing magical abilities to also help in the coming war. I know that the people of Dorne will back Dany as they want "fire and blood" (the Targaryen motto). I also think that Dorne, especially the desert, will be a battleground as it'll likely be one of the last few warm places in Westeros after winter sets in.
                    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 15 June 2011, 10:10 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sorry if I repeat anything that's been said before, but I only just started reading the books and I don't want to spoiler myself by reading the earlier posts.

I couldn't help but compare what scenes were left out/added/changed for the TV adaptation. Now, this is not a complaint at all, I think they did an amazing job of bringing the books to the screen. Still, there was one missing scene and one added scene that have me puzzled.

So Khal Drogo does live in palaces, and he does wear 'normal' clothes when he's in Pentos. They didn't show this on TV, which is a shame, because it makes his character so much more one-dimensional.

And was the scene with Tyrion whoring about before the feast really necessary? I'm at the point in the book where Jon Snow leaves for the Night's Watch, and until now Tyrion has only been portrayed as a scholar. He made one passing reference that by joining the Night's Watch he would put a whole host of whores out of business, but that was all. I wonder what the purpose was to set him up as such a leacher.

sigpic
                      Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Making my way through Clash of Kings now after reading through Game of Thrones. Goooood stuff. Already I'm wondering what will be trimmed or distilled or changed around for the series, and where episodes will end et cetera et cetera. For one, I think Peter Dinklage is probably going to get the top billing spot - Tyrion's getting a lot of coverage here, and is being ridiculously awesome as he does so (Getting rid of Slynt, uncovering Pycelle et cetera).

One thing that I like is how the series's new scenes are bolstering the book for me, becoming a sort-of mixed canon. I mean, the Renly stuff here is just classic when I remember the scene with him and Loras in episode five - he has a Rainbow Guard, for christ's sakes, and his wife... Just lol.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Guys

With regard to what's ahead:

Spoiler:
                          I seriously doubt it will be a simple as everyone coming together to fight the Others. The political machinations will continue throughout the series. I will not shock me to see LF come out on top at the end of the day. Don't forget Tyrion, per GRRM, is one of the most sympathic "villains" he claims he's ever written. Don't be suprised if Tyrion ends up in a very dark place.

My two cents.
                          All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                            Guys

With regard to what's ahead:

Spoiler:
                            I seriously doubt it will be a simple as everyone coming together to fight the Others. The political machinations will continue throughout the series. I will not shock me to see LF come out on top at the end of the day. Don't forget Tyrion, per GRRM, is one of the most sympathic "villains" he claims he's ever written. Don't be suprised if Tyrion ends up in a very dark place.

My two cents.
                            Spoiler:
                            I think the coming together will be anything but simple. There will likely be a lot of maneuvering and scheming still to come. But GRRM has been building up the threat from beyond the wall for so long now, it has to come to an epic peak at some point. If it does, there has to be some resistance from the other side, and what they have now won't cut it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                              I think the coming together will be anything but simple. There will likely be a lot of maneuvering and scheming still to come. But GRRM has been building up the threat from beyond the wall for so long now, it has to come to an epic peak at some point. If it does, there has to be some resistance from the other side, and what they have now won't cut it.
                              ^That. I wasn't picturing anything simple either.
                              sigpic

Comment

Stray Clash of Kings thoughts as I go through, wondering how season two will work out: One, the Battle of Blackwater Bay, with the wildfire and the boom chain, has to be shown in full. Reads as epic, will look epic. Two, Brienne is awesome, and I bet they'll do her justice in the series (Hell, probably have an attractive actress playing her somehow. Bonus). Three, Dany's storyline this book is... pretty out there, and I wonder how it'll look on screen or how they'll translate it as such. Four, I heard Robb and Jaime will be getting some expanded stuff in season two, Jaime's from Storm of Swords and Robb's just so we can see Richard Madden - I think a lot of Robb's will probably be reacting to Theon's betrayals while expositing on the battles he's fighting. I don't mind in the slightest.
                                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                                X