This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
    I hope they release the season 3 DVDs soon I have seen all of season 1 & 2 I read what happens but I want to watch it I won't be able to get cable any time soon so I can't watch it when everybody else does. I am a season behind at the moment.
    yeah they really need to get the dvds/blu-rays out within two to three months of the game of thrones seasons being shown on tv. not every game of thrones fan in australia has cable tv. bringing out the dvds/blu-rays sooner would be a good move.

Comment

Well with only ten (OK eleven this season thanks to a forced break for the Americans) weeks of GoT (Stargate SG 1 was 20 episodes per year) it leaves a lot of the year for fans to forget about it. So holding back on the DVDs to renew their interest later in the year makes sense.

I don't know if this is the place to ask, but why, when the writers were making up stories could they turn out 20 episodes, yet the writers here are basically adapting a written story, but can only manage 10 episodes?
      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
        I don't know if this is the place to ask, but why, when the writers were making up stories could they turn out 20 episodes, yet the writers here are basically adapting a written story, but can only manage 10 episodes?
        There's a multitude of reasons for this but I would say among the top is the production costs and budget here allow for only a certain number of episodes. If you notice all premium cable networks' (HBO, Showtime, etc.) shows have somewhere around that number ~10 episodes per season as they tend to offer quality over quantity. These are also 55 mins - 1 hr long as opposed to 40 mins.

The costs of producing a show on this scale are much more massive than something like SG-1. Just the fact that they film in 3 or 4 different locations around the globe brings the costs way up.

You also gotta keep it interesting, you don't need 20 episodes to adapt this story. It would just drag way too long.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
          You also gotta keep it interesting, you don't need 20 episodes to adapt this story. It would just drag way too long.
          I'm usually for a full season pick up of any shows, but sometimes the shorter season just fits perfectly, I actually think in this case a full season pick up might ruin the show

Just keep it going forever and ever , or atleast to its storyline conclusion
          Last Movie Watched
          X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
          Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
            I'm usually for a full season pick up of any shows, but sometimes the shorter season just fits perfectly, I actually think in this case a full season pick up might ruin the show

A full season is 10 episodes in this case

It will likely go for seven to eight seasons. Plus GRRM has told the producers of the show the endgame for the story, so even if the books don't get finished (*knock on wood* that they do) they will still be able to conclude the series.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post

10 episodes is a full season for this; HBO shows that get full-season pickups tend to get 10-13 episodes per.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I understand now.
                I worry that HBO will pull the pin if it carries on too long. SG1 went 10 years, & Atlantis kicked in for 3 seasons (I think), then both were axed forcing Ark of Truth & Continuum to tie up the loose ends on SG1.
                http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

As of this season's finale, Game of Thrones has moved up to being HBO's second most-watched TV series ever (below The Sopranos). Between being a ratings juggernaut for the channel, and it having secured itself as a massive cultural phenomenon, I don't think we have to worry too much about an abrupt ending a la SG1/SGA/SGU
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    As of this season's finale, Game of Thrones has moved up to being HBO's second most-watched TV series ever (below The Sopranos). Between being a ratings juggernaut for the channel, and it having secured itself as a massive cultural phenomenon, I don't think we have to worry too much about an abrupt ending a la SG1/SGA/SGU
                    Oh it has passed True Blood?

sigpic

Comment

I checked my Sky+ box last night. I've still got 6 episodes of season 2 and all of season 3 to watch... :: Gulps ::
                      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                      To thy own self... Be true
                      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Originally posted by Starfist View Post

I checked my Sky+ box last night. I've still got 6 episodes of season 2 and all of season 3 to watch... :: Gulps ::
                        I'm like that too (although not with GoT). Save 'em up and "binge view" them. It's a nice way to watch TV, but you miss the online conversations contemporaneous with the broadcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
                          Oh it has passed True Blood?
                          Indeed it did!

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                            Well with only ten (OK eleven this season thanks to a forced break for the Americans) weeks of GoT (Stargate SG 1 was 20 episodes per year) it leaves a lot of the year for fans to forget about it. So holding back on the DVDs to renew their interest later in the year makes sense.

the problem with making it so long until they release the discs is piracy. not everyone can afford cable tv. if bringing out the discs sooner cuts down the piracy rates then thats a good move.

Comment

Hi all,
                              I thought I'd share this with you all.
                              There is a convention being held on 28th February - 2nd March 2014 at the Radisson Edwardian Hotel, Heathrow.
                              Called Thron3con. Link provided below.

http://www.seanharry.com/throne/index.htm
                              "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
                              Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
                              Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
                              Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
                              I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
                              To thy own self... Be true
                              May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Oberyn Martell has been cast
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X